Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hakka wing chun

Blog Entries

This is SAAM PAI FAT 三拜佛, not Hakka Wingchun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIrfg...eature=related
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

Yes, that is Sam Bai Fut demonstrated by Cheng Kwong's ex wife in Hong Kong. Not Hakka WCK!

Amazing to see it here online!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    what is the origin of Sam Bai Fut? It looks kinda like Wing Chun and Hung Kuen.

Siu-Lum, Hakka,Wing Chun, so many dots to connect....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Rik,

It is another branch passed down from the Red Boat Opera People, particularly to Dai Fa Mien Kam to Fung Siu Ching and then descended amongst several familiies. They retain the characters (Perpetual Spring), often romanized as Weng Chun, whereas Wing Chun Kuen (Praise Opera Fist) is romanized differently. It is a close cousin to other branches of WCK, but has a distinct bigger horse and more Siu Lam like attibutes than Praise Opera Fist.

"Chun" in the Ching dynasty referred to "Spring", "Opera", or "Sex".

Hope this helps. You could also refer to info on Jee Shim Weng Chun. My friend Andreas Hoffman is an authority on the system.

Best regards,

wow, "Praise Sex"

(gives new meaning to the term,"Laymen.")

-no wonder China has a population problem!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    as well as seamen

um, yeah, but in traditional Martial history, many of the rebels and founders of our arts were laymen followers, rather than monks who took Buddhist vows (chastity being one of them!) hense the play on words.

Although many hid and trained on the Hung Suen (Red Opera Boats) so I guess you could say they were also Seamen
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

This thread is becuming a tad sticky...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

well, if ya wanna have your Gung-Fu effective for the street, you need to have your mind in the gutter!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Well, linked to the Hung Suen were floating brothels... These were the Flower boats.
    Last edited by chusauli; 10-31-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Well, linked to the Hung Suen were floating brothels... These were the Red flower boats.
    Uh oh! I can't see this going unanswered. Gird your loins Chu sifu!

Still, it is true that floating brothels were known as 'faa teng' (flower boats).

It's weird, but the rooting structure, stances, footwork and tactics of Wing Chun have always conjured up an image of maritime hand-to-hand combat for me. I've never really seen much info to support the fact, except the Red-boat connection, but there's always been a certain resonance with the physical reality of Wing Chun and naval hand-to hand requirements. No acrobatics, no high kicks, no schuai jiao with the intent to throw your opponent under the feet of battling hordes, and a focus on one-one one engagement within multiple opponent scenarios. It's as though there are design elements that resonate with a) the spatial/structural requirements of combat on a moving confined space, such as the deck of a boat or below deck, and b) the average combatant density (number of fighters) in naval hand-to-hand conflict. The weapons are also well suited to naval combat. Anyone have any concrete evidence to support these ideas?
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    It's weird, but the rooting structure, stances, footwork and tactics of Wing Chun have always conjured up an image of maritime hand-to-hand combat for me. I've never really seen much info to support the fact, except the Red-boat connection, but there's always been a certain resonance with the physical reality of Wing Chun and naval hand-to hand requirements. No acrobatics, no high kicks, no schuai jiao with the intent to throw your opponent under the feet of battling hordes, and a focus on one-one one engagement within multiple opponent scenarios. It's as though there are design elements that resonate with a) the spatial/structural requirements of combat on a moving confined space, such as the deck of a boat or below deck, and b) the average combatant density (number of fighters) in naval hand-to-hand conflict. The weapons are also well suited to naval combat. Anyone have any concrete evidence to support these ideas?
    Well, it could be the case of a system being designed for the environment it is used in or a system MODIFIED for that environment or even a case of "looking back in history" to see a simple coincedence.
    We may never know for sure...
    Fun to speculate though.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !