Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles Mantis Schools

Los Angeles Mantis Schools

I practice wah lum tam tui mantis (4 years) and I have just started learning seven star mantis. It took me a long time to finally find a good sifu in the right location (L.A is really big in case you've never been here). I can think of three mantis schools other than my own, does anyone have a list of all the mantis schools in L.A?

Thanks

The greatest battle of all is the battle with yourself

si_newbie Guest

=)

What is 7 star mantis?

Papieboni Guest

I have a good suggestion!

Black Jack,

My advice to you is to find a Sifu/school that is able to provide you with whatever you are looking for and be dedicated to them and what they are attempting to achieve in you so that you may learn the essence of the system. And be open to positive criticism and learn from your mistakes or leaks in your cup that may keep you from filling it up.

I think you should probably contact me off this forum as soon as you read this message. This is your SIFU!

And any suggestions from the rest of the members to black Jack concerning other martial arts schools in the LA area is greatly appreciated.

[This message was edited by KickingMantis on 11-11-00 at 03:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by KickingMantis on 11-11-00 at 03:38 AM.]

Black Jack Guest
    Wrong guy.

I am Black Jack and this guy is Black Palm.

He is the one who wants the Mantis infol

Regards

8StepStudent Guest

8 Step Headquarter

Hey Black Palm. The 8 Step Praying Mantis Headquarters is in L.A. Here's the specific address... Go check it out!

15930 Halliburton Rd.
    Hacienda Height, CA 97145

unicornfist Guest
    Do you guys know about Lin Chin Fu?

Lin Chin Fu is a 74 year old 8 Step Praying Mantis master who trained with Wei Hsiao-Tang in Taiwan for 30 years.

He is photographed as a disciple in one of three books written by master Wei. These books are still readily available in Taiwan today.

Master Lin still teaches 8 Step, in the tradition of master Wei, at a park near L.A., California. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

8StepStudent Guest

Yeah... But

Yeah, but why would you wanna learn from him when you could learn from the sole inheritor of the 8 Step Praying Mantis system? No offence or anything.

unicornfist Guest

Sole Inheriter?

Likewise, no offence..But, Xun Guang Long (James Sun) is not photographed or named as a disciple in any of Wei Hsiao-Tang's books. Have you ever seen evidence of your teacher's claims? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

8StepStudent Guest

Yes

Master Sun has Master Wei's blessing. Likewise if you don't believe that.. Just go a couple of rounds with him.

unicornfist Guest
    With all due respect, what does "Master Wei's blessing" mean? I'm not trying to argue...just curious. What kind of proof is that? I just think it is strange that Xun Guang Long (James Sun) was never photographed or named a disciple in any of Wei Xiao-Tang's books. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

8StepStudent Guest

It Means...

Master Wei's blessing is basically a sheet of paper that says you're the sole inheritor of the system. That's proof. Just because something is not in a book you're going to dismiss it...? Come on... There's magazines and books publishing B.S. Does that mean you'll accept that just because they're published?

unicornfist Guest
    The 3 books that I am referring to were written by Grand-Master Wei Xiao-Tang himself. A friend of mine is going to Taiwan to study 8 Step from another 75 year old senior disciple of Wei Xiao-Tang. I'll see if he can pick you up an extra copy of these three books...okay. Talk to you soon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

beiquan Guest

los angeles

the only schools that i know of in LA which teach mantis are Ken Edwards' school in pasadena (wahlum tamtui, i guess you're from here?), Manuel Marquez' school down in the south bay somewhere(no idea what style), and kam yuen's 7-star school (no idea where that is). i myself study northern shaolin in los angeles.

peace

Papieboni Guest

Los Angeles Area Mantis Schols

Just for the record...., there is also Wright's Kung Fu Academy in North Hollywood, San fernando Valley, LA County The cirriculum is 7* and traditions from Wah Lum, Sifu John Cheng, MD, Southern California Kung Fu Exchange he teaches 7 Star in Orange County, Sifu Don Newton in San Bernardino (Tai Chi Mantis.

" Moss Never Grows on a Rolling Stone"

8stepsifu Guest

Master Sun

Master Wei had a public cerimony when Master Sun was 26 naming him his successor. This was around the time Master Wei stopped teaching. The reason master Wei's students don't know much about Master Sun is because he didn't train with them and most of them went on before Master Sun was the successor. The Sifu your talking about is quite a bit older than Master Sun. Master Wei's books which I've seen and show very puplic demonstrations of this and that mixed up sets etc. If the don't mention Master Sun then I'm assuming that it is because they were writen before the diciple cerimony. You don't have to go rounds with him. There were other people/ masters of other styles present. Master Wei passed the system on to one person and had public students. I have no doubt that the 75 year old guy is very good. He might even know as much as me, he's certainly no master. Anyway, who trained him from age 6 to a level where he could do this? Master Wei did. And if there were so many other great mantis masters, then why didn't they fight?
    You can get all philisophical and say that 8 step isn't for fighting, but that would prove that your not from Master Wei's lineage. Master Sun was a figher, Master Wei was a fighter, Feng Hua Yi was a fighter and Chiang Hua Long was a fighter. One generation; one grandmaster. That hasn't changed for the last 250 years. Until now and if you want to be part of that tradition you can. If you have the oppontunity, then its yours to learn.

I think it's cool that your friend is learning from the old 8 Step Sifu. If you can find any pics of Master Wei please post them to help preserve 8 Step's history. Thanx

8Step Sif

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 11-14-00 at 11:31 PM.]