Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Los Angeles Mantis Schools

8StepStudent Guest

Books

If you can get extra copies of those books and bring them back to America... I will happily purchase them from you.

Arod1972 Guest

Why did Sun move?

Anyone, Do you know why James Sun moved to LA?
    Tamoke

8stepsifu Guest

I think I know

From what I understand he wanted to open an LA branch, he had Sifu's that were teaching in SF so he decided to open a school somewhere warmer. Unfortunately the SF school burned down after he went to teach in L.A., but there is still Sifu Tosh in El Cerrito.

BTW...I'd also like some Master Wei books.

8Step Sifu

Arod1972 Guest

Sadly

Well, I wouldnt say that the people that taught there should be labeled "Sifu" since they never passed the test, more less should be "Sigung" (elder student). there was only on person who was Sifu status(Alan Yakamoto) and he only taught on Tuesday/Thursdays if that. I was a student there and now have moved to Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun taught directly from Master Garret Gee. When Sifu left the Bay area i felt the school lost value because student were teaching students, which i did not think was the best for me. Its sad because it seems like when you spread out and open schools all over it seems to cheapen the style. And i have many friends there that i care for there but I cant get them to contact me. i keep leaving messages but no one responds. So does anyone know whats going on with the SF branch?
    I do not wish to fight.
    Tamok

unicornfist Guest

Discussion not Argument

Hey 8 Step Sifu. I did some research...Please don't blame the messanger for the message.

Master Wei was born 1901 and died 1982. When the communists took over China in 1949, Wei fled to Korea. It was after that, he moved to Taiwan (around 1950)

Some of Wei's senior students were with him for some 30 years, including Wong Jie-Long and Lin Chin-Fu. These guys are in there 70's and still teaching 8 Step. This 30 year period is also representative of the time from when Wei moved to Taiwan, around 1950, until his death in 1982.

Other contemporary 8 Step sufu's studied from WEi at various points along this 30 year time line...Zuo Xian-Fu (Hsin Tien), Su Yu-Zhang (N.Y.), Liang Ji Ci (Boston), and Peng Han-Ping (Taipei). After Peng's death last year, his student, Liu Zhi-Zong took over classes.

It would seem one of these people be aware of such a public ceremony; But no one acknowledges Xun Guang-Long (James Sun) as even having directly trained with Wei Xiao-Tang, let alone be the sole inheritor of the 8 Step style.

I'll see what I can do about getting you those books. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

8stepsifu Guest

absolutely nothing against these gentlemen

Why would they say that he's the Grandmaster and inheritor of the system. It wouldn't benefit them. They learned what they learned from Master Wei and it's not their concern. Still, nice timeline. Again I would like to say that I am very glad that you are non-confrontationally showing facts and asking questions rather than libeling like some other posters. I don't know very much about 8 Step people that don't directly concern me. With time, I'm sure that I will, but as it is, when we get together its continuing education, plans to keep quality throughout the schools at it's highest (which was a concern of the above poster) and making sure that everything is uniform throughout the schools. If I get any time to talk with Master Sun its about Ideas I have to make things easier for both student and Sifus or information for kung fu articles, and promotional material logos etc for my school. We really haven't talked about everyone that studied with Master Wei or Feng Hua Yi etc. To tell the truth all were concerned about are the Grandmasters, their history and contributions to the 8 Step system. Some students of Master Wei's students say that Master Sun made up the throwing and joint locks and their integration into 8 step etc. From my perspective and level of understanding, I can very safely say that if he did, then he's the Leonardo Di Vinci of kung fu. Also I hear stuff on here that there are only 3 or 4 "real" 8 step sets and the rest are fake, which translates into...."We only know 3 or 4 sets." I don't think this is you or your friend, I'm just saying that that's the kind of nonsense that I get from people. Please tell me more..I've always been curious about Master Wei from someone else's perspective. Have any Master Wei photos or stories? If so please share them.

I would also like to add that before I said that the 75 year old Sifu might have as much info as I do. I don't mean to say that after 30+ years, we have the same abilities. I know that Master Sun is offering up more than Master Wei was. Both Lin Chin Fu and I are evidently Sifu's certified by respective generation Grandmaster's. I also have no doubt that when I am his age that my abilities will far exceed his because of the bulk of information that is being offered to those who stick with it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Lin Chin Fu could most likely kick my ass, but you'd be better off being my student because he has Sifu level material and through me you have an opportunity to learn far more and become greater. If It was only possible to reach Sifu level and nothing higher then either choice would be good, but for the opportunity to go in depth and learn the heart and soul of 8 Step and Tai Chi, there is no contest.

8Step Sif

[This message was edited by 8stepsifu on 11-15-00 at 10:43 PM.]

molum_jr Guest

BFD...

Not to side track you, but Garrett Gee's older brother also knows Wing Chun but choses to teach Fu Style Martial Arts on Wednesday nights. Garrett gets ALL the publicity, but the second brother has chosen to stay in the background and out of the lime light.

Because of interpretation, age, temperment, and physical built their wing chun is also different. If you get the opportunity, get some Fu Style under your belt before it disappears from the scene. Their father has long since retired. By the way, did you know that Bruce Lee's sister, Phoebe, is a practitioner of Fu Tai Chi and learnt from Garrett's father?

As far as all this Eight Steps stuff...YAWN...interesting but I am staying outside, enjoying the weather and sipping my green tea.

Arod1972 Guest

molum_jr

molum_jr,
    Thats great info, my sifu was surprized to hear this and asked me where i got this info from.
    So may i ask where did you get all this information, are you from the bay area?
    Tamok

I do not wish to fight.

cgtan Guest

clear out some cloud about 8 steps

The last time I try to clear out similar cloud
    like this I Lost a kungfu brother I respected
    very much as friend. Hope this time around it is not that bad.
    Brother Lin was a student of our late master
    Wei for many years it Taiwan. he was there before
    I started my training with Master Wei.

To my knowledge, there are only a handful students
    who have mastered the art of 8-step mantis. Among them are James Sun, Chiu Shiung Wang, Yu-Chang Su and one that disappear during the second world war.

I received my basic training from master Wei and
    Brother Wang. I trained with James after I run into him when I came to San Fancisco. Both James and Wang demontrated deep knowledge in 8-steps well beyond the understanding of my other kungfu brothers.

I personally don't want to see argument like this
    among the 8-steps pratitioners. Regadless of
    what you think, if you decided to learn the 8-step
    technique, you should listen to me, your kungfu
    uncle, and put this to rest.

tan