Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tao of Wing Chun Do ?

Tao of Wing Chun Do ?

Is the Tao of Wing Chun Do style what represents Bruce Lee s Jun Fan Wing Chun Gung Fu or what is in the book by James Yimm Lee s book on Wing Chun is there a difference in these two styles from Bruce Lee ?

Wing Chun Do refers to the style taught by Jim DeMile.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Wing Chun Way is Wing Chun Way.

FWIW Tao IS Do!! Just a term that translates as 'way' or 'path' I wouldn't say that Jim Demile is the only person doing this either, as we all are imo especially if we have a 'way' to our teaching that is unique or individual.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Once again, "Wing Chun Do" refers to Jim DeMiles style. He is the creator of the system based on, inter alia, time spent with Bruce Lee.

Bruce Lee created labels for his arts including Jun Fan and Jeet Kune Do. In a similar fashion, Wing Chun Do is a label to describe what DeMile teaches.

LoneTiger,

I think the question asked was specific enough not to require pseudo-philosophical rambling such as "we all are imo especially if we have a 'way' to our teaching that is unique or individual".

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    I think the question asked was specific enough not to require pseudo-philosophical rambling...
    Point taken Suki.

It is strange how some view my comments, as I was simply having a bit of fun with the language. That's all, no disrepsect intended here.

FWIW Jun Fan was part of Bruces birth name and Jeet Kune (jit Kuen) is a Wing Chun principle. I have also heard from certain sources that Bruces earlier students, like James, only ever learnt Wing Chun as that was how Bruce referred to everything back then.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 10-02-2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Neither Kimura nor Glover teach 'Wing Chun Do'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Neither Kimura nor Glover teach 'Wing Chun Do'.
    Sorry I was actually referring to what Bruce taught them back in the good old days, not Wing Chun Do

I will edit my other post.

You can see how much of a departure that Bruce Lee, and in particular his student Jesse Glover, made from the precepts of Wing Chun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXphvGJoacM

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

FWIW Tao IS Do!!
    Isn't "Do" a Japanese word?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

FWIW Tao IS Do!!
    Hello Spencer,

Isn't "Do" a Japanese word? As in Karate-Do?

And is it true that Bruce Lee used it as a promotion device for his Jeet Kune Do?

At least that is what has been said by some people.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Hello Spencer,

Isn't "Do" a Japanese word? As in Karate-Do?

And is it true that Bruce Lee used it as a promotion device for his Jeet Kune Do?

At least that is what has been said by some people.
    "Do" is Cantonese for the Mandarin "Tao". It just so happens that Do is the same in Japanese. Jeet Kuen Do is Chinese as is Wing Chun Do. (Do can also mean knife in Cantonese ).
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

cjurakpt Guest
    "do" is the Japanese word for the the Mandarin word "tao"; however, in Cantonese, it's pronounced "douh", which is very similar sounding to how it is said in Japanese;

"jeet kune do" is a Cantonese term, but it is transliterated without regard to the standardized system of doing so (Yale) - if it had been done so "correctly", it would have been spelt "jiht kyuhn douh"; I don't know why this was the case - perhaps Lee was not familiar with the Yale system (even to date it is not that widely known, at least not nearly as much as Pinyin is for Mandarin); I would guess that Lee used "do" because that's how the term was spelt when used with other more well-known arts (karate-do, ju-do, taekwon-do) and he knew that it was the same Chinese character, and since the pronunciations were very similar, he just went with that spelling (certainly the recognition factor would have been to his advantage as well)
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 10-15-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    "Do" is Cantonese for the Mandarin "Tao".
    Thanks for clearing that one up. The question had been lingering in my mind for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    (Do can also mean knife in Cantonese ).
    I hope that wasn't a threat!

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that one up. The question had been lingering in my mind for a while.

I hope that wasn't a threat!

The Yale University Romanization for the Cantonese dialect teaches that there are 7 tones. Meaning that one word can have seven different meanings depending on the tone/musical note used. I was simply pointing that fact out. I have no clue as to why you'd think my clarifying the word "Do" was threatening.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post

The Yale University Romanization for the Cantonese dialect teaches that there are 7 tones. Meaning that one word can have seven different meanings depending on the tone/musical note used. I was simply pointing that fact out. I have no clue as to why you'd think my clarifying the word "Do" was threatening.
    It was a joke Phil!

A play on words, hence the funny faces/smiles....see,

Take care.