Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: marijuana tcm?!?!?!?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    You need to know more than a single point to be effective in acupuncture. The way it is done in N. America is more like a distant cousin to acu/moxa in China. In the states people many people cry with any stimulation.
    you are aware that the study was conducted in Switzerland, right?

Just to be clear...I do not partake of cannabis in any form...

And to clarify an earlier point here...

The most recent studies citing DNA damage from SMOKING marijuana was very specifically about smoking it. The study also pointed out the DNA damage from smoking cigarettes as well. The study was tying the damage to the smoke.

While smoking cannabis is probably the easiest method to get it into your system, there are other methods...as in the notable brownies and even spaghetti sauce with cannabis combined with oregano.

I would say that if they truly want to study the use of the drug, doing so with removing the obvious health risk of inhaling smoke (and having asthma, I can tell you that inhaling ANY form of smoke is not a great thing for MY lungs)...they should use other methods of delivering the cannabinoids instead of smoking it.

Back OT

Oakland's fiscal health improves with medical marijuana tax
    July 21, 8:46 PMSF Wellness Examiner Angela Rosen

Oakland, California has become the first city in the US to tax the proceeds of medical marijuana. The measure was passed by 80 percent of voters on Tuesday, July 20th. The 1.8% gross receipts tax on the four licensed medical dispensaries is going to generate a significant amount of revenue for the ailing city’s budget, with estimates varying between $215,000 and $350,000 per dispensary per year.

Medical marijuana is a controversial topic for health care practitioners of all fields. Not only are there the legal issues to contend with, the benefit of the drug is up for debate. The temporary benefits of marijuana use are acknowledged, especially for patients who are critically ill. However, there is very little evidence that long-term use of marijuana will do little more than suppress symptoms.

The most common conditions for which medical marijuana is prescribed are:

1. Side effects of chemotherapy
    2. Fibromyalgia
    3. Arthritis
    4. Glaucoma
    5. Premenstrual Syndrome
    6. Alzheimer’s
    7. HIV/AIDS
    8. Crohn’s Disease
    9. Migraines
    10. Insomnia

Marijuana is prescribed for the symptoms related to these conditions, not the treatment of the original condition. For cancer patients who are being treated with chemotherapy and are suffering from nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite, marijuana can literally be a lifesaver as its effects quell nausea and stimulate the appetite.

But consider this: from the perspective of Traditional Chinese Medicine, smoking in the form of a rolled cigarette or pipe introduces a significant amount of heat into the body. This heat is dehydrating to the body.

The human body needs to be hydrated to perform normal physiological functions. Medical authorities claim that our bodies are 67% water. Following this line of thinking, when the body is chronically dehydrated by smoke, as it can be with marijuana, this dramatically increases inflammation.

For conditions like arthritis, which means “inflammation of the joint,” the treatment of such a condition by a substance that ultimately causes more inflammation in the body is counterproductive.

Follow-up articles discussing more of the health related aspects of medical marijuana will appear this week.

There is a lack of comprehensive research in this field, partially due to the fact that marijuana is still an illegal drug. As the popularity of cannabis clubs increase, which is sure to happen if they are going to be seen as a local revenue source for struggling city economies, it is important to ask, are the people who need help the most really going to benefit?
    Poorly researched article. Smoking is only one way to medicate with marijuana. Every club offers edibles. The author should have visited one of those Oaksterdam clubs (or at least visited one of their websites) before drawing her conclusion.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Poorly researched article. Smoking is only one way to medicate with marijuana. Every club offers edibles. The author should have visited one of those Oaksterdam clubs (or at least visited one of their websites) before drawing her conclusion.
    this is the problem with the internet, anyone write an article and put it on the internet. anyhow, im off to write an informative opinionated article about the suffers of the menstruation cycle.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

"A state athletic commissioner in Nevada argued Diaz was numb to pain because of excessive marijuana in his system."

LOL!!!...just lol.....being stupid must be a requirment to land the state athletic commissioner in Nevada position.

so, he was so loaded with thc he was an un feeling killing maching? haha. its actually more impressive then considering his overall reaction time would have been reduced....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ttt 4 2013

The $900,000 question is "is marijuana a PED?"

Boxer Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.’s marijuana use safer than alcohol
    Posted on March 19, 2013 at 11:20 am by David Downs in Legal, sports

A sport predicated on brain damage? Celebrated. A drug shown to prevent cognitive decline? Banned. A billboard calling out such hypocrisy? Priceless.

Boxer Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr.’s $900,000 fine and nine-month suspension for testing positive for marijuana is the subject of a new billboard unveiled in Las Vegas today. According to the national legalization lobby Marijuana Policy Project, the billboard decries the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s Punishment of Chavez Jr. for using pot, as Chavez prepares to file a lawsuit challenging the huge fine. The nation’s largest marijuana policy organization paid for the advertisement and calls on NSAC to drop the penalties and ‘stop driving athletes to drink’.

Here’s the graphic of the billboard at 2001 Western Ave., Las Vegas, which references a new poll showing a solid majority of Nevada voters support making marijuana legal for adults and regulating it like alcohol.

MPP “calls on the NSAC to drop the excessive penalties against Chavez and change its policy so that it no longer steers athletes toward using alcohol by threatening to punish them if they choose to use the less harmful substance – marijuana.”

MPP intends to deliver a request to the NSAC in the form of a Change.org petition that currently has more than 5,250 signatures – http://chn.ge/ZqWSuX.

“Issuing such harsh penalties for marijuana does nothing to promote the health and safety of athletes,” wrote Mason Tvert, director of communications for the Marijuana Policy Project in a statement. “If anything, it puts them in danger by steering them toward using alcohol and away from making the safer choice to use marijuana instead.”

“Marijuana is far less toxic, less addictive, and less likely to contribute to violent and aggressive behavior than alcohol,” Tvert said. “The NSAC should change its marijuana policy and stop driving athletes to drink.”

Furthermore, the U.S. government has sought to patent pot’s ingredients like cannabidiol for use as a non-toxic neuroprotectant during incidents of brain damage like stroke, or, I don’t know, repeated punches to the head.

Public Policy Polling has found a solid majority (54%) of Nevada voters would support a ballot initiative to make marijuana legal for adults and regulate it like alcohol.

A bill to make marijuana legal for adults was introduced in the Nevada Legislature on Friday by Assemblyman Joe Hogan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pot has good uses. Such as anti nausea and creating an appetite. But my worries would be long term use in pregnant women. What could be the effects. Alcohol and other drugs can cause serious birth defects. I have on occasion used pot to curb a really bad nausea problem and to help me maintain my appetite. I have a terminal issue that does not cause me pain so I have no need for pain killers. I do drink my share and several other's share of alcohol though. I am really buzzing as I type. I told my doctor that I felt pretty bad once and he told me that the blood content of my alcohol was too high. Life is nothing more than an illusion, and no one should have to go through something like that sober.
    Jackie Lee

As acceptance moves closer, the fringe freaks will grow louder with their protests etc etc. Let them. They are the types of people who have a country in a position where it now must vote on whether some of it's citizens are as human and entitled to the benefits of the rest of the humans that live there.

Cannabis should never have been made illegal. It was only done so to screw the Kentucky hemp farmers after W.R. Hearst got his monopoly on making paper out of trees instead. Once again, an oligarchical misdeed has screwed over a nation that calls itself free for almost 100 years of it's existence.

But don't feel bad, I live in a country that has a government that is naught but a boot lick to your government these days. It would have been legal and accepted here years ago if not for foolish conservative opposition the only reason for which I can see is that if it remains illegal, the price stays inflated.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I read that it is listed as a class 1 drug. Amongst the worst of the worst. Over in East Texas the stuff grows wild on the clear cuts until the trees get so big they shade the stuff out. The loggers, only a couple do all the logging now, smoke the stuff and bury the roach so no one will know, and it gets a start. In a couple of years it is everywhere. Then the dope cops swear it is a weed plantation.
    One of the better ways to do it is to turn it into snuff with a coffee bean grinder. You take a pinch and sniff it up the nose like the old aristocrats did ages ago and you get a shotgun blast high right in the face. Just because you are using it as a medicine don't mean you shouldn't also enjoy it. Hey, I only drink for medicinal purposes.

Ever watch Weed Country? These guys are wanting to push for legal pot growing, but they could do a much better job of representing the drug. One minute they are talking about growing only for the poor cancer kids and such, then next they are talking about how much wealth they are going to make from growing it, then they sit and smoke the stuff like they are trying to fatally overdose on it. It gives a bad taste to the agnostics sitting on the fence over it.
    Jackie Lee

woah...

...cannabis for hemorrhoids, man. mind blown.

Cannabis Use in Traditional Chinese Medicine

Posted in: Health, Lifestyle, Medicine, News by Antonia on 29 Dec, 2014

(TRFW News) For over 4,000 years, the cannabis plant has been a reliable source for textile fibers, medicine and food. The Chinese, who are renowned for perfecting herbal medicine and concocting some of the earliest effective treatments against a range of debilitating conditions, were the first civilization to cultivate and use marijuana extensively. Ancient Chinese literature documents over 100,000 medicinal recipes and almost 2 million different types of drugs based almost exclusively on plants.

China high: a cure-all with widespread applicability

Dr. Li Gou Yong, author of the Bencao Gangmu, or Compendium of Materia Medica, explains that in Chinese Traditional Medicine, marijuana is called Da Ma. Although the Chinese recognized the plant’s consciousness altering effects early on, they also took note of its potential therapeutic uses. In fact, marijuana quickly became one of the fifty fundamental herbs of Chinese medicine, which means it was added to an impressive number of recipes.

During ancient times, its versatility and low toxicity had turned marijuana into the remedy of choice for most of the common ailments affecting the Chinese people. A wide range of symptoms, from moderate pain and inflammation to ulcerations, could be improved through the consumption of cannabis. What is truly remarkable about the Chinese approach is that they would try to use the entire plant in some form or another, thereby minimizing potential waste.

The flowers and leaves of the cannabis plant can be used to treat wounds and menstrual pains. Marijuana stalks, on the other hand, are a dietary source of natural plant fibers, but can also be consumed for their diuretic effects. According to Dr. Li Gou Yong, cannabis can be used to treat hemorrhoids, colitis, anal prolapse and chronic diarrhea. In combination with other herbs, cannabis will produce remarkable synergistic effects, which can even mitigate its less desirable, psychoactive effects. Furthermore, Dr. Li does not recommend smoking the herb, as that will inevitably lead to the inhalation of harmful chemicals associated with combustion.

Scientific research backs many of the traditional claims

Modern science has shown that marijuana contains chemical compounds that have analgesic and antispasmodic effects, which can help relieve tension and soothe pain. The seeds are usually crushed for consumption, and can be added to laxative and diuretic concoctions, as well as tonic infusions. Seeds would sometimes also be used to eliminate intestinal parasites, stimulate blood flow, protect the stomach lining, and boost metabolic functions.

The oil extracted from the cannabis plant is prescribed for the treatment of hair loss, throat soreness, and sulfur poisoning. Juice extracted from the plant’s leaves can be added to various salves and poultices that are recommended against insect stings and parasite infestations. Marijuana juice has anti-hemorrhagic properties, and was traditionally used in China to stabilize mothers immediately after having given birth. Marijuana was noted to have antiperiodic effects as well, so it can be consumed regularly to ease the intensity of virtually any kind of symptoms.

Sources for this article include:

(1) antiquecannabisbook.com
    (2) www.narconon.org
    (3) books.google.ro
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Guangdong man grows marijuana farm after learning skills online

Police in Foshan, Guangdong, recently arrested three men for illegally growing marijuana in a local greenhouse and attempting to sell it, China News reports.

Located in Sanshui, a district in Foshan, the marijuana farm was disguised as a hop greenhouse and suspected by local residents before investigations. Inside, police discovered cannabis plants and some packed cannabis flowers and leaves.

The owner of the farm, surnamed Li, confessed to the police that the idea of growing his own pot came up a year ago after he discovered some leftover seeds from smoking weed. In the beginning, he only wanted to grow weed for his own use. After harvesting 420 seeds by planting only three, Li discovered his green thumb and decided to grow more for some quick profits by building a greenhouse with the help of two friends. Without any experience, Li started the business by buying all the equipment himself and learning the skills for growing online.

Sadly for Li, his precious operation was busted by police before the first bag of products was even sold.

In 2013, a marijuana farm was also discovered in Shenzhen, another city in Guangdong province. In China, growing, selling and possessing marijuana are illegal activities. The news about Jaycee Chan, the son of Jackie Chan, and actor Kai Ko being charged for marijuana use in August last year stirred a heated discussion in China’s public sphere. Jaycee Chan was sentenced six months in jail earlier this month.

By Zizhu Zhang
    Wait, wait....packed cannabis flowers and leaves? Clearly this grower didn't finish his online growing course. Then again, harvesting 420 seeds by planting only three? Perhaps this reporter just ain't clued in.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cool Helping to stir up the pot

This was one of my all time favorite threads... so much has changed since the thread was active and oh-so-controversial. Several states have now legalized it for recreational use, our president has "experimented" with it (he DID inhale), and people are surreptitiously vaping cannabis concentrates in public....

So the question now is - if cannabis is legalized for recreational purposes - would that change how you feel about using it in conjunction with your martial or Qi cultivation?

BTW for you academics out there: the Shen Nong Bencao Jing aka "The Divine Farmer's Classic of Herbal Substances", which most likely dates back to 200-300 AD, states the following regarding cannabis preparations:

Ma Fen is acrid and balanced. It mainly treats the seven damages, disinhibits the five viscera and precipitates the blood and cold qi. Taking much of it may make one behold ghosts and frenetically run abnout. Protratcted taking my enable one to communicate with the spirit light and make the body light. The seed is sweet and balanced. It mainly supplements the center and boosts the qi. Protracted taking may make one fat, strong and never senile. 1
    This quote is heavy with juice Next post I will decipher what some of the above implies to the Chinese medicine understanding of health.

Peace out

herb ox

1The Divine Farmer's Materia Medica: A Translation of the Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing; edited by Shouzhong Yang; Pg 148

Shen Nong tasted the 100 herbs...

So where were we?

Ma Fen is acrid and balanced. It mainly treats the seven damages, disinhibits the five viscera and precipitates the blood and cold qi. Taking much of it may make one behold ghosts and frenetically run about. Protracted taking my enable one to communicate with the spirit light and make the body light. The seed is sweet and balanced. It mainly supplements the center and boosts the qi. Protracted taking may make one fat, strong and never senile. 1

"Ma fen" here refers (or should I say "reefers") specifically to the powdered flower tops of the plant as opposed to "Ma ren", the hemp seed. In the above quote, Acrid means a spicy taste and a dispersing nature. Balanced refers to the temperature; by itself, cannabis is neither hot nor cold but neutral in temperature. Smoked, however, makes it take on the 'Fire' energy inherent to combustion, thus introducing considerable heat into the body via the Lungs.

Seven damages refer to disease caused by the seven major emotions: anger, fear, sorrow, joy, worry, fright and grief. Each emotion has a distinct effect on the Qi of various organs. Anger, for example, hurts the Liver Qi, and fear injures the Kidney Qi. The five viscera refer to the 5 zang/yin/solid organs: heart, lungs, kidneys, spleen, liver.

As the author quoted above notes, taking large quantities of cannabis has significant mind-altering effects. Seeing ghosts could be attributed to "Shen disturbance", or mental derangement, and the frenetically running around seems to imply the Qi has been made chaotic, ostensibly due to its dispersing nature. In the "Spiritual Axis" aka Ling Shu, it says "The eyes are the messengers of the Heart which houses the Mind. If the Mind and Essence are not coordinated and not transmitted, one has visual hallucinations. TheMind, Ethereal Soul and Corporeal Soul are scattered so that one has bewildering perceptions.

The passage also states the prolonged user may be able to communicate with the "sprit light" - though I need to refer to the actual Hanzi text, I believe this refers to the "Shen Ming", or the "essence spirit" contained within the body - that is to say the psyche or mental state. Alas, I am uncertain as to how it makes the "body light" - could this be a hunger-reducing (contra to munchies) effect of the cannabis or is it another altered state where the person simply feels lighter or unburdened? Further research is needed here

Overall, the passage seems to imply in proper amount cannabis can increase one's mental and energetic health. Too much for too long can create mental derangement or "shen disturbance". However, consuming products of the seed may reverse these effects as we will explore in the next post.

peace

herb ox

1The Divine Farmer's Materia Medica: A Translation of the Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing; edited by Shouzhong Yang; Pg 148[/QUOTE]

Totally. Thanks Herb Ox.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    People find the oddest ways to justify their vices.

Cannabis is an external substance. it will get you high, it is illegal in many countries.

It dulls the senses somewhat as far as motorskills and short term memory are concerned.

It does however relieve nausea and increase appetite in patients who it is prescribed to. It has no analgesic properties except for it's hypnotic effects.

using for the sake of using is merely abuse.
    That's so lo infomashun it sounds more like weak propaganda that went fail way back.
    It's pure ignorance none the less.

When people don't "get off" on something? Guess what they're getting off on. (Heh)
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu