Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate vs Kung Fu

traditional karate is very similar to chinese styles in the south. i respect all martial artists doesnt matter what style. i respect the okinawan and some japanese masters that recognize the huge almost 99% influence of fujian and zhejiang kung fu on karate. the complete messed up sheet styles like shotokan i dont respect. what they do is garbage.

people say karate is hard and stiff is because they train wrong. thats ignorant. . its a common bullsheet that the okinawa masters "distorted" the forms. nothing in traditional karate is distorted, the south kung fu styles they learned from were stiff.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3LmzEECPkrI
    at 5:30 this guy from zhejiang province does a sanzhan/sanchin form. his three battle form is very tense.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPhqvzp1uw
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=SijKntA8pdw
    this south taizu guy is very tense too. this style does sanchin/sanzhan too
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=F1DWDS...eature=related
    those guys from the same style does it soft.

theres no need to insult karate and say its simplified kung fu, tho i understand if most people only seen the mall kiddie karate they wont have a good opinion of it lol. traditional karate is straight up southern kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-03-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    Fu(k yea! That's the one. Thank you so much.

It's my favorite form (then Bak Mei's Chik Pu). Though I used to hate when we did it in class, like five or six of us at a time while other groups hit bags or drilled. We'd have to hold the horse stance low. Created strength, but it also lead to many years of bad knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    We'd have to hold the horse stance low. Created strength, but it also lead to many years of bad knees.

could it be that u practsised the horse stance wrong ? Or been wrongly taught ?

on toppic ...Karate is nice ,kung fu is nice ,mma is nice , judo is nice
    , thai boxing is nice, etc is nice ... as long u train it right...

now close the forum..there is no more to say

Quote Originally Posted by Laukarbo View Post
    could it be that u practsised the horse stance wrong ? Or been wrongly taught ?
    Could be. But we trained it so many ways the right one had to be in there.

I'm talking about form. Horse stance low. The things parallel with the floor. Back straight.

I have video of me doing that same form for cable TV when I was like eight on VHS. Going to try and get it digitized.

Thighs parallel to the floor is too low, at least in the style I do.

With any martial arts style, one has to constantly ask himself "What value am I deriving from doing this exercise?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
    Thighs parallel to the floor is too low, at least in the style I do.

With any martial arts style, one has to constantly ask himself "What value am I deriving from doing this exercise?"
    having your thighs paralell to the floor isnt tactically viable

but it makes your body work its hardest and delivers the best work out, improving your martial arts as a whole

so thats the value
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

three battles is a dynamic tension form. Near the entire kata is done with muscle contraction always on and strongly so.

It's silly to call the development method "stiff".
    It develops ytensile strength. Other kata are used for the ligaments and tendons and others still are used for speed and footwork, while other methods are employed to develop those different attributes that together make the whole ready for the real meat and potatoes of martial arts which is of course fighting and not doing forms.

forms are to be forgotten after they are understood.

l
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Lol, if you couldn't master that "form" after three classes, you should never even concider elementary shaolin.
    Let alone Wudang Gong Fu.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

People can spend a LIFETIME mastering that particular form, so it is not a shame to not have mastered that form after only 3 classes.

mastering form:

it has been my experience that you cannot fully master a form until you have been able to apply your applications in a free fighting format. You may learn the form and the movements, but until you can comprehend a majority of the applications and their relationship to free figthing, and how to apply them, you have not mastered your form.

I have learned a form, but then after being taught the applications and having taken time to learn to to apply those applications, the form took on 'new life' for each and every fully understood application i attained.

of course this is not to mention applications that cannot be applied in a freefighting format.

a lot of chin na applications wont be worked in free fighting, especially at the early stages of training, because chance for injury is too great.

thus we develop drills, which work toward the goal of understanding more complex applications that beginners should not try in actual sparring.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    Lol, if you couldn't master that "form" after three classes, you should never even concider elementary shaolin.
    Let alone Wudang Gong Fu.
    we'll all be happy to see your video documenting this claim;

he probably does internal, so his form can not most likely be captured correctly on film
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

cjurakpt Guest
    times like these, makes one kinda wish Roldan spent time on this forum...

we'll all be happy to see your video documenting this claim;

lol, what, am I a troll all of a sudden?

Come on, you can't be serious, there was no complexity to that at all.

Isn't this a gong fu forum?

Don't most of you do gong fu?

There is no way, even in xing yi, I have seen a form that basic before. Not in any school I have ever been to or attended, and not by any friends outside of kwoons.

I will admit, I have seen people doing karate before, personally, I've never seen any reason to look into it. I understand most people make fun of karate, I'm not doing that, I'm just saying...

Maybe I'm missing something.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

cjurakpt Guest
    what is complexity? yi quan has even fewer moves than xing yi and the core "form" is pretty much one "move", post standing: how complex is that?

my first sifu would sometimes show me 20 to 30 moves in a day - usually in rapid succession, maybe 3 times all together, and then I was on my own (and it would be expected that I remembered them and performed them proficiently the next time he saw me - he did this w/everyone - most people gave up and left after a short time) - and often you were learning a hand set and a weapon set simultaneously; my current taiji sifu took more than a year and a half to teach me the classical Yang form, spending weeks on one move sometimes; which approach was more complex?

one can take a "karate" form and note it's lack of length or depth; at face value, this might be as such; or one can take that same form and delve deeply into it - I still occasionally look back at several of the forms I used to do: bassai and naihanchi can yield particularly interesting when viewed from a TCMA perspective - sometimes a good way to see where you come from is to look at where you are going...

you must be somewhere around the 8 to 12 year mark in your training; give it another 10 or so, you might see things differently...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 10-05-2008 at 05:45 PM.