Thread: bridge hands training

Blog Entries

bridge hands training

Most southern kung fu systems has bridge hands training methods (kiu sao). To train it's practioners how to cover or occupy gates/doors being attacked. what are some of the two man san sao techniques in wing chun to apply this concept?

I think this question's answer is "chi sau" training which means sticking arms in english. This training is mostly for developping instincts(for directing the force), speed, reflexes and technique.

The line between chi sao and kiu sao is hazy and varies between lineages.

For TWC, IMO a variety of kiu sao training methods from various initial bridges are discussed in Willam Cheung's "Advanced Wing Chun".
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Bridge hand training

Chi sau, Lop sau, Pock Sau and Mun Sau. Basic drills add foot, work kicks then freestyle it.
    Cheers
    Don

Ahhh the closest in my mind would be Gor Sau... freestyle un co operative sticking...

As far as training to maintain gates etc Chi Sau Poon Sao and Lop Sau should all have aspects of this but not as free style of course as Gor IME.

Luk sau is relevant to IMO because for me its about loss of contact so your gates are more vunerable but it tends to not be as un co operative as Gor Sau.

Andrews right though, everyones differnt. So who's Kui Sau you talking about...id need vids for comparrison ?

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

There is also cross arm chi sao like Bruce Lee used in ETD and parallel arm chi sao
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    There is also cross arm chi sao like Bruce Lee used in ETD and parallel arm chi sao
    Phill, ever noticed after the Pak and the other guy blocks bruce Lops from under his own Bridge.....Lop Da for the win....

now its just a movie but that used to trip me out a bit cause actions from under your bridge was a no no where i learnt......well untill i learnt BJ

Funny cause i used to think it was fast too...not anymore. LOL
    DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The line between chi sao and kiu sao is hazy and varies between lineages.
    For some this may be true.

For me, kiu sau is explored whilst learning Chum Kiu. Chisau (in it's generic form) I understand has become more than it is imo. Loksau is practically never seen. Gorsau ends up a mess and as for other 'variations' of interactive partner training, most I see are simple set-set drills.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

For some this may be true.
    Different lineages define it differently so, looking at the um, generic picture, it's true for most, c'est ne pas?
    Last edited by anerlich; 10-10-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Most southern kung fu systems has bridge hands training methods (kiu sao). To train it's practioners how to cover or occupy gates/doors being attacked. what are some of the two man san sao techniques in wing chun to apply this concept?

By design VT arms are held in the upper middle area of the body , one leading one by the elbow of the lead. This design of arm angles is to allow me to deliver strikes that also prevent entry to me as I go forwards attacking you...the arms cant move from this line or they allow entry , sooo I move the whole 'unit' by chum kil ...this is our footwork to move the arms/angles to strike while also making the X of bridges work . Because we attempt to maneuver to a side of your entry you make a 'move' extend an arm /leg /body lunge...it is hard for you to control this energy if it is sent uncontrolled, so we attempt to take advantage of this by staying with you closely and following your attempts to recover the over swing /step/ turned kick etc....
    We use a tactical idea rather than a rehearsed response to try and fight your entry with strikes that by being centered and angled , relative to your movement, can X if contact is made by 'being there' rather than classical lateral blocking moves aka arm/hand chasing....VT uses this simple thinking to take advantage of the fact that most fighting methods incorporate lateral blocks done in a 1-2 fashion or 123 ....

So ! vt is tring to ocuppy a position dictated by your move/s to deliver strikes that are aimed along a line that naturally will intersect any strikes that come along the X....even if you turn infront of me trying to 'swipe' the strike away , we follow a blocked lead strike with the rear hand in a perpetual manner , chain punch...the elbows are kept low and in by training SLT , dan chi, chi sao etc,,, drills... so we dont deliver over extended arms/levers to you to manipulate against me....chi-na etc...because the arms are held low and tight to our fronts even if we meet contact they dont deform, from hours of chi-sao and real energy of arms meeting arms randomly....they hold and clear the lead line by using
    jut or sudden sharp jerking motion down and back 1-2 inches with the lead hand so the rear hand can strike through the gap created or follow up with another attacking action taking advatgae of whatever the out come is of that last move
    pak a sharp sudden lateral slap that moves to our centerline as the rear hand threads along the line to take its place as it retracts ...
    bong sudden sharp lateral deflection ...rear hand etc...

just a few but the list is endless due to the variations possible from person to person.