Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unemployed again!?!

Unemployed again!?!

Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

No.

I just try to make friends with my co-workers and get along with them.

I'm trying to move jobs but only in the upward direction.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea dude, i hear ya.

been criticised for the same thing.

for me, i don't want a bunch of double-talk PC bs when I'm being criticised, i want my bosses to tell me exactly what it is they want or don't like...even when i've been criticised for being too blunt, or too direct, they are beating around the bush about it 'it would be nice if...', 'others don't feel you are sensative to their feelings'... it's like: fine, i know i'm blunt but i get results with less time and cost involved.

i have always made expectations and consequences clear to my staff, and I've been managing people since 1986, but sometime around 2000 everybody got pc and ****. nowadays, it doesn't even seem like you can clearly identify to someone when they are ****ing up...even if it's been written in handbooks and s.o.p.'s
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

when there is no job there is more time to work on practice.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Being a Martial Artist trying to carve a career in Management, I have at times come into contact with senior staff who aren't used to my 'style' of management.

My character alone has been affected by the lifetime grind of work, as I find that my own efforts in training do sometimes overshadow my dedication to a fulltime job. And today yet another Manager sent me packing, as I fail my probation period because of my apparent 'threatening behaviour'. I was sitting down at the time, debating protocol and unsatisfactory attitudes to change from my staff (I was responsible for five).

Time and time again I see grown adults view my strict discipline and direct communication as unacceptable. So again I'm in the unemployment queue and wondering if it's all worth the money?

Anyone else here moving from job to job wondering why you aint training instead?
    Time to find a new line of work. If you run into the same problem on every job then what does that tell you? You're simply not cut out to manage others.

Sort of reminds me of this girl I knew. She wanted to be an astropysicist but could not pass algebra 101.

my job shirt says"flarhety masonry. go hard or go home. we had one laborer who was always on the cellphone... one day i just snapped and let out a roar... go hard or go the fuk home!! guess where he went...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    my job shirt says"flarhety masonry. go hard or go home. we had one laborer who was always on the cellphone... one day i just snapped and let out a roar... go hard or go the fuk home!! guess where he went...
    lol, too bad you didnt drop a hammer on his phone first.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

LOL! there's a diference between "strict discipline" and passive-agressive @sshatery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    LOL! there's a diference between "strict discipline" and passive-agressive @sshatery.
    be blunt. be honest. say what you mean.

I pretty much only work in order to do something during my downtime away from training.

I did the corporate thing, didn't dig it. Now I have an office at home, and a training kwoon at home. However, sacrificed a considerable income in order to live this way. I'm happy.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    i However, sacrificed a considerable income in order to live this way. I'm happy.
    that's the joy of life...

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    when there is no job there is more time to work on practice.
    this coming from the self confessed pot head

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt
    hes saying that the great thing about life is that the guy he quoted was able to make a financial decision to work at home and be happy.

Uki i believe works as a full time mason....i have a close friend that does that. its **** hard work.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post

high five

dont you have kids?

yeah no job, greeeatttttttt!!
    i am a mason, i work 30-40 hours per week weather permitting... and we smoke pot at work, drink beer at lunch... hows your job treating you? and yeah i have kids, 3 of them to be exact... we own a house on 3.25 acres, no mortgage. **** life is good.

Well if you keep getting fired for the same thing, then the problem is probably you. If they feel you are displaying 'threatening behavior' then you have some issues to deal with. You might want to change your approach or stay away from management.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.