Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas to improve stamina

Quote Originally Posted by bigsam View Post
    Hi guys can we have a discussion to a 'short cut' method to improve stamina. Exercises, routines, methods, ideas and etc

Thanks in advance
    Practice your forms very low, but maintain a correct posture.

If you`re talking about cardiovascular endurance, the fastest way to improve it is interval trailing AKA windsprints.

No matter what the activity the "sprint" is just a short increase in intensity followed by a cool down period followed by more "sprint intervals".
    You can vary the intensity of the sprint interval , the length of the cool down, the length of the sprint of the sprint interval, etc.

It could be running, circuit training on weights, jumping squats, what ever.

While there are no real "shortcuts" in stamina training, there is a simple way to expedite it a bit. If you have access to transportation up to a significantly higher elevation, it is worth it to do your stamina training there. Living in Colorado (just under 1 mile elevation), I get this effect all the time (which is great, since my stamina naturally sucks); anytime I go down closer to sea level, I find my overall stamina roughly doubles due to the change in oxygen levels. You gotta be careful not to overdo it going back and forth, since it's harder to train at altitude and you can get elevation sickness, but it can definitely help.

running, plyometrics, clutching, calesthenics.

work til failure.

working at altitude is nice, but is available only to those people who live in an area where you can access significant altitude. which for the east coast ain't no one and for the west coast is only a few can get to the kind of heights where there is significant change in oxygen levels.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to go about 5-8000 ft above sea level before you see any change in oxygen levels. Seeing as this is what the pressure is set to in most passenger planes, so you'd have to go above that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I also enjoy working on the heavy bag for cardio. I have found that those who do not do this usually do not do well in sparring due to lack of endurance. When I train with Muay Thai folks, they spend a lot of time doing bag work and those guys never seemed to get winded. Boxers also do this of course. I just got a bag in the garage and I believe it is a priority for training as well as building stamina. I usually practice individually techniques and basics as well as doing three minute rounds. If anyone has any special routines on the heavy bag they have found successful and beneficial, I would appreciate the advice.

There is a device , I cant recall the name but they sell them on e=bay. It is a mouth piece aparatus that decreases the amount of air inhaled it can be replicated by taping a straw into the old type double rubber mouth pieces and use a swimmers nose plug during training. One can Start with 5 minutes on and 5 off then progress slowly from there. KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

ron jeremy just says "dead dogs dead dogs" over and over again.

i tried it and it works. not outloud mind you. just in my head. ron jeremy says it outloud though.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    ron jeremy just says "dead dogs dead dogs" over and over again.

i tried it and it works. not outloud mind you. just in my head. ron jeremy says it outloud though.
    Actually, just saying/thinking Ron jeremy should be enough.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I tried using a snorkel to run with-for two reasons; one, to increase my wind, and two, to put the end down my jacket so I would not breathe in chilled air and constrict my heart when I run in the winter.
    Didn't work. I was drooling too much.
    (I never noticed the drool underwater....)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I just started jumping rope. How long does it take till I no longer look like a girl?
    Until then, anyone know any cool jumping songs?
    I'm tired of singing,"Miss Lucy had a steamboat."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I just started jumping rope. How long does it take till I no longer look like a girl?
    Until then, anyone know any cool jumping songs?
    I'm tired of singing,"Miss Lucy had a steamboat."
    stop singing the nursery rhymes and having the other two little girls holding the rope for you and you'll stop looking like a girl.
    Kung Fu is good for you.