Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Special Xingyi Issue

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael View Post
    Taikiken (Yiquan) vs. Kyokushin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw
    Sorry I was not impressed. Honestly if I were going to be impressed with anyone in the match it would have been the Kyokushin guy but even he wasn't amazing.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

As you may have guessed I am most certainly not a traditionalist. In fact I tend to distrust blind adherence to tradition in favor of application of reason to questions of practice.

On this we agree though:

Collecting forms is not a path to martial mastery.

As a note: This post was not a double-post, it was in response to a statement that has since been excised from the board after the poster decided to remove himself entirely from the KFM forum for reasons that escape me.
    Last edited by SimonM; 12-10-2008 at 09:26 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

I'm chime in on this, just for sport.

I'd argue that collecting forms is a potential path to martial mastery. Although apocryphal, Bodhidharma got there by sitting and staring at a rock for nine years. There are countless paths. More than sand on the seashore. More than numbers. But none are guaranteed.

John and I did discuss the poem after his initial submission and I felt it was valid enough for the sake of the story. Remember, we aren't a scholarly journal. We'd get bogged down pretty fast if we were and that would do little to promote Chinese martial arts for us on the newsstands. There are other publications that veer that direction.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Even Bruce Lee had a mastery of Wing Chun before he developed Jeet Kune Do.
    yeah idk if bruce lee was a master of wing chun before developing jkd, considering he didn't complete the system before coming to the usa.

Follow up on Deng Qi

Martial arts school death not suspicious
    chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2019-04-17 10:12

A photo of the 7-year-old girl surnamed Deng. [Photo/Red Star News]

An investigation team has ruled out beating or other suspicious circumstances as the cause of death for a seven-year-old girl who died at a martial arts school in Dengfeng, Central China's Henan province, two days after she enrolled, CCTV has reported.

The conclusion comes after forensic experts from Dengfeng and Zhengzhou conducted an examination of the girl's remains and public security carried out an investigation at the school.

The girl's parents had no objection to the findings, and the case will not be registered as a criminal case.

The girl's parents sent her to Xiaolong Martial Arts School on Sunday. At 9:40 am on Tuesday she fell to the ground during a class break and died before an ambulance could reach the scene.

According to previous media reports, the girl's father said there were kick marks on her stomach when he saw her remains at the mortuary.

"The surveillance camera was far from my daughter. It seems like someone pushed and kicked her," Deng said after watching a video clip obtained from the school.

Public information shows that Xiaolong Martial Arts School's legal representative is Chen Tongshan, father of actor Shi Xiaolong.

The school has more than 12,000 students and over 2,000 teachers.
    THREADS:
    Shi Xiaolong
    Martial Arts Deaths

Also noteworthy - Grandmaster Chen Tongshan was featured on our 2008 NOV+DEC cover story: Shaolin Masters Keeping the Faith so I copied this to our Nov+Dec 2008 thread too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart