Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 meanings of the tap

2 meanings of the tap

Ok, this forum is so dead even the dumn political threads are dying off.... let's argue about something already!

Here's a snipet from Saturday's grapplearts newsletter; discuss:

THE TWO MEANINGS OF THE TAP Tapping out is sending a message to your opponent. The most commonmessage is "OK, you got me with that submission. Now let me go"

Many grapplers don't realize that tapping out can also be used to senda different message, namely: "I don't know what's going on here - I might be in danger of getting injured, so let's stop for a second"
    I'll start off with a story from shortly after I started studying Pai Lum. I was in the beginners class and we were working side head locks. A young kid had me in a fantastic hold and as it was beginner's class I tapped rather than tried breaking loose. Aperently the kid had no idea what a tap was and didn't let go till I was about to pass out... Mainly because I about broke his foot with a stomp.

So, should a student be allowed to practice something like a side head lock live without first demonstrating that he/she can identify a tap or should they be allowed to "learn as they go"?
    Last edited by Becca; 10-07-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

The first thing we tell new guys is to tap if there is any doubt.

As to letting them work subs on you, either have an experienced person watching or make sure the new guy knows what a tap means. FYI, in our gym we teach to either tap, snap your fingers, or say 'tap', as there are times you cannot tap out with your hands (like a double armbar).
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I don't see two definitions, there. The result is the same, either way. You stop.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    As to letting them work subs on you, either have an experienced person watching or make sure the new guy knows what a tap means. FYI, in our gym we teach to either tap, snap your fingers, or say 'tap', as there are times you cannot tap out with your hands (like a double armbar).

We also use foot taps (Slapping your foot against the mat several times) because sometimes your arm is locked and your mouth covered at the same time.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

When all else fails never underestimate the effectivness of good ol wind breakage or crapping your pants.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I don't see two definitions, there. The result is the same, either way. You stop.
    Sure there is. One tap means "I'm stuck good, please don't destroy my lim/joint." the other is WTF?!?!? I don't know what you/I am doing; let me go please." The reult is the same, but you might not expect the second type because it may or may not come at a logical place or time. If you aren't aware of it, they could pull a Ronin and cr@p thier pants....
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Sure there is. One tap means "I'm stuck good, please don't destroy my lim/joint." the other is WTF?!?!? I don't know what you/I am doing; let me go please." The reult is the same, but you might not expect the second type because it may or may not come at a logical place or time. If you aren't aware of it, they could pull a Ronin and cr@p thier pants....
    Ninja warfare 101 !

I've never rolled with anyone who knew what they were doing who tapped just because they got stuck. A large part of training, afterall, is teaching yourself to get unstuck.

Now, after you get tapped, people frequently ask what they got caught with, etc... But it's pretty pointless, counter-productive even, to ask to stop in the middle because something was unfamiliar.

Most embarassing situation is when you DON'T tap and the other guy thinks you did.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Another definition of that tap is when a fine looking woman passes by and some says, ' I'd tap that".

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Another definition of that tap is when a fine looking woman passes by and some says, ' I'd tap that".
    I tried to run a school ad in the local college paper that had a hot chick in fight gear with the caption "Want to tap her?"

They wouldn't accept my ad.

I've never rolled with anyone who knew what they were doing who tapped just because they got stuck. A large part of training, afterall, is teaching yourself to get unstuck.

Now, after you get tapped, people frequently ask what they got caught with, etc... But it's pretty pointless, counter-productive even, to ask to stop in the middle because something was unfamiliar.
    When I train with people below my experience, and they are trying to work on one spacific skill such as escaping a standing side head lock, and they can't figure it out or are starting to panic, they should be able to tap. If the less experience person is trying to learn how to apply a standing side head lock fast enough thier "target" can't escape before it's sunk, the "target" should be able to tap as the new person may not have applied the side head lock safely or not realize that they did, indead, accomplish thier goal.

I tried to run a school ad in the local college paper that had a hot chick in fight gear with the caption "Want to tap her?"

They wouldn't accept my ad.
    Well, you could have captioned it: " wanna get caught in her triangle"?

When I train with people below my experience, and they are trying to work on one spacific skill such as escaping a standing side head lock, and they can't figure it out or are starting to panic, they should be able to tap. If the less experience person is trying to learn how to apply a standing side head lock fast enough thier "target" can't escape before it's sunk, the "target" should be able to tap as the new person may not have applied the side head lock safely or not realize that they did, indead, accomplish thier goal.
    You can tap anytime you want.

Doesn't mean you should tap everytime you get stuck.

At any rate, I still don't see the difference between the definitions. Sounds like an excuse just to write an article.

MK another possible caption: Experience Her Rear Naked Choke
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.