Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 meanings of the tap

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I'll start off with a story from shortly after I started studying Pai Lum. I was in the beginners class and we were working side head locks. A young kid had me in a fantastic hold and as it was beginner's class I tapped rather than tried breaking loose. Aperently the kid had no idea what a tap was and didn't let go till I was about to pass out... Mainly because I about broke his foot with a stomp.

So, should a student be allowed to practice something like a side head lock live without first demonstrating that he/she can identify a tap or should they be allowed to "learn as they go"?
    A student should not allowed to make ANY contact with another student until they know what a tap is, what forms are acceted (we use the tap, the foot stomp as MK said, or the verbal call of BLUE The reason we use Blue is because "tap" sounds too close to "c-rap" and that call is made often while rolling. We don't want anyone getting out before they are ready.

Then, if someone doesn't respect the tap, they should be issued a code red!
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Ok, this forum is so dead even the dumn political threads are dying off.... let's argue about something already!

Here's a snipet from Saturday's grapplearts newsletter; discuss:

I'll start off with a story from shortly after I started studying Pai Lum. I was in the beginners class and we were working side head locks. A young kid had me in a fantastic hold and as it was beginner's class I tapped rather than tried breaking loose. Aperently the kid had no idea what a tap was and didn't let go till I was about to pass out... Mainly because I about broke his foot with a stomp.

So, should a student be allowed to practice something like a side head lock live without first demonstrating that he/she can identify a tap or should they be allowed to "learn as they go"?
    brings to mind a similar topic... when to tap?
    I can remember I first started tapping too early or at the wrong time...
    I always try to extend my tolerance. On the other hand I have trained with and talked to people who say to tap if you know he has the sub and don't wait. If its a tight armbar or a strong kimura... don't wait just tap. On the flip side if you have him and he isn't taping rather than continue to force pain (or something worse), transition to another submission.
    I see the logic in both ideas..

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    brings to mind a similar topic... when to tap?
    I can remember I first started tapping too early or at the wrong time...
    I always try to extend my tolerance. On the other hand I have trained with and talked to people who say to tap if you know he has the sub and don't wait. If its a tight armbar or a strong kimura... don't wait just tap. On the flip side if you have him and he isn't taping rather than continue to force pain (or something worse), transition to another submission.
    I see the logic in both ideas..
    I wouldn't transition to another submission if my opponent wasn't tapping. I would adjust my current submission on the theory I might be off, or I would apply more pressure. If you arm breaks because you don't tap, that is not my fault.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    I wouldn't transition to another submission if my opponent wasn't tapping. I would adjust my current submission on the theory I might be off, or I would apply more pressure. If you arm breaks because you don't tap, that is not my fault.
    Some guys hold out just because they know people will transition to something else if they don't get the tap right away. If you have the lock, hold onto it. Just don't be a d1ck about it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.