Thread: 2 meanings of the tap

Threaded View

2 meanings of the tap

Ok, this forum is so dead even the dumn political threads are dying off.... let's argue about something already!

Here's a snipet from Saturday's grapplearts newsletter; discuss:

THE TWO MEANINGS OF THE TAP Tapping out is sending a message to your opponent. The most commonmessage is "OK, you got me with that submission. Now let me go"

Many grapplers don't realize that tapping out can also be used to senda different message, namely: "I don't know what's going on here - I might be in danger of getting injured, so let's stop for a second"
    I'll start off with a story from shortly after I started studying Pai Lum. I was in the beginners class and we were working side head locks. A young kid had me in a fantastic hold and as it was beginner's class I tapped rather than tried breaking loose. Aperently the kid had no idea what a tap was and didn't let go till I was about to pass out... Mainly because I about broke his foot with a stomp.

So, should a student be allowed to practice something like a side head lock live without first demonstrating that he/she can identify a tap or should they be allowed to "learn as they go"?
    Last edited by Becca; 10-07-2008 at 07:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it