Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions You are Cured Of

It is a very effective martial tool, blinding your opponents
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    It is a very effective martial tool, blinding your opponents
    My ivory reflection is only suprassed by my rugged good looks, in that regard.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Ok, I just googled it; mataphysics does seem to be considered by most to be a branch of philosophy

You had to 'google' that?

Too many people think of New Age (or New Thought) when they hear metaphysics. It's a branch of academic philosophy but now it's what bookstores call New Thought books.

IIRC Metaphysics was actually just the stuff that came in the chapter after physics in Aristotle's works.

That being said it is the branch of philosophy that ponders questions related to the fundamental basis of reality.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

cjurakpt Guest
    metaphysics is a fancy name for all the stuff that, unlike actual physics, cannot be subjected to relatively objective verification (theism), and can therefore be bandied about without ever having any fear of actually being disproved (kinda like TCMA's being "t3h d3dly")

as far as "qi" belonging to this, I would say that "qi" is not metaphysics, it's metaphor; in other words, having observed the patterns function of the human organism within its environment, both in health and in disease, and having understood the mutual nature of mutual interdependency both within the body (e.g. - various organ systems), within "nature" and between man and "nature", and realizing that the degree of predictability of diagnosis and prognosis, one might then come up with a descriptor of these interrelationships, to better describe the multi-factorial "cause / effect" paradigm upon which TCM theory / practice is built; "qi" works as a concept, not because it is a distinct "thing", but exactly the opposite - because it is not! it is a set of functional life-related principles that constitutes a framework (matrix, lattice) upon which the various observed phenomena may be organized and associated in order to understand what is going on, what will happen if things progress unabated, and how things might be changed to avoid failure of the system if that is the likely end result; OTOH, if "qi" were simply some sort of actual "force", like electromagnetism, or heat, that would limit its utility - whereas, in fact, electromagnetism, heat, etc. are all observable phenomena that are involved in the functional processes that make up "qi"; so when you say you are doing something "internally" and feel the "qi" moving, what you are experiencing is the "sensation" of for example, the autonomic nervous system "working" on heart rate, respiration, temperature regulation, muscle tone (skeletal and visceral), neuro-endocrine function, etc.; which you can also identify as such, but since "back then" they didn't have the technology to assess things the way we do now, those sorts of "strange' sensations, would be categorized according to what was available at the time, and Taoist "science" being the modality available, that's what was used (similarly, even today, most TCMA folks lack actual anatomical / physiological knowledge, and so have no other methodology with which to describe what they are experiencing, and so they use "qi" as a convenient label for that experience - of course, they are the same one to tell you with absolute certainty that what the feel is definitely beyond the realm of described physiological function, when in fact they have no idea that subjecting the ANS to "traditional" types of breath control practice can lead to exactly what they are feeling)

Forum or real skills?

I have to admit, in the last 5 years or so playing in Gene's House, I really have learned a bit about Martial Arts. More than just historical tid bits and gossip about the industry. I never thought I would admit it, but it has improved some of my skills by removing some misconceptions.

Now, keeping in mind I try to be a renaissance man of sorts, and thus, my perspective covers more than just martial issues...

Concerning the forum:
    What people write means nothing, as they change opinions depending on the nature of the argument, time of day, phase of moon, team strategy. Its all about the Avatar and Message line beneath. That's how you look into their soul. Truth.

Post count is directly related to waistline measurement. (at least in my case)

Westerners have a way romanticised view of Eastern martial arts, and Easterners work it.

Easterners have a way romanticised view of Western martial arts, and Westerners work it.

Martial arts reflects your character, your character doesn't reflect your martial art.

Nobody understands chi but me, and I ain't tellin! But I will make my fingers smoke for you for a dollar...

Never assume that a total wank of a principle or concept might prove to be unbelievable by a martial arts fan boy with visions of Bruce Lee caterwalling in his head.

A martial artist with a sense of humour is more dangerous than one without.

About Martial arts:
    You can't afford not to understand grappling these days, if you want to be a highly skilled fighter.

Random violence is seldom perpetrated by skilled fighters and often starts unprovoked from a blind side.

Spirit can be trained, its not just natural.

People who have REALLY hurt people in informal or street situations don't like to talk about it.

Size, strength and spirit make a big difference over skill alone.

Strategy trumps the lot.

Full contact fighting is a simple sport, with simple rules, fought by simple men.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    You had to 'google' that?
    Yes; some of us don't pretend to know everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

In my case post count is diametrically opposed to work load at work. I'm tied to a desk. When I have little to do at work I post more. When I'm busy I post less. Notice 95% of my posts are between 9 and 5 Eastern Standard Time, Monday to Friday.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Ne too, I am never on the net at home or after work, that's training and family time.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by becca View Post
    yes; some of us don't pretend to know everything.
    zing !
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

When I'm on the net / computer at home it's either when I'm working on my book, my job hunt or my co-op news letter. Regardless I'm not goofing off on KFM.com
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Yes; some of us don't pretend to know everything.
    You're doing a great job.

Here is a new one for me:

Pulling an opponent down to your chest when they are high in your guard is a good idea.

Learned recently that this was not true. Shedding that misconception has already, in a single day, improved my ground game.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Here is a new one for me:

Pulling an opponent down to your chest when they are high in your guard is a good idea.

Learned recently that this was not true. Shedding that misconception has already, in a single day, improved my ground game.
    Well, that is a good idea if you are striking. Not always so good if you are wrestling.