Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Training

Cross Training

I was wondering if any other of my fellow CMA practitioners study other disciplines or have other training routines. For example, I run on a regular basis and compete in 5Ks four or so times a year. I do this to increase my stamina of course. I also like to practice yoga because I feel I get a good workout while relaxing my body and mind. I started a thread before that led to a lot of discussion about MMA. Do any of you cross train in this, and if so, what has been your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by peace&love View Post
    I was wondering if any other of my fellow CMA practitioners study other disciplines or have other training routines. For example, I run on a regular basis and compete in 5Ks four or so times a year. I do this to increase my stamina of course. I also like to practice yoga because I feel I get a good workout while relaxing my body and mind. I started a thread before that led to a lot of discussion about MMA. Do any of you cross train in this, and if so, what has been your experience?
    My experience is don't tell your teacher, they always get jealous.

Cross training is super important, it beats spending years with one teacher, then the next, then the next, and trying to get some kind of real satisfaction that way.

I'm a runner too.

I also practice Judo, with a few friends, practice some japanese sword work and box.

I think without boxing and Judo I wouldn't be a very good fighter.

I mostly just do gong fu for health and mental accuteness. I think one day when I open my own school, I will have insurance, and will fight and make my students all fight, at all levels, once a week if they want to come to the school.

Thats way down the road though, and I would like to give some san da and shuai jiao schools a chance before I add boxing and judo to my CMA. Maybe I'm a romantic, I would just think it would be cool to produce real fighters strictly with CMA concepts.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Cross Training

I think people get into cross training because there is so much garbage out there today. My advice is do your homework and really look hard to find a good teacher. One who can teach you all aspects of fighting. If you're hungry, you don't go to the first place that has food without taking a look at what you're about to eat.

Boxing + Jujitsu + karate = a confused fighter. They all have different principles

I would much rather square off with that person than anyone who trained equally as hard for the same length of time in one art. I mean at the end of the day there are only so many ways to attack the body.

im for training 1000% crosstraining. why? because in shaolin style itself they have about 100 different styles! er lang , luohan ,zhaoyang, jingang, hong quan, seven stars, plum flower, taizu, cannon fist, lotus flower, tanglang etc. etc. i just think u need to see if their different styles are compatible.

also, sometimes some kung fu styles teach this technique or that techqniue, but never pratice it, so you have to practice it somewhere else.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Definitely

An ideal week for me would be:

3 or 4 KF classes
    2 3-mile runs
    2 weight training sessions
    1 game of ultimate (intervals but more fun)
    1 game of flag football.

Realistically, I usually miss at least one of the runs. I usually get everything else. Generally, barring injury, I feel pretty good when I'm getting all of these in.

Does yard work count as cross-training?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yard work is not cross-training...

... it's applications.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yard work

I guess working with a weed eater could be considered weapons training. Good info so far on other techniques. I worked out with a local Muay Thai instructor recently and really picked up some great tips on conditioning that I will incorporate in my regular work out routine. Also, I recently got into hot yoga where you do yoga in 120 degree heat. This is a wonderful work out and I believe great for everyone, especially martial artists. Many people I know are getting more and more into MMA type stuff like Jiu Jitsu, Judo, etc. I guess Muay Thai is a part of that as well. As mentioned a lot on the forum, MMA is the most popular flavor of the month right now. I must admit my ground skills are lacking and I probably need to address that at some point. Most of my training is from traditionalists, but I was recently speaking with my former sifu and he has really gotten into the MMA. I would not have seen this coming a year ago. Also, my current sifu is looking into as well. As far as my perfect workout week goes is as follows:

kung fu forms/weapons/conditioning 2-3 times
    run minimum 3 miles 2-3 times
    yoga/ab work 1-2 times
    weedeater and shovel forms 4-5 times

This is basically what I do now. It varies from week to week depending on my work schedule.

weedeaters are for posers

weed by hand. it's good for the grip. if you want weapons training, invest in a machete.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    weed by hand. it's good for the grip. if you want weapons training, invest in a machete.
    I have some great video of my wife using a functional pu dao to chop down some tall pampas grass in my back yard. I was using a jian for the same purpose. Another reason to invest in functional weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

good idear. ill buy a iron melon hammer and pound those garlic in the kitchen. lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

its of my opinion that your goals will outline what you need to do in your training.

barring that, its whole dependant on what you want to get out of what you are putting in.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Many of the skills of kung fu are easily transferable to other disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
    Many of the skills of kung fu are easily transferable to other disciplines.
    agreed.

a good comparison would be painting.

if you are very good at painting with oils, and you choose to try out water colors. the art is quite similar. most all of the skills you aquired in practicing with your oils will still be transferable to your water colors.

the materials may be different, but understanding certain concepts will make a major play.

understanding light source, depth, basic drawing, etc...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have added Arnis as an extra to my Kung Fu.

I have found that my kung fu training has given me such a great base to work from and both arts are really complimenting each other.

I will always keep kung fu as my base art but am happy to try other things to give myself a better view of things.

I think in this day and age you dont want to end up insulated from wants going on.