Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The state of Chinese martial arts

You learn "ways" to move your body as you develop, usually from the culture you're a part of. Through relaxing the body completely, and moving through your full range of motion consitently with a certain way of moving, you relearn movement.

That's part of what Wong Kiew Kit meant when he said that forms are the crystalization of thousands of years of practice.

Of course, if your exposure to gong fu is to psuedo martial arts, that wouldn't make sense.

However, the general aim of gong fu is self preservation and expression. Fighting is only part of what "self preservation" entails. Not falling on your head, if you fell out a window, transferring your weight in a more controlled fashion in your daily tasks might be another example.
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

Quote Originally Posted by iron_leg_dave View Post
    Move your body through space.
    Like a transporter on Star Trek?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You learn "ways" to move your body as you develop, usually from the culture you're a part of. Through relaxing the body completely, and moving through your full range of motion consitently with a certain way of moving, you relearn movement.

That's part of what Wong Kiew Kit meant when he said that forms are the crystalization of thousands of years of practice.

Of course, if your exposure to gong fu is to psuedo martial arts, that wouldn't make sense.

However, the general aim of gong fu is self preservation and expression. Fighting is only part of what "self preservation" entails. Not falling on your head, if you fell out a window, transferring your weight in a more controlled fashion in your daily tasks might be another example.
    Ah, so it has very little to do with fighting, gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ah, so it has very little to do with fighting, gotcha.
    Reply]
    Correct. By the time you even get to forms, you should already be a very good fighter. They are more to put the final polish on the quality of your movement.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Reply]
    Correct. By the time you even get to forms, you should already be a very good fighter. They are more to put the final polish on the quality of your movement.

I need to work on my internet sarcasam.

As time goes on I see a world of difference between boxing, MMA, kick boxing gyms and schools that revolve around form.

One produces men. The other produces wannabees.

Better to learn your own core basic skills (good striking mechanics, good kicking mechanics, good structure and transitions, some ground) and then shadow box creating your own forms.

hi, most of the good kung fu masters died by the thousands in the 1900 boxer rebellion. kung fu fighters gathered from all over china to join demon slaying movement. sifus brought their entire schools with them. there were people from north to south all gathered together.
    then more died in chinese civil war. then more died in cultural revolution. a lot of styles left are performance styles. people keep forgetting this lol.
    i dont understand how some amazing kung fu masters whos skill is one out of ten thousand in the wulin have no students and dont want students, and some old opium addict had one of the most popular styles in the whole friggin world and would take anyone.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-07-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

students have to be worthy of teachers, and teachers have to be worthy of students.

****zer boy

A stitch in time saves nine.

Idiots think spouting banalities is deep.

"Idiots think spouting banalities is deep."

Yup. Look at what you just did.

Have you been ****zered yet?

Why teacher does not need application other than form training? Well, there are several reasons that I have in mind.

1) The teacher has lost interest in teaching martial art a lot.

2) The students are not talented in training.

3) The students does not want to train application like sparring.

4) Not enough incentive like expensive tuition fee.

Before we critisize and blame the teacher, it is good to look from the other side of the coin. What would you do in this and that situation if you were the teacher?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    My question is why are there so many Chinese martial arts teachers unwilling to teach the application of the forms to their students?
    I'm not so familiar with the more traditional family styles like Hung Kuen and the like, but as far as my Wing Chun forms go and their relationship to actual 'application' I like to think of them as simple sets to remind me where I come from. They return me to the beginning, which is more necessary if you cross-train or develop further methods. I've seen far too many practitioners 'lose themselves' in trying to 'apply' their forms, when some forms are just there for memories sake. All Wing Chun forms are applied every time we move, if that makes any sense? We're a 'free' style, if you like.

The reasons behind applications not being taught? That's one for the culprits to answer!! Much can be said for the Sifu who is 'choosy', especially if they're from the oldskool themselves. It's not so much 'right or wrong', it's just the way some people believe it is to be done. Without the correct drill and training, application is just a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i dont understand how some amazing kung fu masters whos skill is one out of ten thousand in the wulin have no students and dont want students, and some old opium addict had one of the most popular styles in the whole friggin world and would take anyone.
    Although he would 'take anyone' I wouldn't say he actually 'taught everyone'. The addict you describe was a direct product of his generation. A pawn in a very large chess game.

The old masters you mention are still waiting, I presume. For what exactly is anyones guess!

Food for thought...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 10-08-2008 at 02:43 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

RD'S Alias - 1A
    There are still many Chinese martial arts teachers teaching BS Chinese martial arts in London. I was talking to a person last night, who had spent 4 years learning from a tai chi/ chi kung teacher. He told me that he learnt nothing except forms. Based on what he said and showed me, I was very surprised that he and his teacher had not suffered from internal damages due to incorrect chi kung training!

SteveLau

"Before we critisize and blame the teacher, it is good to look from the other side of the coin. What would you do in this and that situation if you were the teacher?"

The question you asked is no different to the problems facing every academic teachers in UK, who have to teach students who just do not want to learnt. Some of those teachers had been:

1) beaten up by 11 - 20 years old
    2) raped by 12 years old
    3) their cars vandalism by their students
    4) threatened by their students and their parents.
    5) having their faces and embarrassing moments posted all over the internet & receiving all kind of insults

However, they still have to teach those students, because they cannot find themselves another jobs. I suggest that you ask the professional teachers for advices how to deal with students who just do not want to learnt.

If a martial arts teacher only wants to teach forms, then he/ she should be up front about it.

I had learnt a tai chi form from a tai chi teacher for 3 years. She told me that she only teach forms (on the first day we met), but her former tai chi master know how to use tai chi in combat. However, if I was to attend her master's kung fu classes, he would not only lied to me, but also teaching me total wrong! She had seem he did it to several students he did not like. He was also milking his new students by teaching them BS tai chi and chi kung. He would regarded me as a threat rather than as a student. Despite the fact that she had spent 15 years learning from him, he had taught her very little application in fighting!
    I decided to learn from her not because her tai chi skills was great, but because of her honesty.

Lets imagine that you went to a very famous school (martial arts school) to learn German (martial arts). Teachers from other famous schools (martial arts schools) in the area praised your famous headmaster for his teaching skills (fighting skills and teaching skills). Everyone in that school told you that your German was great after 2 & 1/2 years of intensive studying. However, when you went to Germany and try to communicate (fight) with the German people (other people). You suddenly found that no one understand a word what you said or your writing (cannot apply your martial arts in any of the fight). You were then forced to use self created sign languages (self creating kick boxing or fighting like a 5 years old) in order to communicate with the German people. While other people insulted your lack of German (martial arts skills) in front of your face.

Would you still call your German German (martial arts)?
    Would you still respect your teachers, classmates and other schools who told you that your German was great (everyone in your martial arts school and other martial arts instructors)?
    Would you still go back to that school and learn German from them (martial arts)?

Those are not insults. Those are my experience since I started learning Chinese kung fu!
    This is what many Chinese martial arts teachers are doing to their students by teaching them only forms. They then tell them that they can fight!

There are still good Chinese martial arts instructors around, but their number are very small.

I have read two books written by authors who claimed that oriental martial arts were useless based on their experiences of not being able to apply what they learnt in fights. However, their arguments were not convincing.
    There is a thread in the "defender forum" several years ago where the author told people to boycott the Chinese martial arts, because it was a waste of time and worthless martial arts. However, he did not giving any example to support his case.

So far no form teacher has replied to my question.

There's still too much face game and cerebral jerking off in a lot of chinese martial arts.

It's unfortunate, but there you have it.

I would say that some people are doing something about it.

some.
    Kung Fu is good for you.