Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Forms

The Forms

Anyone know of any videos or articles that break each movement in the forms down and give explinations of the applications and energy involved? Preferebly Yip Man style but any style will be of use.

Additionally, does anyone know what the throwing wings in chum kiu are used for? and why is the same movement repeated 3 times? (im a newbie at wing chun)
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

My DVDs do
    DMP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    Anyone know of any videos or articles that break each movement in the forms down and give explinations of the applications and energy involved? Preferebly Yip Man style but any style will be of use.

Additionally, does anyone know what the throwing wings in chum kiu are used for? and why is the same movement repeated 3 times? (im a newbie at wing chun)
    William Cheung has videos available that show the combat applications of the forms. I am also in the process of making some DVDs.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    My DVDs do
    DMP
    You won't find any better than David's DVD's. I've seen the rest and haven't found any with the same amount of QUALITY information. The SNT DVD is over 3hrs of information alone, most sets are not that long, this one is for the first form alone. CK is even better David is a educator, he know's the material and know's how to present it, this makes a big difference in understanding IMO.

David's DVD's are not about just the why's, but the how's, when's, where's and what's, a prime choice for anyone willing to invest in some personal investigation into WC concept, theory and application.

James

I agree that David's DVDs (at least until I see Phil Redmond's upcoming stuff - good for you man!) on the first two forms are top notch.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Have to agree ,,, Davids Vids are tight ... so much detail ,, being a guy that has researched pretty much all the stuff out there over the years ,, i have not seen anything close to content and presentation style
    most are marketing ploys to try and draw people into this or that lineage were they try and poke holes at other peoples ideas
    David just lays it out there with logic and body mechanics nothing flashy no body beating up half dead students you know the usual MO
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

I, like some of the other folk on this forum have a fairly extensive collection of Wing Chun based material. Peterson's DVD's are very very good IMO.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

As much as I like to learn and research, I have yet to go on that spending spree and buy all the Wing Chun DVDs out there (yet!) I have only one, from Uncle Joe Lee, and it's more of a chisau reference for Lee Shing family than a form study.

One reason I actually avoid DVDs is that I watched many clips during my time with Sifu, some as reference and some just because they're family. On almost every occassion it was obvious that the 'patterns' were consistent, but the terms and explanations varied dramatically. There seems to be no unison when it comes to explaining simple images and their 'use'.

FWIW All form training I learnt was always taught as a 'self therapy' first. We 'flowed' more than the average, which in turn needed to be kept in check otherwise our image just didn't look familiar to everyone else. The explanations I heard have not been heard since.

Katsu - Regarding the 'throwing arms' in Chum Kil. Surely you have been given an interpretation when you learnt the form? Share and share alike...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The three sets of Bong Sau are explained very clearly as well in David Peterson's Chum Kiu DVD.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

free info , no dvd's to sell sorry....

there is a common idea born from "attack as your defense"

What does the attack look like ? can I see it ? it can take on many 'looks' . From a simple punch to a complicated engagement requiring mixed ma's abilities. We are a combat mind, not sporting iow, we are trying to end the fight asap , not allow it to go 10 rounds with a break in between , so we need to have a way to deliver the idea ...ok attack as defense , now what , how do i achieve this great idea ?

the forms are simply the 'attack' broken down, iow the forms are just 'parts' of the tools you need to deliver your attack as you require, no elaborate sequential movements. The forms are just 'bytes' of actions in a high speed engagement .

The repetition [ 3 times] signifies importance , or focus more on that particular action/s.

The bong is an energy not a pose, to recover an 'attack' , so we repeat the partnership
    of bong & vu & leg . The 'throwing' is a ballistic [ging/shock] energy to displace the other guys arm laterally to the ensuing strike /attack from the rear vu. incorporating leg force unity in the timing ...leg energy timed with bong position = explosive force. repeat 2-3 forever

Bong & vu& leg, are an attack recovery action, relatively complex, beyond a simple strike that also does attack /defense actions , simultaneously. So we repeat it ..you can do it 8,000,000 times ...3 is just a 'form'....a way to do a simple set to maintain yourself alone.

Bong isnt done alone except when doing 'facing' aka low [ only for training] because we apply this attacking entry bong when we are coming directly at you from an angle / flank, when either rear/lead leg can be used .
    We do the bongs in SLT from left to right & right to left alone . In the Chum Kil, we incorporate the rear X angling strike line of vu , with the displacing energy of bong , coupled with the short shuffle that uses the leg extension in timing to match the bongs final ballistic point of 'contact' or not and back to recovery.
    This allows the strike 'attack' to be delivered uninterrupted by someone simply X'ing over your initial striking attack arm. The combined energy of the action is 'contained' into a move that doesnt chase but recovers back to keep striking , meaning even if you 'miss' the contact point you dont go past your own centerline opening yourself up...knives.

Bong is done because a spatial line of attack is coming at you , meaning you dont require contact to 'feel' anything to use it , many erroneously use the bong to divert force , turn energy and enter into another realm of fighting...feelers.

You can fight a 'feeler' quite easily , because they seek arms to feel to function ...

If an arm 'finds me' then I use feeling 'briefly' , otherwise I'm striking you, its up to you to stop me , how good you can do that is your attack ability.... Do you have counter attacking actions that work to attack my attack, to overwhelm my intentions to attack you ? can your simple tan punch and jum punch delivered in rotation , work to regain your attack ? or do you require two hands for everything..ie lop n chop, lop n punch , lop n bil....pak n trap n punch, bong lop chop, bong lop punch and the list goes on kwan lop n chop

Even if I show you a movement in a dvd , without certain 'thinking' to guide you it will seem very similar .

In a real fight you will act without thinking about VT ...so the VT has to be done in a drill that can take the actions and responses to a level of 'no thought '....you cant achieve this in forms alone doing 3 times , so we do chi-sao to ingrain the ideas .

The Wooden dummy gives us the 'ging/shock' force points and alignment /facing with rotation of actions not 'poses' isolated into 'moves' ...

If you can just step away from the attacker and make them lose contact ...stop moving and make them lose space and get to close ....how to regain your space to attack, maintain the attack if grabbed, if an arm x'e yours, if you need to kick ...

everything in the system is training you to be able to achieve this goal....

tan is the 1st 1/2 of a punch as is jum.....each can use the other to maintain an assault on either flank, without leaving your centerline to 'block' [ hate saying that] or chase to feel ...

'throwing bongs' work to keep this flanking attack going , because either bong 'knocks' energy left or right , further opening up you ability to strike into the gap created or simply deliver attacking actions....

So either arm has a tan strike ability, using the outside of the arm [ elbow leaves the line or sreads off the line]
    Either arm has jum strike ability , using the inside of the arm [ elbow inwards strike]

added ...the 'fixed elbow principle' refers to the fact that the arm uses either side of the forearm with elbow control fixing the line , as SLT , so the arms dont leave the line when doing tan or jum, only the inner mind control focus is changed to keep the elbow in and strike, or allow the elbow out...starting and finishing from the centerline. Each rotating back to a rear chambered strike, capable of being either energy in a millisecond of a changing fight ....no thinking .

each can deliver a strike to back up the previous 'energy' delivered outside /inside strikes from either side seamlessly....not seeking to block but deliver deflecting 'glancing' energy as they go forwards....bong serves to open the door left or right depending what side your on....

brilliant idea.

some will say there is a high -low - turning etc..bong ...bong is just a means to an end so dont get caught in the " this bong is for this , and this bong is for if this happens...

whatever you do, point your centerline at them and ATTACK,FIRE, SHOVE , PUSH , KICK, HEADBUTT, RAM INTO WALL.. !!! he hehheheh ...never let them point their line at you, the rest comes from this simple thinking ...2 lines dont face each other unless they are training partners doing drills to attack or counter from that 'face -off position'
    ..you wouldn't want to have a fair fight would you ?

fight 50% of the opponent with 100% of yourself. Which 50% is up to them to show you... what side doesnt matter because your training to be able to deliver 100 % from either side they turn or you make them turn ; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.

nicely said. I've recently come to pretty much the same conclusions that you shared here....I recently told one of my students that the principle of simultaneous attack and defense doesn't only mean that one hand is attack and one hand is defending. Rather, within the defensive hand is contained an offense movement as well. That has been my recent interpretation of "lin siu dai da"....

Moses

tan & jum are simply training positions for strikes utilizing inside or outside of the forearms while striking.....each side /flank can be attacked with either combo...the techniques are all helping each other to maintain an attacking action with simple strikes or in a rotation of clearing actions & strikes to resume striking with 100% against 50%

2 knives v 1 knife...2 arms v 1 arm...what side ? Yip Man used to say that the opponent would show you what to do or what tactical approach to adopt.

In chisao we use a tan energy to develop the jum energy...one partner does his strike using the tan outside edge of the arm, keeping elbows in , while the partner adopts a jum strike using inward elbow positions to strike the strike....either can strike while the other strike/defends with a counter/strike/attack ...both are attacking each other simultaneously ....bad elbows or loose positions will be shown as entry ......bong sao's deflect the jum punch [ over your tan strike] and deflects off line ....while the juming force becomes a recovering fook or neutral energy arm , neither tan or jum force , just coming back to neutral center....and repeat 10,000,000 times 2-3.
    The bong returns to a striking elbow in position. repeat forever.

....add impact training /focus in short range ...seung ma toi ma aka attack and counter attack ..one attacks, the other counter attacks...nothing to do with 'if your pushed'...its a striking reaction and correct angles , your not going to wait to be pushed to do toi ma....you use it as an attacking angle relative to a side presented....all for free-fighting not a chi-sao face off with a guy who spills your beer and grabs your girlfriend at the local bar...what are you going to do "roll" with them ?

; )
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-10-2008 at 03:11 PM.

K Gledhill great explination! i like it alot, its on the lines of what i was told as well. Sifu said its to train explosive sinking and rising aspects as well as breakin your opponents structure on the low line just our opinon.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

like water crashing onto rocks...if you dont get out of the way of the water you will also get wet sooner or later....be like water.

like the sound of snow falling deep in the woods at an old temple , the mind is still.

..the 'fixed elbow principle' refers to the fact that the arm uses either side of the forearm with elbow control fixing the alignment , as SLT , so the arms dont leave the line when doing tan or jum, only the inner mind control focus is changed to keep the elbow in and strike, or allow the elbow out...starting and finishing from the centerline. Each rotating back to a rear chambered strike, capable of being either energy in a millisecond of a changing fight ....no thinking .
    Last edited by k gledhill; 10-12-2008 at 07:18 PM.

I don't own any DVD's. I have never considered purchasing any either. I realize that there are a lot of different styles and forms are different from one practitioner to the next, and I am not interested in doing anything different from what I do now. I feel that what I do is superior to anything I can see on a DVD. That sounds arrogant I realize, but it is my way of avoiding confusion. I have added and removed certain moves from my forms over the years simply because I can. They are only fluid movements from one technique to the next and not really a fight sequence as you would see in other Gung Fu forms, so it doesn't really matter how or what you do as long as you are doing it. Well, as long as it is Wing Chun technique.
    The best way to interpret a move is to do it and see what it feels like that you are doing. If it feels like a particular technique then it is, and you just do it with commitment and as fluid as you can. And as you perfect your form, you can add stuff that you like and remove stuff you will seldom use. I would not recommend removing anything unless it is way off in left field as you can never know what will serve you in time of need. If you have difficulty with a particular technique you can do it repeatedly or several times at least. Eventually you will get good at it.

Chiang