Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Forms

I can certainly understand that....I don't have many DVD's just Master Kwok's latest on the forms, but I have a lot of digital stuff and I personally like to see other stuff just to get ideas or maybe see somebody else's take on an idea that I already hold to and see if their explanation might help me understand the concept better

Moses

Am not sure what the beef is with viewing Wing Chun DVD's.

I, for one, are not so presumptuous to assume that I can't learn anything from other Wing Chun people outside of my own line.

When it comes to learning, I will use any reference source available whilst appreciating that hands on training with resistance provided by decent opponents is the best form.

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

I, for one, are not so presumptuous to assume that I can't learn anything from other Wing Chun people outside of my own line.

When it comes to learning, I will use any reference source available whilst appreciating that hands on training with resistance provided by decent opponents is the best form.

Suki

I personally don't have a beef with watching DVD's about other peoples Wing Chun. The only problem I seem to have is a lack of interest in them. I have only seen a hand full of people trained in other lines of Wing Chun, and in each one I could quickly and easily see differences in how they did things. They adhered to the basics, which made it good Wing Chun, but it was indeed different from mine in minor ways. I can not see a good reason for me to consider doing things differently after doing it my way for so long. I can not learn anything from that. All I can manage to do is confuse my own style.
    Most of the Wing Chun claims I have seen on this forum about differences were not really differences, just different in explanation. That way they can claim completely different styles within the same system. Helps to authenticate themselves. Wing Chun is Wing Chun. Only the aesthetics may change to small degrees. Or one may place emphisis on this and that over this and that. Sort of silly I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Most of the Wing Chun claims I have seen on this forum about differences were not really differences, just different in explanation. That way they can claim completely different styles within the same system. Helps to authenticate themselves. Wing Chun is Wing Chun. Only the aesthetics may change to small degrees. Or one may place emphisis on this and that over this and that. Sort of silly I think.
    There are huge differences in mechanics and footwork at times (to name a couple of differences).

Example: Wrist sticking vs. elbow sticking/emphasis has a major difference in application.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I second that, if your developing feeling force forwards with wrists as most commonly do ,
    you wont be developing into the other elbow alignment etc...
    it will produce two completely different fighters using the same shapes for different ideas.
    I know that personally

6. Gents

Just to jump back to what DVD's are out there.

I can only give testimony to my good friend David Peterson.

If you are thirsty for the Wong Shun Leung family of Ving Tsun. Then look no further.

I had the sincere privilege of training with Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong. And to be totally honest the words that David conveys this great system are the same words that Wong Sifu used to speak.

While others have their own way to deliver the message. David is able to do it with out distortion and accuracy

Cheers
    John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Gents

Just to jump back to what DVD's are out there.

I can only give testimony to my good friend David Peterson.

If you are thirsty for the Wong Shun Leung family of Ving Tsun. Then look no further.

I had the sincere privilege of training with Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong. And to be totally honest the words that David conveys this great system are the same words that Wong Sifu used to speak.

While others have their own way to deliver the message. David is able to do it with out distortion and accuracy

Cheers
    John Smith
    Big Uncle John ,,,,, get down with your bad self
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    My $0.02 --

There is nothing wrong with viewing WCK DVDs. But you need to appreciate that watching DVDs will never teach you WCK. It can't. It can show you or teach you the curriculum of WCK: the forms, the drills. IOWs, the movements of WCK. But DVDs or even an instructor can't teach you how to use/apply/fight with that curriculum -- you can only work that out for yourself through doing it. Just as you can only learn to box by boxing, learn to swim by swimming, learn to ride a bike by riding a bike, etc.

While it is common for people to show so-called "applications" on DVDs, much of it is fantasy (and wouldnever work) and come from nonfighters. Application is just that -- doing it in fighting (that is applying your WCK). Showing what you think you could do or should do in fighting isn't application, it is theory, it is conjecture. Showing it in fighting is application. Application is fighting. With that in mind, how many show application?

And, fwiw, I think trying to teach "applications" from forms is going about it backwards, and is a really poor way to learn any physical skill. First application (learn the skill itself against an opponent), then dummy (practice the skill), then form (to memorialize it).

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    And, fwiw, I think trying to teach "applications" from forms is going about it backwards, and is a really poor way to learn any physical skill. First application (learn the skill itself against an opponent), then dummy (practice the skill), then form (to memorialize it).
    As some of us agree, the 'forms' weren't taught - or rather - weren't even present. Things were drilled first with exercises and applications. The forms were the afterthought, if you will.

I personally call the forms homework. No point working on them for the whole time that you've got a partner there. Time to work on application when you've got the bodies present.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels