Thread: Testicular stem cells = Jing/essence?

Testicular stem cells = Jing/essence?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-10-09-voa7.cfm

This month's issue of the science journal Nature featured research from German scientists who have found a source for the controversial stem cells other than from fetuses or by altering human cells with viruses. Stem cells are called 'pleuripotent', meaning these cells will 'magically' convert to the type of cell surrounding them. Therefore, implanting stem cells in the blood will convert them to blood cells, etc.

The researchers found the testicles to be a source of stem cells normally used in the creation of sperm. Oddly enough, the cells were only able to convert to bone, nerve and muscle tissue, but not cardiac or other organs.

This is where it gets interesting, to me.

The ancient masters of Chinese medicine and Taoism knew the testicles to be the seat of Jing - the essence (semen is the material manifestation of Jing). Without strong Jing, an individual will be weaker (muscle), have brittle bones, or have neurological deficits (brain/nervous system - aka "Sea of Marrow"). The kidneys are linked to the testis thru the creation and storage of Jing - the kidneys draw the Jing of the testis to manufacture Qi, Blood and Shen. Furthermore, the kidneys 'control' the bones, ears, and are responsible for the general health of the other organ systems. Traditionally, if you want to increase the Jing, herbs that tonify the yin and yang of the kidneys are used.

So, western science found a link to the past after all... and they don't even know it.

Better go take my tonic...

peace

herb ox

I would like to respond, but I got my Chi all over my keyboard from the last website I was on.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Yeah, that says a lot.

The one thing I neglected to mention was that one of the best ways to increase Jing and both Yin and Yang in the Kidneys is to PRESERVE the essence... not spill it on your keyboard - that's just plain naasty.

If Jing is necessary to produce Marrow (the brain), spilling it makes you dumber in the long run. And it will make your knees weaker and more prone to injury.

... and you were worried smoking pot kills your brain cells!

recycle it,

ox

you mean because I'm female, I ain't got no jing!?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    till you go and steals all our jing!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Oddly enough, the cells were only able to convert to bone, nerve and muscle tissue, but not cardiac or other organs.
    where did it say that?

well it says;

"...researchers are coaxing them to begin the process of becoming muscle, bone and nerve cells."

I dont know that I would take it to mean they can only be converted to such though...the article is a bit vague.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

My bad. You are correct, this article does not mention that. However, from Bloomberg.com:

" ...While he was able to coax the testicular stem cells to turn into a number of cell types, he wasn't able to make still other types, including heart cells."

From associatedcontent.com:

"There has been no breakthrough with respect to hanging organs such as the heart."

In my verification I came across other sites that said they were able to grow pancreatic cells, others said the could grow heart cells... it's a bummer, really - it seems there's no truly reliable news source. I want to download the article itself, but it's like $32. Am I cheap? If anybody wants to buy the article, or actually has a subscription to Nature perhaps you could lend a helping hand to the situation...

cheers

herb ox

regardless this is a remarkable breakthrough for stem cell research.

thanks for sharing the find

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    you can have some of mine!
    According to the article, you would have to first coax my testicular stem cell.

Hmmmm...so that's what they're callin it these days.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.