Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    hey doug, ive always wondered what that is a picture of in your avatar thing.

is it a camera? or is it a cannon getting ready to blast me out of the water?

or is it something else
    yeah like lueb said its me with a film camera.

total epicness to come to ip man 2

read on brothers read on
    Sammo Hung Steps in Front of the Silver Screen To Challenge Donnie Yen in Ip Man 2
    -- Ip Man 2 --
    At Ip Man pre-production press conference held on March 31, it's announced that Ip Man 2 would commence filming officially in August 2009. Producer Raymond Wong and director Wilson Yip express confidence for the sequel which has a bigger budget - 100m yuan, saying that the sequel will be even more exciting.
    The sequel is set in 1949, right after Ip Man arrives in Hong Kong and is about how Ip Man introduces and propagates Wing Chun in the region, and taking in a few disciples. So, in terms of timeline, there won't be Bruce Lee, and they hope that there would be Bruce Lee in Ip Man 3. While the initial plot outlines for both are done, they would not be shooting Ip Man 3, which would involve Bruce Lee, back to back with Ip Man 2 as previously intended, as they haven't finalised negotiations with Bruce Lee descendants on the rights.

Above all, martial arts choreographer Sammo Hung - the mystery heavyweight actor mentioned before - will be playing a Hung Gar master in the sequel, and will again be going toe to toe - or rather, finger to finger as the case might be - with Donnie Yen since SPL. Sammo Hung says, "As boss didn't pay me in the first, I wouldn't appear in front of the screen. This time I'm getting paid, so I'll be playing a role too."

In Hong Kong, Wing Chun, as taught by Yip Man, is being viewed as a kungfu meant only for girls, while Sammo Hung's Hung Gar is being seen as a macho form of boxing, resulting in exchanges, conflicts and rivalry between the two, with major clash between the two screen titans being main highlight of the sequel.

Fan Siu Wong and Lam Ka Tung will continue to reprise their roles in Ip Man 2. Lam Ka Tung's Li Zhe will be enlisted in the police force once again in Hong Kong while Fan Siu Wong's Jin Shan Zhao will turn over a new leaf and retire from the martial arts world (or more appropriately brigandage), becoming an ordinary citizen, and making friends with Yip Man.

With his latest 2 films, Painted Skin and Ip Man, ruling the roost at the box office, Donnie Yen, has become a "hot commodity", and apart from a share of profits, is getting a substantial pay rise from 10m yuan to 15m yuan for Ip Man 2, says, "Ip Man is indeed my landmark production, this is the first time I'm getting nomination for Best Actor award. I'm grateful to the director, for giving me so much room, presenting an unseen side of Donnie Yen, and also broadening my acting career. It's also very rare for a kungfu film to receive 12 nominations.

"I was even approached this year to be in a romance this year. However, I had to decline due to schedule conflicts. This year, I wish to challenge different roles, to go beyond the limits of my histrionics, so the characters I accept have to give the audience a different feel.

"Currently, I'll be shooting 4 films this year: Dark October (Teddy Chan), Imperial Guard (Daniel Lee), Yip Man 2 (Wilson Ip), and another one - actually it's two, but I have to make a choice between them. I'm still thinking over it, but I'll definitely do one of them. If there are other scripts, they'd have to wait till next year.

"But my main focus is Ip Man 2, it's still in scripting phase. His life undergoes tremendous changes in Hong Kong, and his mentality also changes as well but he still keeps a humble and low-profile life. But he will face more events."

Meanwhile, Gordon Chan indicates that he's still working on the film Chen Zhen and intends to invite Donnie Yen, who has given verbal agreement, to play the eponymous martyr, "We all know that Huo Yuan Jia has a disciple, his name and status, but no one knows exactly what kind of person he is." Sohu, Sina, Henan News

On a separate note, Taiwanese producer Yang Pei Pei has managed to secure the rights to making a 40-part TV version of Ip Man. It expects to begin production in September, and Yip Man's sons Yip Chun and Yip Ching would serve as the consultants. The cast is not decided yet, though Yang Pei Pei, who's after realistic martial arts scenes, is eying a martial arts actor, such as Zhao Wen Zhuo or Wu Jing. EastDay

I did enjoy this...

...but I didn't think it would earn 'best film'.
    Ip Man Tops Bill at HK Film Awards
    http://english.dbw.cn   2009-04-20 08:57:25

"Ip Man," a profile of the martial arts teacher of the same name starring Donnie Yen, took top honors at the annual awards ceremony, but the low-budget "The Way We Are" took home prizes for best director Ann Hui, best actress Paw Hee Ching, and best supporting actress for Chan Lai-wun.

Best actor went to Nick Cheung, who portrayed a kidnapper who struggles to care for his wife in the action thriller "The Beast Stalker." Liu Kai-chi took home a best supporting actor award for his work in the same film.

The action-filled "Ip Man" describes how the kung fu master resisted Japanese rule in his southern Chinese hometown during the World War II era. Ip's most famous disciple was Lee, who studied with him for five years starting at age 13.

Producer Raymond Wong said he felt bad that Yen and director Wilson Yip lost in their categories but was pleased with the best film award because it "honors everyone involved in the movie."

But the sentimental favorite of the night was "The Way We Are," a rare, locally flavored film at a time when the Hong Kong industry is increasingly catering to the booming Chinese mainland market with historical and kung fu epics.

Its competitors were mainly expensive blockbusters, including John Woo's US$80 million "Red Cliff."

Paw - who in the film played a single mother raising a teenage son in Hong Kong's suburban Tin Shui Wai district - recalled how director Hui struggled to find funding.

"Such a great director faced so much pressure. She didn't have money or a big cast, but she used great passion and a serious attitude to make this movie," Paw said after collecting her best actress trophy.

She said expectations were low for the film, "we all just wanted to help Ann make a meaningful movie."

Picking up her best director award, Hui said: "When I was a student, I thought winning a prize at Cannes was the best thing. But I've matured. Now I realize that receiving an award from your own people makes me the happiest."

Woo's "Red Cliff," about an ancient Chinese battle, missed out on the major prizes but collected a slew of technical awards, including best visual effects and two art awards for art director Tim Yip.

Woo was seen chuckling after organizers showed a parody of his classic 1986 gangster film "A Better Tomorrow" that portrayed its iconic trench-coat wearing character using duck heads instead of guns to fire at his enemies. The parody was part of a lighthearted tribute to "Stealing a Roasted Duck," a short from 1909 that was the first Hong Kong-made film.

Director Wong Kar-wai presented a lifetime achievement award to veteran actress Josephine Siao, a best actress winner at the Berlin Film Festival for the 1995 film "Summer Snow."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

I did, it was a great film. I knew Donnie wouldn't get best actor but I knew the film would win big as a whole due to the overwhelming success.
    To Ah Mui with love.

this article has to do with a few of donnies projects, including one where he and his mentor woo ping might reunite. but at the end they mention who is going to be in ip man 2, besides sammo as a hung ga master, they will also be introducing a disciple who was good at talking with his hands.

Wanted: Donnie Yen
    Wilson Yip will be directing A Chinese Ghost Story next year. Nope, Donnie Yen won't be in this but there are other versions of Dark Tales that hope to cast him.

Media Asia will be producing a comedic version of A Chinese Ghost Story, possibly directed by Gordon Chan, with Miriam Yeung as Nie Xiao Qian, possibly Huang Xiao Ming as Ning Cai Cheng, while Donnie Yen is being sought to play Yan Chi Xia. Lensing begins in November. But given that Donnie Yen's schedule is already fully packed this year, the offer has been turned down, says his manager.

Yuen Wo Ping has long been planning Heroine/Swordswoman/A Touch of Zen, a movie adaptation of one of Dark Tales' short stories. Production is expected to begin by early next year. China Film Group is producing. And yes, Donnie Yen's on Yuen Wo Ping's cast list.

Chen Zhen would be the fourth film Donnie Yen is doing this year - the others being the ongoing production Bodyguards and Assassins, 14 Blades, which begins filming in Hengdian in mid-May, and Ip Man 2. Gordon Chan would produce and Andrew Lau direct. Budget is around 60m yuan. Production would begin in Shanghai this November. After much vacillation, Donnie Yen has picked this over another comedy.

Wilson Yip reveals that a major theme in Ip Man 2 revolves around Yip Man taking in a new disciple, someone especially good at fighting, "In Cantonese, we call fighting 'talking with hands", and this disciple was 'King of Talking with Hands'.

"In the 50s, disputes often erupted between various martial arts sects, much like the underworld. The story of Ip Man and this disciple took place amidst the hubbub. The film is about the spiritual disciple and physical training of kungfu."

And if Bruce Lee ever appears in this film, he would just be a little kid. Filming begins in August. NetEase, CCTV

and before people who are not in the know speculate. its wong shueng lueng(could have spelled his name wrong, wing chun people correct me) not bruce lee.

Thumbs up Ip Man Movie Review

Put up a short review of "Ip Man" for any interested. Check out www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com for the review.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Jake

A good review Jake. Regards,

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Put up a short review of "Ip Man" for any interested. Check out www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com for the review.
    Cheers
    Jake
    only thing i would say about it is that ip man is not the founder of wing chun as you incorrectly stated. other then that good review.

Ip Man 2

Ip Man seems to be doing well in the Asian Film Festivals in America. I wonder if we'll get an art house release?

Sequel to hit biopic about Bruce Lee's kung fu master begins filming in China
    By Min Lee (CP) – 4 hours ago

HONG KONG — Chinese filmmakers have begun shooting the sequel to the hit biopic about Bruce Lee's kung fu master, Ip Man.

Director Wilson Yip, Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen and other cast members attended a traditional Chinese ceremony Monday honouring Ip in his southern hometown, Foshan, to mark the beginning of the shoot, Hong Kong production company Mandarin Films said in a statement received Thursday.

"Ip Man," which was released in December, was named best film at the Hong Kong Film Awards in April. It made 120 million yuan ($18 million) in China and another 25 million Hong Kong dollars ($3.2 million) in Hong Kong.

The sequel does not yet have an English name.

Ip trained in the wing chun style of kung fu, which traces its roots to a monk from the famed Shaolin Temple. He left for Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. In Hong Kong, he taught kung fu to restaurant workers but broadened his reach to hundreds of students, including Lee, before dying in 1972.

"Ip Man" ends with his departure for Hong Kong. The 100 million Chinese yuan ($15 million) sequel, which will be released in the summer of 2010, focuses on his life in Hong Kong, the Mandarin Films statement said.

Lee will be played by the 10-year-old Chinese child actor Jiang Daiyan, and the film shoot will take place mostly on a set in Shanghai.

Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai is also planning a biopic of Ip starring Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ok, so I FINALLY got to see this movie.
    I really did like it I must say.
    Ah, if only WC looked like that in real life
    My wife really enjoyed the movie too, which is always a good thing.
    Funny part, up until the fight vs the 10 Karateka she was not impressed with WC and then she was blown away !

<<SIDE NOTE:
    She turns to me and says,'Isn't that what you did to Claudio last summer are his brothers bar-b-que?"
    She was referring to my brother-in-laws brother who is a Cop and a MMA guy and how we were clowning around last summer. >>

I must say, Donnie can make any MA look good, that is a given, but he really sold the WC in this movie.
    The historical crap aside ( Just like you have to put it aside in Fearless and such) it was a very enjoyable movie that made me wanna "Go Ip Man on someones ass!!!"

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A yip man movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt34aHAFkV8&feature=fvw

anyone seen this? apparently there is also a second movie now.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

7, you've been away too long...

There are 5 Ip Man flicks we've been discussing.

This thread is #1. Here's #2. Here's #3 (in production). Then there's the others, Legend is Born, which just dropped I think and Grandmaster, which has been plagued with issues but has incredible potential given who is involved.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol, looks like I've got some catching up to do.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

does anyone know what style Chen Zhi Hui ... Master Liao was supposed to be doing in the film?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Chow gar, i.e. Southern Mantis I believe.