Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Not sure if this has been posted already.

Rindge

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...Announced.html

Ip Man Movie

Hi All,

I just spoke with my Sifu, Master Samuel Kwok. He told me that one of my Kung Fu brothers, Leo Au Yeung, is working with Sammo Hung on the fight scenes and working with the cast on their Wing Chun. I worked with Leo when I was in Hong Kong last September, and he is very good. If he has a say, the Wing Chun in the movie should be good.

I understand Ip Chun is also very involved in the project in advising on the historical details. With the cast they have for this movie, it should be a major movie in terms of promotion.

-Tony Massengill

I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie, after his last couple of flicks he has shown that he can be the premiere asian MMA superstar, the choreography and his excellent technical ablity make his mixed MA moves come to life on the screen and while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

there are actually two films one by wilson yip another by wong kar wai. yips version will be more like those old folk hero movies while wang's version will be more of a bio pic

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can't help but feel that this may be a step down for Donnie... while his past performances of "TMA" have been excellent, I think that this is a step back for him.
    The thing is, with Sammo involved with this project the film is bound to be released in a much bigger way than any previous Donnie flick. His talent is extraordinary so it will only help him get better mainstream movies in the future imo. Even Jackie made films like The Protector and Battle Creek Brawl before he was a household name!

Donnies presence far outweighed Jets in their Hero scene, so let's see how good he really is at Wing Chun! It's about time the oldskool Warriors Two genre film were updated...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

i donink sammo's involvment matters. as he is not as big of a star as he use to be and donnie right now is on the top of the heap in terms of modern day actioners. spl,dragon tiger gate,and flashpoint were all high grossed films both in hong kong theaters and DVD sale in the united states. this won't be donnies big film as spl was.

Yip Man Biopic

Yen, Yip and Sammo? Save me a front row seat!

Bruce Lee's Master Subject of Biopics
    By MIN LEE – 16 hours ago

FOSHAN, China (AP) — Bruce Lee is the master to many martial arts fans, but less is known about his master, Ip Man, a pioneer in the kung fu style that influenced Lee. Hong Kong filmmakers hope to change that by bringing Ip's story to the big screen.

On Tuesday, action stars Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung from the U.S. TV series "Martial Law" prepared to start shooting one of two planned movies about Ip. They joined Ip's sons in paying tribute to their father at his hometown in the southern city of Foshan, a four hours northwest of Hong Kong.

Performers staged a traditional Chinese lion dance featuring four bright orange lions on outdoor platform near a memorial hall that honors Ip.

Yen posed next to a bust of Ip and performed a series of maneuvers against a wooden mannequin — a common practice in kung fu's wing chun style, which is known for its practical, no-frills style.

Yen, a veteran action star whose credits include "Blade II," "Hero" and "Shanghai Knights," said his role as Ip would be his most challenging ever.

"We all know that teacher Ip Man promoted Chinese kung fu around the world. He's also the teacher of my idol Bruce Lee. So when I took this role I put a lot of pressure on myself," he said.

Yen's reverence for Ip's legacy is testimony to his storied reputation.

Born in Foshan in 1893, Ip started training around 1903 in wing chun. He arrived in Hong Kong in the 1940s to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. In Hong Kong, he started out teaching kung fu to restaurant workers but broadened his reach to hundreds of students, including Lee, before passing away in 1972.

Lee, who died in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain, studied under Ip for five years, according to his official biography on the Bruce Lee Foundation Web site.

The movie starring Yen isn't the only production about Ip Man in the works.

Famed Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai is also planning a biopic starring Cannes best actor winner Tony Leung Chiu-wai, although the timetable for the project is unclear.

Wong's Jettone Films has not released any information about the movie, but Leung said this week he planned to devote the second half of this year to studying wing chun and hoped to start shooting at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

Yen's movie, a $5 million production directed by Wilson Yip, aims to start shooting in March in Shanghai and to be released early next year, Yip said Tuesday.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

WHAT!!!! Gene Ching post something without checking if it was already posted.Yip man biopic

dang it

I searched, but I must have only searched the Media forum. Oh well, that's easily remedied.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Footage of Press Conference for Opening of Production

Hi all,

Here is a link to the opening ceremony at the Ip Man Tong for production of the movie. My Sigungs Ip Ching and Ip Chun were in attendance and addressed those in attendance. Donnie Yen demonstrates the dummy form.

Enjoy

- Tony Massengill

I am just stoked that Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung and Wilson Yip are all teaming up again. SPL was pretty awesome and I look forward to this.

BTW, when the hell is Flashpoint coming out on DVD in the U.S?

its already out on dvd in the us. if your waiting for the dragon dynasty release then go to their site

You can find here in New York in fact it's been out here for at least 3 months give or take a month.....
    RAYNYSC

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    its already out on dvd in the us. if your waiting for the dragon dynasty release then go to their site
    What the frick? I didnt know it was out already. Is it a good release? I am kind of a perfectionist and like to wait for a definitive release rather than buying a crap one and regretting it.

Edit: checked dragon dynasty. Trailer looks sweet! 2 disc edition coming out april 22. I think I can wait until then. I will want this edition to see the interviews. Donnie Yen gives pretty good interviews and they are usually in English.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-29-2008 at 06:03 PM.

yip man updates

ok since people have seem to be sleeping on whats looking like one of the best kung fu films of all time. i decided to update everybody. filming has already commenced on yip man here is the full cast list:

Director
    Wilson Yip

Producer/Presenter
    Raymond Wong

Action director
    Sammo Hung

Cast
    Donnie Yen ... Yip Man
    Simon Yam ... Zhou Qing Quan
    Fan Siu-Wong ... Jin Shan Zhao
    Lynn Hung ... Zhang Zhang Yong Cheng
    Gordon Lam ... Li Zhao
    Li Ze ... Yip Chun
    Xing Yu ... Master Zealot Lin
    Wong You Nam ... Shao Dan Yuan
    Li Qi Long ... Green Dragon
    Chen Zhi Hui ... Master Liao
    Zhou Zhong ... Master He
    To Yu Hang ... Hu Wei
    Hiroyuki Ikeuchi ... Miura
    Shibuya Tama ... Japanese General
    Zhong Han Hao ... Clothing Factory supervisor
    Lu Mei Fang ... Clothing Factory worker
    Gu Yin ... Clothing Factory worker
    Bian Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker
    Ding Yi Lan ... Clothing Factory worker
    Xu Ming Yu ... Clothing Factory worker
    Fan Yu Lin ... Clothing Factory worker
    Shi Rui Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
    Wang Zheng ... Clothing Factory worker
    Liu Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
    Gao Yuan ... Clothing Factory worker
    Yang Xu Feng ... Clothing Factory worker
    Cai Rong Jun ... Clothing Factory worker
    Wang Hui Liang ... Clothing Factory worker
    Xu Chuan Jian ... Clothing Factory worker
    Lu Kai ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
    Mao Wen Jun ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
    Jin Gang ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
    Zhang Bo ... Jin Shan Zhao's Bodyguard
    Chen Ka Da ... Yip's Steward
    Wang Xiao Fang ... Yip's Maid
    Sheng Qi Rong ... Li Zhao's father
    Han Meng Xin ... Li Zhao's daughter

as you see this film also has donnie reteaming with simon yam as well as sammo and wilson.

also here are some images from wu-jing.org:

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...n-Yip-Man.html

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...n-Yip-Man.html

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/ar...r-Yip-Man.html

and to cap it all off here is a press conference where donnie talks about getting an eye injury on the set of the film which is his second in his career his first was delivered by jet li's old stunt double hung yan yan on the set of once upon a time in china 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cDoDY-aNFA

also check out the awesome clips from the film. in my opinion and from the clips i've seen this film is going to be like fearless meets fist of fury. i can't wait, release date is looking like december 19 08. but i hope it comes out faster then that.