Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Thank you.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Finally in a U.S. theater

It's been shown at Festivals but this is the first run in a regular theater in our area. Ip Man opens at the 4 Star in San Francisco on 10/29/2010. Would that be enough cause for an SF KFM forum gathering?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm tempted to go see this

It would be fun on the big screen for sure. Also I want to support the 4 Star for running it. It's just finding the time to get up to S.F. for a movie...
    Review: 'Ip Man' is a fun kung-fu throwback movie
    G. Allen Johnson, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Friday, October 29, 2010

POLITE APPLAUSE Action. Starring Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Lynn Hung. Directed by Wilson Yip. In Cantonese, Mandarin and Japanese with subtitles. (Not rated. 106 minutes. At the 4 Star.)

Mandarin Films Distribution
    Donnie Yen gets his big break in "Ip Man" after more than two decades of mostly supporting roles in Hong Kong movies.

"Ip Man" is a throwback to those chopsocky Hong Kong films of the 1970s - a period piece filmed on obvious but eye-pleasing studio sets with wall-to-wall kung fu and a simplistic, philosophical message.

If you're of a certain age, you might have seen films like this terribly dubbed, chopped up and on local TV at 3 a.m. - or you might have seen them in their full glory at Chinatown movie houses.

But this is a 2008 movie, a huge hit in China and Hong Kong that finally made Donnie Yen, a second and third banana for a quarter of a century, a major box office star. He is the It Man of the moment, even if his Ip Man is largely fictional.

Ip Man, or Yip Man, was a real guy. He lived from 1893-1972 and is considered the first martial arts master of the now popular Wing Chun style of kung fu - his many disciples included Bruce Lee. Wilson Yip's film focuses on Ip Man's life in his hometown of Foshon, China, in the 1930s, when the Japanese invaded much of China. Ip Man and his family - his wife (Lynn Hung) and their young son - are ousted from their family home by the Japanese, who use it as a military headquarters. Ip Man closes his martial arts school, sets his family up in a shanty and works in a labor camp.

It isn't long before he emerges from anonymity, as the Japanese are killing Chinese volunteers in martial arts tournaments designed to prove Japanese superiority. Ip Man takes up the challenge and becomes a rallying cry for the oppressed Chinese.

With amusing bursts of comic book dialogue ("My northern boxing has lost to your southern one!"), it isn't Shakespeare. But it's a highly entertaining, big-budget, kick-butt kung fu movie, the best of its kind since Jet Li's "Fearless" in 2006.

At its center is a charismatic star. Yen was born in China, raised in Boston and has been in Hong Kong movies since the mid-1980s, mostly in supporting roles (Western viewers might know him best from his fight scene with Li in Zhang Yimou's "Hero," or roles in Hollywood films like "Blade II" and "Highlander: Endgame"). Since "Ip Man" was released in 2008, he's had a string of hits - "Bodyguards and Assassins," "Ip Man 2" - and at age 47 is finally getting the fame he deserves.

Advisory: Lots of bone-crunching kung fu fight scenes, but otherwise clean entertainment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Has anyone else seen this funny parody of the last fight scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXLIlNrYNA

Ip man grand prize!

Enter to win a IP MAN GRAND PRIZE (3 DVDS: Ip Man, Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster & Ip Man: The Final Fight)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 11/14/13. Good luck everyone!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for 'BEST OF DONNIE YEN' PRIZE PACK including 5 Donnie Yen films on Blu-Ray™: IP MAN, IP MAN 2, ICEMAN, FLASH POINT, & LEGEND OF THE FIST!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 4/30/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips