Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

So far

All of his movies that I was able to watch were pretty **** good. This one looks as if it will fall into that category.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Yip Man movie trailer

Yip Man movie trailer starring Donnie Yen as Yip Man.
    http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=SHSs-_9Q-bk

I just watched the trailer, and this movie looks fantastic. I've always enjoyed playing hands, but I have never been big working on Wing Chun. My former sifu would have Saturday classes on Wing Chun techniques, but they were a small part of what we learned. I did visit a Wing Chun school and considered joining, but missed the variety that's found in many other styles. Seeing this footage though, makes me want to rethink some of that. Perhaps one day, I will take a closer look at learning Wing Chun in greater detail. One thing is for certain, the fight scenes in this film look great and I hope it has some emotional content and meat to it story wise as well.

12/19/2008

With the WKW/Tony Leung project, it's going to be dueling Ip Mans...
    "Ip Man" to Be Released in December
    2008-11-10 16:48:13 CRIENGLISH.com

Hong Kong action movie "Ip Man" will open on December 19 in Chinese theatres for the year-end box office battle.

The movie, helmed by director Wilson Yip, is adapted from the story of Ip Man. It retells the life of the grand master of Wing Chun martial arts, known internationally as Bruce Lee's teacher.

Ip Man is played by kung fu star Donnie Yen. He spent nine months learning Wing Chun, Yen told the Dahe Daily.

One of Hong Kong's most popular partnerships, Wong Kar Wai and Tony Leung, will also make a biopic of the kung fu master. Their movie will start filming next summer, a report said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Any US release date, or only on dvd?
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

who knows

hopefully it will get released but who knows. it comes out next month. csnt wait to see it.

I have a question

Since the Donnie Yen movie is approved by Ip Man's family (which hopefully means as accurate history and kung fu as possible) then why is Wong Kar Wai also making another movie of the same topic?

Is Wong Kar Wai movie also approved by the family?

Isn't the financial backers worried that no one want to watch a movie on the same topic again so close together? (even though Wong Kar Wai's movies are quite...eh...unique)

any thoughts?

ok this is an easy answer. the donnie yen/wilson yip film is really not 100% acurate and is actually more of a folk lore kung fu movie ala wong fei hung. it deals more with the martial arts element more then anything else. WKW's film on the other hand will ofcourse be more of an art house peice an while it will have kung fu in it, cannot be construed as a kung fu movie more biographical, also the ip family has approved b oth movies. not that it matters mind you, plus both films deal with different phases of th masters life the DY/WY film deal with a younger ip man while the WKW/tony lueng one deals with an older ip man. as for investors, films are made about the same subject matter all the time and they do quite well. i remember after capote came out, a slew of other capote type film came right behind it all to some degree of success. Even still, look at wong fei hung, well over a hundred different movies have been made about him over the last 70 years or so, again with various degrees of success.

Thanks Doug Maverick! I guess that makes sense and I look forward to seeing a bald Tony Leung.

I just watched Ip Man trailer...what's with him fighting a room full of guys in karate gi? I mean did this actually happen or did Donnie insisting of constantly fulfilling his "Fist of Fury" fantasy in projects he makes?

Just curious.

i doubt that, that happened at least in that manner but hey you never know.lol, again this is more of a based on a true story type thing, alot of artistic license was taken im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Any US release date, or only on dvd?
    im guessing that maybe in a few locations only, if that. maybe some festival?

ill probably just buy a dvd from china as soon as i can
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

just a warning never get the mainland chinese release of any movie. they chop the **** out of it. look at spl thy cut alot out in the chinese version. i mean some stuff i understand like where the drug dealers are banging this girl out and she is naked, ok. but the dramtic twist at the end when he push's donnie out the window and he falls on top of sammo's characters wife and kid. u cant just take that part out. they did the same thing in quite few movies i can name PRC man PRC thats all i got to say. i woujld wit for the HK release. before getting any dvd.

Hmm...I don't remember the part about the girl in the domestic release of SPL but the ending was there.

It'll get a dvd release eventually. Good thing I am patient.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

yip man past the test

looks like yip man is going to be a hit

Positive Responses at Ip Man Test Screening
    -- Ip Man --

Test screening for Ip Man was held in Beijing on Dec 4. Based on the survey sheets returned by the audience, it's an unanimous recommendation. Donnie Yen's portrayal of Yip Man was billed as the year's best performance. Donnie Yen has acquitted himself well as a great master, besting his two other works this year. High marks were also given to Fan Siu Wong, Lam Ka Tung, and Lynn Hung.

The first half of the film is filled with more laidback, humourous moments, amply showing Ip Man's kungfu. The second half is thoughtful, stirring and nationalistic, amply showing Ip Man's grandmaster spirit. As a traditional kungfu film, Ip Man's martial arts scenes were awarded 8 to 9 out of 10 by 85% of the audience, while full marks were given by the rest.

Ip Man premieres on December 14 and opens in theatres on December 16. Beijing Times

1.4 million yaun

ip man took in on its opening day, critics are claiming donnie yen's portrayal of yip man is as good as chow yun fat's li mu bai, i always take alot of these chinese reviews with a grain of salt since i know for a fact that most of those reviewers can be bought(sucks to say) i read a spoiler ridden review, and they took a huge liberty with this film that i wont even say just saying that the ip man in this movie can join fifty cents record label and no he doesn't rap, but think about it and you'll get it. but with that said i still cant wait to watch this one and i have been invited to watch it at my friends wing chun kwoon, so i'll get a immediate reaction from some members of the wing chun community.