Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

Anyone can be bought

...reviewers don't make that much. It's a hard industry - reviewing - because everyone wants that job. Your opinion has to resonate across the most readers to retain a readership. It's tough starting out.

But back OT, Ip Man does look very promising, eh? Who will be the first here in with a review?

Donnie Yen takes on the role of his life
    By MICHAEL CHEANG

Despite countless action movies under his belt, Donnie Yen confesses that it was no easy task playing the grandmaster of Wing Chun.

First things first – the title Ip Man is pronounced as “Eep-Man”, not “I-P Man”, and it’s certainly not a movie about a superhero called Internet Protocol Man going around saving computers from spam.

It is the biopic of one of the most celebrated martial arts grandmasters of recent times – Ip Man, grandmaster of Wing Chun.

Besides being a grandmaster of one of the most practised martial arts styles in the world, Ip Man is also known as the teacher of a certain kung fu legend named Bruce Lee.
    The man: Ip Man (Donnie Yen) hones his skills on a Wing Chun wooden dummy.

In view of that, who better to portray the man than a martial arts actor who was once hailed as the actor with the closest fighting style to that of the late Lee himself – Donnie Yen?

While Yen himself was up to the task, he admits that it was no easy role to play.

In fact, during an exclusive interview with the American-born actor in Hong Kong recently, Yen explained that he spent more time researching and preparing for the role than any other movie he has ever done, as the movie is not only a biography about a well-known kung fu master who not only influenced Bruce Lee, but is also a master of the most practised martial arts style all over the world.

“To portray a character like this, any actor must be fully prepared to the most accurate and truest to both the historical facts and the characteristics of the character,” Yen said. “I spent a great deal of time researching and preparing for this role, far more than any other role I have ever done ... no, far more than every role combined!”

According to Yen, Ip Man is a character that is very different from the usual stereotypical kung fu master one usually sees in the movies.

“Ip Man was a very family-oriented man. He was also very subtle, and never forced his philosophy or style on others. His personality was like that of your next-door neighbour – very down to earth and humble, and I think this sort of personality will appeal to audiences of all ages and gender.

“You can relate to a person like this because he is a very soft spoken, down to earth and a nice guy. It just happens that he is a kung fu master as well!” he said with a laugh.

Living the role

Directed by Wilson Yip (SPL, Flash Point), the movie focuses on Ip Man’s rise to prominence during the 1930s, when the wushu craze was at its height in his home village of Foshan as well as the hardships he faced during the Japanese occupation of China.
    The villain: Fan Siu Wong is Ip Man’s nemesis, Jin Shan Zhao.

The movie also stars Lynn Hung as his wife Cheung Wing-sing, Simon Yam, Lam Ka Tung, and Hiroyuki Ikeuchi.

Surprisingly, this is the first ever movie based on the legendary kung fu grandmaster, despite several attempts in the past.

Yen was cast in the role a decade ago by directors Jeffery Lau and Corey Yuen, but that particular project fell through when the production company went bust.

Thus, when he finally managed to make this movie, it felt as though he was fulfilling his destiny.

“I feel like I’ve always been destined to play this role. A decade ago, I was cast in the role and even signed contracts and received deposits for it, but the movie was cancelled,” he recalled.

“Then when I was in China (in 2007) doing An Empress and the Warriors, I received a call from (producer) Raymond Wong, asking me to do Ip Man. He also said that he had full support from the Ip family, particularly his eldest son Ip Chun.

“From that moment, I told myself I would spend more time than ever preparing for it.”

While preparing for the role, Yen not only did as much research on the legend as he could, he also tried to be Ip Man as well.

“I wasn’t just acting the role – I actually lived it. I was totally in that world to come out as accurate as possible. My mind and spirit was all about playing Ip.

“For example, I would wear his clothes all around the hotel, drink tea the way he used to, and even changed the way I walked and talked,” he said. “I usually do things and talk very quickly, but Ip is a lot more laid-back. So I adjusted my tempo, and slowed everything down.”

Physically, Yen also had to go on a special regime just so he could look like the master.

“For a while, I was pretty muscular so I had to go on a diet to slim down. I was eating one meal a day, sometimes just drinking a glass of water, just to make sure that physically, I would look exactly like Ip, who is very scholarly and slim.

“I would also discuss every single detail of the role with the director to make sure we got it right. Sometimes we even called Ip Chun to ask him if his father would do something like that.”

Action and direction

While the role was Yen’s hardest emotionally and mentally, in terms of the physical aspect of it, the actor was glad to have the equally legendary martial arts expert, Sammo Hung, around to direct the action sequences.

Yip and Yen decided to hire Hung mainly because of his experience on two past movies that involved the Wing Chun style – 1982’s The Prodigal Son and 1978’s Warriors Two (Zan Xian Sheng Yu Zhao Qian Hua).

“Those two films for me were the most accurate Wing Chun movies ever made, and our mission here is to top that,” said Yen. “It was also great to have Sammo on board to do the action, so that I could concentrate 100% on just acting the role.”

Ip Man also marks the fourth time that Yen and Yip are working together, and they both agree that this may be their best movie together yet.

“After working together three times, we are already familiar with each other’s strengths and weaknesses. However, this is probably the best collaboration we have ever had yet, in terms of the distribution of work, ideas and chemistry,” said Yip.

For director Yip, the greatest challenge of the movie was deciding on what period of Ip’s life to focus on. “In the beginning, we had a hard time deciding when to set the movie in. Do we choose the part where he meets Bruce Lee? Or his life during the Japanese occupation?” said Yip.

“Our biggest concern was that we would not be able to do justice to the memory of Ip Man, and would not live up to the expectations of his family.”

At the end of the day, Yen’s ultimate goal for the movie is not to showcase the Wing Chun fighting style, but to highlight the positive moral values that Ip Man stood for.

“We wanted to do this movie because Ip Man was a man who inspired the world and society as a whole. He was a man who believed in certain morals and principles, and we want to use this movie as a platform to convey those values to the audience. For me, that was the most important part of making this movie,” concluded Yip.

Ip Man opens in Malaysian cinemas on Thursday.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I am really looking forward to this movie, not only as a an of DY and Sammo, but SPL and Flashpoint were quite excellent.
    The trailer shows some nice fighting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

In fact, during an exclusive interview with the American-born actor in Hong Kong recently,
    guy needs to get his fact straight, considering donnie on move to the states when he was 11 or 12.

as for ip man, me either but i hope people know that this movie is like 70% inaccurate. at least thats the way its looking from the reviews i read and the trailers. it looks like they are gonna make ip man the new wong fei hung.

behind the scenes

just found this footage on facebook of all places.

behind the scenes 1

shooting diary

Looks like this will be a fun watch. I'm looking forward to it on DVD, as I'm fairly certain it won't get a U.S. theatrical release. *Maybe* in limited art-house release, which may or may not even come here. Though I agree that they'll probably be making Ip Man into the new Wong Fei Hong (and Huo Yuan Jia).

it could get a us theatrical release, all you have to do is do what they

are already doing, use the bruce lee connect. anyway here is donnie talking about ip man in english

Director eyes pop singer to star as Bruce Lee

HONG KONG — He lists Jet Li as one of his idols, penned a song called "Nunchucks" and his most recent movie is called "Kung Fu Dunk." Now he's in the running to star as the ultimate martial arts icon — Bruce Lee.

Hong Kong director Wilson Yip said Monday he's considering Taiwanese pop sensation Jay Chou for the role of Lee in the sequel to his recently released film "Ip Man," a biography of Lee's kung fu master.

Also in his sights to star as the king of kung fu cinema is another singer-turned-actor, Hong Kong's Aaron Kwok.

"Aaron Kwok will bring his unique qualities to the role of Bruce Lee. Jay Chou will bring his unique qualities. I will prepare a different script for each actor and see who is interested," Yip told The Associated Press.

He said Hong Kong actor Donnie Yen will reprise his role as the title character, Ip Man.

"Ip Man" is based on the life of the legendary master of wing chun — a kung fu style that traces its roots to a monk from the famed Shaolin Temple.

The film ends with Ip's move from his southern Chinese hometown of Foshan to neighboring Hong Kong to escape the Communist takeover of the mainland. It was in Hong Kong where Ip met 13-year-old Lee and took him under his wing.

Yip said the follow-up film will focus on Ip's relationship with his most famous disciple.

Polly Chan, a publicist for Hong Kong's Mandarin Films Ltd., confirmed that the company has plans to make a sequel but the final decision depends on the box office results for the original.

"Ip Man" took in about 30 million Chinese yuan ($4.4 million) on its opening weekend Dec. 12 in China, a solid performance in a country where a movie that makes 100 million yuan ($15 million) is considered a hit.

Lee, who died in Hong Kong in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain, was born in San Francisco but grew up in Hong Kong, where he launched his big screen career as an international martial arts superstar. His credits include "The Chinese Connection," ''Enter the Dragon" and "Return of the Dragon."

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/140677/D...r-as-Bruce-Lee
    so what do you guys think, im personally disappointed with the choices i dont think chou or kwok has the chops to play bruce.

that's messed up...

I'm not a fan of Chou. I liked him in CotGF but thought Kung Fu Dunk was silly. I really felt he was trying to do Lee in KFD and that's what spoiled it (apart from being a rip off of Shaolin Soccer)

Extra points to whoever can find a link to the nunchucks song.

I think right now the best man for Lee would be Danny Chan Kwok Kwan from The Legend of Bruce Lee.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i actually hated him in curse of the golden flower, he didnt remind me of a warrior prince, it might be nit picking and im sure it is but his, movement his speech and even his got ****ed walk was way to modern and untrained. if your going to do a period peice you have to live in that period. watch all the great period films and even the bad ones and you'll see what i mean, about living in the period. i actually feel like i should start a petition or something. why don't they give the role to one of the jackie chan disciple winners, jack tu or because of his wing chun skills my boy jerry. at least they are young enough to play a teenage lee, hell jerry still is a teenager. or some other young martial arts talent thats out there. this is bruce mutha fu cking lee we are talking about.

ye wen - Grandmaster Yip Man Movie

this movie just hit the streets of china this past week or so. I got a copy, but it didnt work, and only saw on the net now that it has only been released in china about 12 days ago (though I can swear I've seen the posters even before that ... ).

Will wait another week or so to get a better quality of the dvd.

anyways, heres the trailor. http://www.ipman-movie.com/main_en.html

btw - the release of the movie is what sparked the argument between Wu jing and the Wing chun community in HK
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

dude

you been on the board for ten years, and u dont know that A. what u posted has already been posted and B. anything media related goes here, martial media and popular culture save the mods the trouble. and i figured thats what sparked it, which leads me even more to believe it a media ploy, because wujings movie is not doing so well.

I don’t know what your issue with me is, but give it a break please. I’m working over Christmas, Im bored, Im enjoying this forum. Theres not much else going on here.

Its either of topic banter or taking about the Green Grass monk over here. The main forum is all about American politics and MMA this and BJJ that …

If you have a personal issue with me, message me in private. Otherwise please ignore my posts if you have nothing to say.

得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Take a fawking chill pill Doug Maverick.

Don't know what your problem is with Eddie but he is legit and if you DO have a problem with him take it to PM's and stop polluting every fawking thread he participates in.

/End
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

Blog Entries
    yeah what they said! lol

now let's get back to the green grass monk okay!!!!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael View Post
    Take a fawking chill pill Doug Maverick.

Don't know what your problem is with Eddie but he is legit and if you DO have a problem with him take it to PM's and stop polluting every fawking thread he participates in.

/End
    uh yeah if you read my post. and my other post then you would know there is no problem with him at all. i think your the one who needs a chill pill.