Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ip Man starring Donnie Yen

In these chinese kungfu movies, u will always get to watch the common scenes:

Chinese kungfu master vs japanese karate master/sumo wrestler;
    Chinese kungfu master vs western boxer/kickboxing champion;
    Chinese kungfu master vs muaythai master

And the story always end with....... Chinese kungfu master won the fights.

The story doesn't quite attract me much but the fighting stunts are quite attractive to watch.

Just watched it last night. Entertaining, not the greatest, but probably the most realistic Wing Chun movie fight scenes you will ever see LOL.

For the history buffs, like myself, you're going to have to turn off that part of your brain to enjoy the film.

Wonder what Yip Man's surviving friends and students in China thought of this movie ?

In the film was the factory boss son suppose to be Lun Gai (Yip Man's 1st student) ?

It was fact that he taught factory workers at a cotton mill and according to Yip Chun he did indeed jam a policeman's gun and popped the barrel out with his hands though not sure about the real circumstances of that incident.

^^^ The story, if I remember what I read correctly, is that Ip Man was a police officer and he did that to the gun of a guy causing trouble in a park. His sons served as consultants on the film, but the writers took a lot of liberty LOL

Sadly it does seem like Yip chun was invited to add marketing rather than real credibility !

I give it a hearty thumbs up

Some good action sequences for sure. As to it's authenticity to Wing Chun, well, Wing Chun people argue about authenticity of the different lineages so much that there's no way a movie would satisfy them. I'd say it's more authentic than Michelle Yeoh's Wing Chun (ironically also starring Donnie) but not nearly as authentic as Prodigal Son. Still, if you want to see authenticity of kung fu, you shouldn't be looking for it in the movies. Same goes for the story. This is not a documentary. It's highly fictionalized, like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It's entertainment, not history.

That being said, it was very entertaining. The first half of the film was well paced with lots of fun fights. What I like about Donnie is that he really adopts different styles in his films. If you look at Bruce, Jackie, Jet, or even Jaa now, they each have a signature style of fighting that's uniquely their own. You can see others trying to emulate that. Donnie goes the other way. He's a total chameleon when it comes to choreography. In this film, he blends wirework and some solid cinematography into a Wing Chun homage. Donnie acts with his body better than with his face. He even adopts the head-forward stoop that Ip Man has in photos (not sure if that was a product of age or his practice). I felt the second part of the film got a bit too melodramatic, somewhat failing to deliver on the action-packed promise of the earlier scenes. But in the end, it was satisfactory.

Donnie is painfully cool as Ip Man. He's the ultimate martial hero in the true sense of wuxia. Wing Chun should be proud that their grandmaster was depicted in such a glorious light. Is Ip Man the new Wong Feihung? Perhaps.

The sets were magnificent in detail and the style really seemed to capture the period (although I can't imagine old China was quite so clean ever). Many of the scenes used different color washes, often sepia tones, while picking up certain colors and amplifying them through special effects. It was akin to that classic red jacket scene in Schindler's List, but it worked in this film to give the feeling of vintage hand-painted photos of the period. It got a little overdone in some parts for me, but it worked overall.

My favorite part was to see Shi Xingwu in a very different role than he's played before. He was Coolie in Kung Fu Hustle and a villain Flashpoint. He's also a former Shaolin monk from the Wushuguan who I met in 1995. It was good to see him play a good guy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just seen the film today and I was impressed. My favourite piece of action was when Ip Man takes out the 10 Japanese fighters.

Should help get the number of Wing Chun practitioners up this year

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    . Still, if you want to see authenticity of kung fu, you shouldn't be looking for it in the movies. Same goes for the story. This is not a documentary. It's highly fictionalized, like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It's entertainment, not history.

That being said, it was very entertaining. The first half of the film was well paced with lots of fun fights. What I like about Donnie is that he really adopts different styles in his films. If you look at Bruce, Jackie, Jet, or even Jaa now, they each have a signature style of fighting that's uniquely their own. You can see others trying to emulate that. Donnie goes the other way. He's a total chameleon when it comes to choreography. In this film, he blends wirework and some solid cinematography into a Wing Chun homage. Donnie acts with his body better than with his face. He even adopts the head-forward stoop that Ip Man has in photos (not sure if that was a product of age or his practice). I felt the second part of the film got a bit too melodramatic, somewhat failing to deliver on the action-packed promise of the earlier scenes. But in the end, it was satisfactory.

Donnie is painfully cool as Ip Man. He's the ultimate martial hero in the true sense of wuxia. Wing Chun should be proud that their grandmaster was depicted in such a glorious light. Is Ip Man the new Wong Feihung? Perhaps.
    Very well said Gene, especially the part about Donnie, he is such a superb MA that he can "sell" any system he puts his mind and body too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have to agree with Gene it was very entertaining.
    RAYNYSC

Quote Originally Posted by First Blood View Post
    Sadly it does seem like Yip chun was invited to add marketing rather than real credibility !
    Really?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEd3sPd2UvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=715PAhwbVj8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_Man_(film)
    Last edited by Shadow_warrior8; 01-08-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i mean its known that yip man did not start teaching till he was in hong kong and only did it to support his family, but in the movie they show him teaching some workers, also while i did hear he had ran into a problem with the japanese which caused him to flee fatshan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtky5gTTbs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbDAlKxmis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GLue5dZZIk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip_Man
    In Foshan, being a police officer, Yip Man didn't formally run a Wing Chun school, but taught to several subordinates, his friends and relatives. Amongst those informal students, Lok Yiu, Chow Kwong-yue (周光裕 (六仔)), Kwok Fu (郭富), Lun Kai (倫佳), Chan Chi-sun (陳志新) and Lui Ying (呂應) were the most well known. Chow Kwong-yue was said to be the best student among his group of pupils, but he eventually went into commerce and dropped out of martial arts all together. Kwok Fu and Lun Kai went on to teach students of their own and the Wing Chun in the Foshan and Guangdong area was mainly descended from those individuals. Chan Chi-sun died young, and Lui Ying went to Hong Kong; neither of them taking on any students.

During the Japanese occupation of China, Yip Man refused several invitations to train the Japanese troops. Instead, he went to Kwok Fu's village house.

After the war, he returned to Foshan to be a police officer again.

At the end of 1949, being a officer of the Kuomintang, he decided to escape to , when the Communists had come to Foshan.
    讲你不听,听你不明,明你不做,做你又做错,错你又不认,认你又不改,改你又不服,不服你又不讲;那你要我 怎么办?

dude by the dvd. support

For those of you who are in the new york erea you can pick up a copy in china town. the name & address of the store is NY Music 151 canal street ny 10002 Phone# (646) 6131754.
    RAYNYSC

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    dude by the dvd. support
    aherm...........

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.