Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Hybrid View

More on Rhys Iles

Martial arts thug...
    Monday 23 April 2012
    Six years for thug who left man with ‘catastrophic’ brain injuries
    By KARON KELLY
    Published on Saturday 21 April 2012 18:00

MARTIAL arts thug Rhys Iles is behind bars today after a sickening attack left his victim with “catastrophic” brain injuries.

Iles beat 49-year-old John Gibson so severely he can now only communicate using his thumb.

A court was told offshore worker Iles, 28, knocked Mr Gibson unconscious with a powerful blow before kneeling over him and raining a further four or five “sickening blows” on his defenceless victim.

It was initially feared Mr Gibson would not survive the brutal attack.

Iles, of George Scott Street, South Shields, had already pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm and was back at Newcastle Crown Court yesterday where he was jailed for six years.

The court heard how Mr Gibson got involved in a row when a group of women jumped into a taxi booked by him and his partner to take them home from the Roker Hotel, in Sunderland, last July.

A scuffle broke out that ended up with Iles, who was best man at a wedding party being held at the venue, getting involved.

Iles and Mr Gibson, who had a history of ill-feeling between them, ended up fighting.

But when Mr Gibson went to walk away Iles launched a further attack where witnesses describe him hurling “sickening” blows to Mr Gibson’s head.

The court was told former fisherman Mr Gibson will never fully recover and his condition is not expected to greatly improve.

He is still in hospital where he is fed through a tube directly into his stomach and needs a hoist to move and cannot even swallow.

Prosecutor Julian Smith told the court: “He has limited movement on the left side of his body, that includes the use of his thumb, and some ability to move his limbs but very weak.

“There is no movement to his limbs on the right. He has profound communication problems.

“Though it is difficult to asses, it is believed there is significant cognitive impairments.

“He will never be capable of living independently.”

Efforts are being made to teach Mr Gibson to use a touch pad computer to help with communication but it is a substantial and very long process.

The court was told the taxi row broke out in the early hours of the morning, which led to the fight between Mr Gibson and Iles.

Mr Gibson had started walking off up the road, though may have turned around and said something, when Iles went after him, knocking him to the ground with “a very powerful blow

Mr Smith said: “He was unconscious and made no effort to defend himself but Mr Iles approached him, knelt or crouched down beside him and punched him four to five times with clenched fists to his head.”

The court heard one witness described the punches as “sickening blows” while Mr Gibson lay defenceless.

Jailing him Judge John Milford told Iles: “The initial incident of violence between you was not serious and it was broken up and that could and should have been the end of it.

“Sadly it was not.

“The result was Mr Gibson has suffered what the consultant describes as severe brain injury.

“I prefer catastrophic.

“He is no longer capable of independent living, he has little powers of communication, he is still in hospital where he receives full time care and that looks to be, I’m sad to say, the future for him.”

The judge said he was constrained by government guidelines in determining the prison sentence.

He added: “No sentence that this court can pass will ever seem sufficient for the family.”

Robert Adams, defending, said: “He did not intend this level of injury, it was far in excess of what he ever contemplated.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Liam Hall

Martial arts expert back behind bars after knife attack on soldier
    4:22pm Tuesday 2nd October 2012 in News

A MAN jailed for killing another martial arts expert at a party was back behind bars last night for a knife attack on a soldier.

Liam Hall, 24, clashed with 20-year-old squaddie Paul Gray at a house in Chilton, County Durham, late on May 14 this year.

The confrontation almost led to Mr Gray losing a thumb and left him fearing for his future in the army, a court heard yesterday.

Hall, of Honister Place, in nearby Newton Aycliffe, was jailed for 21 months after he admitted a charge of unlawful wounding.

Teesside Crown Court heard that he got two-and-a-half years in 2010 for the manslaughter of Neil Jones the previous year.

Mr Jones was punched in the head and kicked as he was falling to the floor, where he remained unconscious and later died.

Hall was said to have been sober when he arrived the house where others had been drinking vodka and smoking cannabis.

The argument is said to have been started over missing drugs, and cage-fighter Hall reacted “instinctively” by lashing out.

He later told police: "What I am training for is to knock people out, to get on top of them and to smash people's heads in."

The court heard that both men had martial arts backgrounds, and Judge Peter Fox, QC, said he was concerned about the training methods.

Yesterday, the court heard how Hall confronted Mr Gray at the house he was looking after in Raby Terrace, Chilton.

The victim is said to have gone there looking for the householder, but Hall's barrister, Christopher Morrison, said he was uninvited.

It was agreed that the attacker had a wrong “drunken perception” of danger after “getting wrecked” on drink and drugs.

Mr Gray suffered two small cuts to his left hand and two deep ones to his right hand – one which severed the tendons in his thumb.

In a statement, he said he had suffered nightmares and had – now unfounded – fears he would not be able to serve in Afghanistan.

Judge Tony Briggs told Hall: “You might well have ended up facing a more serious charge than the one you admitted.

“Looking at your record, it is clear you have difficulty controlling your temper and that's made worse when you take a lot of drink and drugs.

“It is perfectly plain your perception was very much affected and when these matters are in combination, it can be highly dangerous.”
    Reacting '“instinctively” by lashing out' is not a martial arts reaction. Quite the opposite.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, when you don't "temper" the physical aspects of the MA with some disciple, there is no reason to doubt that people trained to fight will solve their problems by fighting.
    Compound that issue with drugs and, well, no good can come of it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Tru dat

But what if you temper them with drugs? Chemical castration, man, it's cheaper than rehab.

Just kidding.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    But what if you temper them with drugs? Chemical castration, man, it's cheaper than rehab.

Just kidding.
    Who am I to judge?
    LOL !

There was a time when MA teachers believed they SHOULD have an obligation to train "good people".
    Sure that wasn't always the case and many systems became renown because practitioners were NOT nice people and that is why a certain ethic was attempted.
    While I agree that the MA school is NOT the place for morals to be instilled, that falls on the parents, it is however a place where proper ethics and disciplined should be enforced.

Given the world today...

...I feel everywhere is the place for morals to be instilled. However, I also believe, and this is the rub, that the best way to instill morals is to live by example.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I feel everywhere is the place for morals to be instilled. However, I also believe, and this is the rub, that the best way to instill morals is to live by example.
    True dat.
    Be the change you want to see happen.

I must state an observation though:
    Every MA that was a great fighter, that I knew of course, was also an ass.
    Every MA that was a "Miyagi type", were, at best, "OK".
    I knew a couple that were both but that was because they HAD been asses when younger and good fighters and mellowed out with age and become great teachers.