Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Any profession that works with children is a risk

What makes the martial arts more of a risk is that it is largely unregulated in the U.S. This means anyone can open a school. There are no background checks, no school licenses, nothing of that sort. Most other after-school activities have some requirements in place for anyone working with kids. But most martial arts schools just make up their own programs, often having their senior students serve as child-class instructors. Those students usually have no training beyond the curriculum of the school.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    What makes the martial arts more of a risk is that it is largely unregulated in the U.S. This means anyone can open a school. There are no background checks, no school licenses, nothing of that sort. Most other after-school activities have some requirements in place for anyone working with kids. But most martial arts schools just make up their own programs, often having their senior students serve as child-class instructors. Those students usually have no training beyond the curriculum of the school.
    Very true, and we should change that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Yeah. You would hope that parents put in the time to see who's watching their kids in any situation, accredited or not. I feel the same way about the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Yeah. You would hope that parents put in the time to see who's watching their kids in any situation, accredited or not. I feel the same way about the church.
    The biggest issue with child abuse is that the vast majority is from parents or family members.
    In the case of "others", the highest rates aren't even priests BUT I think that the fact of WHO they are makes it all the worse.

Remember stranger danger in elementary school?

The thing about the priests is that if you are a believer, then you see them as a moral authority. That has to bite.

The truth of it is that some people are simply better judges of character than others. But it's hard to truly know what is in another persons mind. I'm sure we all know people who are douchebags in disguise. Scary if you're a parent. Even the most diligent and intelligent parents can have children that are victims to this or that. The closest thing to a guarantee is to have at least one parent be there at all times. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be surprised by a spouse abusing their own child though. Creepy shit, man. Be diligent and hope for the best, I suppose.

Speaking of MMA & sex predators

Great Falls: Prosecutors seek to drop charge against martial arts coach
    August 13, 2014 11:00 am • Associated Press

GREAT FALLS — Prosecutors are seeking to drop a statutory rape charge against a Great Falls mixed martial arts coach after two juries failed to reach verdicts in the case.

Department of Justice spokesman John Barnes said the decision was made after consulting with the victim's family, who have been through two emotional jury trials.

Prosecutors accused 37-year-old Glen Cislo of having sex with a 15-year-old girl he coached after giving her alcohol and taking her to a mixed martial arts fight in 2012.

Cislo and attorney Meghan Sutton admitted he gave the girl alcohol but denied having sex with her.

Trials in January and June both ended with gridlocked juries.

Sutton says she would have liked to see her client vindicated, but a mistrial "is a distant second best."
    37-year-old dude gives a 15-year-old girl alcohol.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

50 person fight

I'm just imagining some dude there yelling "MMA doesn't work against multiple opponents!!"

MEDFORD
    Saturday riot lands 7 in jail
    Brawl broke out at MMA event at Harry & David baseball field
    By Teresa Thomas
    Mail Tribune
    Posted Sep. 7, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

Seven people were arrested on riot and other charges late Saturday after a brawl involving more than 50 people broke out during a cage fighting event at the Harry & David baseball fields.

Sgt. Tom Ianieri of Medford police said the fight started after 15 to 20 fans began “mouthing off” toward the end of the Return of the Warriors, a Mixed Martial Arts event hosted by Rogue Fights Inc.

The fight escalated and spilled out into the parking lot, Ianieri said.

“When people tried to break it up, they started going after them, and it ended up being a big old brawl,” he said.

Ianieri said there was lots of kicking and punching, and at least one CYA Security guard was assaulted.

Police stationed at the event called for backup, and about 20 officers responded, including Medford police, Central Point police, Phoenix police, Oregon State Police and Jackson County Sheriff’s deputies.

“They called for the cavalry, and the cavalry came,” Ianieri said, adding that it took officers about 20 minutes to get control of the situation.

No serious injuries were reported, and alcohol was involved, Ianieri said.

Arrested were John Robert Bowling, 31; Daniel Lee Bowling, 29; Christina Ricci, 21; Derek Scott Mendez, 24; Matthew Chalon Miller, 51; Jacob Patrick Miller, 24; and one juvenile.

The six adults arrested were lodged in the Jackson County Jail and have since been released.

Calls to CYA Security and Rogue Fights Inc. Sunday afternoon were not immediately returned.

A message on Rogue Fights' Facebook page read: "The fights last night were fantastic and it was great to see the local support for MMA! What really is terrible that some 'fans' thinking fighting is okay outside of the cage. We at Rogue Fights don't support this kind of dangerous behavior and hope that the amazing fans who brought such a great energy to the event had a great time last night."

Reach reporter Teresa Thomas at 541-776-4497 or tthomas@mailtribune.com. Follow her at www.twitter.com/teresathomas_mt.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaun McNeil

one punch.

Man accused of 'one-punch' death of Daniel Christie to stand trial for murder
    November 4, 2014
    Paul Bibby Court Reporter

Killed: Daniel Christie. Photo: Facebook

The father of a Sydney youth who was allegedly murdered in a one-punch attack in Kings Cross last year has called on the government to widen its crackdown on alcohol-related violence, after the man accused of killing his son was committed to stand trial for murder.

Daniel Christie, 18, was killed in Kings Cross last New Year's Eve when self-described mixed martial arts fighter Shaun McNeil, 25, allegedly delivered a savage blow to his head, sending him crashing to the footpath.

During a brief committal hearing on Tuesday, Central Local Court heard that Daniel may have been attacked by Mr McNeil when he tried to intervene to protect three teenagers.

Accused: Shaun McNeil. Photo: Supplied

One of the three teenagers, who cannot be named, told the court that he had approached Mr McNeil and asked whether he wanted to buy any of the ecstasy tablets or cocaine capsules the youths had in their possession.

The youth said that Mr McNeil had demanded they hand over the drugs because "I'm a MMA [mixed martial arts] fighter".

"Then he just started cutting sick, throwing punches," the teenager told the court.

He said Mr McNeil had punched him and one of his mates in the face and then made to follow them as they tried to leave.

"Suddenly these two guys come out of nowhere and one of them goes 'what are you picking on little kids for?'," the teenager continued.

"And then the man just hits him and – smack! – the guy hits the ground. I never seen anything like it."

It is understood the two men who approached Mr McNeil were Daniel Christie and his brother Peter.

The teenager who gave the evidence also admitted that he had smoked a large amount of cannabis before the incident and had been "smashed".

Another of the teenage trio said he had also been affected by cannabis as well as the drug "ice".

After the teenagers gave their evidence, Mr McNeil waived his right to continue the committal hearing, with the consent of the Crown.

Magistrate John Andrews committed Mr McNeil to the NSW Supreme Court to face trial for murder next year.

Speaking outside court, Daniel Christie's father Michael called on the state government to increase the licensing restrictions on venues in the CBD to the rest of NSW.

"How many more deaths do we need of this sort of useless violence?" Mr Christie said.

"Kings Cross is changing, people are having much nicer lifestyles and behaving in a much better way," Mr Christie said.

"We need to keep these [restrictions] going and extend them further. We as mature adults need to do something to contain it [the violence].

"Don't let this young man, my son's death, mean nothing."

Mr McNeil will return to court this month for arraignment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

The MMA fighter wasn't busted. He was the target. I heard about this case on the news last night but didn't learn the martial connection until this morning. There are a lot of pix, but I only C&Ped a few.
    Martial arts fighter 'was intended target of a hitman' as murder plot charges against AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd are dropped

International martial arts fighter Anthony Netzler was allegedly on Phil Rudd's hit list before charges were dropped
    The 46-year-old is now embroiled in the New Zealand legal drama
    Alleged hitman says AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd was in a dispute with 'working girls'
    The man said Rudd was still a 'good fella' with a 'big heart '
    Rudd was charged with attempting to procure a murder, threatening to kill and drugs charges
    The procure a murder charges were dropped but he must still face court over drug matters
    20-year-old was released on bail to reappear in court on November 27

By Sarah Carty and Leesa Smith and Daniel Piotrowski for Daily Mail Australia and Australian Associated Press

Published: 10:06 EST, 7 November 2014 | Updated: 11:21 EST, 7 November 2014

An international martial arts fighter was allegedly one of two intended targets of a hitman allegedly hired by AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd.

According to The Daily Telegraph, 46-year-old Anthony Netzler was allegedly threatened by Rudd in September and is now a part of the New Zealand legal drama.

Netzler is a well know MMA champion in his home country of New Zealand and Rudd is also a keen MMA fan and Tauranga boxing supporter.

Scroll down for video

An international martial arts fighter was allegedly one of two intended victims who appeared on AC/DC musician Phil Rudd's hit list

It is understood Netzler met Rudd when he returned to New Zealand following years spent refining his art overseas.

It was alleged that Rudd hired a hit-man to take down two men.

Speaking to the newspaper, Netzler's cousin said Rudd had picked the wrong man to mess with.

It is understood Netzler met Rudd when he returned to New Zealand following years spent refining his art overseas

'I wouldn't muck around with him at all because he'd have your lights out before you could blink,' he said.

Another man who has previously confirmed to the newspaper that he was the intended victim told them that he was a former employee of Rudd's, but refused to elaborate any further.

Earlier on Friday, Tauranga Crown Solicitor confirmed that the procure a murder charge against Rudd had been dropped.

Rudd's lawyer Paul Mabey QC said Crown Solicitor Greg Hollister-Jones had made his decision because there was insufficient evidence to justify the charge.

In a press release, his lawyer defended his client, stating that the claims should never have been laid.

Anthony Netzler is a well know MMA champion in his home country New Zealand and Rudd is also a keen MMA fan and Tauranga boxing supporter

It was alleged that Phil Rudd hired a hit-man to take down two men including New Zealand martial arts fighter Anthony Netzler

'The charge alleging an attempt to procure murder should never have been laid. The Crown Solicitor's opinion was not sought. The charge is now withdrawn - within 24 hours of Mr Rudd's first appearance in Court,' he said.

'Mr Rudd has suffered unnecessary and extremely damaging publicity as a result of widespread and sensational reporting of a very serious allegation, which on any basis was never justified,'

Phil Rudd appeared outside his Tauranga house and swore at the media as the news broke that he had been charged with threatening to kill and possession of methamphetamine and cannabis

'The damage to Mr Rudd is incalculable. Questions arise as to the degree of care taken by those responsible for arresting and charging him with Attempting to Procure Murder,'

'Citizens are entitled to a responsible exercise of the power to charge which, as is proved here, can give rise to potentially irreversible damage if that power is not exercised responsibly,'

'Mr Rudd is considering any possible remedies he may have,' he finished.

On Thursday, the 60-year-old musician was charged and appeared in court following a police raid on his North Island home in New Zealand.

AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pictured stepping out of a police car without shoes on Thursday

Rudd's lawyer Paul Mabey QC said Crown Solicitor Greg Hollister-Jones had withdrawn the 'attemping to procure murder' charge because there was insufficient evidence
    AC/DC Drummer taken into custody by New Zealand police

If he had been found guilty of threatening to kill, Rudd could have faced a maximum seven-year prison sentence, The New Zealand Herald reported.

He will reappear in court on November 27.

Earlier, the man allegedly hired as a hitman by Rudd said he was asked to become his bodyguard after the rocker said he was threatened for not paying 'working girls'.

The alleged hitman, whose name has been suppressed, told The Sydney Morning Herald in an exclusive interview, that Rudd was the 'Hugh Hefner of Tauranga' claiming that the amount he spent on 'company is like someone's yearly wage'.

The man told Fairfax Media: 'The girls that he gets, working girls and that, they're p***ed off, he tells them "Nah I'm not paying you" and then the partners come and say they want their money.'

The Daily Telegraph reported that the man went on fishing and helicopter trips with Rudd who also allowed him to drive his flashy sports cars.

He added that although Rudd was burning his bridges with those 'who care about him' he was still a 'good fella' with a 'big heart'.

'You’ve got to feel sorry for him – just the expectations everyone has of him,' he said.

When Daily Mail Australia contacted the band's ex-manager, Michael Browning, he had only just heard the news and said it was a 'bit of a shock, but there you go'.

A statement on the band's website said: 'We've only become aware of Phil's arrest as the news was breaking.

'We have no further comment. Phil’s absence will not affect the release of our new album Rock or Bust and upcoming tour next year.'

The ageing rocker was silent during a brief, shoeless appearance in Tauranga District Court that afternoon and has been released on bail until his next appearance on November 27.

According to court documents, Rudd is accused of attempting to hire one person to kill two others between September 25 and September 26.

He is also accused of threatening to kill a complainant on September 26.

Details of the complaints and the names of the alleged intended targets and hitman were suppressed by Judge Louis Bidois.

At the request of defence lawyer Tony Rickard-Simms, Rudd was remanded on bail until November 27 when he will reappear in court.

His bail conditions include that he lives at his Bureta home on the North Island and not contact any of the complainants.

Biographer Jesse Fink, author of the new book, The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC, said he was 'stunned, absolutely stunned'.

Mr Fink told Daily Mail Australia Rudd had 'deteriorated' in recent years.

'You go back and you see photos of Phil from the '70s, he's a beautiful man, a very handsome man.

'To see someone deteriorate as much as he has is quite alarming.'

The Australian-born drummer has lived in Tauranga for a number of years.

He first moved to New Zealand in 1983 after being sacked by the band, but hooked up with the band again in 1994.

Rudd was noticeably absent from some promotional material and photographs for AC/DC's 16th studio album, Rock or Bust, which will be released in Australia on November 28.

His absence sparked rumours among fans that something was going on.

'I don't think AC/DC did themselves a great service by not saying anything,' Mr Fink said.

'All they did was just fuel the rumour mill, which has been churning for some time now.

In 2011, he opened a restaurant there, Phil's Place, which The New Zealand Herald described as 'upmarket'.

Rudd also released a solo album, Head Job, in September.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Poached War Machine topics from this thread.

War Machine news is now here. As I said above, I might do the same for Bones someday. We'll see how that story develops.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Very sad to read that there are so many criminal martial artists.

Vito C. Resto

Strapped to a cross? Maybe this should have been posted in our Martial-Arts-&-Religion thread.

Defendant in Springfield 'crucifixion' case is mixed martial artist with lengthy arrest record
    By Jack Flynn | jflynn@repub.com
    on January 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM

SPRINGFIELD - A mixed martial artist charged with strapping two men to a makeshift cross and beating them has an image of Christ tattooed on one shoulder and The Grim Reaper on the other, court records show.

Vito C. Resto

Vito C. Resto, 36, of Springfield, is being held at the Hampden County House of Correction under a judge's ruling that he is too dangerous to be released on bail.

After hearing testimony from police and witnesses, Judge William Hadley wrote that Resto "hung individuals on a cross and beat them as punishment for misdeeds in drug trade."

During his arraignment, the defendant pleaded not guilty to kidnapping, assault and battery, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

As bizarre as the new charges sound, this is not Resto's first high-profile case. In 2004, he was charged and later acquitted in a rush hour shoot out at an intersection just off Interstate 91.

Still, the alleged crucifixions have brought a different kind of attention to Resto, an accomplished mixed martial artist with an extensive criminal record.

At 6 feet, 2 inches and 250 pounds, Resto was ranked among New England's top fighters in the amateur heavyweight division in 2014. Fighting under the name Vito Corleone Resto, he won his only two fights last year, according to the Massachusetts Mixed Martial Arts website.

The Hartford native has a mixed record in the criminal justice system, picking up convictions on drug and firearms charges but avoiding long, minimum-mandatory prison sentences for repeat offenders.

In his most recent case, Resto was charged with assaulting a woman at a downtown club in 2013. But the case was dropped after the victim - an ex-girlfriend, mother of his two children and co-defendant in a 2009 drug case - decided not to testify against him.

In the arrest report, Resto was described as a salesman at Cabo's Fashion and Footwear on Liberty Street; among his five tattoos are images of Christ on his right shoulder and The Grim Reaper on his left, the report said.

Following his arrest, Resto was released on $500 bail. A trial was scheduled for Feb. 24, 2014, but cancelled after the alleged victim did not appear. His bail
    was refunded the next day, records show.

The latest charges came after a witness called state police on Dec. 3 to report a man had been strapped to a wooden cross and was being beaten by several men behind 53 Orchard St. in the city's Riverview section, the records show.

The beating lasted about eight minutes and left the victim injured and bleeding, the witness said.

Springfield police recovered the cross, made with a 4 by 4 board crossed with 2 x 4, and state police located the alleged victim. The man, identified as Victim 1 in court documents, said Resto had strapped him to the cross.

Investigators identified a second victim several days later. No other suspects have been charged, but the investigation is continuing, police said.

Before the alleged crucifixions, Resto's most publicized arrest involved a rush hour shootout on East Columbus Avenue in 2004.

Witnesses identified Resto, then 26, as the driver of one of two vehicles involved in a gun battle at a busy intersection close to Interstate 91. At trial, the judge ruled the prosecution had not proven its case against Resto, and dismissed the charges before sending the case to the jury.

Two other defendants were convicted and given state prison sentences.

While awaiting trial for the shootout, Resto was charged in a federal firearms case that carried a potential 15-year mandatory sentence.

In April, 2005, he pleaded innocent to an eight-count indictment in U.S. District Court for being a felon in possession of a handgun while under indictment for other felony charges.

A year later, he pleaded guilty to three charges, but avoided the 15-year term given to career offenders. Instead, Judge Michael A. Ponsor ordered him to serve one year in prison and one year of home detention, followed by three years of supervised release.

From the start, the case was marked by wrangling over terms of Resto's bail and supervised release, which included travel restrictions, electronic monitoring and a curfew; the judge, for example, allowed Resto to attend his daughter's birthday party, but not to travel to Puerto Rico for his grandfather's funeral, or to play in a touch football league.

More than a dozen similar requests were submitted by his lawyer, Mark G. Mastroianni, now the presiding judge in U.S. District Court in Springfield.

After refusing to let Resto celebrate July 4 with his family, Ponsor said it would amount to "special treatment (that) would be unfair to other persons under supervision and would set an unmanageable precedent."

Responding to Mastroianni's contention that his client was being treated unfairly, a probation official wrote that Resto had received lenient treatment and yet continued to violate the terms of his release.

"Rehabilitation cannot be measured by non-compliance," he wrote.

The wrangling continued into 2012, nearly six years after Resto's guilty plea; by then, Ponsor had assumed semi-retired status and left the case; Mastroianni had been elected Hampden District Attorney, and Resto had been indicted and taken into state custody for participating in what state and federal officials described as a 100-kilo-per-year cocaine and marijuana ring.

The federal firearms case finally wrapped up in January, 2012 with Resto admitting to three probation violations.

For punishment, Judge Rya Zobel gave him a one-day sentence.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Poached the Jon Jones posts on this thread

Moved them to an existing thread I cobbled out of other existing threads - it's here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dave Herman

VIDEO: MMA Fighter Is Unnecessarily Tased By Cops

Jake O'Donnell
    1:24 pm, January 21st, 2015

Whoa, Dave Herman, nice 22-6 record but bad timing last week, right? (A gas station at night.) Or maybe wrong question? (“Please show me three forms of I.D. to prove you’re a police officer.”) Or maybe just bad luck? (Karma.) Whatever it was, you done went and got yourself a-tased. (Probably not your fault, though.)

Herman and his wife claim to have been having car troubles while driving through Dekalb County, Indiana, with their infant child in the car. The police who made the arrest reported that he was speeding with his lights off. Upon pulling over, Herman then got out of the car (as you can clearly see in the video, narrated by his wife) and politely asked the officers for three forms of identification to prove they were, in fact, actual police officers.

A douchey move no doubt, but these people claim it’s required of law enforcement. That sounds kind of nuts but ok, we’ll take their word for it.

The officers then tasered the **** out him while his wife filmed the entire thing. This was how the police report described it.

[BR] David exited his vehicle and approached Officers in an aggressive manner. David was given multiple warnings to get on the ground and failed to comply. David had to be tased in order to be taken into custody. An infant and adult female were also present in the vehicle.

According to Bleacher Report, Herman was arrested for “resisting law enforcement with a vehicle, battery against law enforcement and neglect of a dependant, all felonies, and a resisting law enforcement misdemeanor, according to the police report.”

You tell us if that sounds appropriate given the content of the video below.

Just or unjust tasing? You make the call.

And just out of curiosity, who here has been tased? I have.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They were UNIFORMED COPS in a cop car...
    Seriously.