Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    You'd think if MMA teaches anything of social value, it would be making weight.
    Losing too many students to the big bad MMA wolf now are we?

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    Losing too many students to the big bad MMA wolf now are we?
    Oi to the vey.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Wow

This reminds me of Game of Death, for all the wrong reasons.
    Promoters: MMA fighter faked own death
    2:21a.m. EDT March 23, 2013

Story Highlights

Charles Rowan appeared in a Michigan courtroom after claims his girlfriend told others he died
    An MMA promoter said he recognized Rowan's mug shot on television
    Promoters helped raise $1,350 to help pay for funeral.

DETROIT -- Mixed martial arts promoters Christos Piliafas and Scott DiPonio were shocked to learn that one of their fighters was a suspect in the holdup of a Michigan gun shop this week.

After all, it was only two weeks ago that they raised more than $1,000 to help the amateur heavyweight's family pay for his funeral.

Charles Rowan, 25, didn't die in a February car wreck while en route to his fifth bout, as his girlfriend, Rosalinda Martinez, claimed that night, according to DiPonio. The couple and a friend, Michael Bowman, were in a Gladwin courtroom Friday to hear the charges against them: armed robbery and assault with intent to murder. Each requested a court-appointed attorney.

DiPonio, who owns the Diamond D fight team, said he realized they had been duped when he saw Rowan's mug shot on television identifying him as a person of interest in the Monday robbery of Guns and Stuff in Sage Township, about 100 miles southeast of Traverse City. The store's owner, Richard Robinette, was severely beaten and remained in serious but stable condition Friday in a Flint hospital.

"I almost passed out. It was literally that bad. My girlfriend looked at me and immediately just started crying," DiPonio said. "I was in disbelief. ... It took me literally an hour until I could actually focus and think again. It was just unbelievable."

Piliafas, who fights professionally as "The Mad Greek" in addition to running promotional company Caged Aggression, said he had just returned from a bout in Poland when an associate texted him a link to the mug shot.

"It made me sick to my stomach. I was furious. I was livid," he said. "It's not so much about the money. It's just how many people were involved in this scam. ... The little bit that I knew [about] this kid, I never would have thought that he'd try to pull some Machiavelli crap like that."

DiPonio said Rowan approached him at a show a year and a half ago and said he'd like to give MMA a shot. The results were mixed -- the 200-plus-pound heavyweight recorded a 1-3 record as an amateur -- but DiPonio said his work ethic and attitude were strong.

"He actually has my Diamond D MMA logo on his arm. He's even branded," DiPonio said. "It's only for a few guys that I allow to do that. That's a pretty big deal. That's why [the hoax] is just so devastating."

Rowan's fifth career fight was scheduled for February in Traverse City. That night, DiPonio said, Martinez called from Rowan's phone number to tell him that her boyfriend had been involved in a fatal car wreck on the way to the event.

A distraught DiPonio and his girlfriend hopped in their car the next day and made the lengthy trek to Gladwin, where they were met by "young kids and grandparents crying."

"I thought for sure Charlie was dead. I mean, these people were hysterically crying," said DiPonio, who gave the family $150 for expenses on the spot.

Two weeks ago, Piliafas and DiPonio helped raise $1,350 in proceeds and donations through their benefit event, Fight for Charlie.

A tearful Bowman showed up to collect the money.

"[He] came and looked me right in the eyes and took the cash and cried and came to my house and stayed the night," DiPonio said.

Rowan, Martinez and Bowman were arraigned Friday in Gladwin District Court. They are scheduled to appear in court again April 1 and remain in the county jail, having not posted bond.

According to Gladwin County Sheriff Michael Shea, Martinez called 911 after the robbery and told investigators that she, too, had been attacked. But he said her story didn't hold up and she, Rowan and Bowman were arrested.

Rowan has past convictions for failing to register as a sex offender and the attempted delivery and manufacture of marijuana. The Michigan Department of Corrections considers him a probation absconder.

Meanwhile, Piliafas and DiPonio are planning to file a fraud claim against Rowan with the Grand Traverse County sheriff's office.

"I want to press charges to the fullest extent," Piliafas said. "For them to do that, just makes me sick."

Looking back, Piliafas said that even though some initially questioned Rowan's death, not much could be done about those concerns.

"I had people saying this was a little bit fishy. There was no obit. There was no funeral service. But in that situation, you want to be sensitive to the family," he said. "I didn't know exactly how to handle it. I didn't want to go off and say, 'We're not doing this. Something's not right,' and then have the incident having really happened."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Busted ref

Ref Rosenthal facing jail after drug bust
    ESPN staff
    April 17, 2013 « Westfield set to meet ECB

MMA referee Josh Rosenthal faces the prospect of a prison sentence after pleading guilty to conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana and possession with intent to distribute.

According to MMA Junkie, a Rosenthal-owned warehouse containing 1,356 marijuana plants was raided a year ago. The value was estimated at over $6 million.

Rosenthal has been absent from the MMA circuit for a while, previously blaming a staph infection. However, he will appear at a US District Court on May 17.

Rosenthal agreed to a plea deal in January, saving him from the prospect of 10 years in prison as well as a $10 million fine. Instead, the government is recommending three years behind bars plus a fine and probation.

The referee has officiated in some of the most high profile bouts in MMA, including the Brock Lesnar v Shane Carwin heavyweight title bout at UFC 116, when he allowed Lesnar to fight back from heavy adversity to submit Carwin in the second round.
    Ouch. That sucks for UFC.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

subhuman

This sounds disturbingly like what Tamerlan Tsarnaev's former trainer Mark Massey said.
    “He’s not the guy I used to know,” Massey said.
    Serrano said, “it’s not the Jaren we know.”

Makes me start to wonder if these coaches know their fighters at all.

Jaren Kuester has history of violence, was training in mixed martial arts
    6 hours ago • SANDY CULLEN | Wisconsin State Journal | scullen@madison.com | 608-252-6137

Jaren Michael Kuester

The man tentatively charged with killing three people in Lafayette County last weekend has a history of mental health problems and violent behavior that a judge characterized as “subhuman,” court records show.

Jaren M. Kuester, 31, recently resumed training to become a professional mixed martial arts fighter at a Milwaukee combat sports gym, said owner Adrian Serrano, who described him as “a good guy” and “talented athlete.”

If Kuester is responsible for the killings, Serrano said, “it’s not the Jaren we know.”

He said Kuester — who came from a supportive family and worked as a laborer doing jobs such as roofing and tiling — “wasn’t any more aggressive” than anyone else involved in the sport, which blends wrestling, kick boxing, judo and other martial arts.

According to Waukesha County Circuit Court records, Kuester had a history of violence as a teenager that was linked to mental illness.

In 2001, Kuester attacked another teen with a billy club, causing substantial injury. At the time of that attack, Kuester, who was skilled in wrestling and football, was on probation for assaulting his father, whom Kuester picked up and threw onto a coffee table, breaking it, records state.

At Kuester’s sentencing for the billy club attack, his attorney said Kuester was diagnosed with major depression and put on the drug Prozac when he was in ninth grade. Kuester also began taking Ritalin after he was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder in seventh grade, according to a hearing transcript.

After graduating from high school, Kuester stopped taking his medications because they were no longer covered by his parents’ health insurance, his attorney, Matthew Huppertz, told the judge.

James Kuester, Jaren’s father, told Waukesha police that in November 2000, he was trying to talk with Kuester about an incident that occurred between Kuester and a younger brother at school. He said Kuester became uncontrollable and tackled him when he tried to call police, according to a criminal complaint. A week earlier, Kuester had trashed the house, damaging walls and breaking doors, his father said.

In November 2001, Kuester and three others, including his then 17-year-old brother, Jacob, attacked another 17-year-old boy who fought with Jacob at school. According to a criminal complaint, Kuester hit the teen in the side of the head with a billy club, knocking him to the ground, where he was kicked and punched repeatedly.

“It’s bad enough to have a situation where there’s four on one, it’s bad enough where someone is attacked and is on the ground, but this viciousness and what I will describe as this cowardness of kicking someone when they’re already down is something that is subhuman,” Judge Patrick Haughney said in sentencing Kuester, who was ordered to continue taking psychotropic medication as a condition of his probation.

“I’m changing my life and getting back on track,” Kuester told the judge. “I got help starting back on my medications and am looking forward to going back to school to study to be either a personal trainer or a firefighter. I look forward to moving on and bettering myself and my future. I know ... I will reach the goals I have set for myself and be a productive member of society.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

7 hours

almost a full work day...
    Mixed Martial Artist Charged with Assaulting Woman for 7 Hours
    Police say Matthew Lambert bit, strangled, slapped and kicked the victim repeatedly, causing her to nearly lose consciousness.
    By Marc Fortier Email the author May 16, 2013

A Derry man trained in mixed martial arts was arrested Thursday and charged with assaulting a woman over a 7-hour period earlier this week.

Matthew Lambert, 39, of 16 Central St., Apt. #1, Derry is charged with three counts of second degree assault and four counts of simple assault.

Derry Police said they received a report Tuesday of a domestic related assault that occurred on May 12 at 16 Central St. Officers met with the female victim, who was being treated for multiple injuries at Parkland Medical Center in Derry.

The victim said that on May 12, around 9 p.m., she and Lambert were arguing when he allegedly began to assault her. She stated that the assault continued for the next seven hours, during which time Lambert strangled her on at least two occasions, bit her, slapped her and kicked her repeatedly. She also said that Lambert, who has mixed martial arts training, placed her into a submission hold at one point, causing her to nearly lose consciousness.

Investigating officers observed marks and bruises all over the victim's body, consistent with her description of the assaults.

At 9:15 a.m. Thursday, Derry Police arrested Lambert on a warrant. He was arraigned in Derry District Court today and bail was set at $10,000. He was transferred to the custody of the Rockingham County Jail and is scheduled to return to Derry District Court on May 23 for a probable cause hearing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MMA friend of Tsarnaev killed by FBI

"The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

The Tsarnaev martial connection makes me sick

And now for something completely different...

Martial artist sues South Street store over ***** gel
    BY DANA DiFILIPPO, Daily News Staff Writer difilid@phillynews.com, 215-854-5934
    Posted: May 22, 2013

ONLINE ADS SAY the tingling, minty, green gel makes lovemaking last longer. "Prolongs Men's Pleasure," the packaging promises, beneath a photo of a handsome man staring seductively at prospective buyers.

But a famous fighter says the Kama Sutra Pleasure Balm Prolonging Gel was far from pleasurable, and instead burned and scarred his genitals so badly last fall that he remains permanently disfigured and dysfunctional.

Michael Waylon Lowe, 32, of Southwest Center City, a mixed-martial-artist who competes internationally, has sued the South Street sex shop where he says he bought the gel, and the product's California-based creator, seeking more than $50,000 in damages, according to a lawsuit filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court.

"This is a very private, but very significant loss for a man who is very vital in so many other aspects," said Lowe's attorney, Thomas R. Kline. "This is a man who literally makes his living avoiding injury; he knows how to protect himself. Yet he wasn't provided with the most basic, simple instructions to protect himself from this product. If it could happen to him, it could happen to anyone."

Lowe, a Tennessee native, is 14-4 in his professional mixed-martial-arts career in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Pro Elite and other circuits since 2006. He also earned several national collegiate wrestling titles and trained at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado, according to online biographies.

Marla Lee, president of the Kama Sutra Co. and Kamsut Inc., which make and market the gel, called Lowe's claims "flabbergasting." The gel is one of the 44-year-old company's original and most popular products, with more than 1 million units sold, Lee said.

"This product has been offered for over 40 years without incident of any kind, so it's a bit confusing that he would have this kind of response to it," Lee said. "The active ingredient [benzocaine] is quite common. It's used in children's teething products, so it's probably pretty safe if it's used for children."

Stuart Schlaffman, owner of The Mood shop, on South Street near 6th, where Lowe got the allegedly toxic tube of passion-prolonger, said employees have removed the product from shelves since being served with the lawsuit Monday.

"We really strive to carry good, legitimate products," Schlaffman said. "We don't want to sell something that's damaging to someone. My first concern is for him as a person."

In the complaint, filed May 14, Lowe claims he had used the desensitizing gel previously without problem. And when he applied it last Sept. 1, he and his fiancée began lovemaking without incident. But when their 3-year-old daughter awoke, the fiancée interrupted their intercourse to attend to her, according to the lawsuit.

Before she returned, Lowe "began to experience excruciating pain and pressure in his *****," the lawsuit states. "He removed the condom and his ***** swelled significantly. He sought emergency medical treatment and follow-up care thereafter."

The complaint accuses the defendants of negligence and product liability for failing to provide proper instructions, warn users of risks, and design and test the gel to ensure its safety.

It claims that Lowe suffered "catastrophic and permanent damage," including penile scarring, loss of sensation and function; nerve and tissue damage; humiliation, embarrassment and mental anguish; lost wages and earning capacity; and loss of life's pleasures.

"He sustained a very significant injury which was life-changing," Kline said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT...

It's a busted gym, not a fighter or fight.

Didn't see this one coming.

8-liner found running out of martial arts gym
    by Daisy Barrera
    Posted: 06.26.2013 at 6:08 PM

The crackdown on 8-liners continues in Cameron County.

Authorities made a surprise visit to a Brownsville arcade with a fake storefront.

On the outside it is advertised as a mixed martial arts gym, but on the inside investigators found plenty of illegal activity going.

Yesterday they confiscated 50 gambling machines and 20 people were cited for gambling.

Surrounding business owners said the former mixed martial arts gym was always packed with customers, only they were not there for sport.

Cameron County District Attorney investigators continued Operation Bishop on Tuesday, as they raided the place located on the 1000 block of Mackintosh Drive.

According to investigators, the place was hot, smoky and poorly-ventilated.

District Attorney Luis Saenz said "the fact that this 8-liner establishment was operating in a building believed to be a karate business tells us that owners are doing everything they can to hide their illegal activity."

He adds investigators have confirmed 8-liner businesses have set up shop inside homes and hotels in Brownsville, Harlingen and South Padre Island.

The 20 people found gambling were cited and they could face a fine of up to $200.

The District Attorney warns, if a home is busted for harboring illegal 8-liners it will be forfeited.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller Charged With Attempted Burglary

Jason Mayhem Miller arrested Retired MMA middleweight Jason “Mayhem” Miller was arrested Sunday morning. A source within the Orange County Sheriff’s Department told MMAmania that Miller was arrested and charged with attempted burglary. He is being held at the Central Jail Complex in Santa Ana, California, on $50,000 bail. No other details have been released.

This isn’t Miller’s first run-in with the law. The 32-year-old was arrested last August after he was found completely naked in the Mission Hills Church in Mission Viejo, California. He was dressed in a paper suit for his mugshot. Police found the first and second floors of the church covered in fire extinguisher spray. Miller had also allegedly trashed the church, throwing around books and pictures. Police said he was awake and coherent when he was found on a couch on the second floor.

Miller was released on $20,000 bond, and the charges against him were dropped when the pastor, Brian Anderson, came forward in his defense. Prior to his arrest, Miller had been banned from the UFC over what president Dana White called “dumb bulls**t.” The ban was announced after Miller lost to C.B. Dollaway after showing up to the Octagon with a pink boombox and a boa around his neck. White said Miller’s antics weren’t his thing.

“If you want to be a clown, do that stuff on your reality show,” White said.

In 2012, Miller appeared on the MMA Hour. He began acting strangely, causing tension with host Ariel Helwani. He was promoting Here Comes The Boom and portrayed his character Lucky Patrick throughout the interview. He also made racially insensitive remarks and threw around several of Helwani’s action figures. When Helwani, a longtime friend of Miller, asked about his church arrest, “Patrick” stormed off the set.

Two weeks later, Jason Miller appeared on the MMA Hour again. He said his previous interview was a social experiment, and that he wanted to see whether the “MMA community would open its arms and support a fighter who appears to be going through mental health issues” or “rip him apart.” He said no one tried to support him, and that “They’d done the same thing to Evan Tanner, a troubled former UFC champion who died after a battle with alcoholism and mental health issues.” [Photo credit: Randy Stewart / Flickr]
    wait....isn't UFC a reality show?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another girlfriend beater

The 'high-five' is sickening both for the fighter and his friends.
    Former mixed martial arts fighter charged with beating girlfriend
    Crime » Man accused of high-fiving friends after punching her.
    By Erin Alberty | The Salt Lake Tribune
    First Published Sep 14 2013 08:51 am • Last Updated Sep 15 2013 08:48 pm

A former professional mixed martial arts fighter is accused of beating his girlfriend and then high-fiving his friends after knocking her to the ground.

In charges filed Friday, police wrote that Samuel Guynn, 33, got into an argument Sept. 7 with his girlfriend at her Cottonwood Heights home. The woman told police that Guynn smashed several items in her apartment and then began punching her in the head. Officers at the apartment found holes in the walls, broken pictures, a broken glass coffee table and broken mirrored closet doors, all worth more than $1,500, police wrote.

The woman went to her next door neighbors home until she saw Guynn taking items from her apartment, police wrote. When she approached him in the parking lot to ask for her house key, Guynn allegedly punched her in the side of the head, knocking her to the ground and causing her to become dizzy and sick to her stomach, police wrote.

A neighbor told police Guynn and his friends then began laughing and giving each other high fives "like it was funny," investigators wrote. The men fled when police arrived, according to court documents.

Guynn was charged with second-degree felony aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury and third-degree felony criminal mischief.

Guynn already was awaiting trial on accusations that he punched a man at a New Year’s Eve party this year in Salt Lake City, crushing the victim’s cheek bone and eye socket into 35 separate bone fragments. The victim in that case has said he had never spoken to Guynn and was punched without warning or provocation. Guynn posted bail about two weeks before the alleged attack in Cottonwood Heights.

According to the MMA website Mixedmartialarts.com, Guynn fought and won two professional matches in 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wait....isn't UFC a reality show?
    Miller has some real issues. That kid needs to take his meds. It's one thing to get caught robbing a house, it's a whole other thing when you get caught hangin' out in a bathrobe.

Ariel Helwani is a complete waste of space. His m.o. goes like this:

"So, so and so said this and that about you. How does that make you feel?"

every single time. Always trying to create drama.

Tomato Can Blues

A wannabe MMA fighter fakes death and violently robs a gun store. Long read, good story. This is a follow up in the NYTimes from a story Gene recently posted here.

My family is friends of the victim.

Wow - what a crazy story.

That article was really engaging. I enjoyed the artwork.

That's intense that you were connected by only a few degrees, MightyB.

Here's my original post.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That article was really engaging. I enjoyed the artwork.

That's intense that you were connected by only a few degrees, MightyB.

Here's my original post.
    They weren't kidding in their description of Gladwin. It's very small, like every mid and northern Michigan town.
    ----
    I liked how they made the story into a slightly interactive comic / detective story. Cool technique.