Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Roshaun Bernard Jones

Laundromat killings? I don't think I want to know...

Del City police arrest mixed martial arts fighter in laundromat killings

Jones

Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 12:01 am
    By Nolan Clay and Josh Wallace The Oklahoman

DEL CITY — Police have arrested a suspect in the fatal shootings Monday morning of a well-liked Del City laundromat manager and a Good Samaritan customer.
    The suspect was identified as Roshaun Bernard Jones, 33, a cage fighter who has spent time in federal prison for counterfeiting and repeated probation violations. He was being held Friday night in the Oklahoma County Jail without bail.
    "We feel strongly that we have the right person," Del City Police Maj. Jody Suit said.
    Del City police arrested Jones about 2:50 p.m. Friday at an apartment complex near Southeast 15th Street and Sooner Road in Midwest City, Suit said. Assisting in the arrest were deputy U.S. marshals and Midwest City police officers.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hildred Oliney

MMA fighter charged with choking ex-girlfriend, injuring daughter in Ontario

Former mixed martial arts fighter Hildred Oliney, 33, of Ontario is accused of attacking and threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend and burning their daughter by flicking a lit cigarette. BOOKING MUG COURTESY OF THE SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT
    By Beatriz Valenzuela, San Bernardino Sun

POSTED: 02/22/17, 6:12 AM PST | UPDATED: 8 HRS AGO

ONTARIO >> A former mixed martial arts fighter is expected to be in court Thursday after denying he attacked his former girlfriend, threatened to kill her and flicked a lit cigarette that burned the couple’s daughter, according to authorities.

Hildred Oliney, 33, of Ontario was arrested Valentine’s Day night after he allegedly went to his former girlfriend’s apartment in the 1300 block of D Street and snuck up on the mother of his child, allegedly placing her in a choke hold.

“He also verbally threatened to kill her as he was choking and dragging her around,” Ontario police Sgt. Jeff Higbee said.

After she reported the attack, authorities found and arrested Oliney at a home at 11489 Trotter Lane in Fontana, according to San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department booking records.

He was booked and eventually charged with assault, making criminal threats and child endangerment. He pleaded not guilty Feb. 17.

“The child endangerment charge came from an argument the day before in which Oliney flicked a cigarette into the victim’s car and burned their 7-year-old daughter’s head,” Higbee said.

According to his stats on Sherdog.com, a mixed martial arts website, Oliney was fighting out of the Riverside Submission gym and had a record of 6 wins and 5 losses. Most of his fights took place between 2007 and 2009.

He is expected to be in West Valley Superior court in Rancho Cucamonga Thursday morning for a hearing. Oliney is currently being held in West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonaga.
    Flicking a cig on a kid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Brawl breaks out at Dagestan fight

I was at an MMA event when a fight broke out. Showdown in Surftown 2013 CAMO State Championship Finals. I'm surprised I didn't start a thread on it here (at least, it's not popping up in a search ). I must have just done facebook pix. Anyway the fight was in the audience, way up in the bleacher seats. It was two women who got into it and it was bloody. I was way down at ringside so I didn't really see it, but my Kung Fu shidi who were also at the fight ran into the fray to rubberneck. It was settled quickly.

And it was nothing like this.

Riot nearly breaks out during MMA event in Dagestan
    March 14, 2017 6:35pm EDT In something you couldn't script, the fans in crowd rushed the ring and a brawl broke out.

UFC Octagon(Getty Images)

Steven Muehlhausen Contributor @SMuehlhausenMMA
    Published on Mar. 14, 2017

It was quite the weekend for awkward situations in MMA.

On Saturday at Shamrock FC 285 in Kansas City, you had a double knockout between Alan Vasquez and Axel Cazares.

Then on the same day in Dagestan, in a fight between highly touted prospect Vladimir Mineev and Aziz Dzhumaniyazov, a riot nearly ensued.

The round appeared to end when Dzhumaniyazov kicked Mineev. Not happy about what happened, Mineev punched Dzhumaniyazov to head. In something you couldn't script, the fans in crowd rushed the ring and a brawl broke out.

An investigation has been launched by the Russian MMA Union. The president of the Dagestani regional Russian MMA Union, Shamil Alibatyrov believes the incident is overblown even though the video seems to prove otherwise.

"What happened cannot be called a mass brawl, as is media reported," Alibatyrov told Bloody Elbow. "The video can be seen clearly. When there was a skirmish between the athletes, the people ran out to the ring. But our team, I personally, match referee and the most titled athletes are not allowed to develop conflict. It was just a crush between us. A little later, I, as President of the Federation, and arranged a meeting between Mineev and Dzhumaniyazov, where they shook hands. The men made it clear that what happened was just a rush of emotions. This incident was over then.”

Steven Muehlhausen is an MMA and boxing writer and contributor for Sporting News. You can find his podcast, "The Fight Club Chicago," and subscribe on iTunes . You can email him at stevemuehlhausen@yahoo.com and can find him on Twitter @SMuehlhausenMMA .
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I was at an MMA event when a fight broke out. Showdown in Surftown 2013 CAMO State Championship Finals. I'm surprised I didn't start a thread on it here (at least, it's not popping up in a search ). I must have just done facebook pix. Anyway the fight was in the audience, way up in the bleacher seats. It was two women who got into it and it was bloody. I was way down at ringside so I didn't really see it, but my Kung Fu shidi who were also at the fight ran into the fray to rubberneck. It was settled quickly.

And it was nothing like this.
    While not MMA events, I've been at 2 different events where full-scale riots broke out.

Back in 1981, at a 'full-contact karate'/kickboxing event, a large-scale brawl erupted in the sports arena on the floor level between three large groups: blacks, Mexicans and Hell's Angels bikers. All were seated in the seats at floor level/near ringside. The reason? Some decision between a black fighter and a Mexican fighter that someone didn't like. It started between the blacks and Mexicans, then the bikers jumped in for the hell of it. Then the blacks and Mexicans temporarily teamed up and eventually beat down the bikers, who were mostly heavy and middle-aged. There were gang stompings and folding chair beatdowns that make WWE chair shots look slow and tame. The fighting went on for a long time. We were up on the 2nd level and had a perfect POV. There were some big-name guys in the kickboxing and sport karate world at that time who were involved; I heard one got stomped but I didn't see that myself. Too much happening at once. I won't name names. After the Hell's Angels were out of it, the blacks formed a shoulder-to-shoulder line, then went into an identical Kenpo fighting pose, calling out the Mexicans. Then it was announced that the show was over and the police were called. Everybody in the audience began to split.

During the middle of the fighting, James Lacy (who later became the famed coconut breaker) stood up from his 2nd-level seat and said, "Hey, I know that guy," and went downstairs. Shortly we saw him approaching an obese, bearded biker from behind and tap his shoulder *while the guy was fighting*, and the biker turned and clobbered him in slow motion. Lacy staggered about 10 feet in slow motion and fell over a chair. Then he came back up and curtly told his wife, 'We're leaving.'

The other riot was at the 1994 Ed Parker Memorial tournament in Long Beach. Also large-scale on the floor level, but fights also broke out among associated people up on the 2nd level as well. The Long Beach PD was called in for that one, and when we left the arena, everybody was illuminated by police helecopter searchlights, and voices over loudspeakers ordering everyone to clear the arena.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Your stories here beat mine, Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    While not MMA events, I've been at 2 different events where full-scale riots broke out.

Back in 1981, at a 'full-contact karate'/kickboxing event, a large-scale brawl erupted in the sports arena on the floor level between three large groups: blacks, Mexicans and Hell's Angels bikers. All were seated in the seats at floor level/near ringside. The reason? Some decision between a black fighter and a Mexican fighter that someone didn't like. It started between the blacks and Mexicans, then the bikers jumped in for the hell of it. Then the blacks and Mexicans temporarily teamed up and eventually beat down the bikers, who were mostly heavy and middle-aged. There were gang stompings and folding chair beatdowns that make WWE chair shots look slow and tame. The fighting went on for a long time. We were up on the 2nd level and had a perfect POV. There were some big-name guys in the kickboxing and sport karate world at that time who were involved; I heard one got stomped but I didn't see that myself. Too much happening at once. I won't name names. After the Hell's Angels were out of it, the blacks formed a shoulder-to-shoulder line, then went into an identical Kenpo fighting pose, calling out the Mexicans. Then it was announced that the show was over and the police were called. Everybody in the audience began to split.

During the middle of the fighting, James Lacy (who later became the famed coconut breaker) stood up from his 2nd-level seat and said, "Hey, I know that guy," and went downstairs. Shortly we saw him approaching an obese, bearded biker from behind and tap his shoulder *while the guy was fighting*, and the biker turned and clobbered him in slow motion. Lacy staggered about 10 feet in slow motion and fell over a chair. Then he came back up and curtly told his wife, 'We're leaving.'

The other riot was at the 1994 Ed Parker Memorial tournament in Long Beach. Also large-scale on the floor level, but fights also broke out among associated people up on the 2nd level as well. The Long Beach PD was called in for that one, and when we left the arena, everybody was illuminated by police helecopter searchlights, and voices over loudspeakers ordering everyone to clear the arena.
    Great stories. I've been at a few other events where there were fights, mostly scuffles, one-on-one or maybe a few more, but no full on riots yet. I've been at events where their were riots but those weren't martial gatherings. They were at protests and rap shows.

Maybe we should start a new thread about Fights at Fights (and tournaments). Maybe we already have one but that's hard to tease out in a forum search.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ismail C.?

Harsh. Sharps change everything.

NSFW Pics: MMA Fighter Left For Dead After Machete Attack
    By Rory Kernaghan -May 20, 20163

Terrible news out of Hamburg, Germany this week, as gruesome stories of an attack on a mixed martial artists from that region have began circulating. Until this point there was little known about the incident, but now details and gory images have emerged about the harrowing event that took place on Wednesday May 18, 2016. For the feint hearted, this story is probably not a good read while you eat breakfast.

The fighter involved was Abeku Afful, a gym owner in the European city of Hasselbrook, Hamburg, and the details are both horrible in nature, but also rather pathetic and evil in motive. Currently ranked in the top 10 middleweight fighters from Germany, Afful was training for an upcoming fight on the weekend, but all that changed when a gang of armed assailants burst in to the room where Afful was training and attacked him with knives, a machete and batons.

Abeku Afful (picture right, blue gloves)

BloodyElbow first made the report of the attack, and it appears the motive and reason behind the attack are more than spiteful and empty minded:

Shortly after the attack, Ismail C., the head coach of another MMA gym in Hamburg, was arrested by the police. Witnesses have identified him due to his voice and physique.

Local insiders report that Afful was a long-time student of C., but eventually left the gym to open his own team, which has created some serious animosity between the two. The alleged reason for last night’s attack was a female coach of C.’s gym who also trained at Afful’s school. Both the coach and Afful, have been threatened via text message before the incident happened.

However, it is important to note: as of right now, the police have no evidence that C. was indeed one of the intruders. Neither Afful nor C. have been available for comment, yet.

Sources close to the situation have reported that, after numerous surgeries, Afful is no longer in a life-threatening condition, but will remain in the intensive care unit and might as well need another surgery.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jason 'Mayhem' Miller pleads guilty

More Mayhem: here, here & here.

Former mixed martial arts fighter Jason 'Mayhem' Miller pleads guilty to almost a dozen charges
    April 5, 2017 Updated April 6, 2017 7:34 a.m.

Booking photo of former MMA fighter Jason 'Mayhem' Miller, 35, of Mission Viejo after being arrested on suspicion of DUI. (Courtesy of Irvine Pollice Department)

By KELLY PUENTE / STAFF WRITER

SANTA ANA Jason “Mayhem” Miller was sentenced to three years of probation and 100 days in jail on Wednesday for a string of felonies stemming from multiple clashes with Orange County law enforcement.

Standing in court sporting his trademark pink mohawk haircut, Miller, 36, pleaded guilty to nearly a dozen felonies and misdemeanors, including assault on a peace officer, battery and resisting arrest.

As part of a plea bargain with Orange County Superior Court Judge Robert Fitzgerald, Miller was given double credit for 50 days of time served, meaning he will not have to spend more time behind bars, his attorney Cameron Talley said.

Miller now has two strikes on his record and could face serious consequences if he violates his probation, Talley said.

A jury in February acquitted Miller of felony domestic violence after determining he did not beat up his ex-girlfriend in his Mission Viejo home in 2013.

Talley said the former champion MMA fighter lost his job as a commentator for Fox Sports and fell into a depression after the allegations, triggering his troubles.

“The good news for Jason is that his life is back on track,” Talley said. “He’s got his business back, and he’s traveling the world as a commentator.”

As his domestic violence case was pending, Miller had multiple run-ins with law enforcement.

In October 2014, he barricaded himself inside his home for more than four hours and live tweeted the incident while Orange County Sheriff’s Department deputies tried to detain him for an outstanding arrest warrant.

In 2015, he was arrested after police say he kicked and spit at officers following an incident inside a Laguna Beach restaurant.

He was arrested again last year after police said he resisted arrest and spit in an officer’s face in Costa Mesa.

He also was accused of throwing a tile at a sheriff’s deputy responding to his Mission Viejo home after reports of a disturbance.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Mark Geller, who handled the cases, said Miller should have received a longer sentence, noting his “many incidents of assaultive conduct against police officers.”

“I don’t agree with the sentence, but I respect the court’s position,” he said.

Standing outside of the courtroom on Wednesday, Miller said he accepts responsibility, but he believes police treated him differently and labeled him as an abuser after the domestic violence allegations.

Miller, who now works as a trainer and manages other fighters, said he has respect for law enforcement and trains police officer clients in his gym.

“I take responsibility for my stupidity,” he said. “You can’t rough up the police with no consequences.”

Miller said his depression has lifted since his acquittal, and he’s working to rebuild his life and career.

“I’ll serve my time with my head held high,” he said. “I’ll straighten up and fly right.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Matthew Torres

A two-fer today...

Mixed martial arts instructor faces sex charge
    By 6 News Web Staff
    Published: April 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

EAST LANSING, Mich (WLNS) – A Lansing man has been charged with a sexual assault on another man last month.

Matthew Torres has been arraigned on a 3rd Degree Criminal Sexual Conduct involving force or coercion.

East Lansing Police tell 6 News that Torres has been a Mixed Martial Arts instructor at East Lansing Underground Martial Arts.

According to court records, Torres is a three-time habitual offender.

He has been released on a $250,000 bond and his next court date is April 14.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Although I dropped TCM a long time ago as a 'profession' (I still use it as a first aid responder) just from the looking (part of the four tools of daignoses) aspect of many of the assaults somehowI have the visual (from the face) as being elements of what is called "roid range". It does not help that elements of delusion fueled by steroids make this a far more dangersous combination.

Again, theis refers to assaults only

Lloyd Kevin Smith

If a high school coach is going to choke a kid out, best to drop him away from the glass and metal door.

North Country high school coach's MMA chokehold knocked out student, police say

Lloyd Kevin Smith (Provided photo)
    Elizabeth Doran | edoran@syracuse.com By Elizabeth Doran | edoran@syracuse.com
    on April 12, 2017 at 1:55 PM, updated April 12, 2017 at 5:27 PM

A Jefferson County baseball coach was charged with knocking unconscious a student he put in a mixed-martial arts chokehold after school, police said.

Indian River High School coach Kevin Smith, 46, of Theresa, was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, after the incident at 3:30 p.m. Friday, state police said. Indian River High School is in Philadephia, N.Y.

Smith was demonstrating MMA moves and put the student in a chokehold, police said. The maneuver caused the 16-year-old student to pass out, fall to the ground and hit his head on a glass-and-metal door.

Indian River School Superintendent James Kettrick said "the incident has been fully investigated and appropriate action has been taken." He declined to elaborate or provide any details or specifics on legal counsel's advice.

Smith is scheduled to appear in court tonight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And now for something completely different...

Anyone here have stock in Alliance MMA?

Robbins Arroyo LLP: Alliance MMA, Inc. (AMMA) Misled Shareholders According to a Recently Filed Class Action
    April 17, 2017 06:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time
    SAN DIEGO & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Shareholder rights law firm Robbins Arroyo LLP announces that a class action complaint was filed against Alliance MMA, Inc. (NasdaqCM: AMMA) in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. The complaint is brought on behalf of all purchasers of Alliance securities pursuant to the company's initial public offering on October 6, 2016 (the "IPO"), for alleged violations of the Securities Act of 1933 by Alliance's officers and directors. Alliance focuses on mixed martial arts (MMA) promotional activities.

Alliance Accused of Failing to Implement Adequate Internal Controls

According to the complaint, on October 6, 2016, Alliance held its IPO, selling approximately 3.3 million shares at $4.50 per share and raising approximately $14.99 million in net proceeds. The complaint alleges that Alliance's registration statement that was filed in connection with its IPO failed to disclose that the condensed consolidated financial statements for the three months ended June 30, 2016, and for the six months ended June 30, 2016, could not be relied upon due to an error in recognizing as compensation transfers of common stock by an affiliate of the company to individuals who were at the time of transfer, or subsequently became, officers, directors or consultants of the company.

On April 12, 2017, Alliance filed a Form 8-K with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission revealing that certain of its financial statements should no longer be relied upon. The company further noted that it plans to include revised financial information in its Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016, and that the company's chief financial officer has "discussed the determination to restate these financial statements with its independent accounting firm." Since its IPO, shares of Alliance have plummeted over 50%, closing at $2.24 per share on April 13, 2017.

Alliance Shareholders Have Legal Options

Concerned shareholders who would like more information about their rights and potential remedies can contact attorney Leonid Kandinov at (800) 350-6003, LKandinov@robbinsarroyo.com, or via the shareholder information form on the firm's website.

Robbins Arroyo LLP is a nationally recognized leader in shareholder rights law. The firm represents individual and institutional investors in shareholder derivative and securities class action lawsuits, and has helped its clients realize more than $1 billion of value for themselves and the companies in which they have invested.

Attorney Advertising. Past results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

Contacts
    Robbins Arroyo LLP
    Leonid Kandinov
    (619) 525-3990 or Toll Free (800) 350-6003
    LKandinov@robbinsarroyo.com
    www.robbinsarroyo.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Michael Graves

UFC releases Michael Graves following domestic violence arrest in 2016
    Damon Martin @DamonMartin
    Apr 17, 2017 at 9:34p ET

Once promising prospect Michael Graves has been released from the UFC due to a violation of the promotion’s code of conduct policy following his arrest on domestic violence allegations last year.

Graves was originally pulled from his fight against Sergio Moraes last year after he was arrested for battery in Atlanta last October.

On Monday, the UFC announced that following an independent investigation into the matter, the promotion has opted to release Graves from his contract effective immediately.
    “In November 2016, welterweight Michael Graves was removed from his UFC bout following his arrest. As a potential violation of the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy, the UFC organization temporarily barred Graves from competition pending the completion of a third-party investigation. Based on the findings of this thorough review and investigation, UFC has advised Graves that he has been released from his contract effective immediately,” UFC officials wrote in a statement.
    “UFC requires all athletes to act in an ethical and responsible manner, as mandated by the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. UFC holds its athletes to the highest standard and will continue to take appropriate action if and when warranted.”
    Graves (6-0-1) got his start in the UFC as part of “The Ultimate Fighter” cast that pit American Top Team against the Blackzilians.

Following his stint on the show, Graves won his first two fights in the UFC before going to a majority draw with Bojan Velickovic last July. His return was then stalled in October following his arrest and now he’s been released from the UFC.
    More domestic abuse.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Allen Pisarich

MS martial arts instructor charged with sexual battery of juvenile
    by Keith Lane Friday, April 14th 2017

Allen Pisarich

The owner of an Ocean Springs martial arts school is in the Jackson County Adult Detention Center charged with sexual battery.
    Sheriff Mike Ezell says 48-year-old Allen Todd Pisarich is charged with two counts of sexual battery of a juvenile known to him.
    The sheriff says an investigation of Pisarich started last November after allegations of sexual abuse and inappropriate conduct by Pisarich towards juveniles he knew and with whom he had contact.
    Pisarcih is the owner of Academy for Mixed Martial Arts in Ocean Springs, MS.
    US Marshals arrested Pisarich Thursday April 13. There may be other charges filed against him as the investigation continues.
    Pisarich is expected in court for an initial hearing Monday April 17.
    What will it say about MMA when this thread goes from predominantly domestic abuse cases to child molestation like our main forum's Busted Martial Artists thread?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Brett Charles Rogers

An old Strikeforce fighter. Wonder if I ever saw him fight?

Ex-MMA fighter takes plea in sex misconduct in St. Paul skyway bathroom, library, jail
    By SARAH HORNER | shorner@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
    PUBLISHED: May 30, 2017 at 4:53 pm | UPDATED: May 30, 2017 at 6:44 pm

A former mixed martial arts heavyweight fighter from St. Paul accused of repeated instances of sexual misconduct pleaded guilty to the crimes Tuesday.

Brett Charles Rogers, known as Brett “Da Grimm” Rogers in the fighting world, entered Alford pleas in Ramsey County District Court to two charges of fifth-degree criminal sexual conduct and a third charge of interfering with someone’s privacy, according to court records.

Brett Charles Rogers (Courtesy of Ramsey County sheriff)

“The plea was an Alford plea so he didn’t enter an admission of guilt … but he (decided) to plead in order to take advantage of the offer from the state,” said Terrance Lyndon Hendricks, Rogers’ defense attorney.

The state’s offer includes no additional jail time for Rogers presuming he remains law abiding and adheres to all other terms of his probation, Hendricks said. He must also undergoing a psychosexual evaluation.

The 36-year-old Rogers, who is reportedly homeless, was in the basement of the George Latimer Central Library in downtown St. Paul last November when he groped a library employee while riding beside him in an elevator, according to one of the complaints.

The man reportedly slapped Rogers’ hand away and asked him what he was doing. Rogers didn’t say anything and exited the elevator as soon as the door opened.

Then, on Jan. 4, he asked a man who was standing next to him at a urinal inside a bathroom in a downtown St. Paul skyway if he wanted to have sex inside one of the stalls, according to the complaint. When the man said no, Rogers grabbed his buttocks, the complaint said. The man quickly left and later reported the incident to police.

The third incident took place in the Ramsey County jail after Rogers was booked on the earlier alleged offenses.

In that instance, Rogers’ cellmate was sleeping when he woke to find Rogers fondling him, court documents say.

When questioned about it, Rogers said his cellmate was lying.

The 6-foot-4, 270-pound heavyweight fighter competed for Strikeforce, a mixed-martial arts and kickboxing organization based in San Jose, Calif. He lost his professional contract after assaulting his wife in 2011.

Strikeforce discovered Rogers while he was at work changing tires at Sam’s Club in 2009.

His past criminal convictions include felony-level domestic assault and violating a no-contact order.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kevin Crane

More domestic violence.

Local MMA fighter charged with beating his girlfriend
    Mike Harris , mike.harris@vcstar.com, 805-437-0323 Published 7:05 a.m. PT June 13, 2017 | Updated 13 minutes ago

(Photo: STAR FILE PHOTO)

A Ventura County mixed martial arts fighter has been charged in a felony domestic violence case with allegedly beating his girlfriend.

Kevin Crane, 22, of Ojai, is charged with one felony count of injuring a girlfriend.

He has pleaded not guilty and is free on $50,000 bail. If convicted, Crane could be sentenced to state prison for four years.

The alleged beating took place April 7 at the girlfriend's residence in Westlake Village in Los Angeles County.

"It was an alleged physical assault during a struggle," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Detective Victor Paladino, who's assigned to the Malibu/Lost Hills station. "There's some dispute as to what exactly happened, but she suffered a concussion, I believe."

The case is being prosecuted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office in the Van Nuys branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court.

A hearing to schedule a preliminary hearing was postponed Monday until July 18.

Crane's defense attorney could not be reached for comment.

Crane competed in his first amateur bout in MMA in June 2015 and discovered he had a knack for the sport. A year later, he won an amateur competition in Las Vegas where the first-place prize was a professional contract.

He told The Star in February that he was training at Morumbi Academy in Ventura, saying he feels most comfortable with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

"I feel like this is my destiny," he said. "I grew up loving to wrestle and compete and I just love doing this."

According to sherdog.com, a leading MMA website, Crane, a welterweight, has a 3-1 amateur record but no fights yet as a professional.

Prior to MMA, Crane played football at Nordhoff High School in Ojai and in 2012 was named The Star's Defensive Player of the Year and was the co-Defensive Player of the Year in the Tri-Valley League.

A former MMA fighter with a Ventura County connection, one-time Simi Valley resident Jonathan "War Machine" Koppenhaver, was sentenced last week in Las Vegas to 36 years to life in Nevada state prison for kidnapping, beating and sexually assaulting his ex-girlfriend, former porn star Christy Mack, and attacking her male friend in 2014.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips