Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Slightly OT

Man stabs mixed martial arts fighter after couples brawl, Richland County sheriff says
    BY NOAH FEIT
    AUGUST 29, 2019 04:07 PM, UPDATED AUGUST 29, 2019 08:29 PM

A couple is behind bars after brawling with former friends Wednesday night, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department said.

A falling-out over accusations of bad parenting led to accusations of tire slashing and ultimately a brawl where Michael D. Hinson Jr. stabbed a mixed martial arts fighter who had beaten him up, the Sheriff’s Department said in a news release.

The 23-year-old Hinson and his girlfriend, 31-year-old Stephanie Perez-Ray, were arrested on separate charges following the fight in the 100 block of Chatham Trace, according to the news release. That’s near the intersection of Kelly Mill and Bombing Range roads in Columbia.

Hinton and Perez-Ray confronted the other couple at about 10 p.m., saying they slashed the tires on Perez-Ray’s car, the Sheriff’s Department reported.

Michael D. Hinson Jr. and Stephanie Perez-Ray were arrested after a fight with another couple, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department said. ALVIN S. GLENN DETENTION CENTER

This led to a physical battle, where Hinson fought with the other man and was beaten up by the mixed martial arts fighter, according to the release.

While he was being pummeled on the ground, Hinson pulled out a knife and stabbed the man multiple times in the upper body, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The man was taken to an area hospital, but information on his condition was not available.

Hinson was charged with attempted murder, and Perez-Ray is charged with third-degree assault and battery, according to the release.

Both are being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

The couples had a falling-out about two weeks prior to the fight, when Perez-Ray told the other woman she was a bad parent, the Sheriff’s Department said.

NOAH FEIT
    803-771-8435
    Noah Feit is a Real Time reporter with The State and McClatchy Carolinas Regional Team. The award-winning journalist has worked for multiple newspapers since starting his career in 1999.
    Grappling isn't recommended when there's a sharp.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Joe Giudice

Here's a twist for this thread. Usually, they are MMA fighters getting sent to jail, not ex-cons becoming MMA fighters.

EXCLUSIVE
    Joe Giudice plans to become an MMA fighter after prison
    By Chelsea HirschSeptember 18, 2019 | 1:33pm

Joe Giudice wants to be an MMA fighter post-prison.Getty Images ; Shutterstock (Composite)

Joe Giudice got in fighting shape in prison — and now, as he awaits a decision in his deportation case, he hopes to take his skills to the MMA ring.

“He’s a trained martial artist,” a source close to Giudice told Page Six on Wednesday. “He wants to compete and he wants to compete now, in not martial arts, but mixed martial arts.”

Giudice, 47, is currently in a detention center while his deportation case is in progress. A judge has yet to rule whether the “Real Housewives of New Jersey” husband can be released on bond.

We’re told Giudice went into prison at 215 pounds and now weighs 165 pounds.

“According to him, he’s been doing a lot of the exercises and a lot of the routines that he learned when he got his black belt,” the insider told us. “He’s been eating right, exercising, staying in shape, getting his body right and he feels like, as far as his condition, he feels stronger than he did when he was in his 20s.”

Giudice, whose prison stint for fraud began after wife Teresa Giudice’s ended, has been behind bars for over three years, beginning his 41-month sentence in March 2016. While in custody, a judge ruled that he was to be deported to his native Italy after his release in March 2019.

He fought the decision and was released to a detention center while the case is ongoing.

“This is one of the things that he is adamant about and he has been speaking about it for quite some time. He didn’t just cook this up last night,” the insider said. “It’s one of the reasons why he’s worked so hard to stay in shape and get in shape and whatnot.”

Teresa, meanwhile, has taken up bodybuilding in recent years, saying in 2018 that she hadn’t felt so good since giving birth to her teenage daughter Gia, the oldest of the couple’s four children.

James Leonard, the Giudice family attorney, declined to comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Here's a twist for this thread. Usually, they are MMA fighters getting sent to jail, not ex-cons becoming MMA fighters.
    That's a little old to become an MMA fighter, but hey, if he can do it, great.

Why did they feel the need to make a painfully obvious photoshop of his head on someone else's body?

'reality' tv star

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Why did they feel the need to make a painfully obvious photoshop of his head on someone else's body?
    He's “Real Housewives of New Jersey” husband. The report is mocking him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ariel Gandulla

Former M.M.A. Fighter Returns to U.S. to Face Charges in 2011 Killing
    Ariel Gandulla returned voluntarily from Canada this week to face charges of murder, conspiracy and kidnapping in Miami-Dade County, Fla. Four other men have been charged in the case.

Ariel Gandulla at a mixed martial arts event in 2011. After spending several years in Canada, he returned to Florida this week to face charges in the 2011 killing of a 43-year-old man.CreditCreditJL/SIPA Press, via Newscom

By Christine Hauser
    Published Sept. 26, 2019
    Updated Sept. 27, 2019, 9:39 a.m. ET

On June 1, 2011, officers with the Miami-Dade Police Department went to investigate a brush fire in a desolate area near the Everglades. Instead, they found a murder.

The burned body of a man whose hands were tied behind his back lay near a dirt road, according to an affidavit. He had a slit throat, blunt-force injuries and burns to his pelvic area. He was later identified as Camilo Salazar, a 43-year-old man whose wife had reported him missing.

When investigators examined his car, a fingerprint led them to Ariel Gandulla, a mixed martial arts fighter, the affidavit said.

This week, Mr. Gandulla, 51, returned to Miami as a suspect in the killing of Mr. Salazar after spending several years in Canada. The state attorney said the case resembled the plot of a “bad Hollywood movie”: Another fighter, a promoter and a supermarket magnate are also suspects; there have been escapes to Spain and Canada; and an affair led to a fatal act of revenge, according to affidavits.

On Wednesday, Mr. Gandulla, who is called Ariel Gandulla Sarria in some court and Miami-Dade jail records, had a bond hearing in the 11th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida on charges of murder, conspiracy and kidnapping. A handcuffed Mr. Gandulla listened to a translator through headphones as Judge Mindy S. Glazer read the charges and scheduled his next appearance for Friday.

Gail Levine, an assistant state attorney, said in the hearing that Mr. Gandulla had surrendered to the authorities in Miami on Tuesday. He “came voluntarily into this country from Canada on a significant parole benefit,” she said.

The authorities have requested that Mr. Gandulla be kept separate from his co-defendants while in custody, Ms. Levine said.

Mr. Gandulla was a mixed martial arts fighter known as the Panther who had trained since childhood. He left his native Cuba and moved to the United States in 1994, according to a video profile published by Championship Fighting Alliance in 2012. In the video, he says he started fighting professionally in 2005 after moving to Miami.

In 2012, he moved to Canada, where, as a 5-foot-11 middleweight, he lost fights in Victoria, Fort St. John and Richmond over the next few years, according to fight websites. He trained at a kickboxing studio in Vancouver, where he was known as a quiet family man who loved judo and muay Thai, The Vancouver Sun reported.

In April last year, prosecutors in Miami announced charges against Mr. Gandulla as well as a second fighter, Alexis Vila, 48; a boxing promoter, Roberto Isaac, 63; and Miguel Marin, 65, who owned supermarkets and is accused of ordering the 2011 murder of Mr. Salazar after he had an affair with Mr. Marin’s wife, according to the affidavit.

At the time, Mr. Gandulla was “living freely” with his family in Vancouver while his application for Canadian residency was being reviewed, The Vancouver Sun reported.

The affidavit said records of cellphone calls among the four men connected them to the murder on June 1, 2011. Affidavits in the case allege that Mr. Marin returned to Miami that day after traveling to Bimini on a yacht with his family, and met with Mr. Isaac and Mr. Gandulla.

Mr. Salazar’s body was discovered at 6:30 p.m., and days later, Mr. Marin fled to Spain, the affidavit says. He was arrested and extradited to South Florida last year, The Miami Herald reported. Mr. Isaac’s and Mr. Vila’s trials are set to begin next month, the newspaper said.

Jay Kolsky, Mr. Gandulla’s lawyer, did not reply to emails and telephone calls on Wednesday and Thursday. Peter Edelmann, his lawyer in Canada, declined to comment.

In November, the state attorney of Miami-Dade County, Katherine Fernandez Rundle, said Mr. Marin’s son Yaddiel had been arrested as an accessory after the fact. An affidavit in support of his arrest says that he secretly supported his father, overseeing the sale of property and child-support payments while the elder Mr. Marin was in Spain.

“The facts regarding this case are like that of a bad Hollywood movie — wealth, infidelity, rage, conspiracy and murder,” Ms. Fernandez Rundle said.

Ariel Gandulla Sarria
    Miami-Dade County Corrections and Rehabilitation

Yaddiel Marin’s oversight of his father’s financial and other affairs prevented law enforcement from learning Mr. Marin’s whereabouts, the affidavit says.

“It just highlights to all in our community that we do not stop working these cases,” Juan J. Perez, the director of the Miami-Dade Police Department said at the news conference in November. “Time may pass but our effort does not, our diligence does not. The long arm of the law will get you.”
    Big enough story to make the NYT.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ralph Gracie

Martial Arts Pro Indicted After Fleeing Country: Danville, Dublin
    Danville resident Ralph Gracie, who owns several Gracie Jiu-Jitsu academies in the Bay Area — including Dublin — is accused of assault.
    By Toni McAllister, Patch Staff
    Oct 1, 2019 8:47 pm ET | Updated Oct 1, 2019 9:07 pm ET

Ralph Gracie (YouTube)

DANVILLE, CA — A 39-year-old professional mixed martial artist from Danville who owns several Gracie Jiu-Jitsu academies in the Bay Area has been indicted by a Southern California grand jury for a felony assault on a five-time Jiu-Jitsu world champion.

Ralph Gracie — who holds a 5th degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu — was indicted last week by the Orange County Grand Jury on one count of felony assault with an enhancement for inflicting great bodily injury on Flavio Almeida.

The Orange County District Attorney's Office alleges the December 15, 2018 attack on the world champion was unprovoked. Almeida was coaching one of his athletes from the sidelines of the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation World Championships in Anaheim when Gracie allegedly elbowed the champion in the face and knocked him unconscious. Gracie is accused of then kicking Almeida in the face at least once while he was on the ground.

Lincoln Jeferson Pereira, a student of Gracie's, joined in the attack, striking Almeida while he was unconscious. Almeida suffered a concussion and two missing teeth as a result of the attack, prosecutors allege.

Gracie fled to Brazil after the alleged attack and a warrant was issued for his arrest in April. He failed to appear at several subsequent scheduled court hearings, according to prosecutors.

"The Orange County District Attorney's Office will continue to seek justice for victims regardless of the geographical obstacles in our way," said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer.

A felony assault charge against Pereira was reduced to a misdemeanor; he pleaded guilty in July and was sentenced in August to 80 days time-served.

According to his biography posted on his website ralphgracie.com, Gracie has been a champion fighter for over 20 years and has been called "one of the best ground fighters in the world."

"He was born into and has studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for over 30 years. Ralph has dedicated his life to teaching the incredible fighting system known today around the world as Gracie Jiu-Jitsu," the website states.

Gracie has six academies in California, including one in Dublin, as well as facilities in Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Berkeley, San Jose and Modesto, according to the website. He uses the motto, "It's better to die, than not train."

He's local but I've never met him. I'm not that deep in the MMA circles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Assault in Dublin

I just realized some of the McGregor offences have been listed on our Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee thread, but I'm going to try to list them here from now on just because it seems more fitting, given the title. I think I've copied most of them to our 'busted' thread too.

Conor McGregor charged with assault for bar punch in Dublin
    Oct 4, 2019
    Marc Raimondi
    ESPN Staff Writer

Conor McGregor has been charged with assault for punching a man in a Dublin, Ireland, bar in April.

McGregor, the former UFC two-division champion, was formally served with a summons and is due in a Dublin court Oct. 11 on the charge, McGregor spokesperson Karen Kessler confirmed with ESPN's Ariel Helwani. McGregor's team had no further comment.

Per the The Independent, the assault charge carries a maximum prison term of six months if convicted, a fine of $1,646, or both.

The incident occurred April 6 at the Marble Arch pub. McGregor, 31, was captured on camera punching a man, who was sitting at the bar, in the face. The man is in his 50s.

In an August interview with ESPN, McGregor expressed remorse for his "unacceptable behavior" in the situation.

"I was in the wrong," McGregor said. "That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. ... I tried to make amends, and I made amends back then. But it doesn't matter. I was in the wrong. I must come here before you and take accountability and take responsibility. I owe it to the people that have been supporting me. I owe it to my mother, my father, my family. I owe it to the people who trained me in martial arts. That's not who I am. That's not the reason why I got into martial arts or studying combat sports. The reason I got into it was to defend against that type of scenario."

McGregor (21-4) has not fought since a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018. Since then, he has had a series of outside-the-cage issues. The Irishman was arrested in March in Miami for smashing a man's cell phone outside a club. Later that month, the New York Times reported that McGregor was under investigation in Ireland for alleged sexual assault. McGregor tweeted around the same time that he was retired from MMA, but has since backed off from that statement.

"I must get my head screwed on and just get back in the game and fight for redemption, retribution, respect -- the things that made me the man I am," McGregor told ESPN in August. "And that's what I will do."
    THREADS
    Conor McGregor Notorious
    Busted MMA fighters and fights
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joe Giudice

More on Giudice here. Does he deserve his own thread? Reality stars can be such attention hogs that way. I know because I am one.

There are a bunch of embedded instagram vids in this that I'm not going to cut&paste here.
    Joe Giudice Practices Martial Arts Shirtless After ICE Release: 'Gotta Fight Your Way Back'
    "I'm going to come back and we're going to fight," Real Housewives of New Jersey star Joe Giudice said
    By Dave Quinn October 17, 2019 08:33 AM

Joe Giudice is ready for battle.

As the Real Housewives of New Jersey star, 49, awaits the decision regarding his latest deportation appeal in Italy, he’s staying in shape — working hard to maintain his dramatic weight-loss in a series of martial arts training videos shared on Wednesday.

Joe’s eldest daughter Gia Giudice, 18, shared the clips in a gallery on her Instagram account.

“We come back stronger than before ❤️,” she captioned the footage — which showed Joe sparring with his brother Pete, who is staying with him in Italy. “The fights just starting 💪🏼.”

“Zio Pete your a great coach,” she added, with a smile.

On her Instagram Story, she shared another clip, this time featuring Joe himself speaking out for the first time since his release from an ICE facility last Friday.

“I’m going to come back and we’re going to fight,” he said. “Gotta fight your way back. Never give up.”

Joe Giudice GIA GIUDICE INSTAGRAM

Joe has been away from the home he shares with wife Teresa Giudice and their four daughters — Gia, Gabriella, 15, Milania, 14, and Audriana, 10 — since he began a 41-month prison sentence for mail, wire and bankruptcy fraud in March 2016.

Though Joe has lived in the United States since he was a child, he never obtained American citizenship, and immigrants can be deported if they are convicted of “a crime of moral turpitude” or an “aggravated felony,” according to U.S. law.

That ruling came Joe’s way last October. He’s appealed twice so far, and has been denied both times. A final ruling is expected in November.

After his release from prison in March, Joe asked to be held in the custody of Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the Clinton County Correctional Center in Pennsylvania while he fought the deportation decision.

A petition to be released back to his home wasn’t granted but a request to go to Italy was. Last Friday, he was released from ICE custody and flew to Rome, where he has been spending time with family.

Joe and Gia Giudice GIA GIUDICE/INSTAGRAM

Joe Giudice and his daughters MILANIA GUIDICE/INSTAGRAM

While Teresa has publicly stood by her husband thus far, she has also been realistic about the fate of their marriage should he be deported, admitting on the RHONJ season 9 reunion that she’s “not doing a long-distance relationship.”

And on Tuesday, Bravo released the first few minutes of the RHONJ season 10 premiere to their Bravo Insiders fan club, and in it, Teresa is at a crossroads in her relationship.

Asked by costar Jennifer Aydin if she’s still in love with Joe, Teresa said frankly, “I don’t know.”

“I haven’t been happy in so long,” she then told sister-in-law Melissa Gorga. “And I just want to be happy again.”

“I feel like I’m living the worst nightmare ever,” she admitted, later telling Friend of the Housewives Danielle Staub that she feels like “drinking a bottle of tequila every night.”

Teresa Giudice and Joe Giudice PAUL ZIMMERMAN/GETTY

Meanwhile, a source told PEOPLE earlier this week that Joe’s new physique is due to the lifestyle change he underwent while behind bars.

“He lost the weight from changing his diet, working out and no drinking,” the source said.

Before going to prison in March 2016, Joe told PEOPLE he was looking forward to quitting drinking while serving his time after he found himself developing bad habits while Teresa was completing her own prison sentence for the same crimes.

“I am not going to be able to drink for a while, which is good because I don’t even know when it’s been since I haven’t had a drink,” he told PEOPLE in February 2016. “It’s been a long time.”

“Definitely the whole year I drank every day a couple of bottles at night just to go to bed,” he said.

And in September 2016, Teresa told PEOPLE that Joe kept busy in prison by working out, revealing that he lost about 35 lbs. in the first six months of his 41-month sentence.

“He’s running, he’s doing 1,000 sit-ups a day,” she told PEOPLE. “So he lifts weights and that’s what he’s doing. Just running, working out and then a lot of push-ups and sit-ups. He’s doing over 1,000 sit-ups.”

Joe used his workouts as an escape during his time behind bars, his wife said.

“I said just get your mind and body in check. It’ll be good for you,” Teresa explained. “He’s been through a lot with losing his dad and then me gone, it’s a lot.”

By Dave Quinn
    THREADS
    Celebrities studying martial arts?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

***** on FIRE!

...on fire! ouch.

More on Gandulla

‘Throat slit and his ***** lit on fire.’ Trial starts in case tied to MMA fighters, market mogul
    BY DAVID OVALLE
    OCTOBER 28, 2019 01:57 PM, UPDATED OCTOBER 28, 2019 05:47 PM
    Play Video
    Duration 1:43
    Comienza juicio de conspiración de asesinato para ex combatiente de MMA en Miami involucrado con dueño de supermercado Presidente

Declaraciones de apertura en el juicio de ex combatientes de MMA acusados de asesinato por tortura de Camilo Salazar, supuestamente a instancias del propietario de Supermercados Presidente. BY VIDEO COMPARTIDO / EDITADO POR CHARLES TRAINOR JR.

More than eight years after Camilo Salazar’s body was discovered at a brush fire near the Everglades, jurors heard a sordid backstory of his demise — a secret affair, a wealthy and jealous husband, and a murder plot hashed out at a Miami mixed-martial arts gym.

“Hell hath no fury like a man scorned,” Miami-Dade prosecutor Justin Funck told jurors. “Kidnapped, held hostage, tortured, beaten about the head, throat slit and his ***** lit on fire.”

The mastermind, prosecutors told jurors Monday, was Manuel Marin, the rich owner of a string of Presidente Supermarkets, whose wife was cheating on him with Salazar. And while Marin was not yet facing a jury, two of his accused cohorts started their trials on Monday in a sensational only-in-Miami murder case.

Sitting at the defendant’s box was Alexis Vila Perdomo, 48, a former mixed-martial arts fighter and Cuban wrestling champ who is accused of setting up the plot; and Roberto Isaac, 63, a gym buddy accused of taking part in the killing.

Prosecutors are relying on detailed cellphone records, placing Vila in the thick of the plot, and Marin and Isaac at the murder scene. Also, there’s the testimony of star witness Ariel “The Panther” Gandulla, an ex-MMA fighter who is doing prison time for helping in the kidnapping.

Defense lawyers told jurors their clients were innocent.

Vila was in Las Vegas training for a fight, and phone records don’t prove he knew what was going to happen to the victim, defense lawyer Ted Mastos said.

“You will not find a scintilla of evidence that my client ever agreed to a kidnapping or a murder,” Mastos said.

Isaac’s lawyer said Gandulla was “raw-dog lying” to save his own skin — his fingerprint was found on the victim’s car.

“The evidence is not going to show Roberto killed Camilo,” defense lawyer Michael Walsh said.

Marin, who helped establish Miami’s Presidente Supermarkets, ran several stores before he disappeared to Europe shortly after the killing. He remained a fugitive until he was captured in Madrid last year.

Marin remains jailed in Miami, also charged with murder, and won’t go on trial until next year.

Camilo Salazar - FAMILY PHOTO

Salazar’s murder was a mystery when his charred corpse was found in June 2011. A businessman, Salazar lived in Coconut Grove with his wife and newborn baby.

But Salazar had a secret — he was having an affair with an old flame, Jenny Marin, the wife of the supermarket owner. Prosecutors said Manuel Marin confronted the two lovers at a cafe in South Miami-Dade.

“This case is about a man who discovered his wife was cheating on him, hunted his wife’s lover and killed him in the most vicious way possible,” said prosecutor Funck, who is trying the case with Gail Levine.

Salazar was last seen alive on June 1, 2011, after he dropped off his 3-week-old child at the office of his wife just before 10 a.m. He was supposed to return 45 minutes later but he vanished and stopped answering his phone. That night, friends found his Chevrolet Trailblazer where he had parked it, less than a block away from his wife’s office.

Prosecutors said Isaac had been watching Salazar, and got Gandulla to help him kidnap Salazar from the street. Isaac posed as a cop and used flex cuffs to bind their hostage.

Driving in a rented truck, the two transported Salazar to Isaac’s home in Wynwood, where he was kept for hours while they waited for Marin to return from a boat trip to Bimini, prosecutors said. Isaac and Vila kept calling Marin, whose phone was not getting reception.

“The cellphone evidence tells the whole story,” Funck said. “Frantic call after frantic call. Waiting impatiently. They waited for Marin to return.”

Finally, after Marin returned, Gandulla and Isaac drove the hostage to Broward County, where they turned him over to Marin — whose SUV was lined with a plastic tarp.

“Camilo knows his life is over. He begins to scream and beg for his life,” Funck said.

Gandulla, spooked and feeling that he’d been duped into helping, ditched the men and drove off — something supported by phone records. He was later told to keep quiet, and fled to Canada, where he tried to kill himself as the details of the murder surfaced after prosecutors charged the men in 2018.

Gandulla agreed to return to Miami, and accepted a 36-month prison sentence in exchange for his testimony.

On Monday prosecutors began delving into the relationships between Marin and the others.

Vila hails from Cuba, where he was a champion wrestler — even capturing a bronze medal at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996.

Sponsored by Marin, he later came to Miami, where he was given a job stocking shelves at a Presidente store. Vila also trained Marin’s son, and ran a wrestling studio.

“He gave my client a job in one of his grocery stores, worked the hell out of him and paid him little,” said Mastos, Vila’s lawyer.

Vila hit the news in 2004 when — despondent over a break-up — he plowed his car into a terminal at Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport, sparking fears of terrorism.

MMA fighters Alexis Vila, Jorge Mas Vidal, and Ariel Gandulla at the Young Tigers Gym in Miami in 2008. Vila and Gandulla are now accused of taking part in a plot to murder. Gaston de Cardenas EL NUEVO HERALD

Vila spent three years in federal prison for the airport wreck. After walking free, he dubbed himself The Exorcist and began racking up victories in the local mixed-martial arts scene at age 37. Prosecutors even showed jurors a photo of Vila and Gandulla with superstar MMA champ Jorge Mas Vidal, who has nothing to do with the case but trained with them at the Young Tiger Gym over a decade ago.

“He was the best,” testified Antonio Goenega, a gym associate who knew all of the men through the fight scene.

The trial is expected to last over a week before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Miguel de la O.

Attorney Ted Mastos and his client Alexis Vila Perdomo before the opening statements in the trial of ex-MMA fighters accused of the torture murder of Camilo Salazar, allegedly at the behest of the owner of a string of Presidente Supermarkets in Miami, Florida. Opening statements were Oct. 28, 2019. CHARLES TRAINOR JR. CTRAINOR@MIAMIHERALD.COM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

fined 1,000 euro

1000 euro = $1117.04 USD

NOVEMBER 1, 2019 / 7:59 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
    Mixed martial arts star McGregor convicted of assault, fined 1,000 euro
    1 MIN READ

Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Conor McGregor attends a news conference in Moscow, Russia, October 24, 2019. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
    DUBLIN (Reuters) - Irish mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor was convicted on Friday of assault for punching a man in a Dublin pub in April and was fined 1,000 euros.

The 31-year-old twice Ultimate Fighting Championship title-holder, was released after pleading guilty and apologizing to his victim in Dublin’s District Court.

The man who was punched said in a letter to the court that he accepted McGregor’s apology.

McGregor was charged in a separate case in April 2018 with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief after police said he attacked a charter bus in New York carrying UFC fighters.

He pleaded guilty to a reduced disorderly conduct charge in that case.

Reporting by Conor Humphries; Editing by Hugh Lawson
    THREADS
    Conor McGregor Notorious
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Austin Baker

RIP Aaron Rajman

Fifth person charged in MMA fighter’s 2017 murder; one more arrest possible
    By Eliot Kleinberg
    Posted Nov 29, 2019 at 1:42 PM

A grand jury indicted Austin Baker of West Palm Beach on murder and home-invasion charges in the July 2017 murder of Aaron Rajman in suburban Boca Raton, an attorney said Friday.

WEST PALM BEACH — A man already in prison has become the fifth person charged in the July 2017 killing of mixed martial arts fighter Aaron Rajman at Rajman’s home west of Boca Raton.

Austin Baker, 27, of West Palm Beach, was indicted just weeks after a fourth person was charged. Two of the three initially charged in the slaying already have been handed prison terms.

The Palm Beach Post homicides tracker records and remembers homicide victims from Palm Beach County

Baker was booked Wednesday night at the Palm Beach County Jail and remained there Friday morning. A judge Thursday set no bail.

Baker is charged with first-degree murder with a firearm and two counts of home-invasion robbery with a firearm.

He had been in state prison after getting a two-year sentence in March on Palm Beach County convictions for burglary and being a felon with a gun.

Because courts were closed Friday for the Thanksgiving Day weekend, Baker’s indictment was not available.

But West Palm Beach attorney Gregg Lerman, who represents co-defendant Cameron Burgess-Clark, confirmed Baker is charged in the Rajman slaying. He said he is not representing Baker. He also had no comment either on Burgess-Clark or the case.

The Nov. 7 indictment of Cameron Burgess-Clark, 25, is vague about his role in the confrontation. Burgess-Clark was booked Nov. 13 and remained in jail Friday on no bail. He faces the same charges as Baker.

The three others charged in Rajman’s murder — Summer Church, Jace Swinton and Roberto Ortiz — also were indicted, and state laws keep grand jury presentments out of the public record until the case goes before a judge.

Blacked out parts of Burgess-Clark’s indictment indicated two others were involved, so a sixth arrest is possible.

On Aug. 31, 2017, a grand jury indicted Church, Swinton and Ortiz.

It alleged the trio went into Rajman’s home, in a neighborhood south of Palmetto Park Road and near State Road 7 and Lyons Road, at about 10:30 p.m. July 3, 2017.

Palm Beach County sheriff’s reports have said a fight broke out and Rajman was fatally shot. The indictment alleges Church, Swinton and Ortiz stole swords, marijuana, a scale, narcotics and money in what authorities have said appeared to have been a targeted home invasion.

In July, Church, who was 16 at the time of the killing, and Swinton, who was 18, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and were sentenced to 10 years in prison and another 10 years of probation. The case of Ortiz, who was 18 at the time of the slaying, remains active.

Palm Beach County court records show 10 felony arrests for Baker in as many years. For six of those years, 2010 to 2016, he’d been in prison on Palm Beach County convictions for burglary and grand theft.

Staff writer Olivia Hitchcock contributed to this story.
    EK@pbpost.com
    @eliotkpbp
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Alexis Vila Perdomo

More on this case

Ex-MMA fighter Alexis Vila gets 15 years for arranging Miami kidnapping, torture murder
    Miami Herald
    David Ovalle
    ,Miami Herald•December 3, 2019

Miami’s Alexis Vila Perdomo, a former Cuban wrestling champ and Olympic medalist, went to prison but turned his life around and became a rising mixed martial-arts fighter nicknamed The Exorcist.

But Vila is going back to prison — this time for 15 years.

A Miami-Dade judge on Tuesday sentenced Vila, 48, for helping arrange a kidnapping and gruesome torture murder that prosecutors say was done at the behest of wealthy South Florida supermarket magnate Manuel Marin.

“He got fame and fortune as a young person. He was famous in the 3-0-5. People knew who he was,” Miami-Dade Assistant State Attorney Gail Levine told the judge during Vila’s sentencing hearing. “Now, he sits here as who he is — someone who assisted in a murder.”

Vila won’t be going to prison alone.

His associate, Roberto Isaac, 63, the muscle who carried out the murder of Camilo Salazar in June 2011, got two life sentences. “I deserve what’s coming to me,” Isaac told the court.

Circuit Judge Miguel de la O wasted no time imposing the sentence for second-degree murder, conspiracy and kidnapping. The judge called him a “cold-blooded mercenary.”

Flanked by their attorneys and the court interpreter, Alexis Vila-Perdomo, second from left, and Roberto Isaac listen during sentencing at Miami-Dade criminal court. The two men were convicted for their roles in the gruesome kidnapping and murder of Camilo Salazar. Prosecutors say he was murdered at the behest of a former owner of Presidente Supermarkets.

“You did this solely for money,” de la O said.

The sentence came one month after jurors quickly convicted Isaac and Vila in a sensational murder trial replete with story lines of greed, lust and revenge.

The victim was Camilo Salazar, a businessman and interior decorator from Coconut Grove and father of two. The motive for the murder, prosecutors say, was that he was having a long-running affair with Marin’s wife, Jenny Marin.

Prosecutors say the affair enraged Manuel Marin, a former executive with the Presidente Supermarket chain who owned several locations. An avid fight fan, Marin recruited Vila, whom he had helped defect from from Cuba.

At trial, jurors heard that Vila turned to Isaac, an ex-con with a long criminal history who also hung around local MMA circles.

Another ex-pro MMA fighter, Ariel Gandulla, also testified that he was duped into helping Isaac whisk Salazar off a Miami street. Gandulla implicated Vila — who was in Las Vegas training for a fight during the kidnapping — as being instrumental in arranging “the job” for Marin by phone.

The men held Salazar hostage for hours as they waited to deliver him to Marin in a warehouse district in Broward County.

Camilo Salazar in an undated photo with his daughter. Salazar was murdered in Miami-Dade in June 2011.

Gandulla also identified Marin as the man who took the hostage into his SUV, before driving off with Isaac to kill their victim.

Salazar’s body was discovered in an isolated West Miami-Dade field. He had been beaten viciously, possibly with a golf club, his throat slit, his genitals torched.

Prosecutors relied on detailed phone records that placed Isaac and Marin at the murder scene, and Vila exchanging calls from Las Vegas, where he was training for a fight.

Marin goes to trial next year. The sentences for Vila and Isaac were not unexpected — each got the max allowed by law.

But Tuesday’s sentencing hearing still unfolded with some twists.

Both defense lawyers, Michael Walsh and Ted Mastos, blamed the dead man for causing his own demise by cheating with another man’s wife.

“He had no problem being a home wrecker. He was destroying a family,” Walsh said of Salazar.

Levine, the prosecutor, was so incensed that she turned her back to the defense lawyers as they spoke.

Defense lawyers in the case also revealed that Isaac is willing to fall on his sword and testify that Vila knew nothing about the murder plan.

In an affidavit filed to the court, Isaac admitted to talking part in the kidnapping, although he claimed he thought Marin wanted to collect money from Salazar. “At no time did Alexis ever know what I was planning to do for Marin,” Isaac wrote in his affidavit.

Vila’s defense attorney, Ted Mastos, asked for a new trial.

“At considerable peril to himself, this man has had the courage to step up and say, ‘Alexis, had nothing to do with this,’” Mastos said.

Judge de la O declined to grant a new trial. Prosecutor Levine said Isaac’s affidavit means nothing. “Alexis Vila knew the entire time what he did,” she said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jerald Williams

A cop too. tsk tsk...

Attorney: CPD Officer, Who Slammed Man Into Pavement, Used MMA Skills As ‘Lethal Weapon’
    Same Officer Obtained Warrant In February Botched Birthday Raid
    By Dave SaviniDecember 5, 2019 at 10:00 pmFiled Under:Body Slam Video, CBS 2 Investigators, Chicago Police, The 2 Investigators
    By Samah Assad, Dave Savini and Michele Youngerman

CHICAGO (CBS) –– Disturbing video showing a Chicago Police officer slamming a man into the pavement went viral last week and continues to be the subject of an independent investigation by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA).

At COPA’s request, the police department agreed to strip the officer, Jerald Williams, of his police powers during its investigation.

And while Williams can be seen on cell phone video lifting a man off his feet and slamming him to the ground, CBS 2 Investigators found he is a trained mixed martial arts fighter, and videos on Youtube show him using similar maneuvers in the ring.

Williams slammed 29-year-old Bernard Kersh in the 700 block of East 79th Street around 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving. The video shows the man’s head slamming against the curb, and he doesn’t move for the rest of the 40-second video.

Police said officers stopped Kersh to give him a ticket when they saw him drinking alcohol in plain view at a bus stop. That’s when they said he resisted arrest, and spat at and licked an officer’s face.

Arrest report for Bernard Kersh.

The police department called the incident as an “emergency takedown.”

Kersh was charged with one felony count of aggravated battery, one misdemeanor account of resisting police and one misdemeanor count of simple assault. He was also cited for drinking alcohol in public. He was taken to the University of Chicago medical Center.

The family’s attorney, Andrew M. Stroth, said Kersh suffers from mental health issues, including schizophrenia.

Stroth also said he believes Williams used his MMA skills as a “lethal weapon” when he slammed Kersh to the ground.

Keshia Johnson, Kersh’s mother, agrees and said she believes the officer’s actions were “totally excessive.”

“I think that the officer – I think he went about handling my son the wrong way,” Johnson said. “…He could have killed him. That was a really hard blow to the head. I think that the police needs to find other ways of handling people, other than what he did.”

Officers are supposed to follow specialized non-violent crisis intervention training to deal with people battling mental health issues. It went into effect after the death of Philip Coleman in 2012.

Kersh’s family and their attorney said they believe Williams should have followed this training in the incident with Kersh.

This isn’t the first time Williams was accused of misconduct.

He was also the lead officer who got a search warrant for the wrong home in February after gathering incorrect information from a confidential informant. It ultimately led to Williams and 16 other officers raiding a child’s birthday party, pointing guns at an innocent family and leaving children traumatized at the wrong home. Williams, along with the City of Chicago and four other officers, are named as co-defendants on the family’s federal civil rights lawsuit.

At the time Williams obtained the search warrant, he was part of the police department’s Area South gang enforcement unit and had been an officer with Chicago Police for more than five years, the warrant said. Records show police sought a 46-year-old male target and drugs, including Ecstasy, after Williams met with a confidential informant, who is referred to as “J. Doe” in the complaint for search warrant.

Doe told Williams they recently purchased drugs from the target. The warrant documents don’t show police did any additional research to confirm whether the transactions actually happened at the house, or if the target really lived there. CBS 2 Investigators uncovered he hadn’t lived in the building for at least four years.
    Despite this, officers burst into the home using a battering ram while the family was in the midst of celebrating 4-year-old TJ’s birthday party. The family said police ransacked their home and TJ’s birthday cake was left on the floor.

“I thought they were going to shoot me, my brother and everybody else,” said TJ’s 7-year-old sister Samari.

TJ’s mother, Stephanie Bures, said her son now shows signs of emotional trauma and has trouble sleeping. Kiqiana Jackson, another relative who was at the home at the time of raid, said police “mandhandled” and handcuffed her when she asked officers why they were in the house and to show her the search warrant.

“They attempted to put me in handcuffs, but I grabbed the kids [and said], ‘Why are you arresting me? What are you doing?’,” Jackson said. “And the kids are screaming. And I’m telling them, it’s OK. But they’re still grabbing me trying to pry my arms off of the kids”

.This family is the one of more than a dozen CBS 2 interviewed as part of its ongoing investigation into how Chicago Police officers have raided the wrong homes and traumatized innocent families. This was the subject of a half-hour CBS 2 documentary, [un]warranted, told through the voices of impacted families and children.

Nearly 10 months after the birthday raid, Williams was captured on cell phone video slamming Kersh to the ground.

The Rev. Jesse L. Jackson attended Kersh’s bond hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse Sunday and said he believes “it was a case of excessive force.”

CBS Chicago

@cbschicago
    Video Shows Officer Tossing Man To Ground On 79th Street https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/11...source=twitter

2:01 AM - Nov 29, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    19 people are talking about this
    The consent decree mandating Chicago Police reports contains only one reference to “take-down techniques.” The policy notes only that an officer should not use a chokehold in doing so. Officers can’t use force if a suspect is “insulting an officer.” But it doesn’t talk about spitting or licking the officer.

“He was thrown to the sidewalk,” Rev. Jackson said. “He cracked his head, perhaps has a concussion because his head still hurts.

“He needs mental care. But the police had no basis for throwing him down in a way that could have killed him,” Jackson continued. “We’ve seen this before, and it must stop. I hope that the mayor and those involved will move immediately to deal with this police officer and those who stayed silent and did nothing.”

After the incident Mayor Lori Lightfoot tweeted that while the video doesn’t show the entire incident, she found it “very disturbing.”

The Chicago Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) said Williams was in danger and had to take action.

“Tried to de-escalate, the guy was out of control, he was threatening him, and he did a takedown,” said FOP Second Vice President Martin Preib.

On Tuesday, a second officer was relieved of police duties in connection with the incident at COPA’s request, while it continues to investigate.

“It’s a big decision,” interim Police Supt. Charlie Beck told CBS 2. “You change an officer’s life when you do this, but the circumstances warranted the decision.”

A Chicago Police Department official said Officer Williams would not be available for interview.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tyler East

MMA fighter wanted for running from police

KOB Web Staff
    Updated: December 11, 2019 09:59 PM
    Created: December 11, 2019 05:29 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.- Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of MMA fighter Tyler East.

He is wanted for running from the Bosque Farms Police Department. Authorities said he has a felony warrant for his arrest.

East has a lengthy criminal history which includes drugs and traffic infractions.
    A $1K bounty on East. Any NM takers?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This is really a big shock for me