Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Harold Finger

Police say Former MMA Fighter Set Himself on Fire
    By Neil Torquiano Channel 2 News
    8:30 a.m. AKST, February 1, 2012
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska—

A former mixed martial arts fighter set himself on fire on Tuesday night and faces assault charges for striking a woman, according to Anchorage Police.

Police said 28-year-old Harold Finger III light himself on fire during a disturbance around 8:33 p.m. Tuesday.

Officers found him badly burned at an apartment on the 200 block of N. Klevin Street.

According to witnesses, APD said Finger became angry while speaking on the phone with an acquaintance after getting out of jail for one week.

Police allege Finger then punched and kicked a 34-year-old woman in the face and head while wearing leather gloves with hard plastic knuckles.

The victim and two other women living at the apartment took refuge in a bedroom with one of the women holding her 6-year-old son.

Finger said he was not going back to jail and took a can of Prestone starting fluid and doused the door frame and his upper body and then grabbed the child.

The women were able to free the boy before Finger used a lighter to ignite himself, bursting into flames. One of the women extinguished the flames with a jacket.

Finger was taken to a local hospital for severe burns on his upper torso, face, and head.

He faces charges of assault in the first and second degree and reckless endangerment with a no-bail warrant.

Anchorage Police said Finger will be served when he is physically able to be taken into custody.
    Yikes, what a horrible story.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Michael ‘Mickey’ Lee Koonce Jr.

Anyone know him?
    Martial arts fighter arrested in assault
    Victim unconscious after Canon City incident.

Michael ‘Mickey’ Lee Koonce Jr.
    Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 9:14 pm, Mon Feb 27, 2012.
    By TRACY HARMON | tharmon@chieftain.com

CANON CITY — A 22-year-old mixed martial arts fighter surrendered to authorities Sunday after he allegedly assaulted a fellow bar patron early Thursday.

Michael (Mickey) Lee Koonce Jr. of Canon City is being investigated for first-degree assault in the incident, which left a 52-year-old Canon City man unconscious in a Colorado Springs hospital. The victim had bleeding and swelling of the brain and remained unresponsive in the Penrose Hospital Neuro Intensive Care Unit, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The victim was listed with "an unfavorable prognosis," according to the affidavit authored by Detective Michael Miller of the Fremont County Sherifjf's Office.

Authorities were called to the Boomerang Bar, 331 Main St., at 1:23 a.m. Thursday. The victim was found lying on the sidewalk where he was bleeding from his head and the suspect had fled the scene, said Capt. Jim Cox of the Canon City Police Department.

Detectives with the Combined Investigators Response Team interviewed witnesses who were at the bar when the incident occurred. A waitress reported Koonce tried to flirt with two women in the bar but was turned away because the women said they were lesbians.

Koonce then allegedly yelled obscenities at the women and flipped them off. A bartender and disc jockey also reported that Koonce was on edge and being obnoxious.

Staff decided to close the bar early. The victim was holding the door open for patrons as they left the bar.

The waitress reported the victim was yelling "lightheartedly" for people to leave so the staff could close the bar. The bartender said the victim yelled, "Everybody who is with this guy (referring to Koonce) needs to get the (expletive) out," according to the affidavit.

All three witnesses reported that Koonce then punched the victim as the two stood in the doorway. The bartender said the victim fell and struck his head.

The disc jockey reported the attack was "unprovoked" and Cox was unconscious before he hit the ground.

Detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Koonce on Saturday. Koonce, accompanied by his attorney, surrendered to the Florence Police Department on Sunday and immediately posted $10,000 bail.

A court date has not been set yet for Koonce.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not to say that what the Kid did wasn't wrong. It was clearly wrong. But I think this story is a great reason why people who cannot defend themselves should maybe not be so verbally aggressive. Anytime I have ever sworn at or about anyone, especially when alcohol was involved, I have fully understood that violent repercussions were a possibility.

If you are gonna stand at a bar door and say "everyone with this guy get the fukc out" should be ready to defend themselves. Far too often I have had older men think they can speak to me in that way and not get hurt for it. Not to say I always lash out. In fact I usually don't. But I have. And I will again. It never ceases to amaze me when some 50 year old bag of skin stands in front of me and proceeds to swear at me. And they look so surprised when they realize what they have actually started.

I saw an older man be very mean to two skater kids who were just waiting for a bus. He verbally assaulted the hell out of these kids. They then turned on him and started beating him up. I will never forget what the man was saying as he was being beaten. He was saying "hey, what the.... you can`t do this. wait. wait... this isn't legal". Unbelievable that he thought he could treat anyone any way he wanted to and he would be secure. That attitude gets people hurt or killed. In the interest of peace, they need to STFU.

I agree there are some older guys who like to mouth off, thinking they can say anything without consequences. However, there are LOTS of young guys who do the same, and the fact is, if they live long enough, they will become the mouthy older dudes. It's not an age thing, it's an a-hole thing.

But what this fighter did was nothing but cowardly. I don't care how many MMA fights he's had, or how tough or conditioned he is. Would he have been so quick to do that if the guy was an exceptionally large, mean-looking bouncer? And I don't care if the old guy said what he did. If I lashed out physically at every older guy I thought deserved it over my lifetime, I'd be a multiple felon. But that's what should separate a man from a child. An adult should have enough impulse control to not just act out every time he thinks the world isn't going his way. Being a trained person like that is the same as a 3-year-old with a loaded gun...a very problematic 3-year-old. When you're a trained fighter or MAist, you have an added responsibility to conduct yourself as a mature adult; it's simple common sense.

Guys like this also tend to abuse women and children.

When you're in your 20s and 30s, 50-somethings seem like geezers. I used to think like that. But now that I'm pushing 50, believe me, it will come on you faster than you think, then you will be the 'old guy.'
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-29-2012 at 10:41 AM.

I agree with Jimbo

The first lesson in any martial art is control. Never arm anyone any sort of weapon without first teaching control. Above is a failure of catastrophic proportions.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I agree there are some older guys who like to mouth off, thinking they can say anything without consequences. However, there are LOTS of young guys who do the same, and the fact is, if they live long enough, they will become the mouthy older dudes. It's not an age thing, it's an a-hole thing.

But what this fighter did was nothing but cowardly. I don't care how many MMA fights he's had, or how tough or conditioned he is. Would he have been so quick to do that if the guy was an exceptionally large, mean-looking bouncer? And I don't care if the old guy said what he did. If I lashed out physically at every older guy I thought deserved it over my lifetime, I'd be a multiple felon. But that's what should separate a man from a child. An adult should have enough impulse control to not just act out every time he thinks the world isn't going his way. Being a trained person like that is the same as a 3-year-old with a loaded gun...a very problematic 3-year-old. When you're a trained fighter or MAist, you have an added responsibility to conduct yourself as a mature adult; it's simple common sense.

Guys like this also tend to abuse women and children.

When you're in your 20s and 30s, 50-somethings seem like geezers. I used to think like that. But now that I'm pushing 50, believe me, it will come on you faster than you think, then you will be the 'old guy.'
    Of course there are younger guys who do that too. And they live by the same rules as the rest of us, whether they know that or not. I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking common sense. And yeah what this guy did was wrong, but I was not defending his actions or even talking about him so I'm not sure why you went there. He's wrong and he's a j3rkoff, that's a given, I don't think it really needs to be talked about. The obvious is the obvious and we can leave it at that. What I'm talking about is the other side of it where people mouth off and actually believe they are secure regardless of who what when where and why. Whether they are old or young, doesn't matter. I used older examples because it went with the story, but I can just as easily use young examples. There are people out there who will hurt you with minimal provocation. And until we find a solution for that I think it's best not to antagonize people like that. I can give you a 101 ways that they could have ended that shift peacefully. The older man who was mouthing off let his ego get in the way of good sense and he got hurt for it. Moral or not it's what happened and had he just swallowed his pride a wee bit he would have been fine.

If I am in a park alone and there are 20 aggressive youths there I am gonna do all I can to minimize the possible negative outcomes of that situation. Even though it bothers me that I can't do what I want where I want because of people like this, I do not let that take control of my better sense and my reasoning. As much as I want to do one thing, I know it's a recipe for disaster so I don't go there.

So this older guy at the bar felt secure among his people, and he should, but he was overly secure and went too far and got hurt for it. Like I said b4, moral or not, that is simply the reality of it.

So while I recognize that the greatest problem at that bar was the Violent younger guy, I also recognize that while society learns to better deal with violent tendencies it's common sense that you don't antagonize people.

Here's another scenario that always bothered me. A pretty girl makes fun of a below average looking poor girl with social issues. Pretty makes below average girl feel ugly every day all day every time they interact. Everyday pretty tells below average girl just how ugly and dumb and friendless she is. Eventually after a few years of being in the same class as this girl the below average girl brings a blade to school and makes sure pretty ain't pretty no more. OK so obviously below average girl is gonna be introduced to the system. Court, maybe prison, for sure forced therapy(oxymoron). but pretty girl is usually regarded as an innocent victim and she isn't. Of course she didn't deserve to be harmed in any way physically or mentally, but she is not innocent. Psychologically pretty girl has actually crossed the line far more than average girl. Lately we are just starting to address these social ills. But we haven't even broken the surface yet, we have so far to go. But until we find a real solution to handling unlawfully violent people we should refrain from poking and prodding them as much as possible, within reason of course. The man at the bar probably would not have been beaten up had he said "everyone please leave, time to go, closing up, have a great night guys" with a smile. Yeah the guy was slime and didn't deserve respect, but sometimes it's better to just fake it for everyones sake, especially your own. I fake respect people all the time. There are a ton of fools in the world who simply expect you to respect them and sometimes it's easier to just placate these fools when they have something over you. Like the threat of violence. It's not like you are doing anyone a service by mouthing off, getting the snot beat out of you thus exposing this horrible monster. That is not a public service. It's you getting punched out for mouthing off. Moral or not, this is reality. It's not much different than being nice to a superior at work who is not a good guy. We've all done it. It's about survival. When you get the power then you can tell the guy what you think. Now if the barman pulled a peice and was like "get the fukc out" that would have been better than what he did because atleast he would have had control of the situation. When I patronize a venue I fully expect the staff to understand what harm reduction is and how to go about making angry people either happy or gone, peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The first lesson in any martial art is control. Never arm anyone any sort of weapon without first teaching control. Above is a failure of catastrophic proportions.
    It's a failure on both sides, Gene. The Door man also went against proper behavior by swearing and antagonizing the violent offender. If the first lesson in MA is to control your violent reaction then the second lesson is to not provoke violence in others with threatening or offensive gestures. To some people saying "f you" is the same is raising a fist and saying "bring it". Of course the violent guy was the most wrong, but the door man let his ego distort his better judgment and it got him hurt. He made himself a target by being aggressive in a potentially violent situation. If he had the power to back that aggressiveness, fine, but he didn't. I'm not saying the door man did anything criminal or anything, I just don't see him as a purely innocent victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Of course there are younger guys who do that too. And they live by the same rules as the rest of us, whether they know that or not. I'm not talking about the law, I'm talking common sense. And yeah what this guy did was wrong, but I was not defending his actions or even talking about him so I'm not sure why you went there. He's wrong and he's a j3rkoff, that's a given, I don't think it really needs to be talked about. The obvious is the obvious and we can leave it at that. What I'm talking about is the other side of it where people mouth off and actually believe they are secure regardless of who what when where and why. Whether they are old or young, doesn't matter. I used older examples because it went with the story, but I can just as easily use young examples. There are people out there who will hurt you with minimal provocation. And until we find a solution for that I think it's best not to antagonize people like that. I can give you a 101 ways that they could have ended that shift peacefully. The older man who was mouthing off let his ego get in the way of good sense and he got hurt for it. Moral or not it's what happened and had he just swallowed his pride a wee bit he would have been fine.

If I am in a park alone and there are 20 aggressive youths there I am gonna do all I can to minimize the possible negative outcomes of that situation. Even though it bothers me that I can't do what I want where I want because of people like this, I do not let that take control of my better sense and my reasoning. As much as I want to do one thing, I know it's a recipe for disaster so I don't go there.

So this older guy at the bar felt secure among his people, and he should, but he was overly secure and went too far and got hurt for it. Like I said b4, moral or not, that is simply the reality of it.

So while I recognize that the greatest problem at that bar was the Violent younger guy, I also recognize that while society learns to better deal with violent tendencies it's common sense that you don't antagonize people.

Here's another scenario that always bothered me. A pretty girl makes fun of a below average looking poor girl with social issues. Pretty makes below average girl feel ugly every day all day every time they interact. Everyday pretty tells below average girl just how ugly and dumb and friendless she is. Eventually after a few years of being in the same class as this girl the below average girl brings a blade to school and makes sure pretty ain't pretty no more. OK so obviously below average girl is gonna be introduced to the system. Court, maybe prison, for sure forced therapy(oxymoron). but pretty girl is usually regarded as an innocent victim and she isn't. Of course she didn't deserve to be harmed in any way physically or mentally, but she is not innocent. Psychologically pretty girl has actually crossed the line far more than average girl. Lately we are just starting to address these social ills. But we haven't even broken the surface yet, we have so far to go. But until we find a real solution to handling unlawfully violent people we should refrain from poking and prodding them as much as possible, within reason of course. The man at the bar probably would not have been beaten up had he said "everyone please leave, time to go, closing up, have a great night guys" with a smile. Yeah the guy was slime and didn't deserve respect, but sometimes it's better to just fake it for everyones sake, especially your own. I fake respect people all the time. There are a ton of fools in the world who simply expect you to respect them and sometimes it's easier to just placate these fools when they have something over you. Like the threat of violence. It's not like you are doing anyone a service by mouthing off, getting the snot beat out of you thus exposing this horrible monster. That is not a public service. It's you getting punched out for mouthing off. Moral or not, this is reality. It's not much different than being nice to a superior at work who is not a good guy. We've all done it. It's about survival. When you get the power then you can tell the guy what you think. Now if the barman pulled a peice and was like "get the fukc out" that would have been better than what he did because atleast he would have had control of the situation. When I patronize a venue I fully expect the staff to understand what harm reduction is and how to go about making angry people either happy or gone, peacefully.

I went there because you mentioned that you not only have lashed out before, but will lash out again. Also because you seemed particularly peeved when it was older guys. If all it takes are words to make someone lash out, then the one who lashes out is easily manipulated. Whether the other person can beat me in a fight or not, if their words alone can trigger me into responding with physical violence, then it follows they have the power over me to push my buttons.

And yes, I am very aware that people should just keep their mouths shut in many situations. You're just asking for trouble when you say the wrong thing at the wrong time/place, etc. Anybody who's been around the block should know that. Obviously some don't. Then they will live (or not) with the consequences at some point.

I will add that, even if the old guy had had the ability to back up his words, it's still stupid to provoke others. A few years ago, a local guy who was known as an MMA practitioner got into a fight with another patron at a bar (both young guys). For some stupid reason, like an accidental bump or a hard look. They went outside to the parking lot, where the dispute continued. Which led to them squaring off, and the MMA guy slammed the other buy to the ground and began grappling with him. What he didn't know was that the other guy had pulled a knife, and while on the bottom, the guy ended up stabbing him over a dozen times. He probably thought the other guy was trying to punch him. Well, he's dead and the other guy is doing life. Whether one is the provoker or the provoked, you never know who you're dealing with.

In cases like these, the mutual stupidity is astounding.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-29-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Nah, it's not so heated in the moment. You can't assume how you would feel it is the way others would feel it.

OK now I have time...

Why do you assume that lashing out has to be physically violent? Why would you assume that every time I shut somebody down it's me being manipulated in to being negative? That's such a simplistic view of how people really think. I think you know that though, right? Sometimes turning out some rude d1ck turns out to be a very positive experience relative to how things would have been had I just stood there and taken it. Of course I have walked away from far more than I have walked towards, but there are times when a head on approach is where it's at. I can't count how many times I've seen people that were escalating getting shut down early saving us all from having to deal with that. Especially when alcohol is involved. And then there were times where I kept my mouth shut regardless of the wrong being committed because I had no ground to stand on. That isn't weak, it's smart, and the guy in the article who got his ass kicked may have been a real nice guy, but he wasn't very smart and he made everyones night worse by opening his mouth.

Anyways, I said lash out, not beat up. I chose that word on purpose because it was more of a broad stroke. Also there are times when walking away or engaging physically are a bad idea. Sometimes people just need to be spoken to in a nice manner and they come right down. That brings me to my original point which doesn't really have anything to do with the MMA guy and everything to do with how poorly this man handled that situation. He should be thankful he didn't get his friends hurt. It's a cold world sometimes, best not to forget that. This guy let his ego get in the way of good sense and he just had to have that last word. Well he got his. Maybe next time he'll be more responsible with his and his peoples safety. The guy could have just as easily pulled a piece and opened up. It does happen. People get killed for not apologizing fast enough after stepping on some cats shoes. It's wrong, but it's a reality. If you do feel you need to take a stand you best be sure you have legs. That's all I'm saying.

That and the fact that the guy on the losing end is treated purely like a victim. He participated and got hurt for it. He was no innocent bystander.
    Last edited by Syn7; 03-03-2012 at 04:44 PM.

a deadly weapon — his hands

Over road rage. How trivial.
    MMA fighter Fernando Rodrigues accused of using his fists as deadly weapons in road rage incident
    By Ihosvani Rodriguez, Staff writer
    3:39 a.m. EST, March 7, 2012

Just how rough is it on South Florida's roads? Two pool guys found out after a run-in with a bulked-up mixed martial arts fighter.

It started in a most familiar way. Pool service man Juan Uribe and his boss, Michael Caccavella, didn't take off on a green light quickly enough for Brazilian jiu-jitsu competitive fighter Fernando Rodrigues, behind them in a Hummer.

Monday afternoon's incident, along a busy stretch of North State Road 7 in Coral Springs, soon escalated. Before Uribe, 25, of Coconut Creek, could calm things down, Rodrigues, 31, who has served two military tours in Iraq, allegedly pistol-whipped him in the face, then placed him in a wresting hold by the side of the road.

"He was a big guy. I didn't want any part of him," Uribe said Tuesday. "I don't remember much after he hit me."

Caccavella, who also was carrying a gun, said Tuesday that he came close to shooting Rodrigues in order to help his assistant.

"I was ready to shoot him and do everyone on earth a favor. I pulled the trigger, but realized I didn't have one in the chamber," said Caccavella, 54, of Lake Worth. "This could've ended really bad for everyone."

Among the charges against Rodrigues, a Coral Springs resident, are three counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon — his hands.

Caccavella had a black eye and a gash on his cheek. Uribe had fractured bones around his left eye.

Rodrigues, who runs a MMA training facility in Aventura, appeared in bond court early Tuesday, where his attorney tried to argue for a lower bond. But Assistant State Attorney Eric Linder successfully argued that Rodrigues' hands and feet should be considered deadly weapons and he should be jailed without bond.

Everyone at Monday's scene was handcuffed and questioned, but only Rodrigues was arrested.

According to Caccavella, Rodrigues began driving aggressively behind the men after they pulled out of the light. Caccavella said that when he tried to pull into another lane, Rodrigues pointed a gun and yelled obscenities.

Caccavella said he pulled over to call police. As Caccavella was dialing 911, Rodrigues allegedly walked up to Caccavella's truck window and struck him in the face with a gun. He allegedly struck Uribe with the gun as well.

Caccavella said he then drew his gun and saw Rodrigues kicking and punching Uribe. The fighter then allegedly placed Uribe in a wrestling hold. Caccavella said police arrived just as he pulled his trigger.

Rodrigues is charged with burglary of a structure and burglary with an assault for allegedly reaching into Caccavella's truck and striking him. He also faces two counts of aggravated assault with a firearm.

Stefanie "Supergirl" Guimaraes, a mixed martial arts fighter identified as Rodrigues' fiancee and business partner, was in court but did not comment. Rodrigues' attorney, Samuel Rabin, said it was too early in the case to comment.

"We're investigating what happened and hope this all gets resolved quickly," Rabin said.

Rodrigues' biography on American Top Team-Team Sparta website says he recently took helm of the organization's campus in Aventura, where Guimaraes is his assistant. Managers at American Top Team's headquarters said Rodrigues' training facility is an affiliate of the group widely considered one of the top MMA training facilities in the world.

Rodrigues, who has no arrest record, attended the Citadel and was in the Marines. Most of the blemishes on his driving record came in 2002 and 2003, when he got four speeding tickets within a year, records show.

Both Uribe and Caccavella said they are fans of mixed martial arts, but had never heard of Rodrigues.

Staff Writer Barbara Hijek contributed to this report. ijrodriguez@tribune.com; 954-356-4605, or @GeoRodriguez on Twitter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Roid rage perhaps?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

roid, road - the difference is just one vowel

That would have been my first thought too, but I was the victim of road rage earlier this week. This woman got so ****ed because I cut her off that she chased me down in the parking lot yelling racial slurs and calling me an ******* (that's a fair cop - I confess I am an ******* ). No way she was on 'roids. She was a fat, unhappy cow.

Either way, to go to blows and pull guns over a stoplight is absurd.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nothing spells disaster like a roided out untreated PTS victim with firearms in an urban environment.

Eric J. Oria

Mixed Martial Arts Fighter Skips Debut, Dodges Police Warrant
    Updated: Thursday, 08 Mar 2012, 7:16 PM CST
    Published : Thursday, 08 Mar 2012, 7:16 PM CST

North Chicago, Ill. - Mixed martial arts fighter Eric J. Oria, who is wanted by Indiana State Police on an outstanding warrant, didn’t show up for Thursday’s weigh-in and withdrew from his debut fight.

Oria, 24, of East Chicago, Ind., is wanted on a warrant for failure to appear for judicial proceedings for criminal recklessness, a Class D felony issued by Lake County Court, a release from Indiana State Police said.

Oria was scheduled to make his professional debut Friday evening at a northwest Indiana casino, fighting for a national based MMA promotion organization in the featherweight division, the release said.

But on Thursday, he didn’t show for a scheduled media day and official weigh-in for the fight, claiming to withdraw from the fight for “medical reasons,” the release said.

Oria has family and friends in northwest Indiana and the Chicago area. Anyone with information about his whereabouts should call the U.S. Marshal tip line at (888) 805-6119 or text tips to 219-847-4111. All information is confidential.
    I wonder who his opponent was and if he knew...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips