Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I wonder who his opponent was and if he knew...
    I wonder what he did.

Rhys Iles

Same story, different fighter.
    Thursday 15 March 2012
    Sponsored by Lumley Castle
    Mixed martial arts fighter facing jail after near-fatal seafront attack
    Published on Thursday 15 March 2012 09:38

A MARTIAL arts fighter almost killed a man in an attack outside a seafront bar.

Rhys Iles punched John Gibson outside the Roker Hotel and continued hitting him after he fell to the ground.

The 48-year-old, suffered massive head injuries and was in a critical condition when he was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Medics at one stage feared he may die due to the seriousness of his injuries.

Eight months after the assault Mr Gibson’s condition is no longer life-threatening, but he remains “very, very badly injured”.

At Newcastle Crown Court yesterday, Iles, 28, pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent, a charge which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment and which he has previously denied.

His barrister, Robert Adams, told the court: “He pleaded not guilty in October last year.

“At that time the prognosis of the complainant was extremely unfortunate.

“At one time it was believed he might die from his injuries.

“We have now been provided with documentation and it is clear, although he is very, very badly injured, he is not going to die from his injuries.

“It has never been the case that the defendant was said to have used a weapon or kicking. He inflicted these injuries with his fists.”

The court heard, despite the seriousness of the offence, Iles had been on bail.

But Mr Adams added: “He fully accepts he will receive an immediate custodial sentence.

“He would like to be remanded in custody.”

Judge John Milford adjourned the case until April 13 and remanded Iles, of George Scott Street, South Shields, in custody.

The judge told him: “You realistically accept an inevitable prison sentence will follow.

“It will be a significant one.”

Iles submitted a basis of plea to the court, which was not read out.

Prosecutor Julian Smith said: “We are dealing with a series of blows, there are punches when the victim is on the ground, that is what caused the damage.”

The court heard Mr Gibson’s family had been made aware Iles was likely to admit his guilt at yesterday’s hearing.

Judge Milford said: “They should be informed of the sentencing date so they can be here if they wish to be.”
    I've started a complimentary thread to this as there's growing legal fallout: MMA a legal weapon?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its something that MMA does have "unique" to itself, that whole notion of GnP.
    Most MA do teach that when a person is down the fight is over ( unless that person is, of course, still fighting), but MMA does train to keep hitting even while he is down until he either taps out or the ref steps in.
    If I recall the only death in MMA was also do the GNP, yes?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think there have been like 4 deaths now. There will be more.

Judo emphasizes ground work but you don't hear of judoka breaking arms outside of clubs. I would be curious to see if that was different in Japan.

I watched a man lose his legs when he picked a fight with a wrestler who promptly suplexed him and left him for dead. But I imagine that is also a rare event.

I think the problem isn't the art itself. It's the class of American that MMA attracts. Look at crowd reaction. They cheer when dudes get smashed and boo when intricate and amazing groundwork is displayed at a level so far beyond the simple smashy smashy brawl stuff. Wrestling always attracted absolute knuckleheads and the GnP mma scumbag is just the evolution of that. They even have MMA clubs in Walmarts. The American public seems to be overlooking whole aspects of MMA that are far more admirable that what seems to be selling.

I watched some old thing about WWF back in the day and I'm looking at the crowd and I'm thinking WTF are adults doing there without kids? This is the class of people that make MMA popular. The real cats are in a HUGE minority. Unfortunately it makes the whole game look bad when it is actually a very admirable and potentially honourable sport.

Fireman's worker's comp for MMA fighter

It's amazing he got away with this for so long.
    Fireman who competes in martial arts charged with insurance fraud
    April 10, 2012 | 2:04 pm
    Raphael Davis @RaphaelDavis205

Los Angeles City firefighter Raphael "Noodle" Davis was arrested Tuesday by Los Angeles County district attorney's investigators for allegedly filing false worker's compensation insurance claims, the D.A.'s office announced.

Davis, 35, a mixed martial arts fighter, was arrested at his Lomita home about 9 a.m. and is being held in lieu of $30,000 bail. Prosecutors filed four felony counts of insurance fraud against Davis, who allegedly filed for worker's compensation insurance between December 2008 and May 2011. If convicted as charged, he faces up to five years in county jail.

As a fighter, Davis was also known as "Noodle" and had trained at Reign Training Center in Orange County. He began competing in 2006, taking part in such martial arts competitions as the Cage of Fire, the Strength and Honor Championship and the Bellator Fighting Championship, and had a record of 12 wins and two losses. His most recent competition -- which he won -- was on March 24 in Geneva, Switzerland, according the mixed martial arts discussion forum, Sherdog.

Davis also competed against other firefighters and law enforcement officials in events staged by a fighting club known as Badgefights. In a 2009 competition in Palm Springs designed to raise money for charity, Davis won his bout against Los Angeles police officer Phillip Miller.

According to Davis’ Twitter account, he had most recently been working out with fighters Mark Munoz and Jake Ellenberger.

"Just finished running 2.5 miles in 16:44 min. Not to [sic] bad for an old guy!" he wrote last month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So, was he getting hurt in MMA and filing for claims as if it was work related or was he fighting WHILE getting benefits from a claim ??

Love limited articles like that, I was just thinking the same questions as you Sanjuro.

Here's more that explains it

There's a news vid that has even more if you follow the link.
    DA: Firefighter Fought MMA While on Workman's Comp
    Raphael Davis allegedly moonlights as a mixed martial artist.
    KTLA News
    3:52 a.m. PDT, April 11, 2012

LOMITA, Calif. (KTLA) -- District attorney's investigators arrested an L.A. City firefighter Tuesday for allegedly filing false worker's compensation insurance claims while moonlighting as a mixed martial arts fighter.

Raphael "Noodle" Davis, 35, was arrested about 9 a.m. at his Lomita home.

He posted $30,000 bail and was released from custody just after midnight, according to sheriff's booking records.

Prosecutors filed four felony counts of insurance fraud against him in connection with worker's compensation insurance claims filed between December 2008 and May 2011.

Law enforcement officials say Davis was fighting MMA bouts when he was allegedly too hurt to be working.

He was receiving worker's compensation to the tune of $30,000 at the same time that he took part in two fights, according to the DA's office.

As a fighter, Davis has trained at Reign Training Center in Orange County. He began fighting in 2006.

According to the website Sherdog, which tracks MMA, Davis has a record of 12-2.The site says his latest fight was a technical knockout.

His alleged misconduct may not have ever been noticed, had it not been so easy to track his personal life on YouTube and even Twitter.

At 6'3" and 203 pounds, video on YouTube shows Davis appearing to be in very good shape.

And on March 7, Davis wrote on Twitter: "Just finished running 2.5 miles in 16:44 min. Not to (sic) bad for an old guy!"

If convicted of the charges against him, Davis faces up to five years in jail.

When KTLA sought comment at Davis' home Tuesday, no one answered the front door.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Does any one remember the old 'karate wars' back in the late 60 into the 70s? Guys like Count Dante and the old Black Dragon Fighting Society scandals? This thread is cool but this kinda thing has been associated with martial arts for along time.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There's a news vid that has even more if you follow the link.
    Not very bright on his part.
    Yep, he's screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Not very bright on his part.
    Yep, he's screwed.
    Yeah, he should've just let the girl get raped

Quote Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
    Yeah, he should've just let the girl get raped
    What ???

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What ???
    Haha, wrong forum, sorry man, apologies.

No worries dude

scandalous!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Tiger View Post
    Does any one remember the old 'karate wars' back in the late 60 into the 70s? Guys like Count Dante and the old Black Dragon Fighting Society scandals? This thread is cool but this kinda thing has been associated with martial arts for along time.
    Sure, sure, scandals are eternal, but a web forum makes it more interesting. We can be up-to-the-minute topical and discuss the impact on our community. With MMA and our BMA thread, these event do have impact on how we are perceived as martial artists. When an MMA fighter does something really stupid, it reflects on all MMA fighters if it grabs the headlines.

What's more, here in our forum we can archive these news pieces with a little cut, paste and hyperlink to the source. It's great for doing research, much easier than searching microfilm for old news stories. Anyone else remember doing that? That seems so medieval now; it was so much work.

Which forum did you mean to post that on exactly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips