Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Busted MMA fighters and fights

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    More on Wyatt. Worst story ever.
    Who does sh1t like that but is not insane? Sometimes I think they find people sane just because they don't want to see them get off any easier. Emotion has no place in justice. I never understood whether prison was for revenge or rehab? They say rehab, but I see mostly revenge.

SJ. Most parents send their kids to TMA's for discipline, respect and health. Not many parents send their kids to TMA schools to learn to fight. Self defense is just an added bonus. Dads can get their kids schooled up and de-pussified and can sell it to the moms as a great learning experience. It's great that way.
    MMA is something else altogether. It is not about self defense. It's a sport that just happens to be very dangerous when abused. No other game involves climbing on top of somebody and punching them in the face repeatedly. Idiots get carried away. They don't have the intellect or foresight to understand how it could end.
    Last edited by Syn7; 10-03-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Who does sh1t like that but is not insane? Sometimes I think they find people sane just because they don't want to see them get off any easier. Emotion has no place in justice. I never understood whether prison was for revenge or rehab? They say rehab, but I see mostly revenge.

SJ. Most parents send their kids to TMA's for discipline, respect and health. Not many parents send their kids to TMA schools to learn to fight. Self defense is just an added bonus. Dads can get their kids schooled up and de-pussified and can sell it to the moms as a great learning experience. It's great that way.
    MMA is something else altogether. It is not about self defense. It's a sport that just happens to be very dangerous when abused. No other game involves climbing on top of somebody and punching them in the face repeatedly. Idiots get carried away. They don't have the intellect or foresight to understand how it could end.
    Yes, unfortunately you seem to be correct.
    MMA doesn't have an excuse though, Judo and TKD are sports too, far more popular and with far more people doing them and they still TRY to follow a "student code of ethics".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

bummer

Posted: Saturday October 6, 2012 2:58PM ; Updated: Saturday October 6, 2012 2:58PM
    UFC's White unhappy about Stephens' arrest

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The UFC is speaking out about the arrest of mixed martial arts fighter Jeremy Stephens.

Minneapolis police took the 26-year-old into custody Friday morning at a downtown hotel on a felony assault warrant from Iowa.

He was to fight Friday night in Minneapolis, but missed the nationally televised match because he was in custody.

UFC president Dana White said late Friday that he has been unsuccessful in his efforts to cut a deal to get Stephens out on bail.

White says there are two sides to every story and has accused Iowa authorities of waiting purposely until hours before the fight to arrest Stephens.

The UFC website says Stephens is from Des Moines and fights out of San Diego under the name "Lil' Heathen." He was still in custody Saturday.
    For some reason, I'm visualizing Dana at Bad Boys Bail Bonds. I know he's got more than enough bank to cover, but the notion amuses me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Lloyd Raymond Phillips

Another assault
    Martial arts fighter sought for officer assault
    8:21 AM, Nov 26, 2012 |
    Written by Sabian Warren

ASHEVILLE — City police are still looking for a martial arts fighter wanted for assaulting an officer in the downtown over the weekend.

Warrants have been issued for the arrest of Lloyd Raymond Phillips, who’s wanted for assault on a government employee, resisting public officers and simple affray. Police say Phillips is a mixed martial arts fighter from Burnsville.

Phillips is accused of shoving Officer Leslie Torgow as she was trying to break up a fight outside of Magnolia’s early Saturday morning. Phillips then fled.

A second man, Jonathon Michael Aliferis, 21, of Farida Drive, Asheville, was arrested at the scene after police say he put a choke hold on Torgow. He was charged with assault by strangulation, assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting public officers.

Torgow was chasing Phillips, after he had shoved her, when she was attacked from behind by Aliferis, Sgt. Scott Pruett said. Aliferis, a friend of Phillips’, grabbed Torgow in a rear choke hold and took her to the ground. A second officer arrived and tasered Aliferis twice before he complied with the officer’s commands to surrender.

Torgow was treated by EMS at the scene for scrapes and bruises, Pruett said.

Aliferis’ bond was set at $51,000. He is scheduled to appear in court on today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rasul Mirzaev

More on Rasul Mirzaev within this thread and in another one.

Russian Martial Arts Fighter Convicted in Killing
    By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN
    Published: November 27, 2012

MOSCOW — In a case that has drawn renewed attention to ethnic tensions in Russia, a Moscow judge on Tuesday convicted the world champion mixed martial arts fighter, Rasul Mirzaev, of negligently causing the death of a Russian college student during a fight outside a nightclub in August 2011.

Mr. Mirzaev, 26, was born in Dagestan and is one of tens of thousands of immigrants from the North Caucasus who live in Moscow. He was convicted of killing Ivan Agafonov, a 19-year-old Russian student, outside a trendy nightclub in the capital.

After announcing the verdict, Judge Andrey Fedin ordered Mr. Mirzaev released based on time served. The maximum sentence was two years in prison and he had been jailed since shortly after the episode. Family members of the victim said that the sentence was insufficient and their lawyers pledged to appeal. Mr. Agafonov’s father stormed out of the courtroom as the verdict was being read.

Dozens of ethnic Russian nationalists demonstrated outside the courthouse where the police, fearing violence, had formed a cordon. Several of the demonstrators were arrested including Dmitry Dyumushkn, a burly nationalist leader who once headed a group called Slavonic Union that has been banned in Russia as extremist.

Mr. Mirzaev, a featherweight fighter who stands 5 feet 7 inches and weighs about 145 pounds, admitted punching Mr. Agafonov in the face after an exchange of words that allegedly included an insult concerning Mr. Mirzaev’s girlfriend. Mr. Agafonov fell, hit his head on a metal drain cover and died several days later.

Medical experts determined there were some errors in Mr. Agafonov’s care and Judge Fedin noted that those mistakes also could have contributed to his death.

The dispute unfolded outside a nightclub, called Garage, where Mr. Agafonov had been drinking. He was apparently playing with a remote-controlled toy car and exchanged some words with a young woman who had accompanied Mr. Mirzaev to the club.

Grainy footage of the episode, captured by a nearby security camera, seemed to show a brief altercation, with Mr. Agafonov crumpling to the ground after a receiving a swift blow.

Mr. Mirzaev originally faced a more serious charge punishable by up to 15 years in prison, but prosecutors requested that it be reduced. The trial was delayed repeatedly by disputes over the testimony of medical experts and other procedural wrangling.

The case had echoes of an episode in 2010, in which an immigrant from the North Caucasus shot and killed a soccer fan in Moscow, setting off riots in a square adjacent to the Kremlin.

Mixed martial arts, in which fighters use both striking and wrestling techniques, traces its origins to the ancient Olympic sport of pankration, in which competitors were allowed to fight using all powers and were barred by the rules only from biting an opponent or gauging out the opponent’s eyes. Mr. Mirzaev’s future in the sport is uncertain.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Martial artists and MMA fighters

Looking this over, probably the obvious thing is when in the cage, it is two conditioned MMA fighters, conditioned to take punches and kicks.

Outside of that it is an MMA fighter beating on someone that usually has little to no conditioning.

I have watched all the ultimate fighters, and though they may get kicked out, when there are fights outside the ring, the fighters don't really get hurt much.

Like the fight Marlon Sims and Noah Thomas got into on UF 5.

If one of them wasn't a trained fighter, then he would have gone to the hospital.

Noah gets slammed on the concrete, and is like, WTF, instead of knocked unconscious.

I wonder how much harder it would be to find assault and homicide news on a martial artist that doesn't compete in the MMA sport.

There were some big ones that were apparently forgotten.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jac...-Rampage-13689

UFC light heavyweight sensation Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (Pictures) was arrested Tuesday by Costa Mesa police officers following a high-speed pursuit through the Californian suburbs from Costa Mesa to Newport Beach. Jackson was arrested on Felony Evading, Reckless Driving and Hit-and-Run charges and was processed Tuesday afternoon at the Costa Mesa Jail with bail set at $25,000.

Jackson was observed weaving his gray and green Ford pick-up truck in and out of traffic on a flat front tire while talking on his cell phone, according to a release from the Costa Mesa police department. An officer on motorcycle attempted to pull Jackson over but the fighter continued driving south on 17th St and over a center divider at Cabrillo Ave. in what became a chase with local authorities around 1:30 p.m.

Authorities said Jackson drove through red lights and onto the sidewalk on multiple occasions, "causing pedestrians to flee in terror." Jackson collided with a vehicle at the 17th St. intersection and continued driving on an exposed tire rim. The fighter was later linked to and charged for two other collisions on the southbound 55 freeway prior to the pursuit.

Sherdog.com has learned that Jackson was en route to training partner's residence and gave himself up to authorities outside his final destination at 18th St. and Newport Blvd.

"It was reported to me by the arresting officers that Jackson was cooperative and respectful [at the time of arrest], but upset," said Costa Mesa watch commander Lt. Paul Dondero.

A maestro with the sound byte, former Pride Fighting Championship star Jackson (27-8) has been one of the UFC's richer acquisitions in recent years. The extroverted 30-year-old smashed promotion favorite Chuck Liddell (Pictures) at UFC 71 to garner the light heavyweight title in May 2007. Jackson defended the crown once before a dropping a hotly contested unanimous decision to Forrest Griffin (Pictures) at UFC 86 "Jackson vs. Griffin" in Las Vegas on July 5. Jackson and Griffin had previously traded verbal barbs as rival coaches on Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter 7" before meeting in the Octagon.

Photos released by TMZ.com show the former champion face down on the street outside the house during his arrest. It appears Jackson was directed to exit his truck at gunpoint.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22465/ex-u...-life-sentence

A Ventura County, Calif. judge today sentenced ex-UFC welterweight and "The Ultimate Fighter 4" cast member Jeremy Jackson to 25 years to life for sexual assault.

Jackson, 28, pleaded guilty in 2010 to charges that he raped his ex-girlfriend during an attempted burglary.

He was arrested in June 2008 and charged with seven felony offenses, including two counts of forcible rape. He has sat in a Ventura County jail since his arrest.

According to a report issued today by the "Ventura County Star," Jackson pleaded guilty to the charges against the advice of his lawyers following a three-week trial.

"He just got broken down," Jackson lawyer Russell Baker told the newspaper.

The Ventura County Star report added that a female juror asked to make a statement during sentencing but was denied by the judge. Afterward, the juror told the newspaper that she feels Jackson is innocent and pleaded guilty only out of a desire to end the trial.

"I really felt the defendant was innocent," she said.

Ventura county prosecutor Thomas Dunlevy said Jackson could have faced a sentence of 60 years to life and said there was ample evidence to convict him of his crimes, including surveillance footage and a recorded call between Jackson and his ex-girlfriend in which the fighter admits to planning the attack.

Jackson's appearance on "TUF 4," a special "Comeback" season of the reality show that featured ex-UFC fighters, was short-lived. UFC President Dana White kicked him off the reality show after he violated rules by leaving the fighter house to meet a woman.

He was invited back to fight on the season finale and suffered a neck injury in a submission loss to Pete Spratt.

Since that fight in November of 2006, Jackson (9-5) fought just once and won a Total Combat match in March 2007.

Then of course there was the biggest one:
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/former-ufc-...ears-in-prison

“Lightning” Lee Murray will be held down for an additional 15 years as the one-time UFC fighter had his sentence increased from 10 to 25 years by a Moroccan court on Tuesday.

The sentencing comes courtesy of BBC News who first reported the update on his sentence.

Murray was accused and convicted of being a part of the British-led gang that kidnapped a bank depot manager and his family, and then proceeded to rob over $92 million dollars before being captured.

RELATED POSTS

Jon Jones Sentenced in New York DWI Case
    Alistair Overeem Sentenced To No Jail Time for January Battery Incident
    Mike Whitehead Sentenced in Sexual Assault Case
    Former UFC Fighter Hermes Franca Sentenced to 42 Months in Prison
    The heist was the largest in England’s history. Following the caper, Murray fled to Morocco, where he was given sanctuary due to his father’s Moroccan heritage. It didn’t stop the British from pursuing the case however and after being sentenced to 10 years originally, prosecutors continued to seek heavier charges. On Tuesday, they got them.

Murray will now spend and additional 15 years in prison, bringing his total sentence to 25 years for his part in the robbery. Several other members of the gang were convicted of sentences ranging from 15 to 30 years for their part in the 2006 robbery.

The former UFC middleweight’s appeal about the length of the sentencing was dismissed on Tuesday as well. If he serves the full 25-year sentence, Murray would be 58 years of age when he’s released from the Moroccan jail.
    This isn't just someone that beat someone else up outside a club, this is someone that threatened a man and his family with death.

Probably the sickest part is Pat Militech, all I heard him say about it, is he admired Lee's bravery in pulling it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Napitenkah View Post
    Then of course there was the biggest one:
    http://www.mmaweekly.com/former-ufc-...ears-in-prison

This isn't just someone that beat someone else up outside a club, this is someone that threatened a man and his family with death.

Probably the sickest part is Pat Militech, all I heard him say about it, is he admired Lee's bravery in pulling it off.
    I admire the marksmanship skills Charles Whitman used at the University of Texas to kill fourteen people. It doesn't mean I condone what he did but I admire the skill. Similarly I don't think Militech would condone the robbery he's just saying that the guy had brass balls to be able to pull off something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    I’ve sent a lot of overzealous men down to their knees with that... watch the wonderful reaction/whimper you’ll get from that person.

The ‘ginger fist’ really works.

Yeah, that is a level of indifference I can't relate to.

I try to take more in.

I mean I could admire Ted Bundy's ability to come up with schemes to lure victims in and then hide their bodies in the 1970s, even if I disagree with murder.

I could admire the U.S's ability to make invading other countries look justified.

I could admire how Lee Murray, as Pat suggested, made himself a star, by picking fights with UFC fighters and Lee and Pat pushing the story that Tito got knocked out, to do just that, even if I disagree with the dishonesty.

But I would rather see through the veil, and see those things don't matter when you are talking about how you energetically and physically treat other people.

Not busted, just accused

I'd need to see more evidence of this before I'd give it that much credence.
    Gangs drawn to unregulated mixed martial arts scene
    by: Exclusive: Dan Box
    December 18, 2012 12:00AM

INTERNATIONAL bikie gangs are infiltrating the multi-billion-dollar mixed martial arts business, which at the weekend held its annual blood-spattered, money-spinning Australian headline event on the Gold Coast.

Mixed martial arts, which includes the US-based Ultimate Fighting Championship and the local Cage Fighting Championship, is among the fastest growing sports in the world, but remains relatively unregulated in Australia.

Australia's first UFC bout, in Sydney's Acer Arena in 2010, broke all records for ticket and merchandise sales.

Police in Canada have warned their Australian counterparts that bikie gangs are seeking a slice of the lucrative trade.

The NSW government is reviewing its legislation governing the sport, with the explicit intention of driving out the influence of organised crime.

"It's certainly become more and more obvious that there are members of outlaw motorcycle gangs involved in the combat sports field, both in terms of combatants and promoters and trainers," NSW police acting organised crime director Arthur Katsogiannis said.

"You've got these international links, which has led to international networks between gangs, for transporting their drugs, other commodities and firearms."

Police sources said bikies had been involved, both as fighters and promoters, in bouts held at Sydney's Penrith Panthers club, as well as using the sport to boost their influence within the illicit steroid trade.

Australian Crime Commission figures show authorities made more than 5500 seizures of steroids and growth hormones in 2010-11, more than double the year before and the highest in a decade.

One bikie source said gang members were turning to the combat sports industry partly because of the money on offer, but also because the police crackdown on the clubs' traditional activities was proving effective.

"It's working. The late-night knocks on the door, being pulled up constantly for parole checks, it's driving them out," said the man, who asked not to be named. "They see that they can make money here without the constant attention."

Bikies have long been linked to traditional combat sports such as boxing; in 2006, a kickboxing event on the Gold Coast descended into a brawl between members of the rival Hells Angels and Finks gangs.

Mixed martial arts is the most recent, booming sector of the industry, with the UFC alone valued at more than $3 billion and commanding a worldwide television audience in the hundreds of millions.

Saturday's UFC event, held at the Gold Coast Convention Centre and featuring Australian-born fighter George Sotiropoulos among its headline acts, was broadcast live in the US.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fighter shot to death

I considered posting this in MMA Deaths, but that thread is more about cage deaths than crime

Report: Mixed martial arts fighter shot and killed in Benton Harbor
    Nicholas Grenke | ngrenke@mlive.com By Nicholas Grenke | ngrenke@mlive.com
    on January 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM, updated January 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM

BENTON HARBOR, MI -- A 25-year-old Benton Harbor man was shot and killed early Saturday morning and a 35-year-old woman is in the hospital after a dispute on Ogden Street in Benton Harbor according to ABC 57 News.

Gary Alilovich was shot numerous times according to the ABC 57 News article. He was a fighter in the Mixed Martial Arts group Tapped Out and was set to fight on Feb. 16. The woman, 35-year-old Heather Poe is at Lakeland Hospital in St. Joseph with gunshot wounds.

A 28-year old man, Jovan Davis and a woman said to be involved with the shooting are being held in Berrien County jail according to ABC 57 News.

Calls to the Berrien County Sheriff Office and Benton Harbor Police Department were not returned Saturday afternoon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

155 lbs overweight

You'd think if MMA teaches anything of social value, it would be making weight.
    3 plead guilty over medical pot sales plot
    March 06, 2013
    By Chris Conrad
    Mail Tribune

A Medford mixed-martial-arts trainer and three others have pleaded guilty to conspiracy to sell marijuana from nearly 200 plants grown under the guise of the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program and diverted to the black market, officials said.

Robert Dunham Hisamoto, the owner of Samurai Fighting Arts on North Riverside Avenue, entered his guilty plea Monday in U.S. District Court in Medford.

In addition, Charles Lester Reader and Madeline "Mandy" Lafern Reader, who worked with Hisamoto in the growing operation, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to manufacture marijuana.

U.S. Attorney Doug Fong declined to comment on the plea agreement until the trio is sentenced.

Drug Administration Enforcement agents were tipped off to Hisamoto's marijuana gardens while conducting aerial surveillance in August and September 2011.

The agents spotted about 198 marijuana plants growing on a property in the 6500 block of Tolo Road in Central Point, according to federal court documents.

The property belonged to Hisamoto, as did another home in Elkander Street in Ashland.

Another DEA flyover in October 2011 revealed 70 marijuana plants, which meant that a large chunk of the crop had been harvested, officials said.

The DEA checked OMMP records and found the property was approved for 28 patients, allowing a maximum 168 mature plants on the property at one time, court records state.

However, Hisamoto's property on Elkander Street was not an authorized grow site for medical marijuana.

DEA agents searched the Tolo Road site in October and found 197 plots that were believed to have grown marijuana plants, according to court records. Many of the plots were empty because of the harvest.

Agents discovered several pounds of marijuana at the site and interviewed Charles and Mandy Reader at the scene. They told agents they worked at the garden and that Hisamoto was the listed caregiver, court records state.

A search of Hisamoto's Ashland home yielded more than 200 pounds of processed marijuana, according to the documents. Hisamoto is registered as a medical marijuana caregiver for 30 patients, which allows him to possess 45 pounds of marijuana at one time.

According to a federal affidavit, DEA agents then found several of the group's patients. Many of them said they never received the medical marijuana Hisamoto promised them. In these interviews, officials said, the patients said Hisamoto told them his gardens had been damaged by mold and that he also had been "ripped off" and could not provide them with marijuana.

The DEA found that Hisamoto was funneling the marijuana he was growing to the black market for profit.

Hisamoto was at one time active in the local mixed-martial-arts scene. He trains fighters at his gym and promotes fights throughout Southern Oregon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips