Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The reality of the street

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    I mean is anyone familiar with it?
    Very Much so.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Very Much so.

Is it an area where you would be shocked to hear about a violent crime taking place?

ohhhh

hehe i can totally see what you meant now.

Im not at all.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Is it an area where you would be shocked to hear about a violent crime taking place?
    Well, outside of the Jane and Finch area in toronto and certain places in Scarborough, most people would be surprised that a violent crime happend in any given area.
    I am not, but most people would be.

Here you go, reality from the farm! Never stalk a woman carrying a sickle...
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27234386/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Talking

We have to be honest with ourselves, truthful, does the training we do, prepare us for an armed encounter, even a one-on-one ? much less a one-on-more?
    It's all well and good to say that there isn't much we can do or that it's best to run and avoid it, but as the above case shows, that is not always an option, actually from what I gather speaking to a couple of detectives in the violent crimes division, it is typically "impossible" to run.

SO, what do YOU do?
    Im sure the guy that got stabed in the story was not a martial artist, i know my training involved extensive knife and club tekniques that came in very handy many times in the street, i never feard persons with a knife and have desarmed servral knife attacks,but if some one is untrained there is definetly a problem facing any kind of wepon attack,if some one pulls a wepon out the denger level just got elevated,im no longer trying to just defend my self, i will fu,,,ng kill him
    now its him that has to wory not me,its a state of mind nothing else,when it comes to big fish eating little fish ,well im the greate white shark not some one with a knife

I believe he went to pick her up and saw her being assaulted.

How many of us go around "armed"?
    Have a knife on them for example, or carry an "attitude adjuster" in the car?
    How many of us carry "equalizers" with us?
    Concealed items that can be used as weapons to "even" the odds as much as we can?
    How many of us train in a way that we watch our backs?
    most people attack using brass nuckles or knife, im not wory about eather,now if they have a gun that changes things,but other then a gun ,they only get me mad and thats not good for them,im always ready and expecting others to have a wepon cause most are cowerds to face you with out a wepon,so best be ready for that

We have to be honest with ourselves, truthful, does the training we do, prepare us for an armed encounter, even a one-on-one ? much less a one-on-more?
    It's all well and good to say that there isn't much we can do or that it's best to run and avoid it, but as the above case shows, that is not always an option, actually from what I gather speaking to a couple of detectives in the violent crimes division, it is typically "impossible" to run.

SO, what do YOU do?
    the reality of the street is you put the pen in your pocket into buddys face right before the rest of them boot **** you...at least that one guy may think twice about jumping people what with a blue bic sticking out of his ****ing nose

that's about it...buy a gun

I thought this story was just bizarre

I didn't think it deserved its own thread. It's not really relevant to the original posting, but the thread title applies somewhat...
    Martial arts talk lands So. Lee man in the hospital
    Originally published 12:54 p.m., Wednesday, January 7, 2009
    Updated 12:54 p.m., Wednesday, January 7, 2009

FORT MYERS — A conversation about martial arts and extensive knowledge of the art preceded a fight Jan. 1 that sent a South Fort Myers man to the hospital five days later with severe injuries.

John Clifford Estberg, 46, on Tuesday afternoon told a Lee County Sheriff’s Office deputy a man he knows only by a first name beat him after the victim turned to watch a television about 9 p.m. Jan. 1 at the San Carlos Country Club bar, 19137 U.S. 41 South. The person hit on the right side of his face and head and knocked to the ground unprovoked, records show.

Once on the floor Estberg was repeatedly kicked and punched in the face, back and rib cage by the person while a large crowd gathered. After several minutes, two “unknown” patrons pulled the person off Estberg so he could escape.

“Estberg left the area on foot and was picked up by a passerby and taken home for the evening,” an incident report shows.

The injuries worsened to the point he was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital emergency room where he was treated for a ruptured eye, facial fractures, swelling in his face and eyes and bruising on his back and rib cage, according to the incident report.

Esteberg was certain the acquaintance was the person who hit him. The suspect’s name was blacked out from the report.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I didn't think it deserved its own thread. It's not really relevant to the original posting, but the thread title applies somewhat...
    I know a few big mouths that like to watch UFC that probably deserve that.

Lightbulb

If you can't protect it than it is not yours , anyone can come and take it.

I don't comprehend why everyone is taken aback by this I mean doesn't everyone here train armed vs unarmed or multiple attackers type of self defense in their kwoon.

or am I the last of a dying breed of all around Kung Fu practitioners

Reality based Self protection???

Hi, i've read this thread and thought it's interesting to share since we're talking about reality fight; http://www.pragmaticmartialarts.com/...hp?topic=253.0