Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Of relevance to Wing Chun

Of relevance to Wing Chun

I just found the following short clip from a DVD made by sifu Douglas Wong, where he demonstrates some Snake techniques that should be of interest to Wing Chun practicioners.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lKR48H30UG4

Sorry, if it has been posted before.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    I just found the following short clip from a DVD made by sifu Douglas Wong, where he demonstrates some Snake techniques that should be of interest to Wing Chun practicioners.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lKR48H30UG4

Sorry, if it has been posted before.
    I liked it.

Can't see it's relevance to my wing chun. I don't do any hand conditioning that would safely enable me to use finger strikes, finger strikes are overrated in Yip Man lines even within biu gee, and I don't any sideways heading strikes unless I'm well inside working in or getting out of a clinch.

Maybe it has more relevance to mainland styles.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    That stuff either will not work or is such low-percentage to make it useless.
    If you have the position, you've conditioned your hands, don't have much knowledge of submissions and for some reason don't want the uncertainty of just hammering his head, I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, those four criteria make it pretty low percentage!

This just underscores the problem of having nonfighters, like Wong, teaching fighting -- they are the blind leading the blind. They have no significant, useful experience with fighting (and trying to use their "techniques") to draw upon, and so can't develop fighting skill, judgment, or understanding.
    Sorry, do you know this bloke?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Finger strikes can and do work, if you have properly conditioned fingers, something that very few do.
    Look up Shinjo Sensei from the Uechi-ryu and see what he can do with his fingers.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    If you have the position, you've conditioned your hands, don't have much knowledge of submissions and for some reason don't want the uncertainty of just hammering his head, I don't see why it wouldn't work. However, those four criteria make it pretty low percentage!
    That's precisely my point -- people don't "see" because they approach this from a theoretical POV (you THINK it should work). Instead of approaching it from theory, from conjecture, why not approach it from the POV of experience? When, where, etc. have we ever seen it work?

Try this experiment, get a decent opponent, someone with some good boxing, muay thai, MMA, etc. skills and with some decent attributes, then have him put on goggles, and spar with you at 100% -- tell him to really try to knock you out, take you down, pound the living daylights out of you. Then, you try to hit him on the goggles with your fingers. See what happens.
    Last edited by Sihing73; 10-16-2008 at 06:59 AM.

That's precisely my point -- people don't "see" because they approach this from a theoretical POV (you THINK it should work). Instead of approaching it from theory, from conjecture, why not approach it from the POV of experience? When, where, etc. have we ever seen it work?
    Early wrestlers in Virginia were infamous for gouging out eyes, biting off noses, ripping off ears etc... where have we ever seen them!?

Oh.

Try this experiment, get a decent opponent, someone with some good boxing, muay thai, MMA, etc. skills and with some decent attributes, then have him put on goggles, and spar with you at 100% -- tell him to really try to knock you out, take you down, pound the living daylights out of you. Then, you try to hit him on the goggles with your fingers. See what happens.
    Blah blah blah... I don't need to! I've gone the full contact route, and I don't pretend to have the conditioning, the skills or the will to do what that guy was advocating in that vid: and I do know enough good submissions not to need it.

But my point still stands: let me rephrase it as you don't seem to have understood it the first time...

It's low percentage, but...
    If you have the position, you've conditioned your hands, don't have much knowledge of submissions and for some reason don't want the uncertainty of just hammering his head, it would work.

Oh, and Terence... do you know that guy?
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 10-16-2008 at 08:09 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

somewhat relevant:

A buddy of mine and I will debating the use of fixed blades, not wither they work, but more like the size of them and things of that nature.
    We got to the knife used in the move "the Hunted", called the tracker, not an ideal fighting knife to be sure, but a good survival/all purpose type blade.
    His view was that it was too bulky and too heavy and too un-balanced to be of any good as a decent fighting blade, my point was that if one trained with it, the law of specificty would "take over" and and one would be as good with it as ones training allowed you to be.
    He argued not, so I gave him a Khurki, far bulkier than the tracker and mentioned how well the Ghurkahs use them, he was unconvinced so we "sparred" a bit ( as much as one can with a live blade, LOL), he afterwards agreed that someone well trained with a heavier blade can make it work, though we were BOTH in agreement that it is far than the ideal blade for knife fighting.

sanjuro ronin and others.

You have to have a top quality Gurkha to show you what a kukhri(of various sizes) can really do.

As in other activities there are differences between rank and file and the elite.

joy chaudhuri

Early wrestlers in Virginia were infamous for gouging out eyes, biting off noses, ripping off ears etc... where have we ever seen them!?

Oh.
    I see . . . so your evidence is that these things have been done (on the ground and Wong showed it being done in stand-up) by poorly skilled fighters against other poorly skilled fighters in the past. Do you think it wise to base conclusions about fighting on what one poorly skilled guy can do to another?

Blah blah blah... I don't need to! I've gone the full contact route, and I don't pretend to have the conditioning, the skills or the will to do what that guy was advocating in that vid: and I do know enough good submissions not to need it.
    You may have done "full contact" but that isn't what I'm talking about -- I'm talking about drawing conclusions from evidence (experience) as opposed to theory or conjecture.

But my point still stands: let me rephrase it as you don't seem to have understood it the first time...

It's low percentage, but...
    If you have the position, you've conditioned your hands, don't have much knowledge of submissions and for some reason don't want the uncertainty of just hammering his head, it would work.
    And let me repeat, no, you BELIEVE BASED ON SPECULATION that it would work.

Oh, and Terence... do you know that guy?
    He's quite well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    You have to have a top quality Gurkha to show you what a kukhri(of various sizes) can really do.

As in other activities there are differences between rank and file and the elite.

joy chaudhuri
    That was my point Joy...

I see . . . so your evidence is that these things have been done (on the ground and Wong showed it being done in stand-up) by poorly skilled fighters against other poorly skilled fighters in the past. Do you think it wise to base conclusions about fighting on what one poorly skilled guy can do to another?
    No, that was not evidence for this case. I've told you I think it's very low percentage, and I'm not defending Wong any further than to say it could work. I was using that example as one example of how things have been proven to work without video evidence.

It's a long time since I read that article, but I think you should reread it too - I was under the impression that some of those guys mentioned were the pioneers who brought the long-continued traditions of English bare-knuckle and catch to the US, and some of them therefore would have been very capable fighters, not just 'a poorly skilled guy'.

The rest of your post seems to be suggesting based on this one case that I don't understand scientific method, and that my whole logic process is ****ed. Quite funny, but doesn't need an answer.

He's quite well-known.
    OK, I didn't know that.

A guy I know who is highly skilled in WC and other MA's, and has extensive ring, security, and streetfighting experience, and is fairly amoral as regards hurting people, doesn't use "finger strikes" per se, but uses the thumb in the eye, from the inside corner outward to good effect.

It's not a stopper against a fully committed opponent, but he claims it works in situations to stop one guy temporarily while he's dealing with another, or to indicate to someone looking for a fist fight that he's biting off more than he wanted to chew.

Look up Shinjo Sensei from the Uechi-ryu and see what he can do with his fingers.
    I've seen demos of Karate guys that can split apples in mid-air and break boards with their fingers. Impressive. It must take loads of conditioning. But then again, I'd bet these guys can punch like battering rams as well.

He's quite well-known.
    Probably more so in the US. He's been around for decades, one of his books was my first MA-related book purchase in 1977. He has a number of students or associates that you often see in bit parts in Hollywood movies or on TV, Like James Liu (?) who was in Perfect Weapon, and Al Leong, the Asian guy with long hair from Lethal weapon.

He's always been a bit on the pudgy side for a supposedly top class martial artist IMO, but his books were OK.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

None of that related to my VT at all.

The snake style which i think relates to VT body mechanics, in my VT - is quite different to what is shown in the vid.
    My elbow behaviour and Wrist hinge action (connected to my horse) where i develope power/force in actions are not even similar at all to whats in the clip.

It certainly had me laughing though when he mentioned using finger techs on dead rabbits LOL

Just like boards... dead rabbits dont hit back.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

I liked it.
    I am glad . Douglas Wong is a good communicator and one needs to be one in order to put forward the sometimes unusual techniques and concepts that are present withing the kung fu family of styles.

He seems to have the "Kung fu Essence". Or at least that is how he comes across in his videos. I have 3 earlier videos from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch
    Can't see it's relevance to my wing chun. I don't do any hand conditioning that would safely enable me to use finger strikes,
    That is a pity because the relevant hand conditioning can open up your combat options. However, I appreciate that nowadays many people don't have the time to put into such training, specially if the MA school does not have this training in its curriculum.

finger strikes are overrated in Yip Man lines even within biu gee, and I don't any sideways heading strikes unless I'm well inside working in or getting out of a clinch.
    As far as Biu Jee in my lineage of Wing Chun goes, I have been told that there are two versions that are taught. One version is the standard one and the other is the version that is taught to the few. I suspect that the snake type finger strikes will have more relevance in the latter version.

Maybe it has more relevance to mainland styles.
    It looks like it so far, but then I wouldn't be suprised if the Snake manifests itself in one of the Yip Man lineages as well, because I really believe that all Wing Chun has these elements. Maybe a Yip Man practitioner can pleasantly surprise us in this thread.

There is a 5th important and very fundamental factor and that is the internal training that will creat the softness/subtleness needed to execute the required techniques and with the correct energy.

The Snake hints at the internals of Wing Chun. Wong's description of what he teaches as "Female" also hints at this fact.

The Snake (together with the Crane, Tiger and the Dragon) is a logical area of investigation/crosstraining for serious Wing Chun practitioners, that is and as always, after they have built a good understanding of the core style first.

Sorry, do you know this bloke?
    I know the question was not aimed at me, but here goes. Douglas Wong has experience in various Kung Fu styles INCLUDING WING CHUN and has been around for a zillion years.

He has created his own kung fu style called "White Lotus". However, unlike the various hybrid "kung fu" styles that one sees so often nowadays, his system seems to be the real deal.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-16-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    None of that related to my VT at all.
    I believe that it does. Perhaps some sifus who teach it, do not give these aspects any emphasis, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel
    My elbow behaviour and Wrist hinge action (connected to my horse) where i develope power/force in actions are not even similar at all to whats in the clip.
    The Snake element in most Wing Chun will refer to the various finger strikes to vulnerable areas and to the internal/softness training necessary to make those strikes work.

The softness is also relevant in the "listening" ability that is present in all high level kung fu.

It certainly had me laughing though when he mentioned using finger techs on dead rabbits LOL
    That is because he forgot to tell us that he first killed the rabbits with his Tiger strikes.

dead rabbits dont hit back.
    I don't think that anyone will hit you back once you have taken out their eyeball...If they do, then you better run fast...

I see . . . so your evidence is that these things have been done (on the ground and Wong showed it being done in stand-up) by poorly skilled fighters against other poorly skilled fighters in the past.
    I suspect that you wouldn't want one of these "poorly skilled" fighters coming at you in a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff
    Do you think it wise to base conclusions about fighting on what one poorly skilled guy can do to another?
    "Poorly skilled" guys have been gouging each other's eyes and biting noses for centuries. What makes you think that a fighter trained in kung fu cannot do the same?

You may have done "full contact" but that isn't what I'm talking about -- I'm talking about drawing conclusions from evidence (experience) as opposed to theory or conjecture.
    Talking of experience, how many Snake stylists have you defeated in real fights, recently? Actually, how many ANY stylists of kung fu have you defeated, recently?

I am asking a logical question, here!

And let me repeat, no, you BELIEVE BASED ON SPECULATION that it would work.
    Actually it is you who BELIEVE BASED ON SPECULATION THAT IT WOULDN'T WORK!

OR do you want me to send an email to Douglas Wong asking him to gouge somebody's eye for real on YouTube? LOL,LOL,LOL! But then some people would say that the, now blind man, was being compliant....LOL,LOL,LOL!

As I always say, a good laugh never hurts.

He's quite well-known.
    Apparently by the wrong people, as well.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 10-16-2008 at 05:44 PM.