Thread: Of relevance to Wing Chun

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Then I am afraid that you have totally misunderstood the internal approach to kung fu.

You can never and I mean NEVER get anywhere in the mastery of the internals without understanding the SCOPE and the DEPTH of relaxation involved. It is a complicated theory and it is not widely taught beyond a superficial level and hence all the misunderstandings.
    I'm aware of what most people think. It doesn't make sense to me at all, nor to my teacher, nor his. Not that I care, but AFAIK I'm in a very traceable and reputable line of IMA so this isn't something I've made up. I will say this - apparently eventually I should expect to reach a level where I might look "soft" to an observer and feel "soft" and "relaxed" myself, but I should actually feel like an immoveable object to an opponent (i.e. the "needle wrapped in cotton" analogy). However I should expect ~10 years of pain and hard work first, by training very "not relaxed".

I don't understand how people advocate total relaxation will make you faster, harder, stronger. Not possible IMHO. Unless you train those attributes in another way.

Then feel free to contact the sifu or master in the video with your criticisms and "teachings"!
    Why? I couldn't care less.

However, when you do have the required power in your strikes then you need to think about the TECHNIQUES and their possible variations. And areas like the Snake, Tiger, Leopard will widen that scope, but NOT without the complimentary Iron Palm practice!
    So you've got the required power? I don't. I won't ever be satisfied with my level of power. That's what I prefer to develop over my hand shape.
    Last edited by Toby; 10-20-2008 at 04:35 AM.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo