Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Interesting CLF

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Yi Jin Jing

This is sifu Chia Yan Soon, current Jeung Mun Yan of the Singapore Hung Sing Kwoon. Their lineage is the Lei Yan lineage, one of the older ones like Yuen Hai's and Lui Chun's.

Their hoi Jong is different than the typical Hung Sing hoi jong, either way, this set is very interesting.
    well, the first 1/2 is not yi jin jing, it's a CLF opening (atypical as it may be, it's clearly CLF); although at :35 he starts to do something that looks like a typical "internal" move, but then it cuts away before he can finish it;

the second 1/2 does contain some interesting moves: the sequence from ~:38 to :45 actually resembles very closely a movement Chan Tai San taught in an internal sets he showed us once (there was some confusion as to whether that set was NIC, evidently it was not, whatever...), but I don't know the name for it, and I've never seen it anywhere else until here;
    the next movement (through :50) where he shakes his hands is similar to a movement in the version of yi jin jing I learned called "gau dahp seuih" - "Dog Shakes Water" (yes, it's supposed to be like a dog drying itself) - it's designed to "shake out" so-called potentially "stagnant qi" after you have done something like 500 grabs in various arm positions;
    then through :58 he does something that looks sort of like a truncated version of a move called "seung fai kei" - "Waving a Pair of Flags", although it more closely resembles the move in BP Chan's "Ten Taoist" routine called "Pulling Ox's Tail in Reverse" (here, around 1:55); this move is part of YJJ, although it looks very different from the way it's done in the version I do;
    then to 1:04 it look more CLF-ish again, until at 1:06 where he goes into one of several versions of "Tong Jih Bai Guan Yin" or "Virgin Child Prays to (or Worships / Adores / Contemplates - who knows...) Avalokitehsvara Bodhisatva / Kuan Yin", which you see in lots of different sets, YJJ included

overall, it certainly contains classical elements, too bad he didn't show the whole set in order to be able to assess the macro-structure
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 10-25-2008 at 06:24 AM.