I just couldn't resist this. Furry Fu.

Panda man issues Tai Chi challenge
9:15am Friday 24th October 2008

CAN you take down the Tai Chi Panda?

That’s the challenge being thrown down by York martial arts instructor Stuart Harrison, who will be taking on all-comers while dressed as Tai Chi Panda, in the Museum Gardens on Saturday next week.

The challenge is intended as a fun way to promote his latest venture, Chi For Children, which is the name of classes aimed at introducing youngsters to the health benefits of the traditional Chinese art.

“People are more than welcome to try to push me over. If they think they can, bring it on,” said a confident Mr Harrison.

“The stronger they come the easier they are to bring down,” he added.

“My fellow instructor, Betty Sutherland, will be teaching Tai Chi for children on the Saturday and I will be teaching my own style which translates as push hands.”

Mr Harrison, a bronze medal winner at this year’s Tai Chi Union GB competition held in Oxford earlier this year, said his style was all about using people’s momentum against them.

“You manipulate your opponent’s centre of gravity to topple them,” he said.

Speaking of the children’s sessions, which he intends to begin in December, Mr Harrison, 32, said it would be Tai Chi set to a fun narrative.

“It helps to develop cross-lateral movement, balance, concentration skills and focus. This is a tried and tested method for kids.”

Betty Sutherland will be taking the Chi for Children session at the Museum Gardens on Saturday, November 1.

If you would like to take part in the sessions, or if you dare take up the challenge of the Tai Chi Panda, you are invited to turn up at 2pm.

Mr Harrison hopes to begin regular children’s classes in York in December at Roko Health Club, at Clifton Moor and Next Generation in Windmill Lane.

For details on any of the sessions, phone Mr Harrison on 07989 251 771.