Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
But Omar, even the picture you posted shows the secondary colours.

where did that purple, green and yellow come from?
From the link in the previous post:
The three cells per pixel then work in conjunction to produce color. For example, if a pixel needs to be white, each transistor that controls the three color cells in the pixel would remain off, thus allowing red, green and blue to pass through. Your eye sees the combination of the three primary colors, so close in proximity to each other, as white light.
White...or which over color is needed.

It's just combinations of really tiny dots of red, blue and green in varying combinations of intensity that register in the human eye as skittles.

red, orange, yellow, blue, green, indigo, violet. no?
Those colors all exist. They are just not needed in a computer display. I really don't understand how Green mixes with red to get yellow. It's completely counter intuitive to me but there it is. I understand the theory, it's just not intuitive at all.

I also have a feeling that DJ is trying to get me to say that the light emitting from the pixels on a screen combines to produce the colors but AFAIK, if you look close enough at the screen, it's still 3 separate dots. You kind of need to run special software to see it. You need the screen to present a very simply image or there's too much visual noise for your brain to sort it out. The image would be something like a black screen with just a single pixel illuminated. That makes it stand out. That's also why if you want to inspect a new computer monitor properly, you need to run special testing software that basically just cycles the screen from all black to all white and sometimes also through RGB one at a time. It's the only way you can really see what's going on with an individual pixel that is not working right.

DJ seems to be implying that the light combines into a color on the screen. my understanding is that it combines in your brain.