Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the kung fu of clothing.

A true MA needs no clothes !
    Gives a new meaning to "hoda Korosu"
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    hear about the Moyel who specialized in circumcizing elephants?
    Not much pay, but the tips were big!
    Nah!
    I think I heard that he was just "keeping his hand in" while the locals were having a run of girlie births.

Inspiring fashion

There's a vid if you follow the link.
    New York Fashion Week 2012: Brandon Sun Draws on Kung-Fu Movies for Fall Collection
    Marisa Krystian | Feb 11, 2012 5:32pm EST | 1min:56sec

Brandon Sun's life-long love of Kung Fu epics moved him to create a chilling Fall 2012 collection called 'Silent Assassins,' which the designer showcased at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City.

In a unique display, the models were placed in a small circle in the center of the room, leaving viewers to move around the beautifully dramatic installation.

The room, which was filled with smoke, blasted a slow swanky remix of Missy Elliott's song 'Rain,' which added to the show's intensity.

The models were clad in heavy metal bangles, high, voluminous pulled back up dos, long sheer dresses, and of course, fur.

Sun is known for his highly successful, and sometimes controversial, line of fur accessories.

Sun helped re-launch an ad campaign for Blackglama, which featured Janet Jackson, along with his fur accents.

Animal rights organizations were upset by the ads, but Sun doesn't let their views alter his artistic vision.

The colors ranged black, grey, and light brown, to moss and pale rose. The varying textures gave off a range of emotions. The models rocked fur, cracked leather, cashmere-gauze, lace, chiffon, and delicate knits.

Sun told me the pieces in his Fall 2012 line are designed to show the juxtaposition between the extreme violence in old kung fu movies, with the elegance and grace of the character's movements.

Brandon Sun's Fall 2012 collection marks New York's Fashion Week debut.

The 30 year old designer feels there is a huge void in the luxury fur accessory market, and he hopes the Brandon Sun line will be there to fill it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Interesting. You know, when I was thinking of leaving the service four or so years ago, one of the things they mention is the culture shock of not wearing a uniform any more. Basically, the uniform subtly identifies you on so many levels that you don't think about. You have your name on it, which lets everyone know who you are... you have US Army on the left side, just in case people didn't figure that out... you have your unit patch on the left shoulder, so people also know what unit you are from... and even a combat patch on the right, so people also know what unit you deployed with. And there's also the rank, so people know exactly where you are in the power structure. It's like a prepackaged identity.
    They noted that you'll be headed back into a world where nobody knows or cares who you are, what you do, or how important you are to whatever. This wasn't briefed to keep people in the service, mind you, but to give some perspective on what we were headed into. So for us, what you wear is VERY revealing.
    Off duty, I just wear what lets me blend in with everyone else. Except for when I've recently gotten a very obvious military haircut, I don't stand out in a crowd.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    a physical representation of our core beliefs and ideals.
    i wear my old blue jeans, indoor soccer shoes same stuff i train in if im not barefoot, blank black t-shirt, year round. what does that say about me, that im boring?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A true MA needs no clothes !
    Gives a new meaning to "hoda Korosu"
    Is this you, Ronin!!

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    which is precisely why i mentioned mixing all the colors to get black... you wouldn't get white light if you combined only the primary spectrum colors, you need all the frequencies to get white light.
    obviously if it can be explained and described, it must not be true black.
    Actually, that's not true. All you need to get white light is a combination of red, blue and green. Those are the only colors that exist on your computer monitor or TV.

The rest is optical illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    Actually, that's not true. All you need to get white light is a combination of red, blue and green. Those are the only colors that exist on your computer monitor or TV.

The rest is optical illusion.
    well, the optical illusion is that you perceive the light to only be red green and blue. It is in fact a lot more than that. There are spectra that are out of range of perception though such as ultra violet and infra red.

For Light - Totality of the spectra = white light Absence of any light = black

For Pigment - Totality of pigment in the vehicle = black / absence of pigment in the vehicle= white

Light and Pigment work in opposing fashion in this regard and add another layer of complexity to expression artistically speaking.

With painting being the highest form of artistic expression especially when revealed that the artist has or had very keen powers of observation and understanding of his/her craft. There is much to understand. Colour, perspective, line and contour, light and dark, gradients and sudden changes and so on and so forth.

the technical demands to be a good painter are high. It is beyond art for arts sake at that level. Yes everyone can be artistic and creative, but real depth of knowledge of the craft only comes with immersion like any other discipline.

An abstract artist who cannot work technically is a scribbler.
    A technical artist who cannot move to the abstract is a technician.

the true great artists of renown could move from style to style with ease and understanding and in some cases do so as if it was effortless.

Not unlike really good Kung Fu. I find painting to be a great metaphor for martial arts. Call me an egghead, but there you go.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    technically speaking, black is not a colour.

in pigmentation, it is the totality of colour and in light it is the absence of colour.

and white, is the reverse of this.

Lessons from art school you can use!
    Black and white are both the absence of color. There are only 3 true colors in the spectrum. That is red, or magenta, Blue, or cyan, and yellow. All the colors of the spectrum, amounting to probably millions, are a mix of these 3 colors. When printing in color, white background will give a lighter color or shade, and black will add shadow, making it appear darker. I spent over 35 years mixing and matching ink colors. I can detect even the very slightest difference in color shade.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Black and white are both the absence of color. There are only 3 true colors in the spectrum. That is red, or magenta, Blue, or cyan, and yellow. All the colors of the spectrum, amounting to probably millions, are a mix of these 3 colors. When printing in color, white background will give a lighter color or shade, and black will add shadow, making it appear darker. I spent over 35 years mixing and matching ink colors. I can detect even the very slightest difference in color shade.
    35 years and you are not aware that I am speaking of the difference between white light and white pigmentation?

My fellow KFM-er

CMYK are used in print. Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black

So, while you understand 4 color process and offset printing, I am going to have to say that you don't truly understand colour theory.

Why? Because what I am saying is the correct and what you are saying is related to 4 colour process printing only. It doesn't relate to light spectrum colour and how that is opposed to pigment spectrum colour.

No offense taken though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ is right

There's a difference between projected light and reflected light.

Web, like you're looking at now, is projected. Here's a thought - there's no way to project black. All the black you see on your screen is an illusion. It's just the absence of light.

Print is reflected, thus CMYK. Basically, when light is projected on any surface, some rays are absorbed and others reflected. The reflected ones are the colors that you see. Black pigment absorbs all projected light. White pigment reflects all projected light. Yellow pigment reflects yellow and absorbs all the others.

As a publisher for both web and print, our graphic crew is hypersensitive to the difference.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    well, the optical illusion is that you perceive the light to only be red green and blue. It is in fact a lot more than that. There are spectra that are out of range of perception though such as ultra violet and infra red...
    No...I was talking about what Gene just posted. There is no black on a computer monitor or TV. Wanna see what color is stanging in for black? Easy. Just unplug it.

The other part has been cleared up in the past few posts. Projected light vs. pigment are totally different animals. Additive vs. substractive and all that.

Finally, re:
    well, the optical illusion is that you perceive the light to only be red green and blue. It is in fact a lot more than that. There are spectra that are out of range of perception though such as ultra violet and infra red.
    Now you're just being pedantic. Whether infra-red, ultra-violet and other non-visible (to humans) wavelengths should be considered colors or not is sort of a philiosophical question IMO. "Color" is, IMO, just what folks can see. Is "x-=ray" a color? If it is, that's the color socks I'm wearing from now on out. I'd wear and X-ray shirt to work but nobody but the emperor would be able to see it . . .

But as long as you're being pedantic, right back at you. I said:
    All you need to get white light is a combination of red, blue and green. Those are the only colors that exist on your computer monitor or TV.
    I'm pretty sure you can still have white light even in the absence of ultra-violet or infra-red. I never said anything about the full spectrum. I only said "white light". Do LCD computer monitors emit ultra-violet? Not sure. After all, I also only referenced the colours on your "computer monitor or TV".

But Omar, even the picture you posted shows the secondary colours.

where did that purple, green and yellow come from?

what exactly are those shades of red blue and green?

p.s I was being somewhat pedantic yes. especially when I said the difference is in light v pigment.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Is this gonna be on the final?

I'm a little hesitant to answer because I am not quite sure how LCD monitors work. With my old VGA machine or even the TV in my living room, I could answer with certainty that there is still just the three. If we are talking about the actual light being represented by the jpg then I'd say that the it's like how there's nothing but 1's and 2's in the number 10000. You just have to add them up in the right proportions ... although it's just a rough metaphor because adding waveforms together is somewhat more complicated than adding up a bunch of 1's and 2's. ...although I suppose it's not that much more complicated when you get right down to it.

But nevertheless, you can still look back at my posts and see that I have never said that no other colors exist. I just said you don't need them to make white and that the other colors don't exist on your monitor or TV screen . . .

But yeah, just realized that Plasma, LCD etc. may work differently than I am used to. Tried to google it but came up empty so far. Now I'm actually pretty curious how those newer technologies produce color.

p.s.
    Preliminary research indicates that LCD screens are still limited to 3 colors just like VGA.

Last edited by omarthefish; 02-14-2012 at 07:09 PM.

red, orange, yellow, blue, green, indigo, violet. no?