Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lau Bun Elephant Form

Lau Bun Elephant Form

Anyone on here know this form? Are there any videos of the whole thing anywhere?

It sounds interesting. I know some of you guys hate sharing forms but if I can get some information then I'll be thankful.
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

Aaradia on DL just completed a seminar on that form, you can read her review here.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    aw, c'mon Frank. We all know, you don't get it for years.

"after two years, I thought I was pretty good.
    Now, twenty years later, I think I'm not so good"
    -quote from Budokan website
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    ahhhh next subject pls.
    Yeah I know. Your secret form. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask though, ya know.
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

who held that seminar?

just learning the form isn't enough. you can have the form, but "DO YOU HAVE IT?" is what im asking?
    It would seem that it was held by your old buddy Doc Fai Wong.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    has anybody seen DFW's Joi Bot Sien?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I have seen this odd form taught a few times back in the 1960's.

If I see it again, it wont be hard to recognise.

It has some odd angles in the form.

I'll try dig up some pictures of Lau Bun with the poses within the form.

Hmmmm, I know that GM DFW wrote an article about one of the Elephant forms a while ago in a kung fu magazine - does anybody know what issue it was or if I can find it online? This form has always been really fascinating to me for some reason, maybe because I look like an elephant Just, without the long trunk - hehe.

Just passing by.

I got to learn a couple of parts of this CLF set from the late sifu Chan Wai Gong.

He was mainly known as a Contemporary Tai Chi teacher in NYC but was originally from Toisan where he learned CLF and other village type southern syles.

Sorry don't really remember it but I believe one of my training brothers while in Yee's Hung Ga - Bill Fong learned the complete set. He has a school in Staten Island New York.

so, are you saying that this person learned Lau Bun's elephant form, and if so, from whom did he learn it from?
    Nope just that he taught a CLF Elephant hand Form.
    Have no idea who his CLF teacher was.

Here the elephant form from GM Ark Yuen Wong...Does its the same of GM Lau bun?????

at 1 min:16sec .......

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=cv4wvEc93nU

Steeeve

Hello

seisei say:

"classmate jimmy doc fai wong, you must realize that at the time I was learning(1961) sifu was older in his 70's and sickly, so most of the time he would have any senior who came in at the time we were practicing to advance us in moves and then correct us later, in the case of the Elephant I was lucky enough to have been coached by Bob Louie,Jimmy Jew Leong, Roy And Henry from time to time, Bob and Jimmy JewLeong were the reputed masters of this form"

and Doc Fai Wong wrote:

"After Lau Bun died, I did pick up a few forms that I had not learned from him from a couple of Lau Bun's senior students. Bob Louie taught me the Elephant Form, because he knew it best of all..........Sifu Jew asked me to teach one of his senior students the rattan shield and sword set that he did not learn from Lau Bun. I respected his request and taught it. I don't think there is anything wrong with that! We were in the same school and in the same kung fu family."

seisei say:

"When we learned the form,sifu taught us differently from each other..."

and Doc Fai Wong wrote:

"During the time I was training under Lau Bun, senior students like Roy, EY Lee, Ah Foon, Tim Hall, Lucky and his brother Johnny, were all learning the sets the same way. However, Sifu Jew Lang's sets are quite different from the way we learned."

http://www.plumblossom.net/Articles/hungsing.html

Un saludo.

Hello

hskwarriors say:

"At 4:24 of this video, you will see the woman arching backwards in our form called Sup Ji Kau Da. That arch backwards is NOT in the original form. AND PROFESSOR LAU BUN IS PRESENT IN MOST OF THAT VIDEO Professor Lau Bun was known to teach people different ways due to their size and body structure."

- Yes, I know Sup JI Kau Da.

"For DFW to ever insinuate that Prof Lau taught him the MORE AUTHENTIC hung sing clf over what the Professor taught Jew Leong is rediculous."

- and Doc Fai Wong say: "Second, I have never claimed that I teach the original Lau Bun forms. What I said was that I teach the way that I learned from Lau Bun."

"Heck, DFW has a great VERSION of our butterfly knife set, its the same set just arranged differently. "

- False, Doc Fai Wong has a version from Lau Bun of butterfly knife sets, "What I said was that I teach the way that I learned from Lau Bun."

"Doc Fai Wong became a student of Professor Lau just 3 years prior to passing away"

- False; Doc Fai Wong say; "In February 1963 I officially joined the San Francisco's Hung Sing School under Lau Bun's direction.........I did most of the teaching for him for about one and half years before his death on September 6, 1967."

- And also say; "Some of the other students were only there to hang out for social gathering or to sit around and chat. Yet later they claimed to have studied with him for many years."

Un saludo.

Hello

seisei say;

"he had to relearn jimmy jew leongs way"

- Doc Fai Wong say: "However, Sifu Jew Lang's sets are quite different from the way we learned. I don't know what Lau Bun taught him in the old days. Perhaps he learned the forms that way or he changed them on his own. Of course, this is not a problem. He can teach what he wishes..........Yes, Sifu Jew did teach me the gim (straight sword) set that he created. The reason I say that Sifu Jew created the gim set is because I witnessed Lau Bun teaching it to Susan Lam, my junior kung fu sister and the movements are totally different. Therefore I have not practiced and have not taught the gim form that Sifu Jew taught me."

"One other thing in the photos my sifu would not tolerate such a high horse as done in the photos"

- Sure?

http://www.americanhsk.zoomshare.com...addiesifu2.jpg
    http://www.americanhsk.zoomshare.com...ngsingkids.jpg

Un saludo.