Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lau Bun Elephant Form

Hello

hskwarriors say;

"okay, case in point..........

E.Y. Lee's Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen

Sup Ji Kau Dau Kuen (in Part) taught at MY SCHOOL (HSKUSAHQ)"

- I donīt like either of the two versions, I think GM Lau Bun nor.
    They do not have enough strength, no power.

This "Butterfly Knive" form is ours. if you know this set, its the same, however, dfw added in some chan family elements into it though."

- False, You do not know how it is that way in reality.

"but look at how DFW moves compared to my sigung "Jew Leong"

- You can not compare, the camera (Jew Leong) is accelerated, and Doc Fai Wong moves slowly to teach.

"my sifu is also in that video doing the double hatchets......you will notice the difference in movement between our two schools."

- Yes, very different.

Un saludo.

Hello

hskwarriors say;

"DFW's School in 1992

Thats the way they used to look. "

- That is the way in 1992 showed that in the documentary, and you compare with that:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7gzhls57w

Un saludo.

hey Frank

dragon323 maybe wrong on his replies but I think we should leave DFW out of this.

I remember reading that DFW learned Jew Leong's version of the sets b/c it was different from what he learned. That doesn't necessarily means either version is wrong or more faithful just different.

and I am sure DFW probably added modification to certains set so that they seem more unified with the rest of the forms he taught.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    and I am sure DFW probably added modification to certains set so that they seem more unified with the rest of the forms he taught.
    And why shouldn't he? Who doesn't have thier own 'way' of doing a particular movement or set? I think there is a lot of nitpicking going on here.

The 'pop' at 52/53 seconds? Aww, c'mon...this is getting worse than the Wing Chun/Tsun people.

It's all CLF - Gwa, So Chaap. Sure, as the generations continue, there will be more separation/less unification. More and more people are doing the style and everyone has the right to interpret it the way they wish. After all..it's public domain - no one 'ownes' the style.

It's sensless to argue these minor points.

If someone raises a technical question about the validity of a specific 'stylistic change', THAT, I can understand. But this other stuff is just ridonkulous.

And DFW is a good guy, leave him out of this. He is not even here....

hsk warrior, you have been around us tooooooo......... long
    M

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Mike, what if i don't want to leave him out of this?
    Uh, then don't. Whatever...

BTW, I don't think it's so much a 'pop' as it is DFW trying to get his kick up, as he is doing the movement slowly. I think it hardly falls into the catagory of 'Chan-isms" that he may or may not have put in.

What's the video with the "pop" you're talking about?
    棋盘山上砍过树,故宫城里盗过墓,此生行尽天涯路,沈阳儿女就是酷.

Mike,

Try taking a look at more chan family material. You will notice that there is a little explosive "pop" as they spread their hands right before the kick up to the bow. that "Pop" is found ONLY in Chan Family CLF. It is NOT and WAS NOT ever a part of a stylistic expression EVER in our lineage. DFW has lots of Chan Family material, to someone who has completely learned the Yuen Hai lineage, you would know, plus by viewing other Hung Sing Fut San schools, that POP is not and will not be done. it is not our WAY.....its their way.
    All I'm saying is "big deal". So he does that movement a little different, so what? I still think you are nitpicking here. My Sifu didn't do it the same way either, but I think we all understand that there are probably a few ways to pull off the same technique, no?

It's good that DFW had the opportunity to study some different lineages - diversity is what made all our Gung Fu anyway, right?

So what if he does it a little different? He acknowledges his teachers, gives them respect and has probably done more for the style of CLF than anyone in the last 50 years. Plus, he's a super nice guy. You've got to give him his props.

Because of his articles, books and videos - the style is popular all over the world. I don't think it would be prudent to say otherwise.

Not belittling any of your accomplishments, but you really shouldn't be slamming the guy over a forum.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I am also interested in seeing this "pop" thing. Could you please post the link to the video?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Hello

Hskwarriors;

I do not speak English, I have a lot to prepare a reply.
    Online translators are not good.

I've written, because of veiled way, you and seisei, you are constantly telling half truths about DFW.

I'd like you can respond in Spanish, would come to light many "truths" of yourself.

Un saludo.

The "POP" is ONLY a Chan Family thing. That is NOT found ANYWHERE in Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut. So, nah, YOU come awn!

And I speak for the Yuen Hai lineage when i say that too.
    I have to disagree since in the past I have learned Chan Family CLF and we did no such pop-ing...

In fact Chinese martial arts in general has the back straight and don't lean backward to kick (like other known martial arts).

I think the pop-ing is more of different instructors who might have added it in rather than making it a Chan-family thing.

I don't think this chan family guy got pop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocr5S...eature=related

or this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0grS...eature=related

...unless I misunderstood the pop you meant...then i'd be sorry for interupting

I saw the POP, where is SNAP and CRACKLE ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

In your Arse
    Flirt...

Seriously, I think Mike is right, you are nitpicking and you keep this up, you'll be worse than the WC people !

I ain't nitpicking anything. I want to keep my Hung Sing CLF pure, just straight up Hung Sing Fut San style CLF.

but i could see how others think its nitpicking. however, its better that arse picking, nosepicking, or toe jam picking. right?
    Can't argue there !
    Still, you arr venturing very close to WC land and arguing for 100 pages about "bongs".

I think its best to say, about stylistic differences, that:
    "we do it this way in our style, his is fine, but I prefer ours".
    Simple, direct and correct, always.