Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crunching numbers.

Cool crunching numbers.

this morning at work i was pondering martial arts, this forum here, and basic strength training... what i concluded was that in 3 hours i pushed approximately 9 yards of concrete for a footer in a wheelbarrow; altogether their were 18 yards, but two of us equally shared the load. now 1 yard of concrete weighs 4000 lbs(2 tons) and averages out to being roughly 9 wheelbarrows a yard at approximately 440 lbs per wheelbarrow plus 70 or so for the wheelbarrow itself. all in all, each of us unloaded 36,000lbs(9 tons)... so that is 81 wheelbarrows at 500+ lbs in 3 hours; the average push is between 30-80 feet depending on the size of the job and how far the truck can get into the hole. so these are some of my daily thoughts on one aspect of my daily job-training regime... not to mention all the blocks we'll need to use. so... who else has some numbers to crunch?

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    this morning at work i was pondering martial arts, this forum here, and basic strength training... what i concluded was that in 3 hours i pushed approximately 9 yards of concrete for a footer in a wheelbarrow; altogether their were 18 yards, but two of us equally shared the load. now 1 yard of concrete weighs 4000 lbs(2 tons) and averages out to being roughly 9 wheelbarrows a yard at approximately 440 lbs per wheelbarrow plus 70 or so for the wheelbarrow itself. all in all, each of us unloaded 36,000lbs(9 tons)... so that is 81 wheelbarrows at 500+ lbs in 3 hours; the average push is between 30-80 feet depending on the size of the job and how far the truck can get into the hole. so these are some of my daily thoughts on one aspect of my daily job-training regime... not to mention all the blocks we'll need to use. so... who else has some numbers to crunch?
    Your point?
    You do realize that you are not lifting the weight of the wheelbarrow or the total weight of its contents, don't you?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Your point?
    you seem to be a good judge of character... figure it out
    You do realize that you are not lifting the weight of the wheelbarrow or the total weight of its contents, don't you?
    true... but i still push it from point A to point B, continuously until the job is done... i suppose this phenomenom might classify as repetition... are you pushing around 81, 500 lb wheelbarrows in 3 hours? a completely different type of workout nonetheless, yet i am quite sure you can see the obvious benefits of it. this is why i was thinking of this topic at work, just so i could see all the knucklehead responses... eh tough stuff?

you seem to be a good judge of character... figure it out
    true... but i still push it from point A to point B, continuously until the job is done... i suppose this phenomenom might classify as repetition... are you pushing around 81, 500 lb wheelbarrows in 3 hours? a completely different type of workout nonetheless, yet i am quite sure you can see the obvious benefits of it. this is why i was thinking of this topic at work, just so i could see all the knucklehead responses... eh tough stuff?
    Oh yes, indeed, manual labour is quite a workout, no doubt about it at all.
    No intense, but the sheer volume is quite impressive, for a ball juggler

Oh yes, indeed, manual labour is quite a workout, no doubt about it at all.
    i'm glad to see you are a reasonable man.
    No intense,
    i must say you'll have quite a different opinion after one day of doing it... it is a conditioned trade...
    but the sheer volume is quite impressive,
    you're telling me, i had the concrete driver call the owner of the concrete plant to get the tonnage for a yard.
    for a ball juggler.
    who ever can juggle my balls, can play with my balls.

i'm glad to see you are a reasonable man.
    Well, I am not unreasonable.

i must say you'll have quite a different opinion after one day of doing it... it is a conditioned trade...
    By the very definition of "intense", if you can do it for hours, it isn't intense:
    100 meter run = intense
    5000 meter run = less intense

And I have done quite a bit of manual labour in my time, though it usually involved steel and not concrete.

Well, I am not unreasonable.
    that's reasonable enough.
    By the very definition of "intense", if you can do it for hours, it isn't intense:
    100 meter run = intense
    5000 meter run = less intense
    i beg to differ... intensity is relative to the conditioning, so to speak...
    And I have done quite a bit of manual labour in my time, though it usually involved steel and not concrete.
    completely different modes of physical exertions... i would like to get involved with steel, but 'til then, i'll continue to conquer earth.

i beg to differ... intensity is relative to the conditioning, so to speak...
    No, its not.
    Some may want to define it that way, but going full out is going full out and pacing is pacing and intensity is DIRECTLY proportioned to HOW FULL out you go, not at what PACE you go.

completely different modes of physical exertions... i would like to get involved with steel, but 'til then, i'll continue to conquer earth.
    True that, moving around steel beams and steel pipe by hand is very different than moving around concrete by wheel barrow.
    Grinding with a 15lbs grinder all day is quite different than shoveling dirt.

Grinding with a 15lbs grinder all day is quite different than shoveling dirt.
    i don't shovel dirt... i lay block, flagstone, and stone... excavators move dirt. blocks weigh in at 30-80lbs each, depending on size and type, quite different than holding 15lb grinders all day, yet we do use a demolition saw from time to time.

p.s. i mean't to crack a joke about the steel beams comment... so you're puerto rican eh? seen the onion movie yet?? hahahahaha!!!!

i don't shovel dirt... i lay block, flagstone, and stone... excavators move dirt. blocks weigh in at 30-80lbs each, depending on size and type, quite different than holding 15lb grinders all day, yet we do use a demolition saw from time to time.
    Specificity.

p.s. i mean't to crack a joke about the steel beams comment... so you're puerto rican eh? seen the onion movie yet?? hahahahaha!!!!
    Racist, be careful.
    I am actually Portuguese-Canadian, born in Portugal, Canadian Citizen.

I don't think Uki is actually racist SR... I think he's just a buffoon who is incapable of vetting what he types before he posts and who types whatever pops up to the top of his head regardless of the relative intelligence, relevance or appropriateness of the statement.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I don't think Uki is actually racist SR...
    i must admit that it would be difficult to adhere to the principles of racism when one is a genetic mutt or heinz 57... so to speak.
    I think he's just a buffoon who is incapable of vetting what he types before he posts and who types whatever pops up to the top of his head regardless of the relative intelligence, relevance or appropriateness of the statement.
    as i clearly do like to be adamant about in allegory... the pond is never prepared for the stone.

Specificity.
    each to his own.
    Racist, be careful.
    i guess you didn't see the movie...
    I am actually Portuguese-Canadian, born in Portugal, Canadian Citizen.
    must be nice to have burgundy passports...

i must admit that it would be difficult to adhere to the principles of racism when one is a genetic mutt or heinz 57... so to speak.
    as i clearly do like to be adamant about in allegory... the pond is never prepared for the stone.

each to his own.
    i guess you didn't see the movie...
    must be nice to have burgundy passports...
    If the Puerto Rican comment was from a movie, then I take back the racist part.
    Perhaps you can be more clear in the future.
    By the way, specificity is just that, to each his own, to each activity that is.

If the Puerto Rican comment was from a movie, then I take back the racist part.
    yes i was from the onion movie: raw and uncut. there is a scene where they are describing the different races and how puerto ricans are reknowned for hanging from steel beams with one arm... lol. a funny movie that attacks everything and everyone.
    Perhaps you can be more clear in the future.
    highly doubtful... as i am happy with the way i am doing things.
    By the way, specificity is just that, to each his own, to each activity that is.
    i know. that's why i posted each to his own.