Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idiots!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Idiots!

this is where some of the people make it hard on the rest of us

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/27/boy....ap/index.html

no way should an 8 year old have been handling a full auto weapon, i don't care what kind of 'supervision' he was under...obviously it wasn't enough.

a .22 rifle for learning the basics of firearms handling and safety as well as marksmanship skills...maybe a .410 to start learning shotgunning...but, single shot in both cases and under completely controlled circumstances

sheesh this one will haunt us, especially if we get a fully liberal executive and legislative group this time round.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    this is where some of the people make it hard on the rest of us

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/27/boy....ap/index.html

no way should an 8 year old have been handling a full auto weapon, i don't care what kind of 'supervision' he was under...obviously it wasn't enough.

a .22 rifle for learning the basics of firearms handling and safety as well as marksmanship skills...maybe a .410 to start learning shotgunning...but, single shot in both cases and under completely controlled circumstances

sheesh this one will haunt us, especially if we get a fully liberal executive and legislative group this time round.
    I am as about as tree-hugging liberal as you can get on many issues, but this isn't about 2nd Amendment (which, TBH, I support, but in context of rigorous standards of training and teaching appropriate respect for any potentially deadly weapon) - it's about simple lack of intelligence; why on earth are you letting an 8 y/o handle that sort of firearm? heck, I don't let my 4 y/o w/in 50' of me when I mow the lawn!

that instructor should have his license to teach revoked...

then we concur
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I learned to shoot when I was about 10-11, and it was with a Daisy bb gun, and it was always under my Dad's supervision. When I was around 13, I qualified for sharpshooter through the NRA with .22, again always under supervision.
    An eight year old handling a firearm, under ANY conditions is completely insane!
    That story is incredible.The irresponsibility that the people who ran the gun show, and of course the sheer stupidity of the parents for even considering it.
    Well, at least that bloodline is ended.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

oooh, you're going to offend someone

i think it depends on the circumstances.

i learned to shoot a Ruger 10/22 when I was 7 or 8. It was my grandfathers and we only shot it at the family farm at targets w/ a huge sawdust pile as the backstop. otherwise, it stayed in his room and you better believe i knew not to mess with it. I don't believe I ever did but the threat of worse punishment than I had ever received before made the thought never cross my mind...well, it did cross my mind, i take it back...but the threat was good enough to keep me from ever touching it unless it was handed to me at the farm.

i think I just summed up the problem with our society.

i went on to learn archery the summer of my 8th year, again, under very controlled circumstances.

i don't think 8 is too young to start...maybe my idea of a minimum age.

but, certainly not a full auto uzi

My son started shooting RPG's when he was 4. The problem was his parents waited until he was too old to start the training.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

some people have harder and more difficult lessons to learn than others... and then again, some folks have more debt than they can possibly pay off in one lifetime... they'll be disarming the public more aggressively now.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I learned to shoot when I was about 10-11, and it was with a Daisy bb gun, and it was always under my Dad's supervision. When I was around 13, I qualified for sharpshooter through the NRA with .22, again always under supervision.
    An eight year old handling a firearm, under ANY conditions is completely insane!
    That story is incredible.The irresponsibility that the people who ran the gun show, and of course the sheer stupidity of the parents for even considering it.
    I grew up shooting; I was hunting with my dad before I was 10 and got my first doe at age 12. That being said, I SEE ABSOLUTLY NO FRIGGIN' REASON FOR AN 8-YEAR-OLD TO HAVE BEEN FIRING A WEAPON MOST ADULTS HAVE TROUBLE PROPERLY CONTROLLING ON FULL AUTO!!!!

Just because a child is big enough to put s short stock in his/her sholder and pull the trigger does not meen they have the motor control and muscle to handle a full auto recoil. They don't. Most adilts don't, either. Machine Gun Kelly got that monicer because he could actually hit what he was aiming at with a Tommy Gun. If that was a common thing, he wouldn't have gotten named for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

No it isn't. The majority of people just don't have enough common sense to be responsible with firearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

I thought there was an age limit for firearm use in the US, no?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have to support TT's statement.

Darwin Award for the moron who let their 8 year old child handle an uzi.

PS: I still maintain that sensible firearms control is NOT a matter of disarmarment so much as sensible armarment. There is no valid reason for ANYBODY to use an Uzi.

They are too inaccurate for police, useless for hunting, endanger others in the realm of home defense and make sh!tty military firearms.

The uzi is the nunchaku of the gun world.

And back to my old mantra:

Pistols
    Revolvers
    Breach Loading Shotguns
    Bolt Action Rifles
    Last edited by SimonM; 10-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Here the other week a 9 year old boy outside of Pittsburgh accidentaly shot and killed his twin brother with his father's gun
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by naja View Post

No it isn't. The majority of people just don't have enough common sense to be responsible with firearms.
    Do you want to engage your common sense and rethink your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I have to support TT's statement.

Darwin Award for the moron who let their 8 year old child handle an uzi.

PS: I still maintain that sensible firearms control is NOT a matter of disarmarment so much as sensible armarment. There is no valid reason for ANYBODY to use an Uzi.

They are too inaccurate for police, useless for hunting, endanger others in the realm of home defense and make sh!tty military firearms.

The uzi is the nunchaku of the gun world.

And back to my old mantra:

Pistols
    Revolvers
    Breach Loading Shotguns
    Bolt Action Rifles
    Never been a fan of the Uzi, prefer the HKMP-5 or 7 myself and no automatic firearm is needed for civilians.
    Last edited by sanjuro_ronin; 10-28-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I 100% agree.

As a note: although I find firearms slightly distasteful I recognize that they are just tools.

As such I believe that those tools that serve a valid purpose should be available. Furthermore if one of those tools ever becomes useful for me (f'rinstance if I move out to Northern BC which is bear country) I will purchase one. Which I will happily license and store in compliance with Canadian law.

It perplexes me that people get so obsessed over proper regulation and control of firearms. After all most people don't have a problem with proper regulation and control of other potentially deadly tools such as the automobile; nor do many people assert that they NEED a tank just because the army has one and a tank can beat a hummer.

Training, regulation, licensing, background checks, what's the effing big deal?

You wouldn't want a drunk driver buying a truck. Why would you want a person with a history of violent crime to buy a gun?
    Last edited by SimonM; 10-28-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.