Thread: James Terry

James Terry

I'm embarrassed that we haven't started a thread on James Terry yet. He certainly deserves his own thread here. Terry is from Cung Le's camp and fights for Strikeforce...err...UFC He fights again - FOR STRIKEFORCE - on April Fool's. Unfortunately, I can't make this fight.

I just got this press release from Strikeforce
    LOCAL FAVORITE JOSH THORNBURG REPLACES INJURED CONOR HEUN AGAINST JAMES TERRY ON STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGERS EVENT FRIDAY, APRIL 1, LIVE ON SHOWTIMEŽ AT STOCKTON ARENA IN STOCKTON, CALIF.

Justin Wilcox Faces Rodrigo Damm in Main Event; Tickets on Sale

NEW YORK (March 21, 2011) * Josh Thornburg (6-2), of Stockton, Calif., a member of the Cesar Gracie Fight Team who’s coached and cornered by STRIKEFORCE World Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz, will replace an injured Conor Heun and face James Terry (9-2), of Livermore, Calif., in a televised 165 pound catch weight fight of a STRIKEFORCE Challengers Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) card presented by Rockstar Energy Drink at Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif., on Friday, April 1, live on SHOWTIMEŽ at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).

Heun, of Los Angeles, tore ligaments in a knee during training and had to withdraw.

The up-and-coming, ultra-tough Thornburg had won two in a row and six of seven until losing his last start to local favorite and more-experienced Roger Bowling in a non-televised fight of STRIKEFORCE: Feijao vs. Hendo last March 5 in Columbus, Ohio.

Thornburg dropped a unanimous decision to Bowling, who had much to prove after being defeated by Bobby Voelker in his previous start, but the 6-foot, 26-year-old was competitive, rallied to have a good second round and nearly locked up a guillotine in the closing seconds.

“There’s no such thing as a moral victory and I was very disappointed I couldn’t get it done (against Bowling),’’ Thornburg said. “Going in, I was super confident. But I appreciate that I’m getting a chance to come right back and fight in my hometown on SHOWTIME.’’
    Here's past mentions of James:

Cung Le's fighters in MMA

Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz April 11 San Jose

Gina Carano vs Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos Strikeforce 8/15/9

STRIKEFORCE: Diaz vs Cyborg
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i dont think he deserves one any more than a ton of other fighters that are as good or better... i wouldnt call him a top tenner, thats for sure...

whats ur fascination? he's just local?

His roots are in sanshou

We follow the sanshou fighters in MMA. It's a Kung Fu thing...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ah... gotcha...

you should do some coverage of the art of war and legends shows...

We have covered Art of War & Legends

We covered both Cung Le's Art of War in America and Andy Pi's Art of War in China. We've covered Legends as well as Wulinfeng.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Has Terry ever fought San Shou? If not I wouldn't necessarily call him a San Shou fighter. I've seen his fights he looks like just another MMA fighter. I don't say this to insult Terry, I hope the guy goes far, but you are reaching a little bit on this one.

Fair question, Shaolin

I don't believe he has ever fought sanshou professionally. I'm not sure that he has ever even fought it as an amateur. However, when I was introduced to him by Cung Le, Cung said that he was training Terry in sanshou and touted him as a next generation representative of sanshou in MMA. That was good enough for me.

What's more, I've seen Terry fight live. His takedowns are classic sanshou techniques. It's a major component in his MMA arsenal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Terry won

He beat Josh Thornburg - RD1 KO (Punch) @ 4:38. He is now suspended with no contact for 60 days for a right eyelid lac, which isn't uncommon after an MMA fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips