Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last Dragon remake?

bet you dollar for donuts its gonna be beyonce

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    bet you dollar for donuts its gonna be beyonce
    My wife said the same thing. I bet you're right. Maybe Jay-Z will do the remake of "The Last Dragon" theme song.

Omg!

So I'm wrasslin' with a bit of writer's block and decided to do some websearch on Vanity. Flashback time. I just had to share these vids. I confess - these are closet favs of mine.

Pretty Mess
    Nasty Girl

Here's the kicker - I found this on Wikipedia
    Later Life

She formally gave up her stage name "Vanity" and became a born-again Christian in 1994, the year she almost died from the effects of smoking crack cocaine. According to Matthews, after being rushed to the hospital, doctors said she had 3 days left to live and she was on life support. She told everyone in interviews that Jesus spoke to her during this time and saved her if she promised to give up her Vanity persona. In 1995, Matthews was quoted "When I came to the Lord Jesus Christ, I threw out about 1,000 tapes of mine—every interview, every tape, every video. Everything." (Totally Awesome 80's by Matthew Rettenmund, page 57). In interviews she gave during this period, Matthews expressed embarrassment and shame about her "sinful" life as Vanity—from her crack cocaine addiction to her lifestyle and wardrobe choices. Soon after, she broke off all ties to Hollywood and her former life.

In 1995, after a month-long courtship, Matthews married former football player Anthony Smith (he was a defensive end with the Los Angeles Raiders at the time). They divorced in 1996.

In 1996, Matthews became Director of Public Relations for The Genesis Technology Group.

After needing a kidney transplant in 1997, Matthews decided to fully devote her life and work to evangelism. An evangelist and born-again Christian, she now travels to speak at churches across the United States (and sometimes other countries) and currently resides in Fremont, California.

Due to the detrimental effects on her health stemming from her use of crack cocaine for over a decade during her days as Vanity, Matthews must now perform dialysis at home multiple times a day.

Matthews has scheduled her autobiography, Blame it on Vanity to be released in December 2008. It is written, graphically designed, published and distributed by her. She created a special website for the book: www.blameitonvanity.com
    Fremont, CA. That's where our office is. My lord, that lady next to me in the checkout line might be Vanity!!! It gets crazier - I found her website: www.denisematthews.com. Her ministry address - 39270 Paseo Padre Parkway #214 Fremont, CA 94538 - is so freaking close to our office. I ate lunch near there last Tuesday.

I may just have to read Blame it on Vanity....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So I'm wrasslin' with a bit of writer's block and decided to do some websearch on Vanity. Flashback time. I just had to share these vids. I confess - these are closet favs of mine.

Pretty Mess
    Nasty Girl

Fremont, CA. That's where our office is. My lord, that lady next to me in the checkout line might be Vanity!!! It gets crazier - I found her website: www.denisematthews.com. Her ministry address - 39270 Paseo Padre Parkway #214 Fremont, CA 94538 - is so freaking close to our office. I ate lunch near there last Tuesday.

dude you get mega ultra brownie points if u walk in there and ask her about the remake. just get ready for a evangelistic tirade. you know how they feel about dragons.lol

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    dude you get mega ultra brownie points if u walk in there and ask her about the remake. just get ready for a evangelistic tirade. you know how they feel about dragons.lol
    Actually I heard that in an interview someone asked her if she ever speaks with Taimak. Her response was "Who?"

Anthony Wong is much better at acting than he is at kung fu. Got to hang out with him for a night in 2000, really nice guy and great HK actor.

really? i heard he was amazing tai shing pek kwar stylist so idk. but he is an amazing actor hands down best actor in hk. hands down.

He knows some TSPK primarily the pek kwar stuff as most don't learn the monkey (tai sing) part. If I remember correctly he mainly learns from Chow Keung or maybe Seen Lam Yuk but I don't think he learned from Sifu Chan (Chan Sifu doesn't really teach anymore). Chow Sifu's kung fu is really good as I also have studied a bit with him.

As far as acting goes he is right up there with the best. I also like Leung Kar Fai and Lau Ching Wan.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 11-22-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Pretty Mess
    Nasty Girl

Back in the '80s I thought Vanity was one of the hottest women. I wasn't aware of her addiction to crack, though I did see a few years ago somewhere on cable (was it VH1??) about Matthews becoming an Evangelist. As hot as I once thought she was, I don't think I'd want to be on the receiving end of an Evangelical tirade, even from her.

I'll go by and check it out

After all the times I heard the song Nasty Girl, I owe it to her. Besides, it's in my 'hood, if you could call Fremont a 'hood (it's a 'burb that so wants to be a 'hood). I'm by there at lunch occasionally, so I might as well, but not this week. With the holidays, I'm way too busy. I'll report back to y'all when I do.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

kung fu cinema shouts out gene and kfm

i use to go to this site alot, but havent been there so much since i found resources to get updates on hk cinema, but i just passed by at least once a week to see what they got and boom what do i see but a summary of genes interview with rza.http://www.kungfucinema.com/?p=4085

Awesome!!

Thanks for sharing that Doug. I hoped the 'exclusive' would pick up some cross traffic. Hopefully, Kung Fu Cinema's prestige with the industry will make it spread more. Props to KFC - they're a great resource and they credit with a hyperlink!

If you see any more on film sites, please post them here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

rihanna for the vanity role

Dec 22 2008 12:09 PM EST
    RZA Sets His Sights On Rihanna For Remake Of 'The Last Dragon,' Starring Samuel L. Jackson
    'That's the one I'm rooting for,' the uber-producer said of 'Umbrella' songstress.

By Shaheem Reid
    Views 1,756
    Comments 3
    Rating 50%
    Rate this article

* Thumbs up
    * Thumbs down

Add to my Profile
    Sign In/Sign Up

Votes
    Sign In/Sign Up
    Permalink Share Flag
    Adult Hate Spam Other
    * Print
    * ShareThis

If RZA had his way, he'd have Rihanna — for his new film. The Wu-Tang Clan kingpin is co-producing a remake of the 1980s fan favorite "The Last Dragon" with Samuel L. Jackson and told MTV News yesterday he'd like the sexy Barbadian songstress to take on the role of video show host/singer Laura Charles. Popular back-in-the-day vamp Vanity originated the role in the 1985 flick, while Taimak tackled the lead character and her romantic interest, Bruce Leroy (a.k.a. Leroy Green).

"That's the one I'm rooting for," RZA said of Rihanna. "We're keeping that same concept of the girl being in the music business."

RZA explained that several female artists were being looked at for the part, but he thought Rih would be the best choice. He also noted that he and the filmmakers were in the process of finding a new-millennium Bruce Leroy but wouldn't disclose the identities any of the candidates. (Hey, how about Rihanna's pal Chris Brown?)

Late actor Julius Carry, who guest-starred on a myriad of TV shows from the "Jeffersons" to "Moonlighting" to "The Unit" during his almost-30-year career, stole the show in the first "Last Dragon" as Sho'nuff, the Shogun of Harlem. The villain's classic line was "Kiss my Converse!" Sam Jackson has been cast as the hilarious baddy in the remake. (Busta Rhymes played Sho'nuff in his video for 1997's "Dangerous.")

"I'm co-producing and I'll add my martial arts expertise and add my ideas and make a phat film from that cult classic we all loved as kids," RZA explained. "The first draft of the script is in right now. We definitely should be shooting in '09.

"We're gonna make it real classic," the Shaolin general added. "We're not gonna take it back to the '80s. We're gonna try it a few years ahead. Modern times, but a few steps ahead in the future. We got some crazy ideas, but the main thing is still finding that glow. That's still the theme of the film, to find that glow in yourself."

In the original film, black belt Bruce Leroy yearned to reach the highest level of karate training, which involved finding a mythical sensei who could teach him how to find "the glow." Leroy, after getting his butt kicked by Sho'nuff during their finale face-off, learned that "the glow" was in fact his inner strength. He rallied in the fight to knock out the tough Shogun.

Also in the original, Leroy's family was from Harlem and had the first black-owned pizzeria in town. RZA assured, "We still got it [set] in Harlem. But instead of it being a pizzeria, we got it as a Chinese restaurant. We got some elements of the old in there, but we're adding some new elements. One thing I don't think the old movie captured — because they couldn't capture it, [there] wasn't a lot of CGI — was I think some of the action sequences could've been cooler. But this one, we're not lacking that. You will definitely have some crazy action sequences."

RZA and Jackson are becoming very familiar partners. On January 27, RZA is releasing the second soundtrack to the animated TV show "Afro Samurai," titled Afro Samurai: Resurrection. Jackson stars in and executive-produced the animated series.

"He's my man, he's a cool muthaf---a," RZA noted. "Sam loves kung fu movies and exploitation films. I love the same things. I recognize Sam as the big O.G. We as hip-hop artists gotta realize something when we step into other worlds. I'm the master of my world. I'm a bad muthaf---a. I showed and proved that already. I got my footprints clear in the sand. But in Hollywood, I'm the student now. We gotta learn when we're the master and the student."

RZA's next film is Judd Apatow's comedy "Funny People," starring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen and slated for release in July of next year. RZA plays Chuck, one of Rogen's buddies, who works with him at a grocery store.
    i don't think the whole Chinese restaurant thing works. i mean the whole idea was Leroy acted Chinese while his whole family is normal, but if his family owns a black owned Chinese restaurant and he acts Chinese, what the hell can they say? but i do remember there is this soul food and Chinese food restaurant in harlem up on 135 and lenox.

The Last Dragon

If you were alive in the 80's, you might remember this film from Barry Gordy and the good folks at Motown. Since you have forgotten it, they have decided to remake it. I don't understand. But it will have Samuel Jackson as the villain and Rihanna as the girl with the umbrella.

"Umbrella" chanteuse Rihanna has reportedly nabbed the role as a roundhouse-kicking dominatrix, in the upcoming remake of the 1985 R&B martial arts fantasy The Last Dragon.

Rihanna's character wasn't in the original film, but it's nice to see some star power attached to the project. The Last Dragon is one of those select 1980s movie that indistinguishably oscillates between "awesomely bad" and "awesomely awesome." You seriously cannot tell. You'll laugh at The Last Dragon, but you won't be sure whether you're laughing from ironic amusement or because you have Stendhal Syndrome and have been driven mad by the film's sheer aesthetic profundity.

Anyway, the 1985 film featured "Bruce Leroy," a budding martial artist who searches for the ultimate level of martial arts superiority, a.k.a. "The Glow." His nemesis Sho'nuff, "The Shogun of Harlem" (and Samuel L. Jackson in the remake!), pursues The Glow as well and seeks to best Bruce in battle. Prince's ex-girlfriend Vanity also sings a bunch of songs for no reason, other than the fact that the film was produced by Motown Records founder Berry Gordy.

booya:

im looking forward to it personally, plus i love SLJ

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...=dragon+remake
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.