Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just had my first Shaolin Monk lesson!!

Just had my first Shaolin Monk lesson!!

Well, second if you count the Shi Yan Ming seminar I did back in the late 90's

Looks like the Chicago Shaolin monks now have a school in Westmont Il.

I stopped in and had a lesson tonight on my way from dropping my daughter off at work.

I have to say, this guy is ridiculously good.

I took the class on a whim and found my pudgy 40 year old self doing jump 180 crescent kicks, cart wheel and all the standard Shaolin basic drills.

Then I relearned the Lianhuanquan set and discovered I had only been taught about half of it originally.

It's probably been 10 years since I did these. I held up fairly well considering. although i made my self quite dizzy a few times.

It looks like they opened just this week, so if you are in the Chicago southwest suburbs, they are on Cass Ave just north of the tracks.

Wow Shaolin in Chicago, they got a website and whats the street address exactly?

2990 S Archer ave in Chicago

34 N Cass in Westmont Il.

www.shaolintemplechicago.com
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

i wish it were portlands turn already
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The chicago shaolin temple has been at the archer location for almost 2 years now
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I stopped in and had a lesson tonight on my way from dropping my daughter off at work.
    Welcome! Maybe you'll be going back then?

I attend the Chicago school and may visit Westmont periodically.
    "A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And when the opportunity presents itself, I do not hit. It hits all by itself." - Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

We had the grand opening last weekend in Westmont. These monks are quality teachers, are experts, and are very nice. I've been going to the Chicago Shaolin Temple for about 14 months now and have found it exhilarating. Our head shifu, Shi Yan Ju, just took 12 of us to the Henan Shaolin Temple last month where we trained, ate, and chanted with the temple monks. We also met Shi Yong Xin.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. The Chicago monks and a few of us students will actually be in Westmont tomorrow for a Halloween performance around 1 pm. Some of us Chinatown students might go out to the Westmont school on the weekends to take advantage of the big new space too, so it'd be cool to see some of you there.

Amituofo!

Ben

1:00 PM? you say? I may stop by for a visit!!

In will wear a Royal Dragon T shirt so you can spot me.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

They're gonna beat your 40 year old pudgy ass into the ground Gian. lol

just kidding man, good for you for trying to kick it with the freaks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL!!No Kidding!! I am still sore form 2 days ago!!I am trying to get my daughter to come.

I am hoping she will enjoy herself enough to one day join....since she refuses to learn from me

For the Women:

+ = & a

Welcome to our brothers and sisters in Chicago. RD you brought back memories of my first class. I had already trained in kung fu for five years and considered myself to be in peak shape when I went to try out my masters school, but after that class I could barely walk the next day or two I was so sore.

LOL!!

I went in knowing I am out of shape!

One of the interesting things, despite how much the modern MMA types diss forms, I have yet to find a better cardio workout.

I went down there yesterday as well to see the demo and hang out a bit after. That too was a lot of fun. Although I was once again reminded that I have forgotten most of my forms.

Right now my real focus is on the Tai Tzu 32 (I actually butchered that one when I showed it), and the Lao Hong set though, so I really don't have any room for any more, or review of old forgotten sets.

For the Women:

+ = & a

you got shaolin feva????

So are you hooked?? I am glad you are having fun. I haven't found another martial arts school that push you as hard as the monks. Hope you stick with it and it's just the beginning.

hmmmn.

Apparently we have a Shaolin here in Toronto as well.

A Shi Yan Chong.

Now I am interested in visiting! It's not that far from my house either!

anyway...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shi Yanju

I just mentioned Shi Yanju in an article that's going to press. According to Shi Yanran, Yanju was the monk who took the shot to the groin during Leland Yee's inauguration. Yee has been a notable Shaolin supporter and had a Shaolin demo staged at the State Capitol. On his school wall, is there a pic of him getting kicked in the ghoulies by some dude in a suit?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart