Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Legend

Hybrid View

True Legend

Yuen Woping taking on Beggar So with Chiu Man-Cheuk, Guo Xiaodong, Zhou Xun, Jay Chou and maybe Michelle Yeoh? I'm in. I could lose Jay, but after Painted Skin, I'm getting into Zhou Xun.

Matrix choreographer takes the director's chair
    By Keen Zhang
    China.org.cn staff reporter

Chinese martial arts choreographer and film director Yuen Wo Ping announced yesterday that he will direct a new Kung Fu epic entitled True Legend.

Yuen Wo Ping is one of most famous and influential figures in the world of Hong Kong action films, with a series of Kung Fu classics like Drunken Master to his name. But the last film he directed was 1996's Tai Chi Boxer, since when his efforts have been geared to his work as Kung Fu choreographer on a series of Hollywood Kung Fu copycat action flicks such as The Matrix and Kill Bill.

The new film, True Legend, will tell the story of Chinese-style martial arts master So Chan, a wealthy man of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) obsessed with Kung Fu, who fell from grace to become a beggar after he and his family became the victims of conspiracies. However, after reviewing his past and working hard to transform his life, and now honored as "King of Beggars", he rose again as a Kung Fu legend, patriot and folk hero.

Beggar So's story has been adapted several times into TV dramas and films, including 1992's renowned comedy film King of Beggars by Hong Kong directors Gordon Chan and David Lam and starring Stephen Chow and Cheung Man.

Yuen's new star-studded cast will include Kung Fu star Chiu Man-Cheuk, Guo Xiaodong, actress Zhou Xun, and singer Jay Chou. Yuen revealed yesterday at a press conference in Beijing that Michelle Yeoh will also join the cast.

Yuen said this new film will have little by way of comedy -- rather it will be a tragic but inspiring drama. The cast members all told China.org.cn that they have read the script and considered it to be a touching story. How touching will it be? It will move you to tears, they said.

Taiwan pop star Jay Chou will play the role of the all-powerful "Kung Fu God", Yuen revealed. Chou said he is also considering writing and recording the theme song for the film, just as he did with Jet Li's Fearless. Fending off mounting doubts around Chou's participation, Yuen described him as a "cool guy" -- just right for the role and with the potential to do a good job in the film.

Chou, himself a Kung Fu fan, has directed and taken the lead role in two of his own films: Kung Fu Dunk and Secret last year. He also starred in Chinese blockbuster Curse of the Golden Flower by Zhang Yimou. The pop musician's ultimate star power with the younger generation is a factor that film-makers are desperate to exploit.

But Yuen insists Chiu Man-Cheuk, a true Kung Fu champion who, like Jet Li, first won fame in national and provincial martial arts competitions, is the man to deliver the spirit of the film and the leading role of beggar So Chan. Chiu Man-Cheuk's most successful films include Once Upon a Time in China 4 and The Legend of Fong Sai-Yuk.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i remember

yuen was going to do a super hero movie with ekin chueng, it sounded like a weak version of batman i think it was called the black mask or something along those lines, and they were looking for fighters around the world, guess that didn't pan out. i been hearing some things about this film for like a month or so, cast looks decent kung fu dunk turned me off to jay chou as an actor but i'll give him a second shot.

more info from sina

On November 2, Sunday afternoon, a press conference for 《苏乞儿》 True Legend, directed by Yuen Wo Ping, was held in Beijing. The cast for the film includes Zhao Wen Zhuo, Zhou Xun, Michelle Yeoh, Guo Xiao Dong, Andy On, Jay Chow, Will Liu, etc.

True Legend official site, containing production diary, character designs, concept arts, stills, videos, news, etc. was made known, and a short behind-the-scene footage was shown. Doubts were raised by the reporters concerning Jay Chow playing a martial arts doyen responsible for raising Beggar Su's skills since he lacks martial arts and acting ability.

Yuen Wo Ping, who has some difficulties expressing himself in Mandarin, introduces that True Legend has a good quality script, presenting everything in a well-rounded manner, including character developments, from a happy family to it being torn asunder, to the protagonist regaining his confidence, getting a grip on himself... When he showed the script to his wife, she gave him the encouragement to direct the film.

Yuen Wo Ping continues, "While there're some comic relief elements, this is basically a serious dramatic production. It also has very good action scenes and is different from other works on Beggar Su."

Yuen Woo Ping adds that being a director is very a tough job, having to take care of everything. Much more difficult than being a martial arts director. It took him 9 months to a year to go through the script, doing pre-production.

He feels that when doing something that is difficult, you must do it successfully, or your effort would be wasted. Most importantly, you have to do it wholeheartedly.

And he'd come up with something new for each of his films, and accordingly, there'd be quite a bit of surprises in store in True Legend, including "something innovative in the martial arts sequences."

On being asked about the budget and release date of True Legend, Yuen Wo Ping says, "I have no idea about the budget, you have to ask the boss. When I direct movies, what I want, the boss must provide, must meet my requests, or I wouldn't do it. Whatever I need, I just have to tell them. The release date? No idea. We'll know after wrapping up."

Zhao Wen Zhuo, who plays the protagonist Su Can, says that its the script that attracted him most to True Legend, "It's not often that I see martial arts films with scripts that are so moving. I was so touched when I first read the script, I was moved to tears. The character is very moving, and of course, with maestro Yuen Wo Ping directing, how could you turn down this project?

"I've done a lot of preparations for this film. After accepting the role, I began my training. Eighth Master suggested a training schedule, training what he wanted me to do in the film. And most importantly, I had to shed 9kg for the film, for Beggar Su can't be too plump. So I kept up with my training routine and went on a diet. I feel lighter and more agile after losing weight.

"I have long heard that Yuen Woo Ping is especially demanding, and I got a taste of it during training, like how you should swing the weapon, where he'd dodge, and you must do a series of action in one single breath, and have to be more careful as such.

"I have great expectations for the film, since Eighth Master is the world renowned martial arts director. He hasn't directed any films in many years, so I especially look forward to its release, especially this type of kungfu film."

On hearing Yuen Wo Ping was casting her, Zhou Xun wondered if she would get to fight , only to learn that she'd merely be playing a drama role, but "Having left a good impression on Eighth Master in True Legend, I'd get the chance to have fight scenes in future collaborations."

Playing Zhao Wen Zhuo's wife, Zhou Xun is very moved by the script too, "This character stirs me immensely, what touches me most is after a major turnabout of events, she suddenly becomes very strong, her husband relies on her encouragements, her love, to grow up.

As UNDP China National Goodwill Ambassador, Zhou Xun, who went green after watching An Inconvenient Truth, has been actively spreading word on environmental sustainability and raising environmental awareness in the view of the urgency of climate change, advising everyone on the set to use recyclable products, like bringing their own crockery rather than disposable ones, etc.

On a separate occasion, Zhou Xun says, "Statistically, raising livestock for meat is responsible for one quarter of the world's greenhouse gases. Many green organisations are encouraging people to cut down on meat. I'm basically a vegetarian now, hardly taking any meat now, I believe that everyone should try to go on vegetarian diet at least once a week."

According to Guo Xiao Dong, he plays an ardently patriotic person, a hot-blooded youth who's inspired by Beggar Su to stand up against foreign invaders. Annd, under Beggar Su's guidance, he rises up in ranks from a foot soldier. Guo Xiao Dong says that he's very glad to be able to work with Yuen Wo Ping and hopes to achieve breakthrough in the film.

True Legend, produced by Edko Films, Shanghai Film Group, and Beijing New Times Film Culture and Development, is eyeing a summer 2009 release. Sina

Nice site, Doug

It'll be interesting to see if Bai Ye can keep that blog going.

Edko lines up stellar cast for Yuen Wo-ping's True Legend
    Sen-lun Yu in Beijing
    03 Nov 2008 19:15

Renowned action choreographer Yuen Wo-ping (The Forbidden Kingdom, Kill Bill) is directing a martial arts biopic, True Legend, starring Chiu Man-cheuk, Taiwanese pop singer Jay Chou, Michelle Yeoh and Chinese actors Zhou Xun and Guo Xiaodong.

Edko (Beijing) Management and Consulting Ltd, the Beijing-based subsidiary of Hong Kong-based Edko Films, has announced that it is co-producing the film with Shanghai Film Group and Beijing New Times Film Culture and Development.

Yuen directed the 1978 martial arts action title Drunken Fist, which propelled Jackie Chan from being a virtual unknown to an action star. However, Yuen has not directed a film for the past 12 years, during which time he has been known as an action director, with credits including the Matrix film series and the two Kill Bill films.

Set in the Qing Dynasty, True Legend tells the story of So Chan, a wealthy man obsessed with kung-fu, who fell from grace to become a beggar after he and his family became the victims of conspiracies. He later transformed himself into a martial arts master, patriot and folk hero, honoured as the "King of Beggars".

The same story has been previously adapted into several films and TV dramas including Yuen's 1993 film So Hat-yi and Gordon Chan's 1992 King Of Beggars, starring Stephen Chow.

Chiu (Once Upon A Time In China 4, The Legend Of Fong Sai-Yuk) will portray the master So Chan, while Jay Chou will play a master who inspired So during his time of frustration. Zhou Xun will play So's wife and Chinese actor Guo Xiaodong will play So's opponent. Michelle Yeoh's character is yet to be announced, according to Yuen at a press conference in Beijing.

The film started shooting last month in Huang Shan of Anhui Province and Beijing. The release date is set for mid-2009.

In addition to True Legend, Edko Films is also producing Tian Zhuangzhuang's Warrior And The Wolf for 2009 release. Maggie Q and Japanese actor Jo Odagiri co-star in the historical action drama. Edko is co-producing the film with Japan's Ogura Jimusyo Co, China's Perfect World Culture and Singapore-based MediaCorp Raintree Pictures.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this movie is getting alot of buzz among american distributors

i'm thinking mostly because its yuen woo ping who has created a brand name so to speak here in the states, this movie just might get a theater realease hopefully not buy WC. while they have done wonders with dragon dynasty. they have a bad track record on theater releases when it comes to MA films. hell china won't even let them film there next movie shanghai in shanghai because of what happened with the chen kage film. i hope someone like rogue or lionsgate or warner gets it. they'll make a better release.

interesting tidbit

I just heard of someone else being connected with this film, one of our recent cover masters no less. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to disclose it yet so I'm taking the road of prudence and letting y'all guess. All should be revealed soon enough. Word is he leaves for China to film next month.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wang Ziping?

I'm afraid we sold out of our 1998 July issue a long time ago. Besides, Wang Ziping is dead, so he's not the cover master that's going to be in True Legend. Unless you meant the other person on that cover, Wang's granddaughter, Grace Wu-Monnat, who is still very much alive. It's not her either.

Click below for pics.
    Jay Chou Supports Kung Fu Master
    2008-11-11 11:04:07 CRIENGLISH.com

Pop singer-turned actor Jay Chou is seen in Yuen Woo-Ping's upcoming action film "True Legend." Chou plays a minor role supporting Chiu Man-Cheuk, whose character Su Qi-Er is a legendary martial-arts master. The film, which began shooting last week, also stars actress Zhou Xun. It is a remake of Yuen Woo-Ping's own 1993 film "Su Qi-Er," known in the West as "Fist of the Red Dragon."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm afraid we sold out of our 1998 July issue a long time ago. Besides, Wang Ziping is dead, so he's not the cover master that's going to be in True Legend. Unless you meant the other person on that cover, Wang's granddaughter, Grace Wu-Monnat, who is still very much alive. It's not her either.

Click below for pics.

Glad there's the online article. Thanks Gene!

I'm interested in Wang Ziping because of his Muslim background. I'm trying to find as much information as I can on Muslim kung fu in China. Heck, information on Islam in China in general. Google and Yahoo haven't served me well.

I don't have a guess for who the True Legend is.

Well, that's a little OT...

...but check out these other cover stories; they both have Muslim elements:

The Muslim Master of the Old Empire: An interview with Grandmaster Ma Xianda by Gigi Oh, with Gene Ching

Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional by Gene Ching and Gigi Oh

You should also search Tantui and Chaquan. There's a lot on our Shaolin forum here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks Gene. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

small update

gonna try and keep this thread alive and breathing if only because its about begger su who has always intrigued me. True legend update

Now Playing

in Asia
    Friday February 12, 2010
    True to form
    By MICHAEL CHEANG
    cschuin@thestar.com.my

Action director Yuen Wo Ping’s take on the legendary Beggar So comes with new elements in True Legend.

THE legend of a crazy, drunken beggar who is a martial arts expert proficient in a certain alcohol-induced fighting style has been made into movies before.

So what makes True Legend – the latest take on the legendary So Chan (better known as So Hak Yi or Beggar So), one of the most renowned martial arts exponents in China’s history – different from all its predecessors?

Firstly, it marks action choreography maestro Yuen Woo Ping’s return to the director’s chair for his first movie since 1996’s Tai Chi 2.

Secondly, with the “retirement” of Jet Li and the slacking standards of Jackie Chan, True Legend features the timely return of another martial arts star after a long hiatus from the silver screen – Vincent Zhao Wenzhuo.

Best known as the guy who took over Jet Li’s role as Wong Fei Hong in Once Upon A Time In China 4 and 5, he has also crossed fists with Li in Fong Sai Yuk, as well as starred in other films such as Green Snake and The Blade.

True Legend is Zhao’s first starring role in a movie since 2000’s Fist Power. After filming Fist Power, the actor from China realised that his career progression would be limited if he relied solely on his martial arts prowess.

He decided to give up big-budget film productions to concentrate on honing his acting skills through television productions instead.

“When I was in Hong Kong, directors told me to improve my acting skills, so I decided to do more TV shows to polish up on my acting,” he said during an interview after the premiere of the movie in Beijing recently.

Zhao made his last TV show four years ago, and since then he has been training hard and focusing on making his big screen comeback.

He was originally slated to play the villain in Chan’s Rush Hour 3, but when that fell through, he decided to stay in Los Angeles to train and learn English. It was there that he met Yuen, who then offered him the Beggar So role.

“I was chosen by Yuen himself. The script had been lying around for a couple of years, but they could not find a suitable actor to play the role,” he said.

The titular “true legend” of the movie is the famous “beggar fighter” So Chan, one of the most renowned martial arts exponents in China’s history.

He’s best known for his appearance as a filthy and downtrodden beggar as well as his powerful “drunken fist” martial arts stance.

In Yuen’s version of the legend, So Chan is a former general who wants to be left alone with his beloved wife Ying (Zhou Xun) and young son; and to practise martial arts in peace.

Tragedy befalls his family when his vengeful godbrother Yuan Lie (Andy On) murders So Chan’s father and takes his son away.

Living in exile in the mountains, So Chan takes on the appearance of a mad beggar, and continues honing his fighting skills with an imaginary “Lord of Wushu” (Jay Chou) while waiting for the day when he will settle the score with Yuan Lie.
    Yuen Woo Ping directing Vincent Zhao in a fight scene while filming True Legend.

The movie also stars Guo Xiao Dong, Datuk Michelle Yeoh, and the late David Carradine in one of his final performances before his death last year.

Drunken Stance fist

This is the first time Zhao has worked with Yuen as a director. “He is a very strict director who is very particular about what he wants.

“Sometimes, when we were doing an action scene and thought that the take was perfect, he would stop us and tell us to do it again.

“Many of the scenes and fights had to be shot a lot of times, and some were harder than others,” recalled Zhao.

According to Zhao, all those years of working on TV series have served him well. He is making his comeback to film armed with a lot more confidence and a more serious approach to his acting.

“I think my performance in this movie is much better than it used to be in my earlier films. Even though my fighting is relatively good, I would like to be known for my acting. I want to be known as a real actor, and not just a martial arts actor.”

Fans of Hong Kong cinema should be fami*liar with the drunken fist martial arts that So Chan practises in the movie.

Jackie Chan was amongst the first to popularise the stance through his Drunken Fist movies; and the stance has popped up in countless films ranging from Shaw Brothers’ classic movies to Stephen Chow’s slapstick flicks.

However, Zhao stressed that True Legend features a version of the drunken fist that viewers have never seen before on film, because Yuen wanted to move away from all the usual stereotypes associated with the stance.

“At the time when I was learning martial arts, I encountered many versions of drunken fists. There is the southern one, the northern one, even one where you fight while lying or sitting on the floor!” said Zhao.

“For this movie, Yuen specifically told me not to strike the usual poses associated with the drunken fist. He wanted me to incorporate the ‘drunkenness’ into the movements, so it would look more natural and real.

“Our version of the drunken fist is a lot more different from Chan’s – ours is more realistic, and is almost as if we created a whole new style.”

Because the drunken fist is hardly a conventional martial art, Zhao went through two months of vigorous training before filming.

“The drunken fist features a certain loss of balance while fighting. Many times, it is even fought while lying down on the floor!” he said.

“It also emphasises more on the upper part of the body, so I had to train that part of my body, and also lose weight so my movements would be more agile. I lost about 9kg in a month through exercise and a strict diet.”

Zhao’s main concern on the film set was getting injured, because Yuen was so adamant that the fighting looked real. The actors and stuntmen were instructed to deliver their blows for real.

“This movie has been one of the hardest to film, compared to the Wong Fei Hong movies. It’s not just the amount of fighting we did, but the intensity and the fact that it was all real action,” said Zhao.

“We have lots of great actors, and a good director, so we were never worried about the box office. Besides, with Yuen around, you can be sure our action scenes will be great.

“Despite directing the action in so many other movies, I’m sure he would have kept some of his best and unique ideas for his own comeback movie!”
    Another epitaph for Carradine. Wonder if it will top Break?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Malaysia didn't care for it

No mention of the 3D. I probably wouldn't have been as amused by Avatar without the 3D.
    Saturday February 13, 2010
    Not-so-true narrative
    Review by S.B.TOH

Yuen Woo Ping’s True Legend is supposed to be the true story of a martial arts legend, so why does it seem overly familiar and even clichéd?

News of Yuen Woo Ping’s return to the director’s chair in True Legend had martial arts movie fans in a tizzy, and why not?

Long before Yuen found fame and acclaim for choreographing the fight sequences in The Matrix movies and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, he was carving a little niche for himself as a maker of pretty decent martial arts movies.

Which self-respecting fan hasn’t watched Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow (1978) or Iron Monkey (1993)? The former heralded the arrival of a little-known actor named Jackie Chan, while the latter saw Donnie Yen in one of his best roles ever.

Surely True Legend cannot be anything but superlative? Surely, this year, we are all in for a treat not unlike last year’s Chinese New Year movie Ip Man; that is to say, an offering with a sprinkling of humour, a sense of fun, a dash of melodrama and, lots and lots of awesome kickass action?

Alas, True Legend isn’t the instant classic one might have expected. It’s not terrible but it’s not terribly good either.
    Precarious: Su Can (Zhao Wenzhuo) has to face his evil godbrother in order to save his family.

Blame it on leading man Zhao Wenzhuo, an emotionally detached centre within the vortex of churning emotions that is his character’s story; blame it on Andy On, whose villainous turn has a one-dimensional cartoonish feel to it; blame it on the screenplay, which for some reason places the most emotionally-charged and climatic fight scene somewhere in the middle.

It makes everything else that comes afterwards more than just a little anti-climatic. Prematurely sated – well, somewhat anyway – we’re liable to roll over and snore, unless something really good is served next, which unfortunately, never happens.

True Legend is the “true story” of Su Can, founder of the drunken fist style of kungfu so beloved of Chinese moviedom and a quasi-mythical figure in the mould of Wong Fei Hong and Hua Yuanjia (the subject of Fearless and Fist of Fury). The legendary figure has had many fictional incarnations – as Donnie Yen in Beggar So, as Chow Sing Chi in a comedy called King of Beggars, even as Chow Yuen Fatt in a 1980s’ TV serial.

Here, in his latest resurrection, Su Can’s story unfolds as if it were… a copy of Jet Li vehicle Fearless.

Whether by coincidence or by contrivance, True Legend’s roller-coaster account of Su Can’s eventful life, from personal tragedy to national triumph, is surprisingly similar to that 2006 movie. As with Fearless, the plot revolves around a family feud gone spectacularly wrong. There is similarly the hero’s retreat into the wilderness to find himself and perfect his art. And then there is his showdown in the finale with predatory foreigners to restore Chinese pride.

A case of great mind thinking alike or fools seldom differing? The answer lies somewhere in between.

The story begins promisingly enough with General Su Can leading a mission to rescue a Qing prince from the clutches of a band of bandits. Although he wins the post of governor for his exploits, Su Can decides to retreat from public life to concentrate on perfecting his martial arts, leaving his adopted brother Yuan Lie (Andy On) to shine in the limelight.

It proves to be a big mistake.

Five years hence, Yuan Lie returns home as governor. But it’s revenge rather than celebration he has in mind. Many moons ago, his real father, a rogue kungfu exponent, was killed by Su Can’s father, who went on to adopt Yuan Lie and his sister Xiao Ying (Zhao Xun). Having marinated in hatred and assorted bad thoughts all those years, Yuan Lie finally gets his chance at exacting terrible revenge….

The tone of the movie is capricious, unpredictable, with the shifts in mood being a little awkward. One moment, you think you are watching a somber and realistic movie; next thing you know, things have turned dark and fantastical (baddie with armour plates sewn into his body, anybody?) Then, before you know it, things are getting whimsical and a tad psychedelic, with Jay Chou appearing as a figment of our hero’s imagination.

The Taiwanese pop star turns up, dreamlike, every so often to instruct Su Can on new fighting techniques, including – I kid you not – a breakdance-like spinning move.

The rest of the movie is a hodgepodge of movies past, with luminaries like Michelle Yeoh and Lau Kar Fai making cameo appearances for no particular reason, not to mention the use of troupes from Yuen’s work in other movies: Yuan Lie’s black-clad henchmen look like they’ve sauntered in from the set of The Banquet; his male-female pair of assassins is a facsimile of a similar pair from Iron Monkey.

Even the tigers prowling the gladiatorial arena in the closing sequences look like something out of Gladiator, and absolutely surplus to requirement. The biggest disappointment, though, is the fight sequences, which show precious little of the balletic grace and kinetic energy that is Yuen’s trademark.

There is, no doubt, a good story in here somewhere, but it’s buried in too many clichés and formulaic elements to come good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An uninformative review

I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to see this in 3D.
    True legend of a martial arts hero

BASED on the story of a real-life hero, True Legend tells the tale of Su Can’s extraordinary journey in defying all odds to create a unique school of martial arts for the world to follow.

It chronicles his early days as a brave warrior of the Qing Dynasty. Later, he *becomes a legendary martial arts hero and is credited with creating the Drunken Fist style.

Su Can’s character (often referred to as Beggar Su) is popular among *Chinese folk heroes and many top *artistes *including Jackie Chan, Donnie Yen and even Stephen Chow in a comedic *version, have portrayed this character on the screen, big or small, through the years.

This time, real-life action star Vincent Zhao (Fong Sai Yuk, Once Upon a Time in China IV and V) takes on the legendary role of Su Can, his first film role in eight years.

Set in the Qing *Dynasty, Su is a rich man who loses everything in a turn of events and is forced onto the streets.

In all appearances, he seems to be a beggar whose only purpose is to get drunk every day and wander around the town aimlessly. But when his son is threatened in a situation, he regains his senses and the strength that has lain dormant inside him all this time.

He dreams of the day when he would refine his skills and achieve peace of mind, *ultimately creating what is known as the Drunken Fist style of martial arts. He becomes a legendary hero to the common people who bestow on him the title of King of the Beggars.

True Legend is directed by Yuen Woo-ping, who made a name for *himself choreographing the brilliant action *sequences in Kill Bill Vols 1 and 2, The Matrix series as well as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Yuen’s years of training in martial arts since young have stood him in good stead as he went on to become an actor, producer and director, not to mention an award-winning action choreographer.

With him at the helm of True Legend, you can expect nothing but the best where action is concerned.

Award-winning mainland China *actress Zhou Xun (Perhaps Love, The Banquet, Painted Skin) plays Su’s wife together with a stellar cast that includes Datuk Michelle Yeoh and four-time Golden Globe nominee David Carradine.

Also in the film is Jay Chou, Taiwan’s leading pop singer, who has made the crossover into film with such successes as Initial D, Curse of the Golden Flower, Kung Fu Dunk and Secret.

Although Chou’s role is relatively small, as – believe it or not – Su’s martial arts master, his costume and image is something to behold. Yuen describes his *character as that of a ‘kung fu god’.

Another face to watch out for is screen fighting legend Gordon Liu (Drunken Monkey, Kill Bill Vols 1 and 2, Star Runner) who *tackles a character that looks somewhat like a character in another film, complete with white flowing brows.

Last but not least is Andy Onn who makes for an impressively chilling *villain. This fast-rising *martial arts talent in Asia won the best new artiste award for his performance in Star Runner (2003) and is set to mesmerise again in True Legend.

With excellent action *sequences and boasting a cast of literally who’s who of the entertainment *industry, this is one movie that is bursting with star power. – *Sharon Wong
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A dated ttt review

I'm surprised the whole 3D aspect isn't discussed that much. Perhaps the 3D release is very limited.
    Truly legendary hero
    Amir Hafizi
    Thursday, February 11th, 2010 12:45:00

One thing's for sure, you can always depend on Yuen Woo Ping to dish out a traditional kung fu movie like True Legend.

Yuen was behind such classics like Drunken Master, Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Tai Chi Master, Iron Monkey and Wing Chun — all of which are timeless, traditional kung fu movies.

True Legend does not disappoint in that respect, staying true to the genre. This is the first film Yuen is directing after a long hiatus.

The last films he directed prior to True Legend were Iron Monkey 2 and Tai Ji Quan, in 1996!

Furthermore, Yuen's father (who passed away in 1979) was the legendary Simon Yuen — one of the most recognisable Asian faces in the world for his portrayal as Beggar So.

You know, the red-nosed drunkard who taught Wong Fei Hung the Drunken Fist Style? This is interesting because True Legend is about Beggar So — how he came to be a beggar and how he developed such astounding martial art styles such as the Drunken Fist.

Beggar So started as Su Can (played by Vincent Zhao), a general in the imperial army. He was doing very well, and even managed to save the Prince in an adrenaline-pumping opening to the movie.

In order not to offend his adopted brother Yuan Lie (Andy On) — who was in the same army, Su Can left for home to live with his wife Xiao Ying (Zhou Xun) who is also his foster father's ward.

Five years later, Yuan Lie returned as a governor and did some really nasty things to Su Can, which sets him off on a path of self-destruction that involves drinking, bouts of self-pity, crying and training with mystical, semi-real entities.

Xiao Ying is the devoted wife who saves Su Can's life, nurses him back to health and motivates him to be stronger than he could ever imagine.

Meanwhile, Yuan Lie keeps hold of Su Can's young son, believing the boy to be his only family left. This is a setup for one major dramatic kung fu showdown, which is what True Legend is.

Filled to the brim with big-name stars such as Jay Chou, Datuk Michelle Yeoh, Zhou Xun and Vincent Zhao, director Yuen manages to focus on the story.

The kung fu is good, utilising just enough wire work to make it beautiful, without going overboard and turning silly although some bits could have been done better.

Drunken Fist, for example, should just be Drunken Fist — not an amalgam of Drunken Fist, Capoeira and Muay Thai.

Break-dancing in Drunken Fist is a bit... off. It was much better seeing the Five Venom Fist, just like in old Tony Wong comics or Jin Yong's wuxia novels. It is a Chinese New Year movie, and a martial arts one at that, so going traditional all the way would have been nice.

The drama is overly dramatic, just like how they used to make them in the '70s. All the crying and emotions are presented in a way that you wouldn't miss it. It's just really out there, in your face.

As if the characters are screaming, "We are crying We are crying! We are sad! We are sad!"

However, the performance of Zhou Xun stood out in this film. She brought emotional intensity in an understated manner. It is easy to see why a lot of people regard her as the top actress in China.

Her homely, cute looks also helps a lot. Also, look out for scene-stealers in Jay Chou, as the God of Wushu and Datuk Michelle Yeoh as Sister Yu.

Though Chou's acting has been criticised before, his cheeky portrayal as a figment of Su Can's imagination, or possibly a true martial arts deity, works, and is a definite crowd pleaser.

This is basically an entertaining movie, except for one thing. It should have been 20 minutes shorter.

See, the whole thrust of the movie was about Su Can's personal battle against a rogue member of his family. However, towards the end, it became more about a nationalistic plot of teaching some foreigners respect.

Though this twist does open doors for a David Carradine cameo — one of his last performances — it was a bit jarring.

Either focus on that from the beginning, like the phenomenal Ip Man, or ditch it altogether. Introducing that angle so far into the movie might make some moviegoers check their handphones for the time.

All in all, True Legend is a fine kung fu movie. Yuen shows why he is one of, if not the best kung fu directors in the business, with this traditional, back to basics offering.

It is also perhaps a homage to his father Simon Yuen, which makes it heart-warming for a Chinese New Year film. True Legend opens today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips