Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: True Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I have this dim memory of a 3D kung fu film that came out back in the days of the red/blue 3D glasses, back when 3D boomed in the horror genre. Was there one back then or am I just hallucinating again?
    Indeed there was. I'm not certain about the title, but it might have been "Dynasty" or "Kung Fu Dynasty(?)". ( I could be wrong about the title). Probably from 1977 or thereabouts. Of course, this was years before the U.S. TV soap opera "Dynasty" came along. There were most likely several alternate English titles. It starred Tan Tao-Liang, who was renamed "Bobby Ming" for the movie. The white-haired villain was played by Pai Ying. The story looked to be set in at least in the Ming Dynasty, and probably much earlier. Fairly poor fights, and there was a lot of obvious weapons posing, facing the camera for the 3D effect.

Beaten to the punch by Doug by one day

True Legend is Yuen Woo Ping's homage to the golden age kung fu genre mated with Hollywood's trend towards comic book blockbusters. It's a creation legend film like the first installment of the Batman/Superman/Spiderman/Iron Man franchises, but this time, it's Zhou Wenzhou as Beggar Su. I've always liked Zhou. I felt he got a raw deal trying to fill Jet Li's shoes for OUATIC. He was great in Blade. As for Woo Ping, he remains the master of comic book choreography. Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Kill Bill, Fearless, Forbidden Kingdom, Kung Fu Hustle - these are superhero fight scenes, with all the outrageous physics and delicious gratuitous high flying wire work. It's hilarious stuff - wonderfully entertaining if you can suspend belief for a spell. And Woo Ping delivers here. There's some fresh ideas in his comic book choreography, along with some nice single shot sequences over a dozen complex exchanges, as well as an absurd SPOILER pro wrasslin' finale END SPOILER. If you like hard hitting realism in your kung fu films, this is not the film for you. But if you like superhero movies, this is pretty entertaining. This is what Storm Warriors should have been.

Chollywood CGI is still lagging. A lot of the CGI backgrounds are dream sequences, so that is forgivable. And the videogame quality of the CGI environments is redeemed with some gorgeous panoramic scenery.

Like Doug, I was put off by the flow of the film. It's a classic "hero is defeated>hero hides to train>hero takes revenge" tale, but there's a false ending. After the revenge is served, then there's more, and I was like "there's more?" That could have been cut out for a much tighter film, but I was amused at where it went, even if it undid the film's story arc.

The kid was really annoying, especially in the end. The love story with Zhou Yun was a bit trying, although Zhou was cute and there was something romantic and kinky about her sweating into the vats. The cameos from Cung, Michelle and David were spot on. I wasn't quite as bothered by Jay Chou as he had on this hysterical costume that reminded me of classic Shaw Brothers flicks. It's a gorgeous film overall and when the fight scenes hit, it's signature Woo Ping magic.

I would have enjoyed this film 100 times more if I saw it in 3D. It's perfect for 3D, even post production 3D. I doubt it'll get released theatrically in the U.S. however, as Americans aren't used to seeing the white villain caricatures. That would be as popular here as Red Dawn 2010 will be in China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i was thinking of the wrestling part gene, and actually that could have come in the middle of the film, after the wife leaves, that could have been his first stop on the way to saving his wife and how he perfects the drunken fist, then take us to the end. wouldve actually made it a tiny bit more intense. but really that entire last 20 minutes just didnt even need be. i wonder what they were thinking on that.

True Legend.... I enjoyed it all the way through, but when it suddenly became 'modern era' with the arrival of a steam boat, myheart sank. It seems that the Chinese film industry now can't make a martial arts flick without it being a vehicle for anti-Westernism. The ending it a completely unnecessary, bolted on, film ruining, racist, ridiculous, anti-Western, now essential, fight of a small Chinese guy against massive, cheating, child eating Western fighters. It was racist, it was stupid, and it was propoganda. Does the sentiment, or indeed cash, for this come from Beijing I wonder.

One hopes that having the ending of a fight against a steroid munching, child beating Western pig is now such a cliche that we'll be spared it - either that, or the God of Western Boxing will visit himself upon the hero, and teach him a reallesson.
    It's not worth a penny!

True Legend....

I'm not sure if any of you have had the chance to see it, all I can say is if you haven't you should.... Vincent Zhao plays the legendary kung fu master "Begger So." That being said this movie may have been the last if not one of the last movie's that David Carradine played a roll in....
    RAYNYSC

Did anyone here see this in 3D?

Just curious. Woo Ping just got a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Fantastic Fest, but the bulk of this interview is about TL.
    * September 25, 2010, 7:00 PM ET
    Hong Kong Legend Yuen Woo Ping’s ‘Fantastic’ Past, Future
    By Jen Yamato

After four decades choreographing and directing some of the best-known martial arts films in contemporary Hong Kong cinema, Yuen Woo Ping is making the first American film festival appearance of his career.

The legendary Hong Kong filmmaker, director of such genre classics as “Drunken Master” (1978) and “Iron Monkey” (1993) and action choreographer on international hits “The Matrix” (1999), “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” (2000), “Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2″ (2003), and “Kung Fu Hustle” (2004), arrived this week in Austin, Texas to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award at the sixth annual Fantastic Fest.

In honor of Yuen’s award this year, two films screen Saturday during the genre-centric film festival, book-ending the influential director’s career: Yuen’s 1978 directorial debut “Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow,” starring a young Jackie Chan and Yuen’s own father Yuen Siu-tien, and his latest film, “True Legend,” featuring Vincent Zhao as the famed Drunken Fist master Beggar So/Su Can.

“True Legend,” recently acquired by newbie distributor Indomina Releasing, features previous Yuen collaborators Michelle Yeoh, Gordon Liu, and the late David Carradine and mixes Yuen’s signature action flair with CG environments and elements of street dance. Speakeasy spoke with Yuen about his film, inspirations, and what he learned from working closely with Quentin Tarantino and the Wachowski brothers.

What did you see in the epic story of Beggar So/Su Can that inspired you to make this film?

Bill Kong, the producer, approached me with the script and I thought the story structure was pretty good. I thought I could put some fight choreography in this movie to make it flow more. That’s why I chose this movie; it just depends on the script.

Your father, Yuen Siu-tien, was well known for portraying the character Beggar So in your 1978 film “Drunken Master;” Vincent Zhao plays a version of the same character in “True Legend.” To what extent did you mean to make “True Legend” in homage to your father’s legacy?

There is a connection; my father played Beggar So before and was actually very successful playing it. There was some idea that I wanted to continue his character myself, to keep him going.

In “True Legend” you make use of computer generated environments and effects. How much has your filmmaking style changed over the years, especially as technology advanced to allow use of digital elements?

I put a lot of new ideas into “True Legend.” But in this movie, computer graphics are still only support for the actual martial arts fight sequences, because you can never replace the true movement of actual actors fighting. Here specifically I put street dance elements into the choreography to make it more visually appealing; I always try to put new things into my movies, to give new things to the audience to enjoy.

Considering the many films you’ve either directed or choreographed, each with its own blend of different styles of martial arts, do you find yourself seeking new forms for each film?

All of my films have to be different and have different fighting styles and choreography. Otherwise the audiences wouldn’t watch them — they’d rather watch one movie if they all had the same style. So in “True Legend,” the reason I put the street dance, for example, into the choreography was that I thought there were some similarities between the street dance and Drunken Fist, that there was a possibility that I could combine the two together. Every film has to have some different style, some new element.

Your cast includes popular veteran actors who you’ve worked with before and are well known not only in martial arts cinema but internationally in film. How did Michelle Yeoh, Gordon Liu, and David Carradine come to join your cast?

I chose Michelle Yeoh and Gordon Liu because they already have an audience; they have reputations in martial arts film. The characters they play actually are pretty well suited to them; Michelle is a medicine expert and pretty good in martial arts, and Michelle is really good in martial arts so I asked her to play the role because it fit her. I knew David from “Kill Bill,” and in this movie we needed a Russian manager of the fighting club, so I thought David could manage this role. I was good friends with David and that’s why I asked him to play this character.

Having worked with him years ago, what is your best memory of working with David Carradine?

One interesting thing happened when I worked with David in a training session for “Kill Bill.” David thought he knew about martial arts, so he paid a little less attention to what I said. He’d say, “I know it, I know it!” while everyone else was putting a lot of effort into rehearsal. [Laughs] He thought he knew it so he’d just play around with the weapons. But he was a very decent person and we established a very good friendship during training and filming. I maintained relationships with all of those actors. So once I figured out that this role might be good for David, I just asked him to come over and play it.

Your films and your legacy have inspired a number of Western fans and filmmakers, some of whom you’ve collaborated with. What was your reaction to discovering that you’d influenced a new generation of filmmakers halfway around the world — some of whom, like Quentin Tarantino and the Wachowskis, you eventually collaborated with?

It’s a great thing, and it’s actually a mutual influence because I brought my movies to America and I’m also inspired by Western movies. It goes both ways. What I was most influenced by in working with the Wachowskis was their use of computer graphic technology. What they did in “The Matrix” matched my choreography perfectly to make the film work. From Tarantino, one thing I learned was how to make violence vicious. [Laughs] But I rarely use that.
    I heard RZA presented Woo Ping with the award.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Found those RZA pix

Fantastic Fest's Unforgettable Events: Yuen Woo Ping's Tribute
    September 26, 2010
    by Alex Billington
    Yuen Woo Ping & RZA - Fantastic Fest 2010

How many film festivals can you go to where the RZA himself presents a Lifetime Achievement award in the form of a sword to filmmaker & martial arts choreographer Yuen Woo Ping before screening his new film True Legend. Oh and after watching that and a fascinating Q&A, they showed a print of the first film Woo Ping directed, Snake in Eagle's Shadow. And if you're still not tired then, you can go and sing karaoke at an all-night party held at the Alamo Drafthouse's sister lounge, The Highball. Yep, that is Fantastic Fest for you, and there's nothing like it in the world. And I keep coming back every year because it's that awesome.

I had to take a quick trip back to Los Angeles, so my first day at Fantastic Fest consisted of watching Patrick Hughes' Red Hill, a kind of modern Aussie western, Yuen Woo Ping's True Legend and Snake in Eagle's Shadow, and a second screening of Jim Mickle's Stake Land (which I first saw in Toronto and loved). But it was that "Woo Ping Experience" (that I'll call it) that reminded me why I love this fest so **** much. It's not just that they brought him out here, but it's the love they have for him (he got two standing ovations) and also that Tim League decided to show one of his classics, too. Like I said, where else does that happen?

First, before I go any further, I must say that I totally enjoyed True Legend. Especially comparing it Snake in Eagle's Shadow, which was made in 1978, it definitely seems like Woo Ping was trying to push the limits of martial arts yet again with this new film, both in terms of the fight choreography and the visuals. Maybe it's because I'm admittedly not the most experienced in martial arts films, but I've never seen anything like it, and Chiu Man Cheuk truly kicks some serious ass in numerous fight sequences (they're incredible, all martial arts fans need to see this!). It has a little taste of everything, all kinds of different fights (and a huge "battle" sequence at the end), and although the script is a bit rough around the edges, I enjoyed every second of it.

True Legend has three big acts set across different time periods and it follows Chiu Man Cheuk as Su Can who, while a kung fu / wushu expert, decides to leave the military during the Qing dynasty to start a family. But of course his evil "blood brother" eventually turns against him and comes back for him. The story is a bit convoluted and jumps around rather suddenly, but I loved the style, the characters, particularly the villain who is a lot darker than I would've ever expected, and I especially loved the fights. Plus, there's a sequence or two where the "student has become the teacher" and it seems as if Woo Ping was inspired a bit by The Matrix (which he did the fight choreography for anyway) with some bullet time-like moments, but they were still great to see.

Although I love seeing all kinds of new, obscure, and highly anticipated films at the different festivals, my favorite moments are the truly once-in-a-lifetime experiences I'll never forget, that only each particular festival can offer. And at Fantastic Fest, the presentation with Yuen Woo Ping last night was one of those unforgettable experiences that I do believe only Tim League and Fantastic Fest could have (and did) deliver. Toronto Film Festival's Midnight Madness head Colin Geddes was even at the event to support Woo Ping and deliver his Lifetime Achievement sword (see a photo here). There was just something truly wonderful about seeing Woo Ping in person and RZA bowing to him and everything about the event.

Fantastic Fest isn't your typical film festival. They can bring in big talent just as easily as some of the other more well-known mainstream fests, but it's still as far from a mainstream fest as it can possibly be. It's a place where film geeks, movie nerds, genre fans and everyone in-between can come and watch great films, meet great people, and just have a **** good time. This is now my third year attending and only my first full day at the fest, but I'm already having a blast. Yuen Woo Ping's True Legend was a great martial arts escape and an amazing experience. I can't wait to see what else Tim League has in store for us over the next few days, as I'm sure there's a few more surprises and many more unforgettable evenings. Stay tuned for more coverage from Fantastic Fest from both Jeremy and myself.
    Very cool, RZA, as always.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu and Breakdance in Martial Arts Movies ( True Legend 2010 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBvltGVs9I8

Be sure to check it out and let me know what you think of this
    Last edited by Jeanaro; 01-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.

How about ballroom dancing and Muay Thai?

Check out Merantau.

I'm merging this with TL.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A US Release on 5/13/2011?

No mention of 3D or the scope of the release. That's interesting timing as it's just ahead of KFP2.
    True Legend Poster and Clip Released
    Posted 03.15.11 by reelz

If it's been awhile since you've had your fix of epic martial arts movies, Indomina is set to release True Legend on May 13, 2011. Directed by Yuen Woo Ping, who was also the martial arts choreographer for The Matrix trilogy, Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2, and Jet Li's Fearless, True Legend stars Vincent Zhao, Jay Chou (Green Hornet), and Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). A previously unreleased poster has been dropped in our lap and a clip of some of the action.

Here's a synopsis:

In TRUE LEGEND, director and acclaimed martial art choreographer Yuen Woo Ping brings the epic tale of Su Can, Master of the Drunken Fist. A well-respected martial arts teacher and a good husband and father, Su Can’s journey begins when his vengeful brother, Yuan, returns from war. Seeking revenge from a dark family history, Yuan, armed with the Five Venom Fist, destroys Su Can’s family and ultimately his dignity. Reduced to a beggar, Su Can finds apprenticeship from Lord Wushu and adapts to a new form of martial arts, the Drunken Fist. At peace with himself, he regains his strength to reclaim his life and returns home to claim retribution and his family honor. Good versus evil, two skilled rivals battle to become the ultimate warrior.
    This poster is lame. It looks like a cheap MMA promotion.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

poster is ultra lame. and maybe thats what they were angling for gene, to make it look like a mma movie, which makes it even more lame. hopefully if they are smart they took the last 20 minutes of the film and placed it somewhere after he begins searching for his wife, cause those last 20 minutes really did this film in.

The new poster is better

Classic Poster for Yuen Woo-Ping's Martial Arts Flick 'True Legend'
    March 23, 2011
    Source: AICN
    by Alex Billington

Any martial arts / kung fu fans out there? You've got to check this out! AICN has debuted a classic poster for True Legend, the newest martial arts epic from Yuen Woo-Ping, kung fu choreographer on The Matrix films, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Fearless, and director of numerous martial arts classics including Snake in Eagle's Shadow, Twin Warriors and Iron Monkey. I saw the movie at Fantastic Fest last year and loved it (here's my write-up about it), it's an awesome kung fu flick that has some amazing fight scenes, as Woo-Ping really is the master. The poster really makes me want to see it again. Check it out!

Yuen Woo-Ping's True Legend Poster

Su Qi-Er (Man Cheuk Chiu) is a wealthy man living during the Qing Dynasty who loses his fortune and reputation as a result of a conspiracy against him. After being forced out onto the streets, Su dedicates his life to martial arts and reemerges as a patriotic hero known as the "King of Beggars." That's quite a plot.

True Legend is directed by Chinese filmmaker and legendary martial arts choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping, who has directed numerous movies including Iron Monkey, Fist of the Red Dragon, and The Red Wolf. The script was written by To Chi-Long, of Blood Brothers, Jet Li's Fearless and Murderer previously. Indomina Releasing is bringing True Legend to limited theaters in the US starting May 13th. Who's going to see it?
    Another limited release. I went to a screener for Sucker Punch last night at the S.F. Metreon and was amused to see a standee for The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman. I forgot that was still out on limited release.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Watched this last night. I liked it overall, classic woo ping action, which was enjoyable. I enjoyed the story up until the last 20 min or so. I thought it was over but then there was more and i was like WTF??? The son was annoying as hell. I really liked the villain and his kung fu, pretty cool. I got to admit it though, i totally forgot that Cung Le was in this until i saw the credits at the end, then i had to go online to fond out who he played and even then i had to do a double take cause of the make up and costume.

Good stuff overall. 6.5/10

thats the general feeling amongst everyone. god till the last 20.