Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes you a Shaolin

A Certain Point Of View

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    I think this thread is sufficient, and there is sufficient proof in the pudding to show you need to expand your definition to suit what the reality of Shaolin is, it's not my opinion of what Shaolin is.

Does that make sense?
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to, depend entirely upon our point of view." - Obi Wan Ken-obi

The term Shaolin has been reinvented so many times over the centuries. It is now IMO a term used to embody all of the mythical abilities within TCMA training. The term is more an icon now, as opposed to the, who is and who isn't "real" Shaolin. There are current teachers in TCMA that I would consider to have excellent lineage. I think the point of this thread was to discuss what Shaolin means from your point of view. How has practicing what you consider to be "Shaolin" altered your approach to your training vs. say if you had studied traditional Muay Thai? Saying you are "Shaolin" is as much an inspirational practice, as it is a documented fact. But, this is just my point of view.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to, depend entirely upon our point of view." - Obi Wan Ken-obi
    That may be, but I can state and anyone can empirically verify that any given triangle has three sides. That is a truth which does not depend on one's subjective point of view.

So far there is a lot of stick whacking going on.

My Point Exactly

That may be, but I can state and anyone can empirically verify that any given triangle has three sides. That is a truth which does not depend on one's subjective point of view.

So far there is a lot of stick whacking going on.
    That is my point exactly. There is no one unquestionable, indisputable, absolutely positively "True Shaolin" anymore. The authenticity of lineages that claim connection to "True Shaolin" is constantly debated in China, the U.S. and anywhere else more than three people have heard of TCMA. The "truth" concerning Shaolin as it exists today, doesn't settle the debate either. It it is a creation of the PRC, and not as old or genuine as the ideal that the term Shaolin embodies. At it's best Shaolin refers to a high standard of excellence one could aspire to in order to continually push towards mastery of body and self. At it's worst Shaolin is a term that uses naive fascination with Chinese mythology to make a profit. Show me. Don't tell me. I train where I do because I have seen, not been told about the abilities of my instructors. Their concept of "Shaolin" and mine are alike. They walk their Shaolin talk. I don't need some ancient scroll to tell me I study Shaolin. I don't need some historian to validate my school's lineage. I've used what I have learned, and it worked great. It's also made me a better person as a whole. That's all the validation I think anyone should need from the MA they choose to study. JMO
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    ... There is no one unquestionable, indisputable, absolutely positively "True Shaolin" anymore.
    the ONLY way to make this statement, is out of ignorance. Which means your point is not mine. A Shaolin monk should have provable knowledge of Ch'an Buddhism, according to their sect, knowledge internal to the sect which is knowable to other members, and should be exposed at the very least to Shaolin Gong fu if not exhibit mastery or proficiency, should be a member in a traceable lineage that predates at the very least, the 1928 Shi You San attacks- and when you look for these triangles you find, and it isn't that hard actually, that such triangles do in fact exist- despite whatever people might choose to believe or disbelieve- and they do in fact exhibit such knowledge. There is zero way any secular government could recreate esoteric Buddhist knowledge to the degree needed to pass the litmus test, nor could there be any provable motivation.

NONE of the actor monks have need of this kind of information and people STILL think they are the 'full deal.' So for the sake of the theory that the government recreated the Shaolin Temple, they clearly did. And to anyone who knows, no performance monk can hold a candle to, their existence and the existence of all the other shams, that does not delegitimize the recipients of the true transmissions. I have met several troops of these wushu players, they don't know the first thing- usually- about Ch'an. In fact I've taught them a few things!!!

Serious scholarly work has in fact been done, and while the current state of the temple may not help the case for these legitimate lineages existing in the public's collective mind, and of course the public arena especially as occupied by those without the necessary credentials to even offer a valuable opinion, is rife with debates and opinions, what are they worth?

They aren't worth jack ****.

The "debate" such as it is, doesn't even exist in Shaolin itself, or the surrounding area of temples and such, where many of these monks are well known and in fact many, like Xing Zhen, were precepted by their abbots. Can we really, seriously, truly expect the average Shaolin aficionado to know Xing Zhen's lineage and history? how would anyone find such information, if they did not go to the source, understand how to find out the information, and a host of other problems which need to be surmounted.

... I train where I do because I have seen, not been told about the abilities of my instructors. Their concept of "Shaolin" and mine are alike. They walk their Shaolin talk. I don't need some ancient scroll to tell me I study Shaolin. I don't need some historian to validate my school's lineage. I've used what I have learned, and it worked great. It's also made me a better person as a whole. That's all the validation I think anyone should need from the MA they choose to study. JMO
    Nothing you have stated here is exactly relevant to my point at all.

I'm happy for you? Plenty of legitimate Shaolin lineages have left the temple? As you say.

I'm happy you have found a good place and have become a good person. This can be said of any number of disciplines and practices, from playing chess to knitting, to joining a bridge club.

It doesn't change the fact that EVERY triangle has 3 sides, and it is not up to the triangle to fall over itself to SHOW YOU it's angles and shape.

The Merry Go Round

I'm glad that you have all this knowledge, and I'm happy it makes you secure in your argument. I'm not as ignorant as you might think. I just feel that Shaolin is to most people, an ideal rather than something that needs to be supported through documentation, and "litmus tests". The whole "real vs. not real" Shaolin argument is IMO, no different than Rep. vs. Dem. Ford vs. Chevy, or a religious debate. Both sides are completely convinced that they are right, and the other is wrong. Both sides can present mountains of "documented proof" that supports their argument. Despite all of this "proof" neither side will budge on their position. The whole thing becomes a merry-go-round. The OP was, "What makes YOU a Shaolin?" not, how much proof do you have that you're Shaolin. Sometimes merry-go-rounds are fun... for a while, and I do like a good debate. I'll ride this one at least 'til I get bored.

www.bentmonk.com

There are a lot of ways to regard how many sides a triangle has.

if it is 2 dimensional and consists of lines, then it has three sides outside, and three sides in! plus a top side! that's seven! Or, it can even be said to have nothing more than an inside and an outside.

If its 3 dimensional it has 5 sides!

and so on.

you could stretch your head.

It is important to acknowledge where information you have be given has come from. I agree. Not so much that you have a piece of paper. More so that you have demonstrable understanding.

The buddhism aspect is a sect all it's own, the martial arts aspect, not so much. because of diaspora over time, shaolin methods and ways have spread far and wide.

It is safe to say as well that even someone who lives or lived their entire life in the temple at any time in its history does not have the body of knowledge that is available through it.

Even more so now after 1500 years of accumulating said knowledge and spreading it to every continent on the planet. And it is changing in every iteration it has become.

No 2 monks are the same in what they know or what they teach or even how they teach. There can be a defined curriculum I suppose for everyone to delve into, but if the goal is to make it a lifestyle, is a curriculum enough?

most lines of teaching lean towards giving up whatever it was you learned and keep the principles intact more so than patterned memories .

So, if one is actively using the methods on whatever level, why cannot they be shaolin or at least be able to acknowledge that aspect of them self?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I can play the theme song to "Kung-Fu" on the recorder.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    No 2 monks are the same in what they know or what they teach or even how they teach. There can be a defined curriculum I suppose for everyone to delve into, but if the goal is to make it a lifestyle, is a curriculum enough?
    Interesting statement. I can tell from experience I have trained under a 32nd generation monk and a 34th generation monk. The two teaching styles are different. The 34 gen monk has explained it to me in this regards...."this is new shaolin" when I asked him why were certain excercises and movements different. He referred to my beginnings as "old shaolin".

I say the curriculum is just the outline or the guide for you to follow. The goal of making it a lifestyle is up to the practitioner. Some never see past the outline.

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk
    ... There is no one unquestionable, indisputable, absolutely positively "True Shaolin" anymore.
    From who's view? Ford or Chevy's? I disagree with this also. richard sloan adressed this quite well. The wushu players, demo tours, actor monks, even broadway does not "delegitimize the recipients of the true transmissions". So because all of these exist today at Shaolin doesn't mean a big red rubber VOID stamp is slammed on Shaolin.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Besides the martial art you practice, what makes you in particular a bonafide shaolin practitioner?
    To answer this question I say it's the way of life you live. To me shaolin symbolizes good, justice, martial arts and buddhism. I do the best to incorporate this into my everyday life, even on the job. Though my buddhism learning has a big need for improvement.

禪拳如一

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    禪拳如一

care to translate that or risk having it transliterated.

Only fair as this is an english forum. I mean, I could, but it might not have the same context as what you are trying to say with the statement.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    care to translate that or risk having it transliterated.

Only fair as this is an english forum. I mean, I could, but it might not have the same context as what you are trying to say with the statement.

Simply, Zen and martial art are non dual.

sufficient proof in the pudding

Great now I want pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Simply, Zen and martial art are non dual.
    ok, but we, each of us are. we cannot be anything but subjective about ourselves or any observations we make about ourselves or anything.

It is within our very nature of being to be dualistic in our approach to all things.

Even in zen there are sayings like "how can you know darkness if you have never experienced light?" and things of this sort which point at our dualistic nature in order to further understand them.

In martial art, how can you know martial art if you never express yourself martially? Another example of where dualism is key to our understanding of ourselves.

In and of themselves, perhaps so, but in context to human usage, they are anything but singular.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Even in zen there are sayings like "how can you know darkness if you have never experienced light?" and things of this sort which point at our dualistic nature in order to further understand them.
    not exactly.

you have to be careful...ch'an is intuitive and this is where a lot of people get tripped up.

not exactly.

you have to be careful...ch'an is intuitive and this is where a lot of people get tripped up.

Some just love to spin thier mind and keep spinning and spinning...